Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2024, 06:25 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Received 216 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by andy2111
That's good to know!

Wonder what the 2x white wires are for then?
No idea, sorry. One could be for switched 12V+ (presumably is) but that should conventionally be a red wire. The other could be ground as you surmised, but again that would usually be black, and the camera is usually grounded at the other end and then via the RCA. I've never seen a camera connection with 2 white wires before! How hard would it be for them to label the wires! As you say, we'll figure it out. Do you think the Chinese would be willing to pay for someone to write them an installation guide? LOL.
Old 05-21-2024, 06:28 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CardinalFlyer
Those are the wifi antenna.
Ah yes, this was suggested before. What a weird way to do it - to connect wifi antenna to the same connector as the RCA jack.
Old 05-21-2024, 07:02 AM
andy2111
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 96 Posts

OK so pulling this mornings info all together, to fit an existing backup camera:
  • Use the yellow RCA from the pic I posted above and then connect the +12V wire from the existing camera to the head unit
  • The HU power could either come from KEY 1 (I will test this) or by using a tap into the red wire on the power loom. IMO using KEY 1 is the neater option if it works..
  • Do not touch the 2 white wires at all
First to try it and report back gets a prize.... my old Erisin HU perhaps!
The following users liked this post:
ZedZed (05-21-2024)
Old 05-21-2024, 07:44 AM
ratt359
Advanced

Received 56 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by andy2111
OK so pulling this mornings info all together, to fit an existing backup camera:
  • Use the yellow RCA from the pic I posted above and then connect the +12V wire from the existing camera to the head unit
  • The HU power could either come from KEY 1 (I will test this) or by using a tap into the red wire on the power loom. IMO using KEY 1 is the neater option if it works..
  • Do not touch the 2 white wires at all
First to try it and report back gets a prize.... my old Erisin HU perhaps!
@Haidang has done most of this in his posts above.
  • Rear camera: REAR CAM RCA + tap from red ACC+ (switched 12v)
  • Front camera: CVBS-IN-1 yellow RCA + tap from red ACC+
  • Amp (non-BOSE): AMP-CON tap from red ACC+
Per @ZedZed post, the KEY1/2 lines are for steering wheel controls and shouldn't be used or required.

Re: weird antenna lines on REAR CAM RCA loom - seemingly common on other HUs. Found this which made me laugh.

The following users liked this post:
ZedZed (05-21-2024)
Old 05-21-2024, 07:54 AM
mamick
Intermediate

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

@Haidang has done most of this in his posts above.
  • Rear camera: REAR CAM RCA + tap from red ACC+ (switched 12v)
If you did that wouldn't the camera just come on when you turned the car on? The MOST box is connected to the same ACC+.

I posted a message the CHSTEK will let everyone know if I get anything useful back.
Old 05-21-2024, 08:03 AM
ratt359
Advanced

Received 56 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by mamick
If you did that wouldn't the camera just come on when you turned the car on? The MOST box is connected to the same ACC+.

I posted a message the CHSTEK will let everyone know if I get anything useful back.
My understanding is that the camera would be permanently powered, but video via RCA will only display on the HU when triggered.
The following 2 users liked this post by ratt359:
mamick (05-21-2024), ZedZed (05-21-2024)
Old 05-21-2024, 08:21 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ratt359
My understanding is that the camera would be permanently powered, but video via RCA will only display on the HU when triggered.
Most camera manufacturers recommend not to have the cameras permanently powered as they say it reduces camera life. Personally, I think that if this is the case, then the camera quality is suspect - after all, my dashcam is permanently powered and has been for years and is still working just fine. The way to avoid the camera being powered all the time is to have it triggered on when reverse is engaged - in the old days we did this by hooking the camera's power wire into the reversing light wire such that the camera only received power when the reverse light came on. This would give a slight delay/black screen before the image appeared. Nowadays, the idea is (on automatic cars at least) to have the canbus trigger the power when needed - ie when going into reverse - and a trigger on the HU switches the display to the required camera input to show the camera feed on screen. I admit to have never been 100% sure of how to wire the cameras with these HUs but always seemed to have made it work. Personally, as I say, I wouldn't worry too much about powering the camera all the time, especially if a camera of decent quality has been chosen. The 'free' cameras that come with some HUs might fail if permanently powered, but a decent one shouldn't. IMO.
Old 05-21-2024, 09:21 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,185 Likes on 712 Posts

