Sponsored by:

New 911 Carrera T: a completely pointless marketing exercise

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2017, 07:25 AM
Selo
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by randr;
A lot will depend on the gear ratios/final drive but it is very conceivable that this car may in fact be a lot more fun in the real world than the GT3T. (450Nm @ 1700rpm and gears as torque multipliers Porsche may have been very clever GT3 460Nm @ 6000rpm - good on track with longer gears......but in the realm of twisty back roads).
Bingo. I'm on the list for a GT3 manual, but all the time I'm thinking where do I use this screamer motor without going to jail, and omg, what happens to resale value with miles and a scratch? This car will be a fun addition yo a 981 Spyder, allowing a 911 rear motor experience in a package that arguably feels closer to the 911s of yesteryear. With RWS and LWBs, I think Porsche is showing they actually learned a lesson from the GT4 experiment: HP and track times aren't the most important things to many Porsche buyers, it's involvement and emotion we're looking for. I wonder what AP will have to say about this car. But if he says it's fun, one word of advice: go buy one.
Old 10-23-2017, 07:30 AM
captainkirk
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Wait Wait.

Is this Car supposed to be turbo charged 911R similar type car. They even sell it without Sound System.

Interesting offering. While I am gathering funds for Gt3 Touring, this car is way cheaper to have 6 gear weekend car vs Gt3 Touring (though I will go for Gt3) but this is VERY interesting car which kinda fits my needs. Will have to see, wait, and test drive etc when the opportunity presents itself
Old 10-23-2017, 07:32 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
Yes, a NA motor would make this car killer.
why? It's still heavier than a #1. Get a CPO and take out the radio and back seats + aftermarket exhaust and you'll be 200+ pounds lighter than this thing.
Old 10-23-2017, 08:54 AM
daberlin
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 12 Posts

The Porsche 911T. When the other 21 versions of the 911 you can build aren't enough to satisfy.
Old 10-23-2017, 09:03 AM
ibmiked
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I will be ordering the lightweight glass, rear seat delete, LWBs, and door pulls for my 991.1 GTS. Thank you Porsche for making these motorsports parts available on a 'cheap' model so they aren't festooned with the GT3 embroidery and prices.

Modifying your 911 with factory performance parts has been in the Porsche DNA since the 1968 911T and the first factory published Sports Purpose Manual. This new 991.2 T doesn't interest me, but the possibilities it opens up for my N/A car does...
Old 10-23-2017, 09:05 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

As mentioned by someone, they should have ONE 911 Carrera model with EVERY possible customizable option on the configurator. Build your own MODEL as you see fit.

Pick body style, engine, etc .....
Old 10-23-2017, 10:10 AM
911seeker
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
As mentioned by someone, they should have ONE 911 Carrera model with EVERY possible customizable option on the configurator. Build your own MODEL as you see fit.

Pick body style, engine, etc .....

I would agree... as long as they have pre-configured "packages" as well.

I hate going for a "custom made salad bar" for the first few times if they don't have a "house salad" or a couple of them available as well... too much brain damage when you are not an expert...
Old 10-23-2017, 10:23 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by 911seeker
I would agree... as long as they have pre-configured "packages" as well.

I hate going for a "custom made salad bar" for the first few times if they don't have a "house salad" or a couple of them available as well... too much brain damage when you are not an expert...

It will never happen. The marketing of the models is what sells cars and it’s hard enough getting through the many options as is for most guys. Just wishful thinking ...
Old 10-23-2017, 10:48 AM
Drawpt
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by evilfij
The original T was designed to be a car to modify off the showroom floor.
Gotta agree here, sounds like a tuner car. Quite appealing for the types who mod their cars and are over the turbo/NA debate. There are already chips available that take the base engine to 450HP and 399TQ.
Old 10-23-2017, 10:48 AM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,471 Likes on 1,560 Posts

