991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2024 | 12:15 PM
RwdConnor
Rennlist Member

Maybe im missing something in the settings.

I took the unit out and plugged the FAKRA cable in, i now have power to the OEM USB port in the glove box. However, still no wired car play. Kinda annoying.
Old 04-05-2024 | 12:45 PM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RwdConnor
See this is why i love forums and have used them for almost 2 decades... I never plugged that FAKRA cable in.... Let me do that and test!
Maybe im missing something in the settings.

I took the unit out and plugged the FAKRA cable in, i now have power to the OEM USB port in the glove box. However, still no wired car play. Kinda annoying.
Halfway there then I am starting to wonder if the HU doesn't support wired Apple CarPlay. I think that would be very odd but I am at a loss to understand why it isn't working. Is there some setting in CarPlay that you need to enable? I am stuck now because although I have definitely heard of CarPlay, I have never actually seen it for myself. Where are all the Apple gurus??
The following users liked this post:
RwdConnor (04-05-2024)
Old 04-05-2024 | 12:49 PM
RwdConnor
Rennlist Member

Just pulled this from the Erisin website

" CarPlay
- Built-in CarPlay: Yes, just connect your smartphone to this unit with Bluetooth to use this function
- Connection: Wireless
- Support Device: iPhone iOS 7.1 and above
- Unit's Screen Control Phone: No, but you can download CarPlay supported function APK to use and control"

If wired is not an option thats kinda annoying, but not the end of the world
Old 04-05-2024 | 01:08 PM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Just pulled this from the Erisin website

" CarPlay
- Built-in CarPlay: Yes, just connect your smartphone to this unit with Bluetooth to use this function
- Connection: Wireless
- Support Device: iPhone iOS 7.1 and above
- Unit's Screen Control Phone: No, but you can download CarPlay supported function APK to use and control"

If wired is not an option thats kinda annoying, but not the end of the world
I'd want to hear it directly from someone at Erisin. These websites are mines of disinformation. The place I bought the Cayman unit from insisted that Android Auito was wired only. I was just as certain it was also wireless (which is what I wanted) and bingo - I was right. Try emailing ali@erisin.com and see if you get a response. CP may well be wireless only, but it just seems odd to me.

RwdConnor (04-05-2024)
Old 04-05-2024 | 01:11 PM
RwdConnor
Rennlist Member

Just Emailed them. Lets see!
Old 04-05-2024 | 01:15 PM
andy2111
Rennlist Member

That's a real shame... but at least you have got yourself another USB socket as a consolation prize!

I'd echo what Zed said about bluetooth audio quality - BT5 audio Codecs are so much better than a few years ago I really doubt you'd hear the difference when driving cars like ours and TBH a lot depends on the source quality of your music e.g. is it compressed MP3 or lossless etc etc

Interesting thoughts here: BT vs wired (in the same DAC) comparison? | Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum

If you play around with the new DSP EQ that you now have access to then I think you'll find BT audio a vast improvement on the PCM 3.1

BTW did you check the build date of your Canbus app? If it is March 2024 then you have the latest - if not then you may have the bright lights issue without realizing it yet!
RwdConnor (04-05-2024)
Old 04-05-2024 | 01:21 PM
RwdConnor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by andy2111
That's a real shame... but at least you have got yourself another USB socket as a consolation prize!

I'd echo what Zed said about bluetooth audio quality - BT5 audio Codecs are so much better than a few years ago I really doubt you'd hear the difference when driving cars like ours and TBH a lot depends on the source quality of your music e.g. is it compressed MP3 or lossless etc etc

Interesting thoughts here: BT vs wired (in the same DAC) comparison? | Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum

If you play around with the new DSP EQ that you now have access to then I think you'll find BT audio a vast improvement on the PCM 3.1

BTW did you check the build date of your Canbus app? If it is March 2024 then you have the latest - if not then you may have the bright lights issue without realizing it yet!
No doubt the tech has caught up for audio streaming. Im just a simple guy that prefers wired. I notice with the wireless, switching songs is a bit lagging. Maybe thats the HU OS thats doing that but.. im interested to see if i can tell a difference as im pretty sensitive to sound changed. Might be my slight undiagnosed autism? who knows.

