Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 911 Carrera T: a completely pointless marketing exercise

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2017, 01:52 PM
captainkirk
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

I just saw the pics carefully. Car has 7 gear manual. I wanted it to see 6 Gear manual.
Old 10-23-2017, 01:52 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Argon_
Oh that would be glorious.

Shame it is 99.5% likely not to ever happen.
would be epic - forgot a naturally aspirated engine. The 3.4 would be fine in a ~2800 pound car...
Old 10-23-2017, 02:03 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,309 Likes on 609 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
We were at Alice’s today, the norcal Mecca for gearhead meetups. A few guys with 991.2 911’s were there as well as an RS. As each one left, of course they did semi-hard launches. The turbo 911’s just kind of slinked away with a barely audible motor sound completely muffled, banana-in-the-tailpipe style. No one could be bothered to even engage a neck muscle to turn around. Then the RS took off with the most glorious sound.. conversations stopped, heads turned, and many just began to spontaneously clap.

Not apples to apples comparison but very telling.. the NA engine is just visceral, the passion for the turbo motors is just not there. The impulse money, the kids college funds, the quarterly bonuses, the laundered drug money.. it all goes to the NA motors, not to the turbos. No way around it.
Good vivid example, but not all drivers don't spend their money on Porsches to impress people at the restaurant I just left—and there are times when I wonder about the aural signature of my GT4 in terms of the negative attention it draws. Sure, I like the way it sounds, but not sure I need to communicate that to others all the time.

More importantly, I think plenty of the money you mention above has gone to turbo cars. Besides 911 Turbos dating back to 1975, there are too many great turbo cars to list, so I'll just name two: Ruf CTR1 and Ferrari F40. I'd rather have a CTR than any GT3, though the 997 4.0 would make me pause for a moment or two.

I think the new T is a great additional choice. SPASM, LSD, short gearing, short shifter, Sport Chrono adjuster without Sport Chrono, lightweight touches...all very desirable. Don't love the name, limited colors, apparent oddities in the configurator (no rear seats for the US regardless of seat choice?), or $6k (!) for the GTS interior pack in silver. A T spec'd my way adds up to $125k in GT Silver with PCCB (I feel base Carrera brakes aren't up to snuff, so PCCB is a worthwhile upgrades). For $125k, a GTS with a couple of key options is hard to pass up...

Curious to see if the configurator will be updated.
Old 10-23-2017, 02:43 PM
KWP1911
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
Except it has the wrong kind of engine in it

This model is the Costco version of the R and GT3 Touring model.

I call it R Lite
Old 10-23-2017, 02:59 PM
Argon_
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by R_Rated
would be epic - forgot a naturally aspirated engine. The 3.4 would be fine in a ~2800 pound car...
How about a centrifugal supercharger on the 3.0

350 HP, no lag, one visceral build to redline.
Old 10-23-2017, 03:16 PM
Ed911.2
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

If you used the same type of internals in the 3.0 as in the GT3 4.0, you could have a 9,600rpm redline at the same piston speed. Probably good for 400hp N/A. But it won’t happen.
Old 10-23-2017, 03:19 PM
SKY57
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by randr
Unfortunately, the brutal reality is NA cars are largely dead and buried.

I clearly prefer turbo charged cars by a large margin as do most Porsche owners - the maths is indeed clear, given Porsche sell far more turbocharged vehicles than NA vehicles and far more PDK vehicles than manuals.
Turbo or NA is just a personal taste thing but....

Do you really think Porsche moves to turbo engine because they WANT to?

Why didn't they do it earlier on 997 or 991.1 Carrera's.?
Old 10-23-2017, 03:31 PM
phow
Pro

Received 234 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by SKY57
Turbo or NA is just a personal taste thing but....

Do you really think Porsche moves to turbo engine because they WANT to?

Why didn't they do it earlier on 997 or 991.1 Carrera's.?
I know I'll get **** for this but my theory is that Porsche could have given us another run of NA motors in the 991.2 with slight power increases across the various models that would have satisfied almost every customer. And I can guarantee there wouldn't have been any cries of "where are the smaller displacement turbo motors we were promised!"

