Sponsored by:

Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2024, 08:34 AM
ratt359
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by andy2111
Either a line level signal for the rear needs to be fed into the Bose amp (so attenuators are needed)
My understanding is that the Bose amp only takes the MOST input.

an amplified signal needs to go direct to the rear speakers (bypassing the amp) in which case attenuators are not needed
Is this correct? Surely the HU can only provide a small amount of amplification. In a non-Bose set-up, quadlock outputs will go the car amp. I would have thought an in-line amp would still be needed. If so, the using the (retrofitted) RCA outs would be preferable to using the quadlock outs.
Old 08-12-2024, 08:39 AM
andy2111
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 129 Posts

Well on my non Bose it's definitely sending out an amplified signal, so if its not designed to power speakers then I don't know why it's not simply a line level output?

I guess we need someone with Bose to try a few experiments to reduce the guesswork and give us something a bit more concrete to work with
The following users liked this post:
ratt359 (08-12-2024)
Old 08-12-2024, 08:49 AM
jadski
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by ZedZed;[url=tel:19590545
19590545]Great thread! His idea is an extension of my post above - he has added an additional amp, but there's no necessity to do that as the HU is easily capable of driving the rear speakers (for most people anyway). I very much like his approach though and for those prepared to buy and install an aftermarket 2ch amp, this is the way to go. Good find Ratt
I thought Z mentioned that they HU is capable of driving the rear speakers without an additional amp

obviously, I would have to disconnect the rear speakers from the Bose amp and connect the tapped wires from the quad lock directly to the rear speakers with an attenuator to control volume

Last edited by jadski; 08-12-2024 at 08:51 AM.
Old 08-12-2024, 09:08 AM
ratt359
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by jadski
I thought Z mentioned that they HU is capable of driving the rear speakers without an additional amp

obviously, I would have to disconnect the rear speakers from the Bose amp and connect the tapped wires from the quad lock directly to the rear speakers with an attenuator to control volume
As ​​​@andy2111 suggests, it's got to be worth a go. Perhaps a safer/less disruptive test would be to a connect a spare/cheap pair of 8 ohm loudspeakers to those quadlock outputs?
andy2111 (08-12-2024)
Old 08-12-2024, 11:56 AM
boxdriver
Racer

Received 244 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by jadski

I think we are making this harder than it is.
If you have a Bose amp that is running your system, you should be able to disconnect the rear speaker wires from it. Then connect the rear speaker wires directly to the rear outs from the HU (see jadski's schematic above). As Zed and Andy pointed out, these should be powered, so they will power the rear speakers just fine. If you do this, then there is no reason to add anything to control the volume because they are hooked up to the rear speaker outs, the fader should work to control the volume of the rears if they ae coming directly from the HU and not running thru an amp.
I believe the non-Bose systems are still utilizing and amp in their system, that is why there can be an issue with unwanted noise from tapping into powered speaker wires coming from the HU. So, this method should work for them as well.

Based on what everyone is saying about not having fade control in their systems no matter what setup they have (Bose/Fiber optic or non-Bose/wired), I believe that the PCM is sending a different signal to all speakers for their "surround sound", but the fading is actually controlled by the amp and not the HU. The HU just sends a signal to the amp on what the fade setting are, and the amp controls the volumes to each speaker. The Android HU controls the fade at the speaker outputs and doesn't send a signal to the amp. This would explain why nobody has fade control, no matter their setup. But this should also allow control of the rear speakers if they are connected directly to the HU and bypass the amp as I stated in my first couple paragraphs. At this point, this is a theory, but one that I am fairly confident in. Ratt359's suggestion about using a spare set of speakers to test this would be the easiest.

