Sponsored by:

New 911 Carrera T: a completely pointless marketing exercise

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2017, 08:33 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by sticky
Is anyone else absolutely seething over this 911 T? I need to figure out how to get rid of my Carrera now and get into one of these.
No
Old 10-23-2017, 08:39 PM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by R_Rated
No
Well some of us aren't interested in taking steps backward into 991.1 3.4's.

Damn you Porsche... why did you have to do this? Best driver's 911 short of the GT3 and a far greater value. Exceptional.
Old 10-23-2017, 08:41 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Dewinator
Lol poor sticky icky suddenly doesn’t have the fastest slowest 911 anymore, he thought he had until the 992 came out.
Huh? No. I want the differential and lightweight pieces. This addresses every issue I had with the 991.2 base car and they even made it lighter.

I love it.
Old 10-23-2017, 08:43 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Well some of us aren't interested in taking steps backward into 991.1 3.4's.

The majority don't care for the 3.0tt's either.... or they would have reflected very differently in sales vs any year of the 991.1 figures.
Old 10-23-2017, 08:45 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,309 Likes on 609 Posts

Originally Posted by duxsi
Stout is clearly an insider!!!
Nope. While I have insider knowledge on some stuff and have to keep my clap trapped about some things I see and/or drive, I didn't see this model coming. Knew something about a "911T," but not before submitting my order for a 991.2 Carrera MT—and I had no idea the T would get the SPASM I wanted and a host of other cool mechanical upgrades. No one knows/sees it all—it's part of what keeps Porsche interesting to me. This 991 breaks from 20+ years of model strategy (think 964 RSA, which is the right link). It was off the radar because it wasn't GT, and off the radar because the mules (if there were any) would have been invisible.

Still, this stings a bit. The T would have been a better bridge from my GT4 to 991.2 Carrera land. Alas, maybe it's good to get "stung" alongside the rest of the community from time to time—and I can't exactly complain about the Carrera. It was good enough 2 years ago in Tenerife to make me consider canceling my GT4 order.
Old 10-23-2017, 08:52 PM
Banned

So it's heavier than a 991.1 without the engine people want in the heavier 991.2 configuration and although it is heavier it is marketed as a lightweight version without the infotainment that was part of the differentiation of the new car.... So new car was marketed as new infotainment and new engine. Mr. "T" is marketed without one and everyone wants a different engine... essentially negating any reason to buy any #2 car.

I Pity da fool... any fool that thinks this is appealing.
LOL get a load of this guy.

They are claiming a curb weight of 3142 pounds.

As far the engine people want it would be the one it has. Not the one some guy on a forum who doesn't have it keeps deluding himself about. You know, the one that actually has some punch to it? The one that can actually be upgraded? The performance choice?

Throw a tune on there or the GTS turbos and it is a budget GT2. If that isn't appealing you don't like 911's.
Old 10-23-2017, 08:56 PM
Banned

The majority don't care for the 3.0tt's either.... or they would have reflected very differently in sales vs any year of the 991.1 figures.
I have no idea who appointed you an authority on engine preference. Well, actually, nobody did.

The 3.0T is a much better engine as engineering awards show offering far greater efficiency and performance. It's no contest.

This thread is about a new car coming out. It doesn't have some dopey little underpowered and outdated naturally aspirated flat-6 like a 991.1.

Just make a cheerleading thread about old 911's already and everyone else can live in the present. The NA vs. Turbo debate is over.
Old 10-23-2017, 08:57 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Argon_
It has lighter glass in the rear and side windows, cloth loops for door pulls inside, Sport-Tex seats, and less sound insulation. Unlike the regular Carrera, the T has PASM and can be optioned with rear-wheel steering. And if you option the full bucket seats (which you definitely should) then the rear seats are deleted to save even more weight.

The bolded part is what I find most important. Being able to actually hear the car.

I'm all in favor of this new machine.
This guy gets it.

I'm all for it as well.
Old 10-23-2017, 08:59 PM
R_Rated
Banned

LOL get a load of this guy.

They are claiming a curb weight of 3142 pounds.

As far the engine people want it would be the one it has. Not the one some guy on a forum who doesn't have it keeps deluding himself about. You know, the one that actually has some punch to it? The one that can actually be upgraded? The performance choice?

Throw a tune on there or the GTS turbos and it is a budget GT2. If that isn't appealing you don't like 911's.
You keep saying things like that but
A.) It's not "one some guy" - it's a large number and I estimate the forum is split 50/50.
B.) Any Porsche engine can be upgraded. So few people tune. - also - I could easily put a 4.0 swap in and a sequential transmission. Modding is dumb to compare since then it's more a matter of budgets and way too many variables to compare someone's science experiment.
C.) The market has spoken and most preferred the 3.4 and 3.8 to any 3.0tt
D.) you're delusional to think it's a budget GT2.... A sports car is so much more than just an hp number. It's like saying if I put LWB seats in my C2S then it's basically a 918.
Old 10-23-2017, 09:05 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by brownan
Man, they are whoring out the old nomenclatures double time these days.

