Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2024, 01:32 PM
andy2111
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 129 Posts

Do you have the Backlight current adjustment setting under "Factory"? Passcode = 5768

This is from the 7862 and works for us (sorry!)

Old 08-19-2024, 01:39 PM
RwdConnor
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by andy2111
Do you have the Backlight current adjustment setting under "Factory"? Passcode = 5768

This is from the 7862 and works for us (sorry!)

My menu is MUCH more simplified. Like an actual samsung android tablet menu. Ill show photos in a little
Old 08-19-2024, 01:53 PM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Received 244 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by RwdConnor
The screen 100% responds to brightness through the canbus. It just dims maybe 3% darker. And thats at the lowest setting. Im going to fiddle with it some more. But it might end up for sale here.
But does it respond to the normal brightness control? What happens if you turn that right down?
Old 08-19-2024, 01:58 PM
RwdConnor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ZedZed
But does it respond to the normal brightness control? What happens if you turn that right down?
Even with everything turned down, its still too bright haha
Old 08-19-2024, 02:28 PM
drawz
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Most steering wheel controls should work out of the box if the right CANBUS box is selected (things like volume, answer, hang up, etc). The steering wheel controls app doesn’t work for customization with cars that rely on CANBUS for this, which I think would be most modern Porsches and other VAG cars. Instead, try the FYTHWOneKey app (need the version that can send ADB commands). Santirx made a video about this for the Macan, but should be similar for other cars and other FYT units. Requires a bit of work to configure.

Last edited by drawz; 08-19-2024 at 02:30 PM.
Old 08-19-2024, 02:30 PM
drawz
Advanced

And I totally agree that it’s still too bright at night. Be careful with the factory menu that lets you turn down even more - if you turn it too low, the screen will go completely black and you will have a lot of trouble getting it back on. It’s covered in the FAQ at XDA.

I wish it had a light sensor because it’s too bright at night but not bright enough when headlights are on during the day (at dusk or just when wipers are on per local law).
Old 08-19-2024, 02:32 PM
andy2111
Rennlist Member

Changing backlight current on the 7862 is perfectly safe and works very well as long as you are careful. There's a section on it in the guide
Old 08-19-2024, 03:36 PM
RwdConnor
Rennlist Member

Heres my menus. None of this changes brightness. Even when setting it to 10. Still stays at 20 for “lowest” in the menu

Old 08-19-2024, 05:58 PM
ralphsmit
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by drawz
Most steering wheel controls should work out of the box if the right CANBUS box is selected (things like volume, answer, hang up, etc). The steering wheel controls app doesn’t work for customization with cars that rely on CANBUS for this, which I think would be most modern Porsches and other VAG cars. Instead, try the FYTHWOneKey app (need the version that can send ADB commands). Santirx made a video about this for the Macan, but should be similar for other cars and other FYT units. Requires a bit of work to configure.
Mine defaulted to a Cayenne, what CANBOX type do others have selected? Perhaps thats the reason why I have no steering wheel controls
Old 08-19-2024, 06:29 PM
andy2111
Rennlist Member

It doesn't hurt to try another Porsche model from the list as you can easily change it back again.

Those brightness settings and all others are completely different to the 7862 so we can try to help, but it'll be educated guesswork
Old 08-19-2024, 08:52 PM
drawz
Advanced

I agree, try the various Porsche models and see what happens. Hopefully you get at least volume control. The rest might be configurable with FYTHWOneKey (see also Santirx video on youtube), but I'm not so sure. There is a modded app that can do more with CANBUS steering wheel commands, but it's unfortunately not supported as the developer has passed away and no code was ever released.
Old 08-20-2024, 04:54 AM
ralphsmit
Advanced

Originally Posted by drawz
I agree, try the various Porsche models and see what happens. Hopefully you get at least volume control. The rest might be configurable with FYTHWOneKey (see also Santirx video on youtube), but I'm not so sure. There is a modded app that can do more with CANBUS steering wheel commands, but it's unfortunately not supported as the developer has passed away and no code was ever released.
No joy with the other Porsche Models, (no options for 911 or 981 either just Macan and Cayenne or all) the car is now on the charger as I was getting "socket deactivated" messages. I will take it out later in the day to check I haven't missed a connection somewhere along the line, it's bizarre as the steering wheel controls for the digital display work just fine. If that fails I may go down the FYTHWonekey rabbit hole.
Old 08-20-2024, 05:04 AM
bmxtreme
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by ralphsmit
No joy with the other Porsche Models, (no options for 911 or 981 either just Macan and Cayenne or all) the car is now on the charger as I was getting "socket deactivated" messages. I will take it out later in the day to check I haven't missed a connection somewhere along the line, it's bizarre as the steering wheel controls for the digital display work just fine. If that fails I may go down the FYTHWonekey rabbit hole.
The app doesn't listen to any of the steering controls like volume/next/prev etc. I think it works for the joker button which triggers the MODE intent function (but if none of the steering button does anything, I doubt it's sending any commands to the head unit to trigger anything). You can probably try dive into that black hole, as I am curious as well.

Also don't bother with the modded app. The newer FYT kernels has a newer version and that modded app was built with an older MS.apk which will display a really huge error message banner at the top. You can revert by reinstalling the original MS.apk from the AppStore.

Or just ask the seller..The seller I bought from has been pretty helpful answering my questions even though I believe he has been proxying my questions to the manufacturer/CHSTEK.

Last edited by bmxtreme; 08-20-2024 at 05:14 AM.
Old 08-20-2024, 10:55 AM
ralphsmit
Advanced

The steering control mystery is resolved, it seems a plug with 2 white cables was not seated 100% on the back of the head unit, I pushed them in, and voila everything worked. Not sure what the SWC app is for though as it wasn't needed and still doesn't show it's ready to pair.

Updated the wallpaper but no joy with the boot logo its in the correct folder on my USB and I can see it just fine on file manager but the option never shows up no matter how many times I swipe left or right.

Last edited by ralphsmit; 08-20-2024 at 10:57 AM.
The following users liked this post:
bmxtreme (08-20-2024)
Old 08-20-2024, 11:30 AM
bmxtreme
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts

The steering control mystery is resolved, it seems a plug with 2 white cables was not seated 100% on the back of the head unit, I pushed them in, and voila everything worked. Not sure what the SWC app is for though as it wasn't needed and still doesn't show it's ready to pair.

Updated the wallpaper but no joy with the boot logo its in the correct folder on my USB and I can see it just fine on file manager but the option never shows up no matter how many times I swipe left or right.
For the boot logo, you might need to copy it into a folder call MyCar in the head unit internal storage like me. It never show up for me from the USB.

Last edited by bmxtreme; 08-20-2024 at 11:35 AM.

Quick Reply: Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1