Sponsored by:

New 911 Carrera T: a completely pointless marketing exercise

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2017, 09:57 PM
K-A
Drifting

Received 136 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Why on earth would I 'want to believe' that they sound like crap?! I mostly love the car otherwise and if it sounded great I might even own one right now. Why would I lie about how I feel about the sound of the .2? What's your logic? What benefit do I get from making believe that I don't like the sound of these cars?
I haven’t seen one .2 owner gush about their cars sound in comparison to .1’s. Every .1 to .2 convert I’ve encountered states that the sound is one thing they prefer from their old car. Not one reviewer worth their salt says the .2 sound compares to any .1. I know a guy with a new .2 GTS who states his Macan GTS sounds even better. Never mind even getting into his N/A flat sixes.

Yet, low and behold, 370HP Sticky stands as the only one who actually tries to sell a 3.0L with lower compression and less power coming out of the actual engine (you know.... the part that actually makes the sound, before those 2 whistling power adders proceed to muffle and suck out even more sound) as superior.

Funny how it’s always the most biased shoulder chips that like to yell out how everyone else is biased. Or poor. Some story about a pot and kettle keeps playing in my head for some reason.
Old 10-24-2017, 10:00 PM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by K-A
I haven’t seen one .2 owner gush about their cars sound in comparison to .1’s. Every .1 to .2 convert I’ve encountered states that the sound is one thing they prefer from their old car. Not one reviewer worth their salt says the .2 sound compares to any .1. I know a guy with a new .2 GTS who states his Macan GTS sounds even better. Never mind even getting into his N/A flat sixes.

Yet, low and behold, 370HP Sticky stands as the only one who actually tries to sell a 3.0L with lower compression and less power coming out of the actual engine (you know.... the part that actually makes the sound, before those 2 whistling power adders proceed to muffle and suck out even more sound) as superior.

Funny how it’s always the most biased shoulder chips that like to yell out how everyone else is biased. Or poor. Some story about a pot and kettle keeps playing in my head for some reason.
I think it's you that is biased. The 3.0 liter is superior and obviously the compression is lower because it is turbocharged. You're trying to sell a motor that was never awarded, is outdated, and makes far less power and torque.

You are posting about emotion (too much soy?) and ignoring facts like the back to back International Engine of the Year Awards (the 3.4 and 3.8 never won):

Old 10-24-2017, 10:04 PM
K-A
Drifting

Originally Posted by sticky
Yeah all those non-enthusiast and non-emotional GT2 models over the years really support your argument.

This echo chamber of NA nonsense is to the point of ignoring Porsche's own history with enthusiast turbo models.
Wow, the GT2 [golf clap]. Good job working against your own point.

Turbo Porsche’s used to be rare, novelties. Yet N/A Porsche’s still sought the highest classic value. Now? Turbos are the norm, N/A moves to a novelty. Guess what’ll happen then?

Enjoy your precious 370 HP. It’s got a lot of tork bro.
Old 10-24-2017, 10:06 PM
randr
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

That's great. You sit there and talk about perceived values while others drive their cars.

The only sound I'm hearing coming from any 991.1 is butthurt.

This is a new 991.2. If you want to pat yourself on the back over your exhaust note you have a ton of other threads to do it in. Hell, record it and make it your ringtone. Add it to your playlist.

A new light and driver's focused 911 comes out and the insecurity plays out as it always does from the same people it always does.

Oh, and the 911 sure does a lot with its '370' hp like outrun the GT350 for example. Weird. An even lighter version will be even quicker.

#YourCarIsNotAGT3
Sticky, don't bother locking horns with the same half dozen guys that have only one option on commentary.

If they were really on the ball they would have had their money down on a GT3 a couple of years ago. (I did this with the 991.2 GT3 RS and was actually offered a .2 GT3 - declined it as I opted for 720S). The Porsche recipe is easy if you know how to play the game.

I agree with you and many of the other posters in this thread that a weight reduced 911 T makes a lot of sense with shorter gearing, loads of torque, rear axle steering, LWBs and sports PASM (add MPSC2 )

It'll be a fun corner carver, it'll be good on track too all RAS .2s are - ultimately, you need driver skill to be good/quick on a track - and as good as they are a GT3 doesn't miraculously bestow you with magical driver skills
Old 10-24-2017, 10:09 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by K-A
Wow, the GT2 [golf clap]. Good job working against your own point.

Turbo Porsche’s used to be rare, novelties. Yet N/A Porsche’s still sought the highest classic value. Now? Turbos are the norm, N/A moves to a novelty. Guess what’ll happen then?

