Sponsored by:

Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2024, 01:07 PM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Received 238 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by RwdConnor
So with iPhone, jailbreaking was the way to edit literally anything on the phone. With Android, i believe its called "Rooting". The other problem is your are now fighting the OS of the unit. Im not very familiar with rooting android devices so id have to look into that.
I am told, but take this with a palaeolithic-sized grain of salt, that these HUs are already rooted. I have no idea of the significance of that, however. I failed all my jiggery-pokery classes in school, needless to say.
The following users liked this post:
RwdConnor (04-09-2024)
Old 04-09-2024, 01:11 PM
RwdConnor
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 32 Posts

I think the only good way to use your phone on the HU is with AA or CarPlay. That dream of having a nice google dialer is far too involved and seems to be impossible.

Switching topics, ThinkDiag on the Erisin. Anyone successfully do it? I just ordered the dongle last night. I was able to download the app from the playstore and run it.. Couldnt see why it wouldnt work.
Old 04-09-2024, 01:14 PM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by andy2111
I think the challenge is as already mentioned in this thread somewhere, the Chinese head units are basically tablets with a phone module bolted on and they use some kludgy way to get their bespoke (and terrible) dialler working. This is why you can't install a new dialler app like you can with any regular Android phone

There are a few forum posts going back a number of years on the topic and I dont think there's an easy solution. I'd love to be proven wrong as I also use the HU in native mode and would like to use the Google dialler app
Yeah, I'd like to use the Google dialler too. Is the bolted-on phone module a hardware thing or a software thing? If it's hardware, I guess we're stuck with it, unless Erisin decide to get on it. It's not a biggie for us since neither of us tend to use the phone when driving. All we really want is for any incoming call to identify itself so we know if it might be important or not. Now I have managed to sync the phone book from the phone to the unit, that is working well enough. The quality of the calls is good as well when I tested it.
Old 04-09-2024, 01:22 PM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

I think the only good way to use your phone on the HU is with AA or CarPlay. That dream of having a nice google dialer is far too involved and seems to be impossible.
We can use the phone OK - it's just that the GUI is pretty horrible (compared with Google Dialer etc). I use AA anyway in the Panamera and my wife isn't complaining in the Cayman as she hardly ever uses the phone while driving. It's something she can live with, for the substantial other benefits she is getting from the HU. Happy wife, happy life etc

Switching topics, ThinkDiag on the Erisin. Anyone successfully do it? I just ordered the dongle last night. I was able to download the app from the playstore and run it.. Couldnt see why it wouldnt work.
I should imagine it will work OK. I know that the TorquePro app works OK with the HUs, once a suitable dongle has been inserted into the OBDII port. You can set up a really cool set of gauges on the HU with Torque Pro.

For Porsche diagnostics, I use a Foxwell. Really good device to have around. As well as diagnostics and fault code clearing, the unit can do a fair amount of programming (coding) too which I have found useful on occasion (eg when installing my new steering wheel.
Old 04-09-2024, 01:39 PM
Chuck245
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by ZedZed
Yeah, I'd like to use the Google dialler too. Is the bolted-on phone module a hardware thing or a software thing? If it's hardware, I guess we're stuck with it, unless Erisin decide to get on it. It's not a biggie for us since neither of us tend to use the phone when driving. All we really want is for any incoming call to identify itself so we know if it might be important or not. Now I have managed to sync the phone book from the phone to the unit, that is working well enough. The quality of the calls is good as well when I tested it.
From the quick try that I did a couple of weeks ago installing Google Phone on the HU, I think that the issue is related to Google Phone looking for the underline Android software and HU hardware to support a cellular connection. We know that Erisin supports a cellular connection but most likely it's accessed in a proprietary manner by their phone app through their cellular hardware.

One test I would suggest is for somebody having installed and activated a cellular connection using a SIM and a cellular service (T-Mobile, AT&T, etc...) to try to install Google Phone and see if it can detect the HU cellular service. When I tried without the SIM last time, Google Phone error message specifically pointed to the HU not having an active cellular service. There are also extensive cellular settings in the HU to try to fiddle with, but it looks like they only work if a SIM is installed. This is just hypothetical and guessing as only Erisin can tell us what works (and what doesn't). Did one of the Erisin owners asked them by any chance?

Different topic, there is an April CanBus App update available for download from the HU updates screen. I installed it and the brightness control still working and I didn't notice anything new or broken.
The following users liked this post:
ZedZed (04-09-2024)
Old 04-09-2024, 03:05 PM
andy2111
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 119 Posts

I already tried Google dialler with an active cellular service and it didn't work - as we suspect there's a proprietary implementation of the dialler and phone hardware going on somewhere...

Glad the latest canbus still works - I hope to finally get my car back from it's expensive trip to the workshop later in the week so I'll update it then...
Old 04-09-2024, 03:10 PM
Chuck245
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by andy2111
I already tried Google dialler with an active cellular service and it didn't work - as we suspect there's a proprietary implementation of the dialler and phone hardware going on somewhere...

