Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 911 Carrera T: a completely pointless marketing exercise

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2017, 08:39 PM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 911boy
..........but its only 20 pounds (case of beer) lighter and has no radio. ..............
Kind of cool but I don't get it. Great for track guys I guess. I wonder how they will sell.
It's 44 pounds over a comparably equipped car meaning with PCCB's and LWB's it is even lighter.

I don't know if you look at independent weight tests but RWD 911's tend to be in the 33XX range equipped. This is going to be in the 31XX range.

You can add the PCM back in if you want.
Old 10-24-2017, 08:40 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Dewinator
Yeah doesn’t make sense to me. Track guys will probably be getting S or GTS at least if not GT3. Lots of guys want the no radio/less sound deadening car to listen to the engine on back roads where it’s more about the experience than speed, but those guys want the NA engine.
Why? When this is the perfect track tool? I'd chose this over the S or GTS. The only thing the S or GTS offer is more power and more weight plus the GTS wider body produces more drag. The power aspect is easily rectified as it is the SAME ENGINE.
Old 10-24-2017, 08:42 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Archimedes
I'm so glad there are all those YouTube videos out there of the turbo cars. That sound is the car shopping equivalent of birth control. God that GTS sounds so bad going by the camera on track.
Is this seriously all you guys have? It's the same people you can count on one hand constantly barking this same nonsense.

You're never even going to be close enough in your old 991.1 to hear this car on the track.

The engine sounds awesome. It's only the people who don't have one and can't afford to move into one that try to delude themselves otherwise. Superb note:

View this post on Instagram
Old 10-24-2017, 09:21 PM
K-A
Drifting

Received 137 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by sticky
Is this seriously all you guys have? It's the same people you can count on one hand constantly barking this same nonsense.

You're never even going to be close enough in your old 991.1 to hear this car on the track.

The engine sounds awesome. It's only the people who don't have one and can't afford to move into one that try to delude themselves otherwise. Superb note:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BaXEDNlA44l/
Lmao. Those poverty 991.1’s you speak of are selling for more than your base .2 will on the used market. And the .2 is the first new 911 that sold less than the outgoing model. Lots of people outside your whoosh bubble with reasons for that.

And if you think a .2 sounds “awesome,” I doubt you’ve driven a .1. Most of us won’t drive our own cars on a track, but we get the effects of that soundtrack slung behind the rear axle 100% of the time.

#YourCarIsNotA918 #370HPIsLessThanAMustang
Old 10-24-2017, 09:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by K-A
Lmao. Those poverty 991.1’s you speak of are selling for more than your base .2 will on the used market. And the .2 is the first new 911 that sold less than the outgoing model. Lots of people outside your whoosh bubble with reasons for that.

And if you think a .2 sounds “awesome,” I doubt you’ve driven a .1. Most of us won’t drive our own cars on a track, but we get the effects of that soundtrack slung behind the rear axle 100% of the time.

#YourCarIsNotA918 #370HPIsLessThanAMustang
That's great. You sit there and talk about perceived values while others drive their cars.

The only sound I'm hearing coming from any 991.1 is butthurt.

This is a new 991.2. If you want to pat yourself on the back over your exhaust note you have a ton of other threads to do it in. Hell, record it and make it your ringtone. Add it to your playlist.

A new light and driver's focused 911 comes out and the insecurity plays out as it always does from the same people it always does.

Oh, and the 911 sure does a lot with its '370' hp like outrun the GT350 for example. Weird. An even lighter version will be even quicker.

#YourCarIsNotAGT3
Old 10-24-2017, 09:35 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,873 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Settle down Francis, it was just a passing comment. The .2s are awesome cars. But sound awesome, they do not. Not trying to start the stupid flame war about the cars. Just pointing out that the car in that video sounds horrible.

Nobody's butthurt and, trust me, I'd have no trouble affording one if I wanted one. I'm currently begging for a GT3 allocation.
Old 10-24-2017, 09:37 PM
Banned

Settle down Francis, it was just a passing comment. The .2s are awesome cars. But sound awesome, they do not. Not trying to start the stupid flame war about the cars. Just pointing out that the car in that video sounds horrible.

Nobody's butthurt and, trust me, I'd have no trouble affording one if I wanted one. I'm currently begging for a GT3 allocation.
They sound great it's just you wanting to believe they do not that is the issue, not the engine note. I don't blame you want to convince yourself there is some reason the 991.1 is still relevant.

