Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 911 Carrera T: a completely pointless marketing exercise

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2017, 11:24 PM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Argon_
Some people still have a hard time seeing these fantastic cars, as cars. They aren't meant to be stocks that you can turn over for a profit. These machines are meant to be driven.

It's about time that finally sinks in.
It's the only argument they have left.

'Our cars must be better! Look at the prices! Yeah, that's it. We have the better car.'

The 911 T is about a driver's 911. Some people don't remember what driving one the way it was designed to be driven is like.
Old 10-24-2017, 11:26 PM
K-A
Drifting

Received 136 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Argon_
Some people still have a hard time seeing these fantastic cars, as cars. They aren't meant to be stocks that you can turn over for a profit. These machines are meant to be driven.

It's about time that finally sinks in.
Tell that to 993 owners. Or any air cooled owners. Or GT3, GT4, R owners. Or owners who bought .1’s a year or two ago and are sitting on profit while most cars in their price range lost over $20K.

You don’t even need a car to appreciate. Two cars may depreciate, but if one depreciates $20K more, then the other just made a relative of profit.

But yes, by no means should that affect how one drives their car. Even well worn, high mileage 993’s are soaring in value. Drive your cars, hard. But if you can get one that moves you AND saves you money in the long run, that’s a winning potion.

Personally, I think 991.1’s are destined to appreciate in the future. At worst, depreciate vastly less than 911’s after and directly before it. But that doesn’t mean stick one in a garage and don’t drive it like it was intended to be driven. Nor does it mean to buy one as an investment.

I also think the 911 Carrera T will do the exact same thing, thanks to being a limited edition.
Old 10-24-2017, 11:34 PM
K-A
Drifting

Originally Posted by sticky
Those heavier and softer .1's with worse handling and less torque are a more visceral driving experience? Uh, the 911 T is the way to go for the driving experience.

That is all having an NA Carrera is. A novelty. A meaningless platitude.

I hear a lot of people are moving to the 991.1 retirement plan. Who needs bitcoin when there are 991.1's out there? Not only do you have no idea what will happen to the value it changes nothing regarding performance.

It's pretty quick for stock running 11's at 118 with 'only' 370 hp. I dyno tested it showing it is underrated but who cares it's not stock anyway.

I also have other cars that will spank whatever you own. I just don't need another car in your instance as my 991.2 is more than enough for your S L O W and old 911.

Welcome to turbocharged 911 performance. Now let the people who can afford the 911 T talk about it.
LMAO. 118? You mean about what a 991.1 S traps at? Or a mere 4-5 MPH more than a 991.1 base? All that sh*t talking and that’s all you got, sticky370?

And yes, the N/A Carreras are certainly more visceral. You may be the only person who hasn’t admitted that (shocking). A guy here just traded his .2 S (not base) for a .1 S because he missed the viscerality and sound of his .1 Base so much. .2’s are more refined, faster, muted and meeker in sound, many will say less engaging. But fundamentally superior nonetheless (as it better be).

The .2 is really an excellent car. One of its owners, notwithstanding.
Old 10-24-2017, 11:39 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by K-A
LMAO. 118? You mean about what a 991.1 S traps at? Or a mere 4-5 MPH more than a 991.1 base? All that sh*t talking and that’s all you got, sticky370?

And yes, the N/A Carreras are certainly more visceral. You may be the only person who hasn’t admitted that (shocking). A guy here just traded his .2 S (not base) for a .1 S because he missed the viscerality and sound of his .1 Base so much. .2’s are more refined, faster, muted and meeker in sound, many will say less engaging. But fundamentally superior nonetheless (as it better be).

The .2 is really an excellent car. One of its owners, notwithstanding.
LMAO:

Originally Posted by Car and Driver
The last naturally aspirated 911 PDK we strapped our test gear to was a 2015 GTS, which hit 60 mph in 3.6 seconds and ran the quarter in 11.9 seconds at 118 mph. The 2017 Carrera beats its zero-to-60-mph time by 0.2 second and matches its quarter-mile performance exactly.
The base is quicker than the 991.1 GTS now. LOL.

I've easily smoked every single 991.1 S I've run. Oh, and I have much more power on tap. As do 991.2 S owners. As do 991.2 GTS owners.

What do 991.1 owners have on tap regarding performance? Nothing. Just whining like babies on forums.

No, the NA cars aren't more visceral because you say so. Some perceived engine noise doesn't make the steering or handling better. It certainly doesn't remove sound deadening.

