991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2024 | 07:52 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

BTW, I have used Nova launcher on my phones for a long time now and I love its customisability. For some reason, I haven't tried it in the car. I may download it to the HU and make a custom, car-oriented home screen. There isn't much you can't do with Nova so it would be interesting to try to design a home screen that resembles the OEM Porsche HU.
Old 04-24-2024 | 08:13 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by andy2111
@ZedZed who makes the expensive unit in your Panamera? I'm curious whether or not they do a version for the 911?!
There are a few similar units. Mine was the only one available at the time and it is a ZWNAV unit. I suspect the main reason it was expensive is the widescreen design and the limited market for it (I think only Panamera and Macan) rather than anything special in its innards. HST, it does have a lot more menu options and custom options than the Cayman unit, so they seem to have done a more extensive custom job on the basic Android OS.

Here are some links:

This is the ZWNAV official store on Ali: (I had to shorten the links with tinyurl - Ali links seem to be huge)

https://tinyurl.com/53tr2ww2

One of the main considerations when choosing a Panamera widescreen unit was that the choices for RHD cars is limited. Because of the way the unit integrates into the car, most have been designed for LHD. There is a bigger choice now than when I bought mine.

Some sellers even offer a dual widescreen version now:

https://best.aliexpress.com/?spm=a2g..._redirect=true

If that had been available for my car as a RHD unit, it doesn't take much imagination to know that this is the one I would have gone for, obvs - LOL.

This one looks pretty much the same as mine, and this design fits 'centrally' in the dash so it suits both LHD and RHD cars:

https://tinyurl.com/33axsetf

Another design for LHD only (they have to provide a new trim panel to accommodate the unit's design, hence you need to specify LHD or RHD

https://tinyurl.com/5n7dje57

It seems that Ali product pages' links can't be copied - the copied link always takes you back to the Ali home page for some reason. I bet the sellers love that!

Last edited by ZedZed; 04-24-2024 at 08:22 AM.
Old 04-24-2024 | 08:17 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Bl**dy thing - none of those links go to the right place. Bear with me while I fix it.

Ali Express seems to be having some site issues ATM. I can't access my order page or my wiosh list either. Sorry about the links.

Last edited by ZedZed; 04-24-2024 at 08:25 AM.
Old 04-24-2024 | 08:37 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Andy - try this for ZWNAV:

https://zwnav.net/
Old 04-24-2024 | 02:18 PM
andy2111
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the link - they are expensive! Looks like they sell the "Erisin" unit for £440!

I think the tactic of these companies is to sell the exact same unit through multiple brands and at different prices so they can sweep up a larger number of customers

They have a buttonless unit for the 911 but I think (if I ever decided to change HU) I'd go for this CHSTEK unit that was mentioned a few weeks ago as I like the big screen and buttons!
Old 04-24-2024 | 02:23 PM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by andy2111
Thanks for the link - they are expensive! Looks like they sell the "Erisin" unit for £440!

I think the tactic of these companies is to sell the exact same unit through multiple brands and at different prices so they can sweep up a larger number of customers

They have a buttonless unit for the 911 but I think (if I ever decided to change HU) I'd go for this CHSTEK unit that was mentioned a few weeks ago as I like the big screen and buttons!
Yes, you would really miss having buttons! And especially a volume ****.

Old 04-24-2024 | 03:43 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

My unit does not have a volume ****, so it is a minimum of two screen touches to change volume. If I had to do it again, I would get one with a volume ****.

Last edited by Porsche_nuts; 04-24-2024 at 04:57 PM.
Old 04-24-2024 | 04:55 PM
mamick
Intermediate

So far I have been happy with "Ersin" like HU, but here are the issues I have or have run into:

- The extremely low volume level of audio messages (text message playback, Waze directions, google directions, etc..) on Carplay makes it completely useless. I believe this is a HU problem as I can use Carplay in my 2016 GMC Yukon with the stock radio and my wife's 2020 Lexus RX 350 with the stock radio, I have also used in multiple rental cars and the audio level of Carplay is fine. I will say with everyone of those exampled I plugged in my iPhone but since this HU does not support wired Carplay I cannot verify it is related to the wireless connection or not. I have turned up the volume in each app as loud as it will allow in its specific settings but I finally just gave up (also adjusting the app settings makes the audio extremely loud when I then use my iPhone in my GMC). I can make music from my iPhone play at seemingly good levels, but I am not much of an audiophile and the sound of my 911 is my music!

