991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2023 | 08:46 PM
Sidvicious7
Burning Brakes

STARK7X: I had to install an after market backup camera. As for the OE camera you will need to figure out which wires (2 likely) are for video input. I will try to provide a short video for volume control.
The following users liked this post:
Stark7x (08-02-2023)
Old 08-01-2023 | 09:47 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Sidvicious7
I failed to mention I can also control the volume from the steering wheel control too.
Yah I mentioned that before, if I had a multifunction wheel, I would be ok without having a real volume **** unfortunately I have a bare bones wheel from a GT4.
Old 08-03-2023 | 12:08 AM
unnus
6th Gear

Hey folks, I posted this question over on the iSudar thread as well-- I just read through this whole thing and did a bunch of research but wanted input from people that have tried multiple solutions. I have recently purchased a 991.1 Carrera 2 (first P car!) and was looking to retrofit CarPlay. I have XM and Bose in my car, looking to see what may be the better buy. Is AUX sound quality as bad as they say it is? Is MOST via the Mr12volt the better option, by a margin or by a lot? I'm an audio engineer by trade, looking for a decent solution in both audio quality but also software support and reliability as well.

Another question I have that I don't believe was answered anywhere, currently I have my 'diamond' multifunction button on my steering wheel set up to Skip Tracks. Does this functionality work on any of these solutions?
Old 08-03-2023 | 08:06 AM
Tache
AutoX

I have the isundar unit installed with Bose and the Satellite Radio module installed. I am not an audiophile or sound engineer, but it sounds perfectly fine to me. I am not sure how perfect you want the sound since you have the noise of the road and the purr of the engine present, and I imagine that would override any differences you could discern in the audio. That being said, there are no AUX artifacts like buzzing/etc present in the system. Even when parked, I see no difference between the AUX, BT, or the jukebox when playing the same songs. I tend to listen to electronic music, soundtracks, but not rock/pop.

another note, I swapped in the iSundar system, replacing the Joyeauto system. I think it is better.

Last edited by Tache; 08-03-2023 at 08:09 AM.
Old 08-08-2023 | 11:10 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

The only drawback or complaint I have is with the MFD or Multifunction Display. Not all the windows/displays work like OE. In my case the Map for Navigation will not display on the MFD, including the Cellular Carrier which I’m ok with since I use WAZE, Apple Maps or Google.
Could you tell me more about the MFD please? I can live without the Nav map (I never use the Porsche Satnav anyway) and the cellular carrier - what I am wondering is if the other stuff shows up on the MFD. For example, I have my main MFD screen set to show Range, Water Temp, Oil Temp, Oil Pressure, Volts, Time and Date. I find this very useful, especially as the analog gauges which show most of that info are hidden by the steering wheel in my driving position. With your Krando unit, does that info translate over to the MFD?

This is the screen I am keen to keep:

Thanks!

Old 08-08-2023 | 11:17 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

I may have answered my own question. Looking at @chriswit1 's images in an earlier post, he seems to have the Krando running AND all the info I want in the MFD.

@chriswit1 - is my assumption right? If so, this is awesome and I may just have to pull the trigger in this.
Old 08-08-2023 | 11:19 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

This is the latest version of the Krando for the Panamera. Note that it comes with analog ***** now.

Old 08-08-2023 | 12:09 PM
Stark7x
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ZedZed
Could you tell me more about the MFD please? I can live without the Nav map (I never use the Porsche Satnav anyway) and the cellular carrier - what I am wondering is if the other stuff shows up on the MFD. For example, I have my main MFD screen set to show Range, Water Temp, Oil Temp, Oil Pressure, Volts, Time and Date. I find this very useful, especially as the analog gauges which show most of that info are hidden by the steering wheel in my driving position. With your Krando unit, does that info translate over to the MFD?

Thanks!
I don't see why any of those things would disappear with aftermarket unit... I think the only thing that will go away is the stuff that used to be tied to audio... like Maps, songs, phone info etc. At least that's what I gathered from reading these posts.
Old 08-08-2023 | 12:14 PM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Stark7x
I don't see why any of those things would disappear with aftermarket unit... I think the only thing that will go away is the stuff that used to be tied to audio... like Maps, songs, phone info etc. At least that's what I gathered from reading these posts.
You are right! @chriswit1 's photos seem to prove it. I guess that so long as the data is in the head unit, which it is, then it translates over OK.
Old 08-09-2023 | 08:27 PM
Sidvicious7
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ZedZed

Thanks!
The Krando will display all your vitals like voltage, water temp, oil Temp, oil psi, etc. under the (Vehicle) heading. Under Audio heading just MM/DD/YYYY. Under Phone MM/DD/YYYY. Map heading (No video signal). Navigation heading list last destination. Trip heading same display as before.TPMS heading same display as before. Chrono heading same display and before. G-Force heading same display as before. ACC heading same display as before.

Last edited by Sidvicious7; 08-09-2023 at 08:31 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Sidvicious7:
Stark7x (08-10-2023), ZedZed (08-09-2023)
Old 08-09-2023 | 08:36 PM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

The Krando will display all your vitals like voltage, water temp, oil Temp, oil psi, etc. under the (Vehicle) heading. Under Audio heading just MM/DD/YYYY. Under Phone MM/DD/YYYY. Map heading (No video signal). Navigation heading list last destination. Trip heading same display as before.TPMS heading same display as before. Chrono heading same display and before. G-Force heading same display as before. ACC heading same display as before.
Terrific response - thank you!👍👍👍

Last edited by ZedZed; 08-09-2023 at 08:37 PM.
Old 08-10-2023 | 02:19 AM
Schorsch
Racer

ACC heading same display as before.
Interesting. That ACC is missing in my 991.1. What does it display?
Old 08-10-2023 | 11:03 AM
Sidvicious7
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Schorsch
Interesting. That ACC is missing in my 991.1. What does it display?
Adaptive Cruise Control
Schorsch (08-10-2023)
Old 08-10-2023 | 01:26 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Oooo this one has *****, very tempting to try.

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mKaOWlY
Stark7x (08-11-2023)
Old 08-10-2023 | 01:43 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Joec500
Oooo this one has *****, very tempting to try.

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mKaOWlY

Do it!

Quick Reply: Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1