I couldn't care less what some guy traded his car for. His decision. He never drove a 911 T though. Which is the best driver's Carrera produced in the entire 991 production history.
Old 10-24-2017, 11:45 PM
K-A
Drifting

LMAO:

The base is quicker than the 991.1 GTS now. LOL.

I've easily smoked every single 991.1 S I've run. Oh, and I have much more power on tap. As do 991.2 S owners. As do 991.2 GTS owners.

What do 991.1 owners have on tap regarding performance? Nothing. Just whining like babies on forums.

No, the NA cars aren't more visceral because you say so. Some perceived engine noise doesn't make the steering or handling better. It certainly doesn't remove sound deadening.

I couldn't care less what some guy traded his car for. His decision. He never drove a 911 T though. Which is the best driver's Carrera produced in the entire 991 production history.
TORK BRO. NO. Just stop. 4 MPH in the 1/4 doesn’t authorize you self righteousness to claim .1 Bases are Dodge Caravan slow. Unless you think your car is merely Ford Windstar fast.

These aren’t different realms, at all. And I’m sure most of those .1’s you raced weren’t playing along. I don’t whenever some dude working with a toothpick in his pants tries to race me on public roads.

I agree on one thing; the Carrera T is hot.
Old 10-24-2017, 11:51 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by K-A
TORK BRO. NO. Just stop. 4 MPH in the 1/4 doesn’t authorize you self righteousness to claim .1 Bases are Dodge Caravan slow. Unless you think your car is merely Ford Windstar fast.

These aren’t different realms, at all. And I’m sure most of those .1’s you raced weren’t playing along. I don’t whenever some dude working with a toothpick in his pants tries to race me on public roads.

I agree on one thing; the Carrera T is hot.
I'm not making a claim based on trap speeds. The 911 T is about the driving experience.

Either way, the 991.2 range can better cater to those interested in performance as well as lighter and more focused enthusiast 911's than the 991.1 range.

I'm sure when the 991.1 owner rolls down his window to ask if it's an S he was playing.

Plus the 991.2 GT3 comes in more flavors with more transmission options doesn't it? So why aren't you in one or the rest of you people clamoring for a car Porsche already sells?
Old 10-24-2017, 11:52 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,871 Likes on 1,902 Posts

What benefit is there to deluding yourself that your purchase is not outdated and still somehow relevant in the modern Porsche climate?

Hmm, I wonder.

Either way, this thread isn't about 991.1 delusions of grandeur.
My friend, I think you have mental problems. Nothing you just said makes any sense relative to my posts.

Hands down the .2 is a faster, better performing car, both in base and S form. That was obvious to me when I test drove them and I've never said anything to the contrary. Not even a debate IMO. But, IMO, they sound awful, at least in farty sport exhaust trim, and the VW tail pipes and bumper vents look goofy to me. To each his own.

Oh and the idea that a car half a generation back is 'not relevant'...seriously, you've got issues. Shiny penny syndrome. I imagine you'll trade in for the 992 as soon as it's released.
Old 10-24-2017, 11:56 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Archimedes
My friend, I think you have mental problems. Nothing you just said makes any sense relative to my posts.

Hands down the .2 is a faster, better performing car, both in base and S form. That was obvious to me when I test drove them and I've never said anything to the contrary. Not even a debate IMO. But, IMO, they sound awful, at least in farty sport exhaust trim, and the VW tail pipes and bumper vents look goofy to me. To each his own.

Oh and the idea that a car half a generation back is 'not relevant'...seriously, you've got issues. Shiny penny syndrome. I imagine you'll trade in for the 992 as soon as it's released.
I think you have a 991.2 problem.

It is absolutely relevant that the 991.1 is a half generation back as it is was only an incremental increase on the 997 to begin with.

The 991.2 is a far greater change which is why we are all blessed with your hissy fits.
Old 10-24-2017, 11:59 PM
K-A
Drifting

Originally Posted by Archimedes

First time I heard a .2 the guy was flooring it at every stop light, and “farty” is the exact same description I had (tailpipes look terrible to me as well). Sounded like a characterless fart can with a vaccuum cleaner on top. And that’s not even hyperbole. I was shocked. Had to go check them out at the dealer in the following days to see if it was an anomaly (it wasn’t).

