Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2024, 05:13 PM
Tangerine
Pro

Received 124 Likes on 71 Posts

I expect in a few years they would introduce a 991 generation retrofit. It needs to be outdated enough that a critical mass of people would upgrade/replace it. I'm in that camp myself, I did an Isudar upgrade but it's a bit janky (it will stay on for 30 minutes after the car is off and refuse to release my phone connection) and the resistive screen (compared to capacitive on the 991.2) is kind of yuck. I do hope they eventually release one, I just understand why the 997 got it first.
The following users liked this post:
racefox (04-06-2024)
Old 04-06-2024, 06:58 PM
Indyxc
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Tangerine
I expect in a few years they would introduce a 991 generation retrofit. It needs to be outdated enough that a critical mass of people would upgrade/replace it. I'm in that camp myself, I did an Isudar upgrade but it's a bit janky (it will stay on for 30 minutes after the car is off and refuse to release my phone connection) and the resistive screen (compared to capacitive on the 991.2) is kind of yuck. I do hope they eventually release one, I just understand why the 997 got it first.
I would be a buyer. I'm a diyer and have considered a PCM upgrade with the ISUDAR, joyauto, etc, but I honestly don't care to upgrade it on my GT3 RS on something less than fully functional.

I would buy a factory upgrade that I know is fully integrated, and no quality haps.
The following 2 users liked this post by Indyxc:
racefox (04-06-2024), Shotgun (04-06-2024)
Old 04-06-2024, 11:10 PM
Bgreig
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please update 991 PCM

I too would be a buyer for an updated PCM with CarPlay for my 991.1.

Porsche, are you listening?

thanks
Old 04-07-2024, 05:12 AM
andy2111
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 95 Posts

Talking of more OEM style head units.... @ratt359 are you still watching this thread and have you received your new head unit yet? Aesthetically it looks really good and I'd love to hear how you find it...
Old 04-07-2024, 05:50 AM
ratt359
Advanced

Received 56 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by andy2111
Talking of more OEM style head units.... @ratt359 are you still watching this thread and have you received your new head unit yet? Aesthetically it looks really good and I'd love to hear how you find it...
Morning @andy2111 ! Funny you should ask - I was just about to post. The CHSTEK unit arrived last week and I had a chance yesterday to get started on the installation. So far, so good!
- screen is great and very responsive. It also looks really good against the OEM console buttons etc - exactly as I was hoping
- round things that you twist and push (avoiding the k word that this forum forbids!) feel good. The one on the left is a standard infinite turn, the one on the left is a left/right sprung / return to centre selector. The buttons feel nice, too - not cheap or "clicky"
- it's a tight fit - I haven't fully mounted it yet but it will be fine and the concerns we shared about fit based on the dodgy marketing photos seem unfounded
- music through the MOST BOSE adapter sounds great - my early impressions are that it's better than the PCM 3.1. I don't think I have any sound through the rear speakers, but that's not a big deal for me
- CarPlay sound is so good wireless that I doubt I'll ever use wired
- OEM USB adapter works fine. I haven't tested wired CarPlay yet, but will do so today
To do:
- I want to use OEM antennas wherever possible (rather than those supplied) so have purchased a Fakra C to SMA for GPS (arriving today) and will purchase a Fakra D to SMA for telephone (harder to source - but loads on AliExpress)
- I'd like to use the the OEM mic rather than the one shipped if possible, so would welcome ideas
- I'd like to route the SIM card extender cable + additional USB port to somewhere accessible - again would welcome ideas
- I haven't given much thought to customising the launcher etc - again would welcome recommendations

Happy to address questions, take pics as your or other forum members require.
Old 04-07-2024, 08:01 AM
andy2111
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 95 Posts

All sounds really positive!

Would be great see some pics including the rear connectors and maybe also the wiring diagram if you have one?

Once you are familiar with it it would be good to hear what you think about the launcher interface it comes with..
Old 04-07-2024, 09:48 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Received 215 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by Indyxc
I would be a buyer. I'm a diyer and have considered a PCM upgrade with the ISUDAR, joyauto, etc, but I honestly don't care to upgrade it on my GT3 RS on something less than fully functional.

I would buy a factory upgrade that I know is fully integrated, and no quality haps.
A genuine, up-to-date Porsche replacement HU would be awesome of course, but I suspect it would cost 10 times what these aftermarket units cost. But the Android units are 'fully functional' in the sense that you don't lose any of the features you had before. One could argue that with the addition of Android Auto or CarPlay, you actually gain functionality. All the settings formerly controlled by the PCM (eg door mirror dip on reverse, interior light delay, welcome home delay etc etc) are retained in the aftermarket HU, along with canbus information (door, trunk open, proximity sensor display, backup camera etc).