The following 3 users liked this post by boxdriver:
bmxtreme (08-12-2024), jadski (08-12-2024), ratt359 (08-12-2024)
Old 08-12-2024, 04:41 PM
drawz
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I think anyone that’s not getting rear speaker audio should figure out why before jumping to crazy work around solutions, especially without fully understanding how the system is designed to function. Trying to mix speaker level output to the rear with Bose via MOST for the front probably isn’t going to work well. Those Bose speakers are designed to be driven by a real amp, not the little chip amp built into the headunit. The wiring could be entirely different and the Bose amp may be handling the crossover duties.
Old 08-12-2024, 05:00 PM
Roman ACS
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 132 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by ZedZed
The factory system is only fiber optic on Bose systems, which not everyone has. In my wife's non-Bose Cayman the sound is definitely better since installing the Android HU. Also, the EQ is way better, so there is also the opportunity of fine-tuning the sound, which doesn't exist in the outdated PCM.

In my Panamera, which has Bose, I am not hearing any significant differences in sound TBH. (I am an experienced listener of very high quality audio systems). I am of the view that a DAD additional conversion makes negligible practical differences, even in high-end systems, let alone car systems.

But even if the sound from these units did suffer somewhat, that is more than compensated for by all the up-to-date features these units bring. Even Porsche are of the view that PCM 3.1 is not a satisfactory infotainment solution any more, which is why they have junked it (at last).
Your incorrect. all PCM systems are fiber systems. base, bose and burmeister. only CDR units do not use fiber.

Our website is now LIVE! please visit us at www.ACSByRoman.com

COUPON CODE "toys" FOR FREE INSTALL KIT!

On site install is available in the Philadelphia PA area as is Global shipping!

CLICK HERE JOIN OUR FACEBOOK GROUP
Old 08-13-2024, 04:02 AM
andy2111
Rennlist Member

I don't think that is correct. I have the base audio system and there are no fibre connectors at all in my car, and you can see that from the picture of my quadlock a few posts above. My original unit is a PCM eg with navigation
Old 08-13-2024, 04:11 AM
Roman ACS
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 132 Likes on 100 Posts

I don't think that is correct. I have the base audio system and there are no fibre connectors at all in my car, and you can see that from the picture of my quadlock a few posts above. My original unit is a PCM eg with navigation
Is not in the harness but it is in your pcm. I modify the fiber harness for this specific reason.
​​​​​​
​​​​​​
Old 08-13-2024, 11:16 PM
bigkraig
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

so, has anyone replaced a PCM4 with one of these? the PCM4 screen is OK but it looks pretty dated when coming back from the Taycan. Faster touch response would also be pretty welcomed. Considering people have coded PCM4s to replace PCM3.1s, I think it should work and may try it out.
Old 08-14-2024, 03:12 AM
andy2111
Rennlist Member

You need to find one that specifically mentions PCM 4 otherwise it won't work as the canbus adapter is different

If you search aliexpress for 'pcm 4 android' you will find some options. They might not be Chstek branded, but if it looks the same it'll be the same underlying unit

https://a.aliexpress.com/_EwRN1X3

Per the installation guide we recommend the 7862 CPU with 8GB memory. Looks like they offer the UIS7870 CPU now on this unit which is newer and should install and setup in a very similar way, but you'd be the first to try it (and the author of the 7870 section of the guide!!)

Keep us updated and good luck!

Last edited by andy2111; 08-14-2024 at 04:42 AM.
Old 08-14-2024, 09:17 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Received 244 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by Roman ACS
Your incorrect. all PCM systems are fiber systems. base, bose and burmeister. only CDR units do not use fiber.
You are correct in a pedantic sense. I think (hope) it was clear from the context of my post that I was comparing Bose with non-Bose systems. You asserted that the sound had to be superior with your add-on board solution because it used the OEM fiber (digital) signal path. I countered by saying that not everyone has fiber (ie all the non-Bose systems). Obviously if they had Burmester they would have fiber.