Considering his “you wanna race bro” stop light prowess, I’d say that it was sticky. But this one was a 4S. Sticky’s is the monstrous 370 HP base.
Old 10-25-2017, 12:02 AM
Bemo
Drifting

Received 260 Likes on 171 Posts

Not buying...
I’ll lose 11lbs of weight, keep the radio and the large displacement NA.
Not a fan of this turbo motor, sorry. It pulls but it lacks in the sound department. Speed and torque are great for 5 min until the lifeless, clinical experience is realised, the keys returned and a 991.1GTS purchased. Ask me how I know.
Will take a look at the 992 in case Porsche gets it right. Until then, au revoir 991.2, in fact good riddance!
Happy for those who enjoy the .2 and/or this new T(rim).
Old 10-25-2017, 12:07 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by K-A
First time I heard a .2 the guy was flooring it at every stop light, and “farty” is the exact same description I had (tailpipes look terrible to me as well). Sounded like a characterless fart can with a vaccuum cleaner on top. And that’s not even hyperbole. I was shocked. Had to go check them out at the dealer in the following days to see if it was an anomaly (it wasn’t).

Considering his “you wanna race bro” stop light prowess, I’d say that it was sticky. But this one was a 4S. Sticky’s is the monstrous 370 HP base.
I bet your jaw didn't drop as far as mine did when a guy tried to show me what his 991.1 Carrera could do. I kind of felt sorry for him and Porsche as a whole that this is what they put out with the Porsche name on it.

The base motor seems to be good enough for the 911 T as odd as that is. I wonder why? Plus plenty more on tap anyway. The base is a monster because the S, GTS, T, and Carrera all share the motor.

You know what shares the 3.8? A Cayman. That is the high esteem Porsche views it in.
Old 10-25-2017, 12:08 AM
K-A
Drifting

I bet your jaw didn't drop as far as mine did when a guy tried to show me what his 991.1 Carrera could do. I kind of felt sorry for him and Porsche as a whole that this is what they put out with the Porsche name on it.

The base motor seems to be good enough for the 911 T as odd as that is. I wonder why? Plus plenty more on tap anyway. The base is a monster because the S, GTS, T, and Carrera all share the motor.

You know what shares the 3.8? A Cayman. That is the high esteem Porsche views it in.
LMAO. Dude, you’re deluded. Chill, Vin Diesel, it’s just car talk. Then maybe edit your posts so you can perhaps convey some semblance of sanity.
Old 10-25-2017, 12:09 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Bemo
Not buying...
I’ll lose 11lbs of weight, keep the radio and the large displacement NA.
Not a fan of this turbo motor, sorry. It pulls but it lacks in the sound department. Speed and torque are great for 5 min until the lifeless, clinical experience is realised, the keys returned and a 991.1GTS purchased. Ask me how I know.
Will take a look at the 992 in case Porsche gets it right. Until then, au revoir 991.2, in fact good riddance!
Happy for those who enjoy the .2 and/or this new T(rim).
Well everyone cancel your 911 T orders as Bemo weighed in that he is keeping his 991.1. What a shocker!

Kind of odd how an extra decibel somehow makes the 991.1 full of life but the 991.2 clinical and lifeless. LOL are you serious with this drivel?

I remember the run on standard Carreras after GT2 and Turbo owners realized how lifeless and clinical their cars were
Old 10-25-2017, 12:10 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by K-A
LMAO. Dude, you’re deluded. Chill, it’s just car talk. Then maybe edit your posts so you can perhaps convey some semblance of sanity.
I don't think anyone is going to get any sanity from 991.1 owners deluding themselves in yet another 991.2 thread.

It's probably time to separate the forum as the same exact 991.1 humping guys are making it useless to discuss any 991.2 topic.
Old 10-25-2017, 12:15 AM
K-A
Drifting

Well everyone cancel your 911 T orders as Bemo weighed in that he is keeping his 991.1. What a shocker!

Kind of odd how an extra decibel somehow makes the 991.1 full of life but the 991.2 clinical and lifeless. LOL are you serious with this drivel?

I remember the run on standard Carreras after GT2 and Turbo owners realized how lifeless and clinical their cars were
Did you just compare your 3.0 370 to a Turbo and GT2?

But since you asked, yes, the Turbo is often said to be more clinical compared to a .1 GTS or naturally aspirated GT3 or R, even with its massive power advantage. It also doesn’t sound as good as an N/A imo, and that’s with a 3.8.

And you really think decibels alone determine what makes for a more visceral and soulful sound?

Oh, sticky.

Quick Reply: New 911 Carrera T: a completely pointless marketing exercise