Car looks nice but is pointless. My personal view is that a club sport stye would be cool if it ticked the following boxes:

- base car
- no PASM
- no nonsense like RWS, active steering, etc. Only acronym allowed is ABS and PASM
- no sunroof
- manual sporty chairs but not the carbon buckets for $$$...more like a heavily bolstered fabric chair like on RS America
- reduction of sound deadening material
- basic radio, basic HVAC w/o dual zone
- basic door cards
- base headlamps, no washers
- optional lightweight forged wheel
- fixed wing element but different than GT wings
- weighs 2850#
- costs $100k
- most people will hopefully hate it
- comes in white, red, black. Optional colors silver and dark blue.
LOL this car is basically what you're asking for.

It is a base.
They did remove sound deadening.
No sunroof.
Manual sport seats available.
PCM delete.
Door handles replaced.
Lightweight glass.
Weighs 3154 pounds.
Costs $102k

No 991.2 is going to weigh 2850 pounds and pass modern crash standards. Other than some things that just aren't possible this car is everything you want.

What are people bitching about?
Old 10-23-2017, 09:07 PM
R_Rated
Banned

What are people bitching about?
Mostly having a boosted engine based on the posts...
Old 10-23-2017, 09:09 PM
Banned

You keep saying things like that but
A.) It's not "one some guy" - it's a large number and I estimate the forum is split 50/50.
B.) Any Porsche engine can be upgraded. So few people tune. - also - I could easily put a 4.0 swap in and a sequential transmission. Modding is dumb to compare since then it's more a matter of budgets and way too many variables to compare someone's science experiment.
C.) The market has spoken and most preferred the 3.4 and 3.8 to any 3.0tt
D.) you're delusional to think it's a budget GT2.... A sports car is so much more than just an hp number. It's like saying if I put LWB seats in my C2S then it's basically a 918.
Your estimates are self-serving and based on emotional responses and not data.

The 991.2 is a spectacular machine that raises the bar. Please stop raining on the parade with your 991.1 delusions of grandeur.

Any Porsche engine can not just be 'upgraded' as the design of the engine is the main factor. You will spend so much time upgrading a 3.8 that you might as well start with the better 4.0 as the 3.8 will not reach it anyway. The 3.0 on the other hand can just bolt on larger turbos and hit heights the 3.8 can only dream of.

How has the market spoken? I am the market. As are many others here with 991.2's. What are you talking about?

The 911 T with a few upgrades will offer a very nice GT2 facsimile for a fraction of the cost. I'm fine with that.

Funny how Porsche puts a turbo lightweight RWD 911 as the top of the range car and not a 991.1 3.4 for some odd reason.

Last edited by sticky; 10-24-2017 at 04:58 AM.
Old 10-23-2017, 09:13 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Your estimates are self-serving and based on emotional responses and not data.

The 991.2 is a spectacular machine that raises the bar. Please stop raining on the parade with your 991.1 delusions of grandeur.

Any Porsche engine can not just be 'upgraded' as the design of the engine if the main factor. You will spend so much time upgraded a 3.8 that you might as well start with the better 4.0 as the 3.8 will not reach it anyway. The 3.0 on the other hand can just bolt on larger turbos and hit heights the 3.8 can only dream of.

How has the market spoken? I am the market. As are many others here with 991.2's. What are you talking about?

The 911 T with a few upgrades will offer a very nice GT2 facsimile for a fraction of the cost. I'm fine with that.

Funny how Porsche puts a turbo lightweight RWD 911 as the top of the range car and not a 991.1 3.4 for some odd reason.
Number of sales = data

Upgrading a 3.8 or swapping to a 4.0 does require designs.... as does upgrading the 3.0tt and not grenading it.

YOU are not the market. The market is a collective and they have spoken by purchasing significantly less 991.2 cars than 991.1 cars last year. (data and not emotion)

Funny they didn't use a 3.4 yup. Funny they do a lot of things. The return of a manual in a GT3 was because people WANTED the slower and less efficient platform.

You're becoming obtuse in your witch hunt that a tuned 3.0tt is nirvana.
Old 10-23-2017, 09:13 PM
Banned

Mostly having a boosted engine based on the posts...
What's stopping you from getting a GT3 or 911 R? I'm willing to donate money to the cause if it means not having to read any more of your fantasies.
Old 10-23-2017, 09:15 PM
R_Rated
Banned

What's stopping you from getting a GT3 or 911 R? I'm willing to donate money to the cause if it means not having to read any more of your fantasies.
I am on the list with a deposit for a new GT3 - Thanks.

911R - I'm not a collector and won't pay the price for one.

What's stopping you from buying a GT2 since you keep referencing trying to build one?

Quick Reply: New 911 Carrera T: a completely pointless marketing exercise