But Porsche had a choice to make... introduce the FI platform in the 992 or put it in the outgoing 991.2 so everyone has a chance to get used to it and get over it.

If you were Porsche, would you rather deal with some negativity around an outgoing generation or to mark the arrival of a new generation of cars?

Porsche made the right call from a business perspective but I can't help but think of the Carerra's we could have had but didn't get
Old 10-23-2017, 03:47 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by phow
I know I'll get **** for this but my theory is that Porsche could have given us another run of NA motors in the 991.2 with slight power increases across the various models that would have satisfied almost every customer. And I can guarantee there wouldn't have been any cries of "where are the smaller displacement turbo motors we were promised!"

But Porsche had a choice to make... introduce the FI platform in the 992 or put it in the outgoing 991.2 so everyone has a chance to get used to it and get over it.

If you were Porsche, would you rather deal with some negativity around an outgoing generation or to mark the arrival of a new generation of cars?

Porsche made the right call from a business perspective but I can't help but think of the Carerra's we could have had but didn't get
Porsche made the right choice because the turbo engines make for great magazine articles and are a significant leap forward in stats vs. competition. This is what sells cars. We're a finicky bunch but a very small demographic of consumers.

P.S. I hate the new engines
Old 10-23-2017, 03:50 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 917 Posts

It is also safe to assume that lower-revving turbo engines are less expensive to develop and produce than a 9k screamer.

Look, the competition got more powerful, emissions tighter, world moving towards turbo and hybrid.. if they had stayed NA they would have fallen behind. It’s just that some of us are dinosaurs and we prefer the good old days rather than the coming days.

I hope they just keep building NA GT cars to mitigate the issue.. but somehow I doubt the 992 gt3 will stay NA. Is be more than ok with hybrid-NA though.

992 turbo
992 Turbo (more boost)
992 GT3 hybrid-NA
992 GT2 Rs hybrid-turbo
Old 10-23-2017, 03:58 PM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 837 Likes on 418 Posts

At least they finally solved the door rattles by removing the stereo.
Old 10-23-2017, 04:02 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,309 Likes on 609 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Is it safe to assume that lower-revving turbo engines are less expensive to develop and produce than a 9k screamer?
"Big revs cost big dollars," said one Porsche engineer to me a while back, when discussing a small displacement GT3 engine instead of the detuned Carrera S 3.8 that went into the GT4. On the other hand, the twin turbochargers, intercooler setup, and all the packaging of the 3.0—which I was told was a real trick in the narrow 911 especially—could not have been cheap.

I've never understood the NA -or- turbo argument. All that matters in a driver's car should be FUN, right? Being closed off to turbos is like being closed off to coupes, stick shifts, or AWD....and it's always a bummer when religion gets in the way of faith. Fwiw, I like both NA -and- turbo engines...so long as they are good NA engines or good turbo engines. Examples of the best from each category are rare—and I'd say the 3.0 turbo is a gem. It may not be GT3 epic, but I find it to be a better and more enjoyable engine than the 3.8 in my GT4 (even if I wouldn't mind a bit more voice). YMMV...
Old 10-23-2017, 05:17 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,614 Likes on 1,053 Posts

Up on the 'murican configurator.

I like it.
Old 10-23-2017, 05:43 PM
koala
Rennlist Member

Received 538 Likes on 315 Posts

If I had to buy new, and it had to be turbo, I'd definitely buy this version.
Old 10-23-2017, 05:52 PM
duxsi
Burning Brakes

Received 180 Likes on 120 Posts

Does anyone else recall that approx 18 months ago they were spouting that MT's were not in their future plans and, as such, were on their last legs. But now they hawking them again as "more driving pleasure".

How many variants of the 991 do we now have?

What's next? Targa Turbo S ?

Quick Reply: New 911 Carrera T: a completely pointless marketing exercise