I think the Erisin unit is very close in the way it looks to the PCM, but it has a way better display, proper touch-screen operability, and can run AA or CP. Until or unless Porsche make available an updated PCM, I think it's the best we can do. TBH, even if Porsche did offer an updated PCM, I personally wouldn't want to spend thousands of dollars for it, but I can understand the thinking of those who would.

The Isudar board is a sort of halfway-house solution, but it is more difficult to install and a lot of users have discovered various issues that can't seem to be fixed. I understand that the similar Mr 12V solution is much better from a reliability POV, and could be an interim solution for those who want to retain the OEM PCM 3.1.
Old 04-07-2024, 09:53 AM
ratt359
Advanced

Pics below. Some notes:
  • The CHSTEK wiring diagram below matches my unit, but doesn't picture the MOST BOSE adapter, which I bought with the unit and came pre-wired. Also:
    • One of the two USB connectors can be swapped out with the supplied OEM USB adapter (yellow FAKRA), which I've done
    • The radio antenna port comes with an adapter to use OEM antenna
    • Per my previous post, to use OEM GPS and telephone antennas, you'll need to buy the respective FAKRA-SMA adapters (C and D)
  • Through trial and error, I've realised that there's only one way to fit the unit - and that's to insert it from the top at a steep angle (as pictured). Trying to push it in directly is too snug and will damage the surround. You can see a mark to the leather in the top left - annoying, but should be easy to fix
  • When correctly inserted, the unit sits inside of the frame and looks very OEM

The following 3 users liked this post by ratt359:
cwb911 (04-15-2024), q8linux (04-07-2024), ZedZed (04-07-2024)
Old 04-07-2024, 10:01 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by andy2111
All sounds really positive!

Would be great see some pics including the rear connectors and maybe also the wiring diagram if you have one?
These are from the CHSTEK Official Store on Ali:
[Ooops - ratt359 beat me to it ]

Last edited by ZedZed; 04-07-2024 at 10:02 AM.
Old 04-07-2024, 10:06 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ratt359
. I don't think I have any sound through the rear speakers, but that's not a big deal for me ...
See my post a few posts back where I explain how to enter the DSP settings and make adjustments to enable sound from rear speakers.

Here it is: https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1045...l#post19369705

Last edited by ZedZed; 04-07-2024 at 10:07 AM.
Old 04-07-2024, 10:23 AM
ratt359
Advanced

Thanks @ZedZed . I did see your post and did have a play with these settings, but moving the fader to the rear speakers just muted the sound. I will continue to play!
Old 04-07-2024, 11:28 AM
shammerman
Rennlist Member

Received 651 Likes on 344 Posts

@ZedZed - Porsche makes one for 997/987 and it is very reasonable. I wish they would make one for 991.1! I am seriously looking at Mr12Volt but haven't pulled the trigger yet.

Porsche replacement upgrade for 997: https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/sku997pccm.html

Old 04-07-2024, 11:28 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Thanks @ZedZed . I did see your post and did have a play with these settings, but moving the fader to the rear speakers just muted the sound. I will continue to play!
Keep fiddling! Your unit isn't the same as mine, but they are all basically similar underneath I think. There may be a combination of those controls that gives you what you want. I know that in both our cars, with totally different (to each other) units, I could find a sweet spot where I had most of the sound coming from the front and a bit coming from the rear, which is how I normally have the sound set anyway. Try messsing with those 'presets' in the sound field page too.
Old 04-07-2024, 11:30 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by shammerman
@ZedZed - Porsche makes one for 997/987 and it is very reasonable. I wish they would make one for 991.1! I am seriously looking at Mr12Volt but haven't pulled the trigger yet.

Porsche replacement upgrade for 997: https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/sku997pccm.html
That's not bad by Porsche price standards. It's only 5 times more expensive than the Erisin
Old 04-07-2024, 02:52 PM
ratt359
Advanced

Still no luck with the speakers but really not too bothered. In other news from the CHSTEK:

- OEM GPS antenna now connected and offline maps working fine
- OEM mic seems to be in use without any mods, so won't need the one supplied - a couple of test calls confirm perfect pick-up
- I'm going to route the extra USB to the compartment under the armrest and fit a flush USB 3.0 port
- couldn't get wired CarPlay working when I tried earlier, but again I don't have need for it
The following 2 users liked this post by ratt359:
q8linux (04-07-2024), RwdConnor (04-07-2024)

Quick Reply: Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1