Originally Posted by R_Rated
why? It's still heavier than a #1. Get a CPO and take out the radio and back seats + aftermarket exhaust and you'll be 200+ pounds lighter than this thing.
If you have to ask why I can not explain it to you. The reason is obvious.
Old 10-23-2017, 10:59 AM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

At least they didnt put a 4 cyl in it! When I first saw the headline thats where I thought they were going.
Old 10-23-2017, 11:25 AM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by 911boy
At least they didnt put a 4 cyl in it! When I first saw the headline thats where I thought they were going.
the Naturally aspirated 4-cylinder 911 would have been the last of the real Carreras as oppose to a turbocharged 4-cylinder Carrera.
Old 10-23-2017, 11:46 AM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 292 Likes on 147 Posts

I think this car is fantastic. Im very tempted to trade my wifes 991.2 cab for one. But I really want buckets and a rear seat

driving a race car is not about sound its about feel and speed around the track. The 991.2 turbo motor is much better than any other non GT motor produced. The 991.1 motor needs to be wound up to get on power....991.2 does not. Its just that much better

The revised gearing will make the car more fun and keep it in the power band longer with more shifts

For a little over $100K you can get a real good porsche with a manual trans and light weight buckets....just awesome. Bravo porsche

anyone ever goto Sebring when Audi ran the turbo diesel LMP cars? whisper silent and fantstic performance. were you standing on teh sidelines complaining that they didnt make noise or in awe of how fast they went (they dont even brake for turn 1)

who cares what the car sounds like....if you want a noisy car go buy a civic with a fart pipe LOL
Old 10-23-2017, 11:56 AM
Rocket_boy
Burning Brakes

Received 330 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting
Agree that NA engines are going away, but not its because the customers don't like them, it's because of emission and fuel economy regulations being forced on the auto industry by tree hugger legislators in government.

Porsche isn't currently making all turbo vehicles (except for GT cars) because they wanted to, they are doing so because they were forced to.
So yes Porsche now sells more turbos than NA cars, because they were forced to.
If you want to compare what CUSTOMERS prefer, then look at the sales numbers of the 911 carrera, cayman, and boxster and compare total sales of generation 2 turbos vs generation 1 NA models. It's clear that the NA models are preferred as they sold more of them. Apples to apples comparison is needed for clarity here.

I do agree there is a general drift away from sports cars. Millennials are far more concerned with the brand/function of their smartphone and laptop than they are with owning a car, let alone a sports car.

Many governments are passing legislation to ban production of any new pure ICE cars 20-25 years from now.
Its certainly possible that car choices for my grandchildren will only consist of electric or hybrid cars, and there may not be any pure NA (or pure turbo cars) available to purchase new by that point in time.

In total agreement. What is so ridiculous is the assumption that a smaller turbo engine is any more fuel efficient or cleaner compared to NA. EPA mileage is mostly based on "easily" driven city driving and steady state lower speed highway cruising. Has nothing to do with typical real world driving,....especially not for me and probably most other Porsche drivers.

Start dipping into the boost area on any turbo car and your are pretty much back to where you started as far as mileage is concerned. Cruise like a grandma @ 55 mph and sure you will get better mileage out of a 3.0 compared to a 3.8. Start using the boost to make it at least fun, there goes the MPG.

Can't tell you how much I have to boot my wife's BMW to at least get it on boost and move, otherwise it is pretty much a slug. We don't get any better mileage out of this one compared to her previous one with a larger NA engine. It's just simply a shell game.

For the 911T,....decent package just not for me though. But think if they would put lets say a 400 HP high revving NA engine in it. Now THAT would be a cool "T"......
Old 10-23-2017, 11:57 AM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

Received 100 Likes on 74 Posts

This is the 'poor man's' track day 911. Real world problems....

The sport buckets are the ticket. There's no other 911 you can buy besides GT3 where you can install a roll bar, have factory legal seats and drive the car back and forth to the track. In addition, manual or PDK and SPASM and optional rear steering.

Quick Reply: New 911 Carrera T: a completely pointless marketing exercise