Sponsored by:

Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2024, 01:26 PM
potxoli
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Favorite Android Launcher for CHSTEK

Now that the CHSTEK unit is working for me, I’m thinking about customizing it. I’m wondering if people are keeping the default launcher which looks pretty bad, or if there is a favorite to switch to.
Old 05-21-2024, 01:51 PM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Received 216 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by potxoli
Now that the CHSTEK unit is working for me, I’m thinking about customizing it. I’m wondering if people are keeping the default launcher which looks pretty bad, or if there is a favorite to switch to.
I very much like Carwebguru for its amazing customisability. Others like Agama and Vivid. There are so many to choose from. Most are free or give a free trial so I suggest trying a few and seeing which you like most.
The following users liked this post:
potxoli (05-21-2024)
Old 05-21-2024, 02:15 PM
andy2111
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by potxoli
I've been using Agama, which is quite similar to CWG.

This isn't the best picture, but Iike the fact that it doesn't look like a phone/tablet layout and is "kind of manufacturer-ish"!

potxoli (05-21-2024)
Old 05-21-2024, 02:21 PM
ratt359
Advanced

Received 56 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by ZedZed
I very much like Carwebguru for its amazing customisability. Others like Agama and Vivid. There are so many to choose from. Most are free or give a free trial so I suggest trying a few and seeing which you like most.
+1 for Vivid, especially after you’ve spent a bit of time setting it up (inc start-up wallpaper). Brilliant!
Old 05-21-2024, 02:49 PM
ralphsmit
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

You do not have fiber optics if you have the sound package plus with the ASK amp.

Thanks for clarifying

Last edited by ralphsmit; 05-21-2024 at 02:51 PM.
Old 05-21-2024, 03:40 PM
bill edwards
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Adding Carplay

When adding Carplay into a Porsche it “should” add functionality and never butcher nor take away PCM functionality. Think complimentary. Any that takes away from PCM, not me and not most of the Porsche world of Porsche people.
its better to have original PCM and all its functions than a butchered degraded PCM
Old 05-21-2024, 03:49 PM
andy2111
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by bill edwards
When adding Carplay into a Porsche it “should” add functionality and never butcher nor take away PCM functionality. Think complimentary. Any that takes away from PCM, not me and not most of the Porsche world of Porsche people.
its better to have original PCM and all its functions than a butchered degraded PCM
I think it's great that there are options so Porsche owners can take the option that is best for them.

Most of us on this thread would disagree with you, but I guess that's because this thread is all about upgrading PCM rather than about discussing not upgrading PCM.

I envy your choice, you'll have much more free time than me to spend driving your car instead of retrofitting head units
Old 05-21-2024, 04:00 PM
bill edwards
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Adding Carplay

Think complimentary/ improvement when CarPlay becomes part of PCM. Life is about choices . Seek the better option not most expedient. Not the least expensive . That is why we drive porsche. My next Porsche will again be OEM. Any other, like almost all of us and closest Porsche folks , we will chose accordingly ,
Old 05-21-2024, 05:28 PM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Received 216 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by bill edwards
Think complimentary/ improvement when CarPlay becomes part of PCM. Life is about choices . Seek the better option not most expedient. Not the least expensive . That is why we drive porsche. My next Porsche will again be OEM. Any other, like almost all of us and closest Porsche folks , we will chose accordingly ,
I guess this thread's not for you then, Bill. Fortunately, there are dozens more where you'll feel more at home. Good luck.
sletcher (05-21-2024)
Old 05-22-2024, 12:49 AM
Haidang
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Hey Enthusiasts!
How’s going?
I’d like to make a quick reference regarding CHSTEK Android and Apple car play HU that I just installed in my car lately.
Erisin was my previous one, installation and configuration was not bad at all(back up camera working, multi function steering wheel working…) thanks to Enthusiasts in this thread especially ZedZed.
Hey Zed!
Thanks a bunch for your expertise.
So, my 911 is equipped with BOSE PCM 3.1
I ordered this CHSTEK

I have MOST box from previous installation.
01/ Pull shift **** to reverse( more space to work on), pull ebrake or choke wheels
02/ Disconnect my battery and wait for 5 minutes.
03/ Remove panel under center console on driver side and passenger side

04/ Use bath towels to cover center console and climate control
05/ Unscrew 4 screws on PCM
06/ Pull PCM out slightly then disconnect all the connectors
07/ Remove a Orange pair fiber optic cable(connector)from quad lock connector

