Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 911 Carrera T: a completely pointless marketing exercise

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2017, 09:17 PM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 453 Likes on 309 Posts

Y'all can laugh all you want, but what makes the new 911 T really special is that 6 speed manual with higher ratio rear end for better acceleration in a low cost 911. I'd pay really good money to get that transaxle swapped into my C2S....
Old 10-23-2017, 09:17 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by 09RedGTS
Y'all can laugh all you want, but what makes the new 911 T really special is that 6 speed manual with higher ratio rear end for better acceleration in a low cost 911. I'd pay really good money to get that transaxle swapped into my C2S....
It's not a 6 speed.
Old 10-23-2017, 09:18 PM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by R_Rated
Number of sales = data

Upgrading a 3.8 or swapping to a 4.0 does require designs.... as does upgrading the 3.0tt and not grenading it.

YOU are not the market. The market is a collective and they have spoken by purchasing significantly less 991.2 cars than 991.1 cars last year. (data and not emotion)

Funny they didn't use a 3.4 yup. Funny they do a lot of things. The return of a manual in a GT3 was because people WANTED the slower and less efficient platform.

You're becoming obtuse in your witch hunt that a tuned 3.0tt is nirvana.
The sales data shows the Macan and the Cayenne are the big sellers. I guess the 911 is a failure then because sales data is the principal point of determining what is the better car.

Oh wait, the Macan and Cayenne are turbocharged. I guess that settles that.

There is nothing you can to do to a 3.8 that will ever have it match the tuning factor of the 3.0T. Porsche shows with the GTS you can do upgrades and not 'grenade' anything. As a matter of fact, you will 'grenade' a 991.1 S 3.8 in a hurry if you try to match the output of a tuned 991.2 Carrera, S, or GTS. You certainly will never match the torque figures.

The return of a manual in the GT3 speaks to the enthusiast nature of the car. The 991 T has a manual as well. And? The GT2 is PDK only. I guess the 911 T offers something the GT2 doesn't.

The 911 T has a 9A2. You know, the engine utilized in 2017? The one offering far more performance? The one offering huge torque gains? The one that is cleaner? The one that is the performance choice? The one that actually received engineering awards?

Did Porsche stop selling the 911 Turbo or something with the GT3 on the market?

The 911 T is a phenomenal car and arguably the best driver's 911 for the money in the entire lineup. Deal with it.
Old 10-23-2017, 09:22 PM
Banned

I am on the list with a deposit for a new GT3 - Thanks.

911R - I'm not a collector and won't pay the price for one.

What's stopping you from buying a GT2 since you keep referencing trying to build one?
The $300k required and begging to be blessed with an allocation? I'm more than happy to pay $102k for a 911 T. It checks all the boxes for me.

For one, it isn't outdated and slow. I can't imagine being one of those sad people who has to talk about perceived engine noise superiority because I can not talk about actual performance superiority of a sports car.

Last edited by sticky; 10-24-2017 at 04:59 AM.
Old 10-23-2017, 09:22 PM
Banned

It's not a 6 speed.
Typo obviously but he is focusing on the gear ratios and correct there.
Old 10-23-2017, 09:23 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Originally Posted by sticky
The sales data shows the Macan and the Cayenne are the big sellers. I guess the 911 is a failure then because sales data is the principal point of determining what is the better car.

Oh wait, the Macan and Cayenne are turbocharged. I guess that settles that.

There is nothing you can to do to a 3.8 that will ever have it match the tuning factor of the 3.0T. Porsche shows with the GTS you can do upgrades and not 'grenade' anything. As a matter of fact, you will 'grenade' a 991.1 S 3.8 in a hurry if you try to match the output of a tuned 991.2 Carrera, S, or GTS. You certainly will never match the torque figures.

The return of a manual in the GT3 speaks to the enthusiast nature of the car. The 991 T has a manual as well. And?

The 911 T has a 9A2. You know, the engine utilized in 2017? The one offering far more performance? The one offering huge torque gains? The one that is cleaner? The one that is the performance choice?

Did Porsche stop selling the 911 Turbo or something with the GT3 on the market?

The 911 T is a phenomenal car and arguably the best driver's 911 for the money in the entire lineup. Deal with it.
The macan and Cayenne are SUV's and not sports cars. I have a turbo in my daily car.... How is this relevant to anything?

With enought money you can mod the 991.1.... I said 4,0 swap but you insist on citing modding the 3.8.... try to proof read. You're sounding ignorant.

The NA crowd doesn't care about the torque. You should learn how to drive and it would be less of a sticking point for you. Ot get a SRT8 if Torque is your primary goal. Or GTR.

The Turbo has always been a "turbo" how is this even relevant to the thread or any part of the conversation?

