Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 911 Carrera T: a completely pointless marketing exercise

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2017, 02:04 PM
hsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Love this car. I think its a great package for someone wanting a lower weight 911 without tons of options.
Old 10-24-2017, 02:18 PM
K-A
Drifting

Received 136 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by R_Rated
Not sure you can read and comprehend.... I never said anything about the performance. I'm looking for fun and an experience.

You sure do talk a lot of **** for someone with a base car.... Sooooo much propaganda around what your car could be with mods. I like modding as much as anyone but lets stay focused when we discuss Porsche offerings. With enough money I can mod a 914 to race faster than you from stop light to stop light.... Comparing modded cars is a fools errand. What if I add a tune - what if I add a tune and a sticker - I'll race you NOS.... etc
It’s always guys with the lowest entries that use them as the biggest d*ck extenders. I’m sure he hugs those sexy 911 hips every night while drooling at the whooping 20 extra peak HP he gets out of those sterilized vacuum “whooshes.”

Oh.... right, but that TORK BRO! Camaro SS owners finally feel envy.
Old 10-24-2017, 03:28 PM
crossroads
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Well, since this conversation has become a turbo vs non-turbo debate, I must say some of my favorite Porsche engines have been turbos. The turbocharged engines in the 917, 962, 930, 911 GT1 are legendary.

I once witnessed an ex-Mark Donohue 917-30 Can Am Spyder start up, or more appropriately roar to life. Holy crap. That was a spiritual expeience that I will never forget. The poor guys who were directly behind it are probably still deaf.

So for me, I like to think some of that DNA has made it into the "poor" 3.0 liter turbo. I think it's a fantastic engine and the 911T may even sway me over from the new Boxster Spyder, even if it has a N/A engine.
Old 10-24-2017, 03:42 PM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by hsmith
Love this car. I think its a great package for someone wanting a lower weight 911 without tons of options.
..........but its only 20 pounds (case of beer) lighter and has no radio. ..............
Kind of cool but I don't get it. Great for track guys I guess. I wonder how they will sell.
Old 10-24-2017, 04:28 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by 911boy
..........but its only 20 pounds (case of beer) lighter and has no radio. ..............
Kind of cool but I don't get it. Great for track guys I guess. I wonder how they will sell.
Yeah doesn’t make sense to me. Track guys will probably be getting S or GTS at least if not GT3. Lots of guys want the no radio/less sound deadening car to listen to the engine on back roads where it’s more about the experience than speed, but those guys want the NA engine.
Old 10-24-2017, 04:40 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 319 Likes on 193 Posts
Default 911 "__"

This is a hint of what could be.

How long before before a configurator that that starts with a body shell in white, and an endless huge list of components from which one can build exactly just want one wants.

Ok, it could offer some preconfigured models with baseline themes, and packages that go all the way up to preconfigured full theme cars with options, like today.

And it could use inventory and AI to offer sales on components starting a couple of years before new models arrive, you know, GTSs.

The assembly line would then be a simple matter of programming from the order. The corporation is very good with software.
Old 10-24-2017, 04:50 PM
laranja
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Hmm - PCM delete? I thought that was not possible in MY18+ because of US regulations on rear-view cameras.

So will PCM delete be available in GT cars going forward?
Old 10-24-2017, 06:13 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

Radio Delete is available on 991.2 GT3 through May builds. It is available ROW, indeed the default in ROW on 911T, but is not on the configurator now for the 911T (of course it was not on the configurator originally on a GT3 991.2 either).

If you really want it and it is not an option, I will trade you the shelf ($115 from suncoast) and the cost of the reflash for all the removed components to have spares for my incoming car.
Old 10-24-2017, 06:15 PM
phx991
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 911boy
44 lbs, and I added Bose on the configurator.

Last edited by phx991; 10-24-2017 at 07:15 PM.
Old 10-24-2017, 06:16 PM
Jerry991
Pro

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

A friend's 2014 Turbo S was totaled when someone made a left turn in front of him when he was doing 60 MPH. He decided to order a new one and he will be getting delivery in May. I understand that 911s in general are in short supply so why are they coming out with a new variation - it makes no sense to me and will just get more people pissed off when they want to order a car and will have to wait even longer. Do they really believe that bringing out the T will bring out additional buyers who would not otherwise have bought a car?
Old 10-24-2017, 06:40 PM
Gordon Shumway
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by sticky
Is anyone else absolutely seething over this 911 T? I need to figure out how to get rid of my Carrera now and get into one of these.

If anyone should be seething about this, it is probably GTS buyers in the U.S. Apparently the LWB seats, and back seat delete have been available in Europe, but not the U.S for the GTS. And now the 911T has that available at a lower price point.

Old 10-24-2017, 06:43 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,871 Likes on 1,902 Posts

I'm so glad there are all those YouTube videos out there of the turbo cars. That sound is the car shopping equivalent of birth control. God that GTS sounds so bad going by the camera on track.
Old 10-24-2017, 07:34 PM
Argon_
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
This is a hint of what could be.

How long before before a configurator that that starts with a body shell in white, and an endless huge list of components from which one can build exactly just want one wants.

Ok, it could offer some preconfigured models with baseline themes, and packages that go all the way up to preconfigured full theme cars with options, like today.

And it could use inventory and AI to offer sales on components starting a couple of years before new models arrive, you know, GTSs.

The assembly line would then be a simple matter of programming from the order. The corporation is very good with software.
I don't think that this'll happen soon, but ti's absolutely possible.

This would allow freaks like me to order a car with NO sound deadening, just the thinnest possible layer of thermal insulation.

I'm all in favor!
Old 10-24-2017, 07:50 PM
Riz
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

It is definitely a step in the right direction with this version. I would love to see a 912 with the turbo flat 4 from the Cayman GTS. That would be great if they can drop another 100 kg of weight, price it around $85K base. The ingredients are already available.
Old 10-24-2017, 08:33 PM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by R_Rated
Not sure you can read and comprehend.... I never said anything about the performance. I'm looking for fun and an experience.

You sure do talk a lot of **** for someone with a base car.... Sooooo much propaganda around what your car could be with mods. I like modding as much as anyone but lets stay focused when we discuss Porsche offerings. With enough money I can mod a 914 to race faster than you from stop light to stop light.... Comparing modded cars is a fools errand. What if I add a tune - what if I add a tune and a sticker - I'll race you NOS.... etc
Cool story bro. The thing is we're talking about the actual 911 in 2017 with the actual 9A2B6 engine shared among the Carrera, S, GTS, and now T. You know, reality?

Plenty quick stock but also plenty left on tap as Porsche themselves shows you. It's not a fools errand to point this out. Some people like the idea of the engine growing with you and not being stuck with something like a heavy/slow outdated NA cab.

The funny thing is if you're truly into a fun driving experience the 911 T which is based on the base car is the best choice.

Yes, you said you thought about going to the 3.4 as quoted and referenced so you're the one grasping at straws LMAO.

Quick Reply: New 911 Carrera T: a completely pointless marketing exercise