Enjoy your precious 370 HP. It’s got a lot of tork bro.
How is a GT2 working against my own point? Porsche historically delivered rear wheel drive turbocharged 911's that were (and are) revered but when they come out with a lightweight turbo Carrera suddenly it isn't emotional or engaging based on opinions from those with the previous generation car? Odd coincidence.

I do not care if the 991.1 goes to $200k (it won't, it will dive just like the 997 models) the turbo motors are superior performers. The 991.1 isn't even a good NA flat-6. The GT3 is the benchmark.

That 370 hp with far more torque easily turns into 500+. What can your motor do other than have you posting about the engine sound because it can't keep up with... anything?
Old 10-24-2017, 10:11 PM
K-A
Drifting

I think it's you that is biased. The 3.0 liter is superior and obviously the compression is lower because it is turbocharged. You're trying to sell a motor that was never awarded, is outdated, and makes far less power and torque.

You are posting about emotion (too much soy?) and ignoring facts like the back to back International Engine of the Year Awards (the 3.4 and 3.8 never won):

Oh my sticky icky friend. Science ain’t your strong suit.

There are physics to this. Your engine on its own is far less powered than a 3.4L. It’s smaller. It also has lower compression. Those are the two main factors as to what constitutes a better flat six sound. Those turbos can whoosh out 20 or 200 extra horsepower, but they have zero effect on the natural sound of the motor. In fact, they further lesson the sound the natural motor makes.

Which is why your insanely fast 370 HP torque monster sounds kinda whack compared to my poverty spec edition bro.
Old 10-24-2017, 10:13 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by randr
Sticky, don't bother locking horns with the same half dozen guys that have only one option on commentary.

If they were really on the ball they would have had their money down on a GT3 a couple of years ago. (I did this with the 991.2 GT3 RS and was actually offered a .2 GT3 - declined it as I opted for 720S). The Porsche recipe is easy if you know how to play the game.

I agree with you and many of the other posters in this thread that a weight reduced 911 T makes a lot of sense with shorter gearing, loads of torque, rear axle steering, LWBs and sports PASM (add MPSC2 )

It'll be a fun corner carver, it'll be good on track too all RAS .2s are - ultimately, you need driver skill to be good/quick on a track - and as good as they are a GT3 doesn't miraculously bestow you with magical driver skills
I don't mind at all interrupting the same old circle jerk. A new 991.2 model comes out and the guys with 991.1's rush in to talk about their exhaust notes. It seems fitting both are full of hot air.

None of these guys have a GT3 because they couldn't afford one. They sit there talking about their old 911's as if they still are the best. They can not come to terms with the leap forward the 911 range took. The 991.1 isn't even much of an improvement over the 997.2 in reality. The 991.2 is a whole new ballgame.

I'm going to go talk to the dealer and see what I can do about getting into a 911 T or if this is going to be some allocation nightmare and I'll just keep mine and wait for the 992. Maybe I'll hear a 991.1 revving while at the dealer and I won't be able to escape the urge to trade it in for one.
Old 10-24-2017, 10:16 PM
K-A
Drifting

How is a GT2 working against my own point? Porsche historically delivered rear wheel drive turbocharged 911's that were (and are) revered but when they come out with a lightweight turbo Carrera suddenly it isn't emotional or engaging based on opinions from those with the previous generation car? Odd coincidence.

I do not care if the 991.1 goes to $200k (it won't, it will dive just like the 997 models) the turbo motors are superior performers. The 991.1 isn't even a good NA flat-6. The GT3 is the benchmark.

That 370 hp with far more torque easily turns into 500+. What can your motor do other than have you posting about the engine sound because it can't keep up with... anything?
Lol, another area that isn’t your expertise. 997’s are holding significant value since the sales decline .2’s came out. Don’t go looking up .1 transaction prices or you might find yourself cold-sweatedly hugging those 370 horses more tightly every night before bed.
Old 10-24-2017, 10:16 PM
Boulder Mike
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

I don't mind at all interrupting the same old circle jerk. A new 991.2 model comes out and the guys with 991.1's rush in to talk about their exhaust notes. It seems fitting both are full of hot air.

None of these guys have a GT3 because they couldn't afford one. They sit there talking about their old 911's as if they still are the best. They can not come to terms with the leap forward the 911 range took. The 991.1 isn't even much of an improvement over the 997.2 in reality. The 991.2 is a whole new ballgame.