08/ Run USB cables, 2 camera cable … to the glove box
09/ Plug and screw in all cable harness that come with CHSTEK unit

10/ Install MOST box

A pair fiber optic go into yellow arrow
RCA from MOST box connect to 14,15?(i don’t remember, please chime in)

Red, black and yellow from MOST box

11/ Connect front camera

Front camera red wire connect to AMP-CONT

12/ Connect back up camera
Yellow RCA go in to 8

Back up camera red wire connect to AMP-CONT also( it works for me)
13/ Connect Yellow FAKRA USB and FM,AM antenna

14/ Reconnect battery and test the system.
15/ Assign front camera in the main menu

then test

Front cam on the left
Back up cam on the right
Front cam

Back up cam

all cameras are working ( my camera is Natika purchased from Amazon $40)
16/ Fit in CHSTEK
please be careful don’t scratch your leather
refer @ratt359 method
The end.
My steering wheel control still not working yet(it’s working fine with Erisin)

The following 3 users liked this post by Haidang:
q8linux (05-22-2024), ratt359 (05-22-2024), ZedZed (05-22-2024)
Old 05-22-2024, 02:00 AM
jimmykhs
2nd Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

First of all, I would like to thank all of you here for your valuable information in this thread. I really appreciate all the time and effort you all put into this. I also just installed the CHSTEK following your tips and guides, and the new screen is so much bigger than my old PCM!

Originally Posted by Haidang
Please be careful when you fit in this CHSTEK on the top right, top left corner and bottom , it’s very tight (I crashed my leather on the top right a bit and have to use leather conditioner to make it look like cognac again).
@Haidang, just wondering, what kind of leather conditioner did you use for your scratches on the dash. I also seem to have scratched the sides a little bit while installing the CHSTEK. Anybody else with recommendations for this, feel free to chime in as well!
Old 05-22-2024, 03:12 AM
tj90
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ratt359
+1 for Vivid, especially after you’ve spent a bit of time setting it up (inc start-up wallpaper). Brilliant!
@ratt359 - I will definitely check out Vivid and the others. The default wallpaper is terrible on my skyshadow unit.

When you say start up wallpaper, is that the silhouette the car model like "Cayenne" "GT3" on original PCM? I would like to get that back.
Old 05-22-2024, 04:24 AM
ratt359
Advanced

Originally Posted by jimmykhs
First of all, I would like to thank all of you here for your valuable information in this thread. I really appreciate all the time and effort you all put into this. I also just installed the CHSTEK following your tips and guides, and the new screen is so much bigger than my old PCM!

@Haidang, just wondering, what kind of leather conditioner did you use for your scratches on the dash. I also seem to have scratched the sides a little bit while installing the CHSTEK. Anybody else with recommendations for this, feel free to chime in as well!
It's so annoying, isn't it? Fortunately, it should be an easy fix. I used a Cherry Blossom Renovating Shoe Cream in the same colour as my leather. Scuff gone!

Thinking that perhaps installers of the CHSTEK should protect the leather on the upper corners of the cavity with electrical tape until the install is finished.
jimmykhs (05-22-2024)
Old 05-22-2024, 04:29 AM
ratt359
Advanced

@Haidang Many thanks for taking the time to share all of this detail. We'll be sure to update the guide in the library accordingly!

Porsche Android HU Resources
Old 05-22-2024, 04:38 AM
ratt359
Advanced

Originally Posted by tj90
@ratt359 - I will definitely check out Vivid and the others. The default wallpaper is terrible on my skyshadow unit.

When you say start up wallpaper, is that the silhouette the car model like "Cayenne" "GT3" on original PCM? I would like to get that back.
Of course! Take a look at my start-up sequence with VIVID installed as the default launcher. It can be found in the Wallpaper folder of the library (link per previous post).

Also in the Wallpaper folder is a dump of all the OEM PCM 3.1 car images. In that folder you'll find the original 800x600px images and a couple of images that I've resized* to 1024x768px for the CHSTEK, to avoid banding or stretching.

*I didn't rescale as I didn't want to introduce artefacts around the edges of the images. Instead, I added black borders and recentred the image.

What you'll see in the video is the CHSTEK boot image (OEM PCM car silhouette), the Android animation (which I don't mind), followed by the VIVID boot image (OEM PCM Porsche logo).

From memory, the VIVID wallpaper needs to be copied to the Pictures folder on the root of the SD.

Finally, remember that VIVID isn't available on the UK Google Play Store, but can be downloaded directly from APKPure.
tj90 (05-22-2024)

Quick Reply: Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1