Sponsored by:

Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2024, 03:40 PM
bigkraig
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by andy2111
And you ordered the correct pcm 4 fiber box?

Just checking 😁
yes 👍
Old 08-14-2024, 04:28 PM
drawz
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ZedZed
What if you pull the rear speaker wires from the OEM amp and connect the speakers directly to the relevant speaker outputs on the HU? Then the fronts would be powered by the OEM amp and the rears by the HU amp. The problem I can see there is a difference in output which may require attenuation or a separate potentiometer. Any good?
Not worth the trouble in my opinion. The rears should work with the factory stuff plus the included adapters. If they don’t, the effort is better spent on figuring out why. Your proposed set up may or may not work well.
Old 08-14-2024, 04:31 PM
bmxtreme
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by bigkraig
I've placed an order for a 7870C from https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256807205711960.html
If you're looking to do any out of band customization to these FYT units, 7870 is poorly supported for now. You can check XDA for more info if this is something up your alley, otherwise, you are not missing anything much.
Old 08-14-2024, 04:35 PM
bmxtreme
Racer

Many thanks. I may give that a try. No urgency as sound here is excellent, but maybe something to do if/when the unit needs to come out of the car for some reason. One such reason might be to install the DAB radio unit I've had on my bench for months
If anyone is thinking of doing this with the CHSTEK, the optical out for these does not exist :P (there an empty hole for it, but there's nothing soldered to this part). I checked and was hoping it was.

Last edited by bmxtreme; 08-14-2024 at 04:36 PM.
The following users liked this post:
StanfordBear (08-14-2024)
Old 08-14-2024, 04:39 PM
bmxtreme
Racer

Originally Posted by ralphsmit
My unit (7862)should arrive on Monday so I'm looking forward to that. I am still trying to figure out which way to go on the TPMS, which is better internal or external? @andy2111 do you by any chance have a pic of your Erisin ones installed?
Yeah, i probably won't go with internals for this, who knows how reliable these cheap TPMS are.
ralphsmit (08-15-2024)
Old 08-14-2024, 05:05 PM
boxdriver
Racer

Received 264 Likes on 97 Posts

On the subject of aftermarket TPMS: Does anyone know how they connect with the HU? It looks like most of them use Bluetooth? If so, many of the units out there might not work with the CHESTEK units since they seem not to work with most Bluetooth devices. Do you have to get a set that communicates to an external unit that plugs into the USB of the HU and not one that communicates directly thru Bluetooth with the HU?
Old 08-14-2024, 05:38 PM
andy2111
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 141 Posts

They work just fine. The controller box connects via USB and that communicates with the pressure sensors wirelessly. Works perfectly for me.

They all work this way eg external box that connects via USB. Look up the Erisin TPMS unit as a few of us have installed it.

Last edited by andy2111; 08-14-2024 at 05:53 PM.
ZedZed (08-15-2024)
Old 08-14-2024, 06:04 PM
Santirx
Racer

Received 162 Likes on 99 Posts

That's a good point and one I had forgotten. My ZWNAV has an optical output (IIRC) but I am not using it. Do you have a link to the relevant adapter? I could easily use my optical output directly to the orange fiber connections to my Bose amp if I had such an adapter. TBH, I don't believe the SQ will be audibly different, but in a 'purist' sense it might be worth doing. I am not hearing any difference in SQ between what I had with the PCM and what I have with the ZWNAV.

The ZWNAV was my first incursion into these aftermarket HUs and, at the time, I knew very little about them. I slavishly followed some very good YT videos when connecting up (shout out to @Santirx), and so I ignored the optical output on my unit. Not hearing any difference in sound quality after installation, it's never occurred to me to try the optical connector until your post just reminded me of its existence.
In my latest iteration, I’m actually going directly from my head unit spdif toslink optical output to my aftermarket amplifier spdif toslink optical input. So, going direct, not even through MOST25.

As pure of a signal as I could get it.