Glad the latest canbus still works - I hope to finally get my car back from it's expensive trip to the workshop later in the week so I'll update it then...
Do you remember by any chance the error message that Google Phone posted? Trying to check if trying with the SIM activated made any difference. I will check again what error I get on my car and we can compare.
Old 04-09-2024, 03:37 PM
andy2111
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 119 Posts

I'll check when I get the car back. from memory there may not have been an error,, it just didn't work when you tried to dial..
Old 04-09-2024, 04:55 PM
ratt359
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 36 Posts

@ZedZed I may not understand the issue with the native dialler properly, but I have chosen to use a launcher called VIVID which has it's own dialler - a significant improvement over the stock dialler on my HU. For the purposes of testing (I would normally use CarPlay), I connected my phone via Bluetooth, sync'd Contacts and Recents and used the VIVID dialler, as I'm assuming your wife would do. All works fine.

VIVID isn't available from the UK Play store, but can be downloaded from APK Pure (latest version is "VIVID Car Launcher_6.4.5_Apkpure.apk"). VIVID is worth looking at as a launcher regardless - I think it's the best out there. I hope this helps.
Old 04-09-2024, 06:14 PM
ratt359
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by ratt359
@ZedZed I may not understand the issue with the native dialler properly, but I have chosen to use a launcher called VIVID which has it's own dialler - a significant improvement over the stock dialler on my HU. For the purposes of testing (I would normally use CarPlay), I connected my phone via Bluetooth, sync'd Contacts and Recents and used the VIVID dialler, as I'm assuming your wife would do. All works fine.

VIVID isn't available from the UK Play store, but can be downloaded from APK Pure (latest version is "VIVID Car Launcher_6.4.5_Apkpure.apk"). VIVID is worth looking at as a launcher regardless - I think it's the best out there. I hope this helps.
To clarify - by "stock dialler on my HU", I meant the dialler of the stock launcher. I would assume this is just a different skin for the same (Bluetooth) dialler.

I have a SIM card arriving for the HU in a few days and expect Google Phone to work once installed.
Old 04-09-2024, 07:12 PM
Chuck245
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ratt359
To clarify - by "stock dialler on my HU", I meant the dialler of the stock launcher. I would assume this is just a different skin for the same (Bluetooth) dialler.

I have a SIM card arriving for the HU in a few days and expect Google Phone to work once installed.
I think that the issue at play here is that some Android dialers (e.g. Google Phone) are designed to work on phones and thus only can dial through the phone cellular hardware/software. From the little we know about how the Erisin HU works, while they have a cellular option that allows to install a SIM and connect directly to a cellular network, this connection seems to be implemented in a proprietary manner and only their phone dialer can connect to the cell service. That would explain why Andy was not able to get the Google Phone to work despite having a SIM card installed and a cellular service activated.

There may be other reasons why Andy's tentative was not successful (specific cellular service, Erisin telephony service configuration in their setup menu, etc...) so it will be interesting to see if you can get it to work when you receive your SIM card. Please let us know the outcome.

Regarding other options to get dialers working, I think that any dialer that can dial through a Wi-Fi or BT connection to a phone that is connected to a cellular service should work. That seems to be confirmed by your tests with Vivid dialer. I also did a test with the dialer app that our home VoIP company provides for Android and it connects to the service company servers using TCP/IP VoIP so works well on the Erisin when the HU is connected to our home Wi-Fi. I would expect it to work also with a SIM and a cellular service activated in the HU. But I have not figured out if the Google Phone can be configured to connect through BT or Wi-Fi and that's why this dialer is not working. If anybody knows, please share.

Here is the error message I get when I try to dial a number using Google Phone installed on the Erisin HU.

Old 04-09-2024, 07:26 PM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Chuck245

Here is the error message I get when I try to dial a number using Google Phone installed on the Erisin HU.
I get the same here.
Old 04-10-2024, 02:13 AM
zcspec
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

I wanted to share my recent experience....over the weekend, I installed the "piggyback PCM style" CarPlay/Android Auto setup inside the PCM. Installation was a success and made my drive around the Malibu canyons so much more enjoyable! This is a worthwhile addition to the 991.
The following 5 users liked this post by zcspec:
andy2111 (04-10-2024), Chuck245 (04-10-2024), JConk007 (04-23-2024), ratt359 (04-10-2024), ZedZed (04-10-2024)
Old 04-10-2024, 05:11 AM
Tangerine
Pro

Received 125 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by zcspec
I wanted to share my recent experience....over the weekend, I installed the "piggyback PCM style" CarPlay/Android Auto setup inside the PCM. Installation was a success and made my drive around the Malibu canyons so much more enjoyable! This is a worthwhile addition to the 991.
Which exact one did you install?
Old 04-10-2024, 08:12 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

For those trying to get wired Carplay working, I just stumbled on this earlier post of mine in a different thread. Might be worth a try.

Did you get Carplay working with a cable? Apologies if this was already covered earlier, but are you sure you are using a suitable cable? I recall you saying you had tried more than one cable, but you will only get wired Carplay working if a) you are using the car's OEM USB port and b) you are using a high-speed cable capable of data transfer as well as charging. You may have already got this covered, but I think Apple only recently went to USB C so the user base might not be aware that not all USB cables are the same.

Quick Reply: Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1