Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 911 Carrera T: a completely pointless marketing exercise

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2017, 12:22 PM
rkwfxd
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

I like it, kind of a Poorman's R but I think it should be priced right between Base and S with a 10 Hp bump over base.

So.... having said that. My 16 Base is off of lease this January and the purchase price is right around $67,000. Turn it in and lease/buy at new T or buy it and use the $36,000 + in savings to install the shorter gears, shorter final drive, LSD and shift lever from the T into my N/A 16 along with say KW suspension and an auto-blip box.

That could be a fun car.
Old 10-23-2017, 12:30 PM
SKY57
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, must be a big deal for people who:
- Only need a base Carrera
- Must have the RWS (Not available on C2 in Canada)
- Must have the LWB (Not available on C2 in Canada)
- Can't lose weight themselves.........................................
Old 10-23-2017, 12:31 PM
Diablo Dude
Race Car

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,245 Posts

Can't wait to see what the gear ratios will be in the T.
Old 10-23-2017, 12:36 PM
Diablo Dude
Race Car

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,245 Posts

Originally Posted by Selo
Bingo. I'm on the list for a GT3 manual, but all the time I'm thinking where do I use this screamer motor without going to jail, and omg, what happens to resale value with miles and a scratch? This car will be a fun addition yo a 981 Spyder, allowing a 911 rear motor experience in a package that arguably feels closer to the 911s of yesteryear. With RWS and LWBs, I think Porsche is showing they actually learned a lesson from the GT4 experiment: HP and track times aren't the most important things to many Porsche buyers, it's involvement and emotion we're looking for. I wonder what AP will have to say about this car. But if he says it's fun, one word of advice: go buy one.

You make some great points!
Old 10-23-2017, 12:37 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
If you have to ask why I can not explain it to you. The reason is obvious.
So it's heavier than a 991.1 without the engine people want in the heavier 991.2 configuration and although it is heavier it is marketed as a lightweight version without the infotainment that was part of the differentiation of the new car.... So new car was marketed as new infotainment and new engine. Mr. "T" is marketed without one and everyone wants a different engine... essentially negating any reason to buy any #2 car.

I Pity da fool... any fool that thinks this is appealing.
Old 10-23-2017, 12:38 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Originally Posted by awrryan
the Naturally aspirated 4-cylinder 911 would have been the last of the real Carreras as oppose to a turbocharged 4-cylinder Carrera.
ouch, haha. But the last real Porsche was a 356
Old 10-23-2017, 12:41 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Originally Posted by Izzone

driving a race car is not about sound its about feel and speed around the track. The 991.2 turbo motor is much better than any other non GT motor produced. The 991.1 motor needs to be wound up to get on power....991.2 does not. Its just that much better
Here's the thing though - It's not a race car... It is a sportscar and sports cars are about fun driving and not maximum lap times.

If you're in the right gear with the 3.8 then it's no work and it's not like you have to start from a dead stop from P and zero RPM out of every corner. How much work do you guys think it is to keep the car in the right gear?
Old 10-23-2017, 01:05 PM
phow
Pro

Received 234 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by Selo
Bingo. I'm on the list for a GT3 manual, but all the time I'm thinking where do I use this screamer motor without going to jail, and omg, what happens to resale value with miles and a scratch? This car will be a fun addition yo a 981 Spyder, allowing a 911 rear motor experience in a package that arguably feels closer to the 911s of yesteryear. With RWS and LWBs, I think Porsche is showing they actually learned a lesson from the GT4 experiment: HP and track times aren't the most important things to many Porsche buyers, it's involvement and emotion we're looking for. I wonder what AP will have to say about this car. But if he says it's fun, one word of advice: go buy one.
^ I agree.

I love my S but I have been getting the itch to buy a GT3 lately (weekend toy that would be in addition to the S). But I have no where I can really use the car, the way it was meant to be used, without ending up in jail and/or losing my license.

The GT3T is interesting because the added involvement of the manual trans means you probably won't have to redline it to get a lot of enjoyment out of the car on the street. But let's be realistic, I and many others won't be in a position to buy a Touring Package for awhile. So that means .1 or .2 GT3 in PDK. Nothing wrong with PDK (my S is PDK). But PDK really shines when you are trying to go as fast as possible.

