Sponsored by:

New 911 Carrera T: a completely pointless marketing exercise

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2017 | 03:22 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by A/S
with all the lightweight options, a manual transmission, it is a great Touring car, lighter than a GT3/GT3RS and without the waiting list drama. The base engine has enough torque for fun drives.
GT3 is lighter. 3116lbs v. 3142lbs. Porsche does not consider a GT3 a 911 hence the T is the lightest 911.

Peak Torque is the same (or near as makes no difference) base to GT3.

Think of it as a $40k off (and no ADM) GT3 with the rev limiter set lower ....
Old 10-24-2017 | 04:25 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by evilfij
GT3 is lighter. 3116lbs v. 3142lbs. Porsche does not consider a GT3 a 911 hence the T is the lightest 911.

Nailed it but that torque peak comes a lot earlier and another 100 lb-ft is just a tune away...
Old 10-24-2017 | 05:22 AM
A/S
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by evilfij

Good point, the new GT3 manual saved some weight (37 lbs), but rear seats are already deleted in the GT3.

The T only saves 11 lbs from the regular Carrera, mostly radio-delete, thinner rear glass and some sound insulation to give it more character. But once you opt for the Carbon seats (forces no rear seats as the buckets don't recline), that's 75-80 lbs of weight reduced, and PCCB another 42 lbs. Normally GT car weights are with the lightweight options, while all other Porsches use the standard weight (not the light spec weight).

The T may be the lightest 911 sold in U.S. since the 964, with the exception being the 997.2 GT3 RS 4.0 with all the lightweight options.
Old 10-24-2017 | 05:43 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by A/S
Good point, the new GT3 manual saved some weight (37 lbs), but rear seats are already deleted in the GT3.

The T only saves 11 lbs from the regular Carrera, mostly radio-delete, thinner rear glass and some sound insulation to give it more character. But once you opt for the Carbon seats (forces no rear seats as the buckets don't recline), that's 75-80 lbs of weight reduced, and PCCB another 42 lbs. Normally GT car weights are with the lightweight options, while all other Porsches use the standard weight (not the light spec weight).

The T may be the lightest 911 sold in U.S. since the 964, with the exception being the 997.2 GT3 RS 4.0 with all the lightweight options.
Porsche quotes 20 kg so 44 pounds. I'd bet it is over 150 pounds lighter than my 991.2 with a sunroof.

Another way to look at it is it is 500 pounds lighter than a Targa.

Edit: is that right that the PCCB saves 42 pounds over the steels?

Last edited by sticky; 10-24-2017 at 06:17 AM.
Old 10-24-2017 | 06:48 AM
Selo
Rennlist Member

1. Is it confirmed that the 918 owners get first choice? I called my dealer immediately yesterday morning, and he knew nothing about the car. So he created a list and confirmed that I'm #1. Chances are good that I'll get one, I'd think. But with Porsche, who knows.
2. Only thing I'm not sure about aesthetically is sport tex seats. On configurator, when you spec the T interior in either red, yellow, or silver, the seats have some weave in the respective color. Can't tell if it will look nice or cheesy. And is it the same seat/weave color and pattern whether standard or leather interior?
3. If go with steel brakes, I presume they're the same brakes as the .2 base? If I recall, the .2 base gets brakes from .1 S, correct? If this is the case, they should be adequate, and preferable to Ceramics for track work due to replacement costs. Has anyone confirmed how long Ceramics are lasting when used for tracking?
Old 10-24-2017 | 08:50 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Originally Posted by Selo
1. Is it confirmed that the 918 owners get first choice? I called my dealer immediately yesterday morning, and he knew nothing about the car. So he created a list and confirmed that I'm #1. Chances are good that I'll get one, I'd think. But with Porsche, who knows.
2. Only thing I'm not sure about aesthetically is sport tex seats. On configurator, when you spec the T interior in either red, yellow, or silver, the seats have some weave in the respective color. Can't tell if it will look nice or cheesy. And is it the same seat/weave color and pattern whether standard or leather interior?
3. If go with steel brakes, I presume they're the same brakes as the .2 base? If I recall, the .2 base gets brakes from .1 S, correct? If this is the case, they should be adequate, and preferable to Ceramics for track work due to replacement costs. Has anyone confirmed how long Ceramics are lasting when used for tracking?
the .2 brakes are bigger than .1 base.

Ceramic and steel brakes cost about the same in the long term. Steel are incremental consumables and ceramics a large investment less often. Others can chime in about mileage but my understanding is that ceramic brakes last about 4x as long. Don't take that as gospel though.
Old 10-24-2017 | 09:23 AM
Argon_
Pro

Originally Posted by A/S

Important to note that the PPCB weight savings is rotating mass, so the effect it has on a car's ability to accelerate is much greater.
Old 10-24-2017 | 11:47 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Originally Posted by sticky

Just a hilariously idiotic post.

I hear Porsche is considering taking the 4.0 out of the GT3 and replacing it with the 991.1 3.4. Measuring 0-60 with a calendar instead of a stopwatch is just so much more rewarding.
Not sure you can read and comprehend.... I never said anything about the performance. I'm looking for fun and an experience.