But the bottom line is this: an add-on solution using the OEM fiber brings zero benefits to cars that do not have fiber. That is what I (clumsily) was saying. I think most would have understood that, but I apologise is my post was not sufficiently clear.
andy2111 (08-14-2024)
Old 08-14-2024, 09:19 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Yes, he is wrong about it. My wife's Cayman has PCM 3.1 and no Bose and no fiber, just like your car. All PCM 3.1s may well have an optical output buried inside them (it is not at all uncommon for amplifiers to feature both analog and digital outputs - most TVs these days do for example). This 'hidden' optical output goes to the additional plug/orange fiber lines in Bose-equipped cars and then on to the digital input in the amp of cars so equipped.

But Roman's point is moot. In your car, and my wife's Cayman, the optical output is unused. It is connected to nothing. The orange fiber lines do not exist. So no matter what Roman's add-on board does, it will make zero difference to the SQ in your, or my wife's, car. Roman seems to be trying to claim that his solution offers superior SQ to ALL cars because he taps into the optical output. But with nowhere for that digital output to go, there can be no advantage. In Bose/Burmester setups, Roman does have the advantage of maintaining an unbroken digital signal path. Whether an additional DA conversion makes an audible difference to SQ is a much debated issue, and some people beleive it makes an audible difference, and some don't. AFAIK, there have been no blind ABX tests to objectively verify it, so it remains a subjective difference, if at all.

Last edited by ZedZed; 08-14-2024 at 09:47 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by ZedZed:
bigkraig (08-14-2024), skidpalace (08-15-2024)
Old 08-14-2024, 09:21 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Roman ACS
Is not in the harness but it is in your pcm. I modify the fiber harness for this specific reason.
But the point remains the same. In non-Bose (or Burmester) cars, there is no optical output that is actually connected to anything. And therefore no benefit from your add-on board solution in these cars.*

I am intrigued by how your add-on board solution uses the optical/fiber connection inside the PCM. In non-Bose/Burmester cars, like my wife's Cayman and Andy's 911, the amplifier has no means of using an optical signal. So your solution would not provide any benefits in SQ for those cars*. Now, in Bose-equipped cars, you would have an advantage (if eliminating an additional analog-digital conversion really is an (audible) advantage) since the Android HU's use the MOST box conversion route and thus utilise an analog signal to a digitally-equipped amp, which is, technically at least, inferior.

* Which is what we were originally discussing prior to your intervention.
​​​​​​

Last edited by ZedZed; 08-14-2024 at 09:38 AM.
Old 08-14-2024, 10:05 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

We seem (or I seem, to be more accurate) to be complicating things here. If we take a more familiar example, it may clarify things. Many TVs these days feature both digital and optical outputs. Many soundbars feature digital and optical inputs, Users can choose one or the other (but not both at the same time) depending on their needs. I, for example, have an LG television and a Sonos soundbar that feature both types of connection.

Now if I choose to connect with analog (RCA) leads and have no actual fiber connection at all between the two optical connectors, then clearly I do not gain any advantage at all from my optical connections. The optical connection does not physically exist. No matter what I do inside the TV to utilise or improve its optical circuitry will make any difference whatsoever to the SQ - it cannot because I have no actual optical connection. This is the parallel with Bose (and Burmester) systems and non-Bose systems in our cars. If you are not using the optical connection (by physically not connecting it to the amplifier) then no amount of tinkering inside the TV is going to impact the optical connector's sound quality (SQ). Of course, if I then disconnect my RCA analog connectors and instead used the optical connection on my TV and soundbar, I will benefit from any improvements made to the optical output of my TV.

So if I used an add-on board in my car which tapped directly into the PCM's optical output, then this could be better than using a MOST box. That is a legitimate claim which Roman can make. It is NOT a legitimate claim to say that it will improve ALL cars, meaning non-Bose/Burmester as they do not have that physical optical connection I am talking abut here.

Having said all this, we (me included of course) perhaps need to remember that this thread is dedicated to Android head units, and there is a perfectly good alternative thread dedicated to add-on boards.

Quick Reply: Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1