Ill check on the Canbus build date a little later. All i know is that the button to update it was greyed out.
ZedZed (04-05-2024)
Old 04-05-2024 | 01:27 PM
andy2111
Rennlist Member

You can use the AUX input if you really want wired audio - see connectors 7 in the diagram above

You'd need an adapter for the iPhone to give you a 3.5mm female headphone socket and then use a cable witrh male 3.5mm on one end and 2x male RCAs on the other.

But you wouldn't be able to charge your phone at the same time, unless you fit one of the magnetic wireless charging things (which is on my shopping list too) and then it should all work
Old 04-05-2024 | 01:29 PM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

If he is streaming Tidal, Spotify etc from CarPlay to the HU, the streaming data is sent via CarPlay wifi not BT. BT is just used for the initial connection. Wifi supports way more bandwidth than BT and allows for streaming the highest resolution Tidal (etc) offers with no problems. SQ is higher than CD, which seems to be enough for most. If he has music downloaded to his phone and streams that wirelessly to the HU, then that will be via BT. But if he prefers downloaded music files, he might as well copy them to a USB drive and plug that into the HU and use the built-in music player (or one from the Play Store).

For context, I am what some call an 'audiophile' (I hate the word personally). I have an expensive tube amplifier setup and a big collection of vinyl to play on my turntable. I also stream the high-res content from Tidal, via a semi-tube-based streaming device, to the tube amp. I've been involved in sound reproduction as a hobby, and for a time professionally, for decades. Having said all that, I agree with your comments above. In such a dreadful acoustic environment as a car, nobody will really care what source their audio is from because the small differences in SQ will be masked by ambient noise, poor acoustics, small-scale speakers etc. Even Burmester systems are still competing with the acoustic space in the car and the limited room for speakers and subwoofers. CarPlay via wifi will sound at least as good as CD or better, depending on the resolution of the audio stream. CarPlay via BT will sound good enough. Music off a USB will sound the same as from CD (assuming lossless files are used).

From an audio perspective, RWDC should enjoy his music greatly from wireless CarPlay. He will definitely enjoy it from a USB stick. But I can see his point - he prefers a wired connection and he ouight to be able to have it. <flame> If he swapped his iPhone for a decent Android phone, he could break free from the clutches of Cupertino and have wired or wireless to suit his mood, of course </flame>
The following 2 users liked this post by ZedZed:
Larson E. Rapp (04-06-2024), RwdConnor (04-05-2024)
Old 04-05-2024 | 02:13 PM
RwdConnor
Rennlist Member

"RWDC"

Im also a big advocate for Hi-Fi. Have an analog setup myself in the office.
I use apple music because spotify does not offer Lossless audio streaming... (Its 2024, cmon spotify)

I will have NO iPhone slander in this chat. I got an android headunit, is that not enough for you android guys?!
Old 04-05-2024 | 02:50 PM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

"RWDC"

Im also a big advocate for Hi-Fi. Have an analog setup myself in the office.
I use apple music because spotify does not offer Lossless audio streaming... (Its 2024, cmon spotify)

I will have NO iPhone slander in this chat. I got an android headunit, is that not enough for you android guys?!

It's a step in the right direction, for sure
Old 04-06-2024 | 05:44 AM
andy2111
Rennlist Member

+1 for analog and valve amps....

Mine is rather large and says Marshall on the front!
Old 04-06-2024 | 05:55 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

+1 for analog and valve amps....

Mine is rather large and says Marshall on the front!
Yay!

EL34s?

Last edited by ZedZed; 04-06-2024 at 09:06 AM.
Old 04-06-2024 | 03:44 PM
andy2111
Rennlist Member

Yep EL34s 😁
ZedZed (04-06-2024)
Old 04-06-2024 | 03:52 PM
racefox
5th Gear

I’ve seen OEM replacement options for 997 generation - but why is Porsche not coming out with a solution for 991.1? It would be a dramatic upgrade and make those cars so much more desirable (given NA).

https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/2023...ing-30885.html

Or am I missing an obvious solution that would allow a dealership to upgrade 991.1 with Porsche approved retrofit? Apologies if this has been answered before.

Quick Reply: Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1