You sure do talk a lot of **** for someone with a base car.... Sooooo much propaganda around what your car could be with mods. I like modding as much as anyone but lets stay focused when we discuss Porsche offerings. With enough money I can mod a 914 to race faster than you from stop light to stop light.... Comparing modded cars is a fools errand. What if I add a tune - what if I add a tune and a sticker - I'll race you NOS.... etc
Old 10-24-2017 | 11:54 AM
wwspeeds
Advanced

Re: PCCB cost vs steels (prices from suncoast)
steels are $970 for full set of rotors , $390 for pads
PCCBs are $22,000 for full set of rotors, $800 for pads

w
Old 10-24-2017 | 12:03 PM
K-A
Drifting

I think it’s awesome and I think Porsche gives each 911 variation their own reasoning and character, which goes a long way as to this cars success and dedicated and growing fanbase.

Pro’s: A collectible. Will depreciate far less than other $100K cars (as all 911’s do). Will depreciate less than other Carrera’s. Will drive better than the base. Will drive better than anything else near it’s price. Will depreciate far less than anything else at its price (there’s so much overpriced, massive depreciating garbage at $100K). All that for $104K? No brainer, imo.

Cons; Collectibility and resale won’t be as strong in the turbo gen. And “purist” doesn’t carry the same weight when it’s got two whistling turbos muffling out the sound and soul of the car. “Purist” iterations above all are about being N/A. Manual and weight matter a ton, but now more than ever (being that turbo is the new norm), N/A is the ultimate signifier.

I have no doubts that if Porsche brought back the 3.4 N/A .1 motor as a last run for this car, and gave it a 20 HP power boost (to match the new HP figure) and PSE, the price of this thing would be bid up massively, far more than whatever it will be now. And that says a lot.
Old 10-24-2017 | 12:22 PM
LexVan
Banned

Porsche must be loving the BUZZ this has generated. At least 5 different threads started on Rennlist, with over 15,000 views and growing.

Last edited by LexVan; 10-24-2017 at 12:48 PM. Reason: spilling error!
Old 10-24-2017 | 12:26 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sticky
Nailed it but that torque peak comes a lot earlier and another 100 lb-ft is just a tune away...
This is a BIG point. At any given engine rpm out of a bend—2000, 2500, 3000, 3500, 4000—the 3.0tt has a LOT more torque than a NA flat six, and you carry that advantage forward. I drove a base 991.2 up a closed uphill rally stage chasing a (far) better driver in a 991.1 GT3 RS with several advantages and he couldn't get away from the Carrera out of the turns. It was a simple matter of torque—not PDK, skill, or anything else—as both 911s could put all their power down.

Originally Posted by Selo
On the rally stage above—a few minutes up the hill, a brief pause and then back down the hill—the standard 991.2 Carrera brakes got awfully smelly. Never faded, but the smell had me getting on the nearest straight road. For some drivers in some situations, the 991.1S brakes might not be enough for the base 991.2 due to the 3.0tt's torque. You arrive at the next bend traveling at a higher speed than you would in a 991.1S.

Originally Posted by A/S
...once you opt for the Carbon seats (forces no rear seats as the buckets don't recline), that's 75-80 lbs of weight reduced...
I'd have to go back to a 987.2 Cayman S series I did at Excellence years ago, but I weighed 987/997 buckets—which had no height adjustment at all—against standard 987S seats and the difference wasn't all that impressive. 28 pounds, I think. Maybe total. I'm told the 981/991 LWBs are even less "lightweight" against the 4-way Sport Seat Plus, as the buckets now have electric height adjustment. I was told it's a pretty slim margin, certainly less than 75-80 lbs (possibly more like 15-40).

Originally Posted by A/S
...and PCCB another 42 lbs
It varies from model to model, but I remember asking about PCCB weight savings on the 987.2 Boxster Spyder and it wasn't all that impressive. Yes, PCCB meant lighter rotor material, but larger rotors and larger calipers—and, in the case of the 991.2 Carrera, much larger rotors and much larger calipers.

Originally Posted by LexVan
Porsche must be loving the BUZZ this as generated. At least 5 different threads started on Rennlist, with over 15,000 views and growing.
Fully agreed.

The more I think about the name, the more I dislike it. Too bad they didn't do "Carrera Sport" (CS for short...) or "TR" in a reference to the old T/R back-door base car race car. The badge doesn't make any sense historically (the original T was an austerity car, not a purist's car) or now (the Touring is a "tamer/less visually aggressive" car). The "T" also looks visually unbalanced, so badge delete—and stripe delete—would be the only way I'd order a Carrera T. Too bad one can't delete the embroidered "911" in the headrests, the gray mirrors, and the gray wheels.

As for the car? Besides GTS pricing proximity once desirable options are added, this is one of the most desirable 911 model offerings to come along in a long time. It represents a break with 20+ years of model strategy, and a welcome one.

Last edited by stout; 10-24-2017 at 01:41 PM.
Old 10-24-2017 | 12:43 PM
Bemo
Drifting

Originally Posted by LexVan
Porsche must be loving the BUZZ this as generated. At least 5 different threads started on Rennlist, with over 15,000 views and growing.
Yes. Unfortunately for Porsche, the threads will generate a lot more BUZZ than their lowly 3L turbo engine ever will, even with reduced insulation and thinner glass.
Old 10-24-2017 | 01:24 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by wwspeeds
Re: PCCB cost vs steels (prices from suncoast)
steels are $970 for full set of rotors , $390 for pads
PCCBs are $22,000 for full set of rotors, $800 for pads

w
But you'll likely never have to replace the PCCBs, while you'll run through plenty of the iron pads and likely rotors.
Old 10-24-2017 | 01:33 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Archimedes
But you'll likely never have to replace the PCCBs, as long as you don't track the car, while you'll run through plenty of the iron pads and likely rotors.
FIFY.

Quick Reply: New 911 Carrera T: a completely pointless marketing exercise