Sponsored by:

Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2024, 11:39 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by drawz
This is from Apple’s WWDC 2016 conference video transcript. The requirements may have changed since 2016, but doubt they would go backwards and not require it. The data is sent via the Carlink or ZLink app back to the phone, just as it is with microphone, button, or touchscreen inputs.

https://developer.apple.com/videos/play/wwdc2016/722

An alternate test would be to unplug your head unit GPS antenna and see what happens. This also sounds like it could vary depending on wired vs wireless CarPlay (I’ve only been using wireless). Zlink vs Carlink or specific navigation apps are also potential variables between our systems.
Originally Posted by drawz
I think if you turn off location services on the phone side, that would disable any location data regardless of source (including from the head unit). It appears to work for me though and Apple suggests it’s required for wireless CarPlay. Of course, these are sort of unofficial devices that may or may not follow all the rules.
I tried this today - turned off Location Services (GPS) on my phone, got into the car, Android Auto started up, Waze started up and guess what? Navigation still worked. So you were right @drawz - the HU is able to use its GPS with Android Auto/Waze independently of the phone's GPS. 👍😊

I see no reason to leave Location Services turned off on my phone, so have re-enabled it. I wonder how the HU/Phone negotiate which is to use GPS? Does it default to the HU's GPS and only use the Phone's GPS when the HU GPS isn't available? Or vice-versa? Not that it matters much - so long as it works every time, I am more than happy.
The following users liked this post:
drawz (08-16-2024)
Old 08-16-2024, 11:52 AM
StanfordBear
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ZedZed
I believe that the AUX app is built right in to the HUs. If you open your 'all apps' app drawer on your HU, do you not see an app labelled 'AUX' anywhere?
Thanks. Found the AUX app but camera still not displaying. I think something is possibly malfunctioning with my front cam.
Old 08-16-2024, 11:56 AM
StanfordBear
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bmxtreme
Yeah, it works after I enabled that Front View option. Did you try plug your front camera to the reverse camera input and see if it works? Just to make sure the camera is working.

Another thing to try is a full reboot by removing the PCM fuse.
Thanks for the suggestion. I plugged the front cam into the reverse input and no image either. I guess the front cam somehow stopped working after I installed the 7862. Will have to recheck my front cam wiring later.
Old 08-16-2024, 12:48 PM
drawz
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ZedZed
I tried this today - turned off Location Services (GPS) on my phone, got into the car, Android Auto started up, Waze started up and guess what? Navigation still worked. So you were right @drawz - the HU is able to use its GPS with Android Auto/Waze independently of the phone's GPS. 👍😊

I see no reason to leave Location Services turned off on my phone, so have re-enabled it. I wonder how the HU/Phone negotiate which is to use GPS? Does it default to the HU's GPS and only use the Phone's GPS when the HU GPS isn't available? Or vice-versa? Not that it matters much - so long as it works every time, I am more than happy.
CarPlay will pull the GPS data from multiple sources, including the head unit, phone itself, cell towers, vehicle speed and direction, etc. and integrate that data. GPS signals include how many satellites are connected and how precise the location data is. As long as everything is working properly, the head unit should be more accurate with a bigger antenna and fewer obstructions.

I had a different experience when disabling location services while connected to CarPlay. In that case the apps basically told me to turn it back on. I think it disabled the head unit data as well in this case. Agree there’s no reason to leave it off though.

edit just realized your on Android Auto. Sounds like it works similarly with the possible exception of location services off on the phone side.

Last edited by drawz; 08-16-2024 at 12:49 PM.
Old 08-16-2024, 01:02 PM
andy2111
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by StanfordBear
Thanks for the suggestion. I plugged the front cam into the reverse input and no image either. I guess the front cam somehow stopped working after I installed the 7862. Will have to recheck my front cam wiring later.
It's likely to be power or earth I imagine - where are you taking your +12v feed from?
Old 08-16-2024, 01:15 PM
StanfordBear
Intermediate

Originally Posted by andy2111
It's likely to be power or earth I imagine - where are you taking your +12v feed from?
@andy2111 I had it done in a shop awhile ago. It was always powered on and worked great with the PCM-Isudar combo. I'm going to have to somehow figure out where the power & ground was tapped into.

On a completely different note, I did all the things in the guide about cranking the PCM volume to 100 and centering the Bose fader before taking out the PCM. Unfortunately no sound whatsoever from the rear speakers. Not the end of the world, but I'll admit that I had my hopes up that there would at least be some rear speaker sound.
Old 08-16-2024, 01:25 PM
andy2111
Rennlist Member

Good luck and keep us posted on the camera issue.

Regarding rear speaker sound... Has anyone with the 7862 and Bose combo got rear sound working?

Just want to establish if anyone has this working, or not, so we can focus either on a generic problem of that particular combo, or issues with individual installations
Old 08-16-2024, 01:42 PM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Regarding rear speaker sound... Has anyone with the 7862 a Bose combo goound working?

Just want to establish if anyone has this working, or not, so we can focus either on a generic problem of that particular combo, or issues with individual installations
Yes I get sound from the rear speakers with Bose. But it's in the Panamera which has a different HU. I was miffed at first after installation since the rear speakers were silent. But after much fiddling in the EQ/fader section I eventually got sound. The entire menu structure of that HU is different to the Chstek and Erisin units though so it may have had different fiddling when rooted. (I assume these units are rooted). Shows it's possible though. That unit is running Android 10, if that matters. AFAIK the processor is the same. I will run a checking app on it at the weekend and report back.

Last edited by ZedZed; 08-16-2024 at 01:44 PM.
Old 08-16-2024, 01:47 PM
andy2111
Rennlist Member

Yep, I know it works for you Zed! 😁

I'm trying to determine if anyone with the Chstek 7862 and Bose combo has it working to see if this specific pairing fails to work for everyone, or for just some installations
The following users liked this post:
StanfordBear (08-16-2024)
Old 08-16-2024, 01:57 PM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Yep, I know it works for you Zed! 😁

I'm trying to determine if anyone with the Chstek 7862 and Bose combo has it working to see if this specific pairing fails to work for everyone, or for just some installations
Old 08-16-2024, 03:12 PM
bmxtreme
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts

Maybe a combination of these can accomplish the rear channel output? anyone wants to give it a try ?

1. 4-channel to fiber optics (toslink)
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/32568...Cquery_from%3A

2. MOST with toslink input
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/22558...2usa4itemAdapt

Old 08-16-2024, 03:38 PM
drawz
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I think it’s important to note which MOST adapter is in use when reporting your experience. I am pretty sure mine works with the Macan 7862 FYT unit and TOSLINk to MOST25 adapter, but I want to verify.

In terms of sending 4 channels via MOST, I think the key is what the MOST adapter and the amp support/expect. I think it’s unlikely that the two adapters linked earlier would be able to make this work, but you never know until you try.
Old 08-16-2024, 03:43 PM
q8linux
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Regarding rear speaker sound... Has anyone with the 7862 and Bose combo got rear sound working?

mine is working...
Old 08-16-2024, 03:57 PM
bmxtreme
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts

I know @RwdConnor mentioned he has rear audio as well with his Qualcomm unit.
@q8linux which unit did you get? Perhaps there's differences in these MOST converter or the Audio out wiring.
Old 08-16-2024, 04:20 PM
q8linux
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

double post..

Last edited by q8linux; 08-16-2024 at 04:21 PM.

Quick Reply: Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1