Originally Posted by ZedZed
No idea, sorry. One could be for switched 12V+ (presumably is) but that should conventionally be a red wire. The other could be ground as you surmised, but again that would usually be black, and the camera is usually grounded at the other end and then via the RCA. I've never seen a camera connection with 2 white wires before! How hard would it be for them to label the wires! As you say, we'll figure it out. Do you think the Chinese would be willing to pay for someone to write them an installation guide? LOL.
Writing an installation guide is our job! LOL.
Old 05-21-2024, 09:34 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
Writing an installation guide is our job! LOL.
Haha. So it seems. We are unpaid workers of the CCP
Old 05-21-2024, 09:38 AM
boxdriver
Instructor

Received 168 Likes on 65 Posts

I have seen a couple posts now about the canbus triggering when the reverse camera comes on if you have an automatic transmission. Does anyone know if the CHSTEK HU knows when to trigger the backup camera on a manual transmission? Has anyone here put in this HU with a backup camera on a manual transmission yet? My current aftermarket camera seems to be triggered by the canbus now because it stays on until I reach a certain MPH when I start driving forward after reversing. If possible, I would like to keep that function if I decided to switch to the CHSTEK HU.
Old 05-21-2024, 09:46 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by boxdriver
I have seen a couple posts now about the canbus triggering when the reverse camera comes on if you have an automatic transmission. Does anyone know if the CHSTEK HU knows when to trigger the backup camera on a manual transmission? Has anyone here put in this HU with a backup camera on a manual transmission yet? My current aftermarket camera seems to be triggered by the canbus now because it stays on until I reach a certain MPH when I start driving forward after reversing. If possible, I would like to keep that function if I decided to switch to the CHSTEK HU.
Hopefully, someone with a CHSTEK unit and manual transmission will chime in, but assuming the CHSTEK canbus interface is good, it ought to work in the same way for you. The behaviour you describe (remaining on until a certain forward direction mph is reached) is how the OEM Porsche backup cameras work, so you are definitely set up properly.

For the benefit of the thread, could you describe how you connected your backup camera to the HU as this question comes up quite often wrt to manual cars. TIA!

Old 05-21-2024, 11:44 AM
boxdriver
Instructor

Originally Posted by ZedZed
Hopefully, someone with a CHSTEK unit and manual transmission will chime in, but assuming the CHSTEK canbus interface is good, it ought to work in the same way for you. The behaviour you describe (remaining on until a certain forward direction mph is reached) is how the OEM Porsche backup cameras work, so you are definitely set up properly.

For the benefit of the thread, could you describe how you connected your backup camera to the HU as this question comes up quite often wrt to manual cars. TIA!
I have an older aftermarket camara system that I put in when I first got the car 4 years ago. One of the only options available at the time was a system by Maxspeed-motorsports (they don't have it listed as an option anymore). I remember that it had a wiring adapter that plugged into the back of the radio and then into the original cables, similar to the way the Mr12Volt system does. This gave the video cable that it needed. The power wire went to the fuse box. They then sent me some type of file which I had to use to program the car to know that there was a camera. This was done through the OBD2 port if I remember correctly.
Old 05-21-2024, 12:13 PM
ralphsmit
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

My car is in the workshop at the moment so I cant physically check, does anyone know if the PCM 3.1 with sound package plus and the ASK amp under the seat is connected via Fiber Optic. Attached are some pics from a while back in case that helps to determine what is what

Old 05-21-2024, 12:15 PM
Roman ACS
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 126 Likes on 95 Posts

Get a Pic of the finger and cm of the quad lock (big black plug) on the that goes into the pcm.

Our website is now LIVE! please visit us at www.ACSByRoman.com

COUPON CODE "toys" FOR FREE INSTALL KIT!

On site install is available in the Philadelphia PA area as is Global shipping!

CLICK HERE JOIN OUR FACEBOOK GROUP
Old 05-21-2024, 01:09 PM
boxdriver
Instructor

Originally Posted by ralphsmit
My car is in the workshop at the moment so I cant physically check, does anyone know if the PCM 3.1 with sound package plus and the ASK amp under the seat is connected via Fiber Optic. Attached are some pics from a while back in case that helps to determine what is what
You do not have fiber optics if you have the sound package plus with the ASK amp.

Quick Reply: Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1