The sales data shows an embarrassing number of 911's sold this year vs the 991.1's.... forget SUV's as it's not in context.
Old 10-23-2017, 09:25 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Typo obviously but he is focusing on the gear ratios and correct there.
It's not a typo.... all the carrera's can have 7 speeds. why bring it up if it's the same as every other carrera. Geared differently - yes. 6 speed no.
Old 10-23-2017, 09:25 PM
Banned

It's not a typo.... all the carrera's can have 7 speeds. why bring it up if it's the same as every other carrera. Geared differently - yes. 6 speed no.
He made a mistake. It's a 7-speed but geared differently. Duh.
Old 10-23-2017, 09:26 PM
R_Rated
Banned

He made a mistake. It's a 7-speed but geared differently. Duh.
Correct and that is what I said. You said typo - that is different.

You win.
Old 10-23-2017, 09:31 PM
Banned

The macan and Cayenne are SUV's and not sports cars. I have a turbo in my daily car.... How is this relevant to anything?

With enought money you can mod the 991.1.... I said 4,0 swap but you insist on citing modding the 3.8.... try to proof read. You're sounding ignorant.

The NA crowd doesn't care about the torque. You should learn how to drive and it would be less of a sticking point for you. Ot get a SRT8 if Torque is your primary goal. Or GTR.

The Turbo has always been a "turbo" how is this even relevant to the thread or any part of the conversation?

The sales data shows an embarrassing number of 911's sold this year vs the 991.1's.... forget SUV's as it's not in context.
Sorry the Macan sells more so it is better. Just using your self-serving logic.

There is nothing you can do to you car that is worth doing. Seriously, line up with any 3.0T and film it. Make sure you film the expression on your face afterwards too.

The NA crowd doesn't? Well I do. Seems others do as well.

Why would I get a GTR when I want a light RWD car? The only thing my 911 and a GTR have in common is they show how slow your car is.

Well now the 911 is turbocharged so you get the benefit of turbos. You still have the GT3 for those who want to talk about the typical NA driving points. It's funny how those who constantly want to write about those points don't even have a GT3 which actually has a serious naturally aspirated flat-6 and is the best execution of the NA argument.

Weird that when I was at the dealership I had to put money down in advance to get the car as several others were trying to get it. They literally would come off the boat and already be sold.

You can try to come up with whatever revisionist narrative you want to. There is no arguing the 911 Carrera, Carrera S, and GTS are now serious performance cars. Oh, and the 911 T will absolutely demolish your old 991.1 around a track. Deal with it.
Old 10-23-2017, 09:32 PM
surquhar
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 62 Posts

Your estimates are self-serving and based on emotional responses and not data.

The 991.2 is a spectacular machine that raises the bar. Please stop raining on the parade with your 991.1 delusions of grandeur.

Any Porsche engine can not just be 'upgraded' as the design of the engine if the main factor. You will spend so much time upgraded a 3.8 that you might as well start with the better 4.0 as the 3.8 will not reach it anyway. The 3.0 on the other hand can just bolt on larger turbos and hit heights the 3.8 can only dream of.

How has the market spoken? I am the market. As are many others here with 991.2's. What are you talking about?

The 911 T with a few upgrades will offer a very nice GT2 facsimile for a fraction of the cost. I'm fine with that.

Funny how Porsche puts a turbo lightweight RWD 911 as the top of the range car and not a 991.1 3.4 for some odd reason.
All r rated does is talk. He isn't after performance - He drives a .1 cab. BUT he has a super loud exhaust on it so he can feel connected to the car.
Old 10-23-2017, 09:33 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

For one, it isn't outdated and slow.
Unlike the 991.2 Carrera Base which is now...

wait for it...

OUTDATED AND SLOW compared to the new lighter 991T.
Old 10-23-2017, 09:36 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by surquhar
All r rated does is talk. He isn't after performance - He drives a .1 cab. BUT he has a super loud exhaust on it so he can feel connected to the car.
The guy actually said he was thinking about going to a 991.1 3.4.

How can you take someone seriously who wants to take everything about the 991.1 3.8, make it worse in every way, and then proclaim it as better?
Old 10-23-2017, 09:36 PM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 281 Posts

I am in the "like it" camp. Cool options package for the base car.

(avoiding the turbo's suck controversy)
Old 10-23-2017, 09:37 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Dewinator
Unlike the 991.2 Carrera Base which is now...

wait for it...

OUTDATED AND SLOW compared to the new lighter 991T.
They improved the power to weight with the exact same engine.

I don't see how that is the same thing whatsoever as going from naturally aspirated and very weak engines in the 991.1 range to turbocharged motors in the 991.2 range.

Try making a coherent argument.

Quick Reply: New 911 Carrera T: a completely pointless marketing exercise