- The volume level adjustment dial on my steering wheel and the HU got out of sync on a long drive. The response was severely delayed, and when I overrode with the **** a few seconds or minutes later it would remember that I had use the dial and adjust the volume. I have not been able to reproduce. Cleared on next drive.

- The station display in the MFD, seems to work sometimes. If I am on that display sometimes it just works, most of the time it just has T000. I can change stations and when I change stations it works (most of the time). Would be better if it did just not work.

Much like ZedZed I keep my unit in standby. I have traveled and not driven the car for two weeks and never had a battery issue so far.
The following users liked this post:
RwdConnor (04-24-2024)
Old 04-24-2024 | 04:57 PM
RwdConnor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mamick
So far I have been happy with "Ersin" like HU, but here are the issues I have or have run into:

- The extremely low volume level of audio messages (text message playback, Waze directions, google directions, etc..) on Carplay makes it completely useless. I believe this is a HU problem as I can use Carplay in my 2016 GMC Yukon with the stock radio and my wife's 2020 Lexus RX 350 with the stock radio, I have also used in multiple rental cars and the audio level of Carplay is fine. I will say with everyone of those exampled I plugged in my iPhone but since this HU does not support wired Carplay I cannot verify it is related to the wireless connection or not. I have turned up the volume in each app as loud as it will allow in its specific settings but I finally just gave up (also adjusting the app settings makes the audio extremely loud when I then use my iPhone in my GMC). I can make music from my iPhone play at seemingly good levels, but I am not much of an audiophile and the sound of my 911 is my music!

- The volume level adjustment dial on my steering wheel and the HU got out of sync on a long drive. The response was severely delayed, and when I overrode with the **** a few seconds or minutes later it would remember that I had use the dial and adjust the volume. I have not been able to reproduce. Cleared on next drive.

- The station display in the MFD, seems to work sometimes. If I am on that display sometimes it just works, most of the time it just has T000. I can change stations and when I change stations it works (most of the time). Would be better if it did just not work.

Much like ZedZed I keep my unit in standby. I have traveled and not driven the car for two weeks and never had a battery issue so far.
I just turned my standby back on.

Interesting, i turned off all the maps, radio, etc in the MFD just because i thought it wouldnt work.
Old 04-24-2024 | 06:27 PM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
My unit does not have a volume ****, so it is a minimum of two screen touches to change volume. If I had to do it again, I would get one with a volume ****.
You could try one of these:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005...21ef1802SsQ8Nw

Takes about 5 minutes to install and works great. I installed the volume control section in the Panamera's overhead console - easy to reach and operate. Way better than messing with on-screen sliders.

Here you go @Porsche_nuts - this is what it looks like installed here:

Last edited by ZedZed; 04-24-2024 at 06:48 PM.
Old 04-24-2024 | 06:32 PM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mamick

There shouldn't be an issue with low volume in CarPlay or AA. Have you checked EVERY gain control setting in the HU factory menu? Did you select 'mix' for the balance between radio/music and nav instructions? If so, did you turn up the nav setting to a high enough level. Nobody AFAIK has reported low volume from CarPlay or Android Auto, so it could just be a settings issue.

The station display in the MFD is not supposed to work - that info came from the PCM, which is no longer there. I disabled that display in the Porsche settings menu (along with the nav map etc) so I no longer see a pointless display when I scroll through.
Old 04-24-2024 | 06:33 PM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RwdConnor
I just turned my standby back on.

Interesting, i turned off all the maps, radio, etc in the MFD just because i thought it wouldnt work.
That's the way to go. A display that just relayed info from the PCM isn't going to work when the PCM is on a shelf in the garage
Old 04-24-2024 | 08:45 PM
mamick
Intermediate

While I get disabling and I have done that for maps, the radio display does work, it just seems to have an issue at power up.

Last edited by mamick; 04-24-2024 at 08:53 PM.
Old 04-24-2024 | 10:06 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by ZedZed
You could try one of these:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005...21ef1802SsQ8Nw

Takes about 5 minutes to install and works great. I installed the volume control section in the Panamera's overhead console - easy to reach and operate. Way better than messing with on-screen sliders.

Here you go @Porsche_nuts - this is what it looks like installed here:

Yep. already tried that Zed, but it will not pair with my HU, for whatever reason.
Old 04-25-2024 | 04:14 AM
andy2111
Rennlist Member

@mamick it might just be how the photos look in low light, but your dash lights seem quite bright.

Have you seen the posts about this and/or have you applied the canbus fix?

Ignore me if you already did it!

Quick Reply: Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1