I'm going to go talk to the dealer and see what I can do about getting into a 911 T or if this is going to be some allocation nightmare and I'll just keep mine and wait for the 992. Maybe I'll hear a 991.1 revving while at the dealer and I won't be able to escape the urge to trade it in for one.
I was just about to ask if anyone has talked to a dealer about availability of allocations. Would be interesting to hear how easy/hard to get this car. Please post what you find out. Thx
Old 10-24-2017, 10:17 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by K-A
Oh my sticky icky friend. Science ain’t your strong suit.

There are physics to this. Your engine on its own is far less powered than a 3.4L. It’s smaller. It also has lower compression. Those are the two main factors as to what constitutes a better flat six sound. Those turbos can whoosh out 20 or 200 extra horsepower, but they have zero effect on the natural sound of the motor. In fact, they further lesson the sound the natural motor makes.

Which is why your insanely fast 370 HP torque monster sounds kinda whack compared to my poverty spec edition bro.
You're telling me science isn't my strong suit while literally trying to discount the science that goes into engineering awards. My premise is literally supported with back to back International Engine of the Year Awards for the engineering of the 9A2B6 and you're telling me it's about science now?

My engine wasn't designed to be naturally aspirated. You don't go up to a 911 GTS and ask the owner to take his turbos off because your motor can't keep up.

Of course a forced induction motor will have lower compression. A naturally aspirated motor has to increase compression as it can not force air in. We're talking about two different engine designs here.

Turbos do affect the sound and I love hearing the turbos spool. Engine noise is not strictly determined by aspiration or compression as you seem to be implying but there is also the firing order, the crankshaft design (Ferrari's sound different for a reason), and a myriad of other things so your oversimplification is not scientific at all.

My insanely fast base 911 which spanks your poverty spec living in the past edition sounds exotic with the performance to back it up. You just have a run of the mill 911 that is all bark and no bite. Just like you.
Old 10-24-2017, 10:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Boulder Mike
I was just about to ask if anyone has talked to a dealer about availability of allocations. Would be interesting to hear how easy/hard to get this car. Please post what you find out. Thx
I'll let you know tomorrow.
Old 10-24-2017, 10:22 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by K-A
Lol, another area that isn’t your expertise. 997’s are holding significant value since the sales decline .2’s came out. Don’t go looking up .1 transaction prices or you might find yourself cold-sweatedly hugging those 370 horses more tightly every night before bed.
This is what you call significant value?

It points toward where 991.1's are headed. Sorry, your car isn't a GT3. It isn't special. It's just an old Carrera with outdated specs.
Old 10-24-2017, 10:24 PM
K-A
Drifting

You're telling me science isn't my strong suit while literally trying to discount the science that goes into engineering awards. My premise is literally supported with back to back International Engine of the Year Awards for the engineering of the 9A2B6 and you're telling me it's about science now?

My engine wasn't designed to be naturally aspirated. You don't go up to a 911 GTS and ask the owner to take his turbos off because your motor can't keep up.

Of course a forced induction motor will have lower compression. A naturally aspirated motor has to increase compression as it can not force air in. We're talking about two different engine designs here.

Turbos do affect the sound and I love hearing the turbos spool. Engine noise is not strictly determined by aspiration or compression as you seem to be implying but there is also the firing order, the crankshaft design (Ferrari's sound difference for a reason), and a myriad of other things so your oversimplification is not scientific at all.

My insanely fast base 911 which spank your poverty spec living in the past edition sounds exotic with the performance to back it up. You just have a run of the mill 911 that is all bark and no bite. Just like you.
You’re right bro. 370 HP is so much more than 350 bro. And you got all that tork so power curve bro. Game changer bro. And even though I’ll never be a douche on the street who’ll race a .2, I can imagine my car would be like going into reverse against your F&F street-race beast.
Old 10-24-2017, 10:28 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,805 Likes on 1,504 Posts

Ya probably have to go back the 964 -> 993 transition to get owner consensus that the 'new' 911 version was clearly better than the previous version...
Old 10-24-2017, 10:28 PM
K-A
Drifting

This is what you call significant value?

It points toward where 991.1's are headed. Sorry, your car isn't a GT3. It isn't special. It's just an old Carrera with outdated specs.
Haha. Wherever .1’s will go, your 370 firebreather will be even lower. Maybe you can afford one of those peasant mobiles when the lease on your stoplight rat runs out bro. And maybe by then I can afford a Hemi Challenger because I’ve seen the light and it is tork bro. Because #richpeoplecarsonly and #onlypoorpeopledriveold911sbro.

Quick Reply: New 911 Carrera T: a completely pointless marketing exercise