So while I have my initial concerns about the Carrera T, it's nice to see Porsche is trying to create some driver focused packages. Now would I have rather seen a 3.8 NA 400-425hp dropped in it? For sure! But that's just not going to happen moving forward in the Carrera line.
Old 10-23-2017, 01:16 PM
Argon_
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

It has lighter glass in the rear and side windows, cloth loops for door pulls inside, Sport-Tex seats, and less sound insulation. Unlike the regular Carrera, the T has PASM and can be optioned with rear-wheel steering. And if you option the full bucket seats (which you definitely should) then the rear seats are deleted to save even more weight.

The bolded part is what I find most important. Being able to actually hear the car.

I'm all in favor of this new machine.
Old 10-23-2017, 01:19 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,599 Likes on 2,341 Posts

Originally Posted by phow
^ I agree.

I love my S but I have been getting the itch to buy a GT3 lately (weekend toy that would be in addition to the S). But I have no where I can really use the car, the way it was meant to be used, without ending up in jail and/or losing my license.

The GT3T is interesting because the added involvement of the manual trans means you probably won't have to redline it to get a lot of enjoyment out of the car on the street. But let's be realistic, I and many others won't be in a position to buy a Touring Package for awhile. So that means .1 or .2 GT3 in PDK. Nothing wrong with PDK (my S is PDK). But PDK really shines when you are trying to go as fast as possible.

So while I have my initial concerns about the Carrera T, it's nice to see Porsche is trying to create some driver focused packages. Now would I have rather seen a 3.8 NA 400-425hp dropped in it? For sure! But that's just not going to happen moving forward in the Carrera line.
just to be clear the GT3 is available with the manual, you dont have to neuter its wing with the Touring in order to get the 6sp.
Old 10-23-2017, 01:23 PM
phow
Pro

Received 234 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
just to be clear the GT3 is available with the manual, you dont have to neuter its wing with the Touring in order to get the 6sp.
Good point! I should have qualified that statement with the fact that I'm looking at a GT3 purchase without an allocation. So I would be purchasing second hand. My educated guess is that most .2 GT3's will be PDK unless they are the Touring Package.
Old 10-23-2017, 01:26 PM
brownan
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 102 Posts

Man, they are whoring out the old nomenclatures double time these days.

Car looks nice but is pointless. My personal view is that a club sport stye would be cool if it ticked the following boxes:

- base car
- no PASM
- no nonsense like RWS, active steering, etc. Only acronym allowed is ABS and PASM
- no sunroof
- manual sporty chairs but not the carbon buckets for $$$...more like a heavily bolstered fabric chair like on RS America
- reduction of sound deadening material
- basic radio, basic HVAC w/o dual zone
- basic door cards
- base headlamps, no washers
- optional lightweight forged wheel
- fixed wing element but different than GT wings
- weighs 2850#
- costs $100k
- most people will hopefully hate it
- comes in white, red, black. Optional colors silver and dark blue.
Old 10-23-2017, 01:26 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by phow
Good point! I should have qualified that statement with the fact that I'm looking at a GT3 purchase without an allocation. So I would be purchasing second hand. My educated guess is that most .2 GT3's will be PDK unless they are the Touring Package.
I think you'd be surprised, I believe figures from Porsche have been quoted at around 20-30% being manuals ...

you can always buy mine when I'm done with it!
Old 10-23-2017, 01:29 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

This car seems to be to be a "GTS for the base Carrera" ... another parts bin special ...

funny talking with my SA, they are very frustrated with the current model range, with only a relatively small # of allocations available to them yearly, they have to dilute their stock with a
spread of models, many of which languish unsold for months on end, and other models (like the
GT3) they cannot get enough of to sell...

I wonder how this new additional will fair?

its definitely a yawn-fest for me.
Old 10-23-2017, 01:44 PM
Argon_
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by brownan
Man, they are whoring out the old nomenclatures double time these days.

Car looks nice but is pointless. My personal view is that a club sport stye would be cool if it ticked the following boxes:

- base car
- no PASM
- no nonsense like RWS, active steering, etc. Only acronym allowed is ABS and PASM
- no sunroof
- manual sporty chairs but not the carbon buckets for $$$...more like a heavily bolstered fabric chair like on RS America
- reduction of sound deadening material
- basic radio, basic HVAC w/o dual zone
- basic door cards
- base headlamps, no washers
- optional lightweight forged wheel
- fixed wing element but different than GT wings
- weighs 2850#
- costs $100k
- most people will hopefully hate it
- comes in white, red, black. Optional colors silver and dark blue.
Oh that would be glorious.

Shame it is 99.5% likely not to ever happen.

Quick Reply: New 911 Carrera T: a completely pointless marketing exercise