I disagree and think it sounds awesome. I probably also have a bit more seat time with one.
Old 10-24-2017, 09:40 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,873 Likes on 1,903 Posts

They sound great it's just you wanting to believe they do not that is the issue, no the engine note.
Why on earth would I 'want to believe' that they sound like crap?! I mostly love the car otherwise and if it sounded great I might even own one right now. Why would I lie about how I feel about the sound of the .2? What's your logic? What benefit do I get from making believe that I don't like the sound of these cars?
Old 10-24-2017, 09:41 PM
mikeearly
Pro

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

all I've got to say is that if I managed to win a new "T" in the PCA auction this fall it AIN"T going back marketing exercise or not!!
Old 10-24-2017, 09:45 PM
K-A
Drifting

Received 137 Likes on 95 Posts

That's great. You sit there and talk about perceived values while others drive their cars.

The only sound I'm hearing coming from any 991.1 is butthurt.

This is a new 991.2. If you want to pat yourself on the back over your exhaust note you have a ton of other threads to do it in. Hell, record it and make it your ringtone. Add it to your playlist.

A new light and driver's focused 911 comes out and the insecurity plays out as it always does from the same people it always does.

Oh, and the 911 sure does a lot with its '370' hp like outrun the GT350 for example. Weird. An even lighter version will be even quicker.

#YourCarIsNotAGT3
Right on bro. Tell those .1ers. They don’t even TORK BRO!

I actually dig this Carrera T. It’ll unlock some viscerality missing from the 3.0 .2’s. But it’s hard to pass off as a true purist model with turbos whistling along, sucking the sound and emotion out. Like it or not, if Porsche wants to pass a car off as a true pleasure seeker (which this is, this isn’t a track intended GT car) and push the “purist” angle, their success with N/A models dominating this emoticons field will always follow them.
Old 10-24-2017, 09:48 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Settle down Francis, it was just a passing comment.
Sticky is a chick?
Old 10-24-2017, 09:49 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by K-A
Right on bro. Tell those .1ers. They don’t even TORK BRO!

I actually dig this Carrera T. It’ll unlock some viscerality missing from the 3.0 .2’s. But it’s hard to pass off as a true purist model with turbos whistling along, sucking the sound and emotion out. Like it or not, if Porsche wants to pass a car off as a true pleasure seeker (which this is, this isn’t a track intended GT car) and push the “purist” angle, their success with N/A models dominating this emoticons field will always follow them.
Yeah all those non-enthusiast and non-emotional GT2 models over the years really support your argument.

This echo chamber of NA nonsense is to the point of ignoring Porsche's own history with enthusiast turbo models.
Old 10-24-2017, 09:50 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,852 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Wow... This thread devolved quickly.

I love the potential of the 991.2 3.0 turbos, including the base.

Perfect build for me? A low option 991T with full buckets, manual transmission, rear-axle steering, sport chrono. But the cherry would be for Porsche to allow installation of the ~$5.7K (suncoast price) X51 991.2 powerkit turbos and software to give it 450HP.

THAT would kick ***.

Last edited by pfbz; 10-24-2017 at 10:14 PM.
Old 10-24-2017, 09:51 PM
Banned

Why on earth would I 'want to believe' that they sound like crap?! I mostly love the car otherwise and if it sounded great I might even own one right now. Why would I lie about how I feel about the sound of the .2? What's your logic? What benefit do I get from making believe that I don't like the sound of these cars?
What benefit is there to deluding yourself that your purchase is not outdated and still somehow relevant in the modern Porsche climate?

Hmm, I wonder.

Either way, this thread isn't about 991.1 delusions of grandeur.
Old 10-24-2017, 09:52 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by pfbz
Wow... This thread devolved quickly.

I love the potential of the 991.2 3.0 base motor.

Perfect build for me?A low option 991T with full buckets, manual transmission, rear-axle steering, sport chrono, and for Porsche to allow installation of the ~$5.7K (suncoast price) X51 991.2 powerkit turbos and software to give it 430HP.

THAT would kick ***...
Another person who gets it and isn't living in the past.

It's 450 hp with the GTS kit (with stock software) and testing on a base WITH THIS KIT is currently taking place

No word yet on if the owner intends to trade it in for a 991.1 3.4 because he likes the sound of beehives over the feel of horsepower.

Quick Reply: New 911 Carrera T: a completely pointless marketing exercise