But there are good optical to MOST converters out there that will allow you to preserve digital signal.
Old 08-14-2024, 08:10 PM
boxdriver
Racer

Received 264 Likes on 97 Posts

Asking for a friend:
He has the CDR31 with Bose. Is the unit and MOST the same as the one for the PCM3.1? What about the FACRA adapters? The guide only mentions PCM, but I know some on here have replaced a CDR unit, I'm guessing it is the same, but I just want to make sure he orders the correct unit.
Old 08-14-2024, 09:23 PM
bigkraig
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by bmxtreme
If you're looking to do any out of band customization to these FYT units, 7870 is poorly supported for now. You can check XDA for more info if this is something up your alley, otherwise, you are not missing anything much.
As long as the basics work for now it'll be fine
Old 08-15-2024, 02:22 AM
andy2111
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by boxdriver
Asking for a friend:
He has the CDR31 with Bose. Is the unit and MOST the same as the one for the PCM3.1? What about the FACRA adapters? The guide only mentions PCM, but I know some on here have replaced a CDR unit, I'm guessing it is the same, but I just want to make sure he orders the correct unit.
I think the only difference is that CDR doesn't have navigation and so won't have the built in antenna.

I'd expect everything else to work and then your friend would use the supplied GPS antenna to get nav working

Any other views on this?
Old 08-15-2024, 09:24 AM
bmxtreme
Racer

Hey. No, the unit in my Panamera is a ZWNAV 12.3" widescreen and is different in many ways to the Erisin/CHSTEK type units. But this volume control thing has been designed to work with the steering wheel control wires. Mine are labelled SWC1 and SWC2, but this will be the same functionality as yours, labelled Key1 and Key2. It's weird that this doesn't work with your car. You may be right that the canbus has hijacked something, or possibly Key1 and Key2 in the CHSTEK units are not functioning in the way we expect them to. If you are certain that you have wired the volume control unit correctly to power, ground and Key1 (always worth remaking connections as part of routine troubleshooting IMO), then I am afraid I am at a loss as to why it isn't working.

I am ***-u-m-ing that your car does not have factory steering wheel controls? (On the basis that if it does, they ought to work with the CHSTEK anyway). And that there isn't some extra step in the CHSTEK steering wheel control menu section that you need to take?

Just for the avoidance of doubt, this is the unit I ordered from Ali Express:

Wireless Multi-function Steering Wheel Control for Android Car Radio DVD GPS Multimedia Remote Control Buttons 2 Din Universal - AliExpress 34

Just wanted to circle back that the remote eventually works. I don't know what I did, but it magically let me set the buttons to control. So I have a remote now 😅
The following 2 users liked this post by bmxtreme:
andy2111 (08-15-2024), ZedZed (08-15-2024)
Old 08-15-2024, 09:57 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by drawz
Not worth the trouble in my opinion. The rears should work with the factory stuff plus the included adapters. If they don’t, the effort is better spent on figuring out why. Your proposed set up may or may not work well.
I agree entirely - not worth the effort. I have a car with Bose and a car without, and in both cars the sound is at least as good as it was before fitting the new HU. In fact, I'd say it is better in the non-Bose Cayman. I was just throwing it out there as an option for those who believe it may well be worth the effort. I think there is too much focus on this TBH. Most will be happy with the sound after installing their Android HU. For the few who are not, there are various options, as described in this thread. The real question is how good SQ can be in any car, considering what an atrocious acoustic environment it is.
Old 08-15-2024, 09:59 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bmxtreme
If anyone is thinking of doing this with the CHSTEK, the optical out for these does not exist :P (there an empty hole for it, but there's nothing soldered to this part). I checked and was hoping it was.
Yes - I should have been more clear that this is an option for me in my ZWNAV unit, which is quite different to the CHSTEK and Erisin units discussed mostly in the thread.
Old 08-15-2024, 10:02 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Santirx
In my latest iteration, I’m actually going directly from my head unit spdif toslink optical output to my aftermarket amplifier spdif toslink optical input. So, going direct, not even through MOST25.

As pure of a signal as I could get it.

But there are good optical to MOST converters out there that will allow you to preserve digital signal.
Yes, I am looking at one such optical-most converters now. I'm not really sure if it will make an audible difference to the SQ, but a direct digital connection seems like a good idea. I'm prepared to give it a try anyway.

Quick Reply: Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1