Sponsored by: Road Spy

I Stepped Up AGAIN (991.2 Turbo S)

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2021, 02:36 PM
onfireTTS
Rennlist Member

Received 1,109 Likes on 857 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Swole
The only problem I have that sounds different than yours is after it throws the code at speed, I can no longer do anything manually until I pull the positive cable off the battery for a couple of minutes. Or reset the code with a scanner I’m assuming.

if mine were just always deploy regardless manually then I would probably just leave it alone because it seems to work perfectly fine even at speed. Like I said when I tested the other day, I was at 75 mph and it deployed perfectly multiple times in every mode manually. Once I got to 78 mph as when the code pops up and then it no longer works until I clear the code by pulling the positive cable off the battery for a couple of minutes.
Makes me think that it is a bad speed sensor. Does your cruise control work ?
Old 04-24-2021, 06:48 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Received 2,102 Likes on 1,324 Posts

Originally Posted by onfireTTS
Makes me think that it is a bad speed sensor. Does your cruise control work ?

yes the cruise control works. That’s how I tested it one time. I let it creep up with the cruise control till about 77 mph and it never through the code after pulling the battery cable. Once I said it for 78, it would throw the code and then disable my manual deployment.

Old 04-25-2021, 08:55 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mercuriell
Sure did. Thing is - there is hardware to inflate the spoiler, pump, lines, bladder snd software to monitor its deployment. How can the deployment be monitored? Either a microswitch or else more likely imho - pressure monitoring ? So either the software and control modules are screwed up OR they're working ok and when reaching 75mph, bladder pressure falls triggering the error latch. Once that latch is triggered you can't deploy at any speed without a battery disconnect reset. I think hardware problems more likely than software glitches so I still think most likely scenario is a pin hole leak in the bladder/ air supply system or a faulty pressure monitoring sensor. I think your focus on speed sensor is a red herring. Just my 2¢ ! 🤞

I'm sure you're WAY smarter than me about stuff like this (Being totally serous), however, how can I drive 40 miles at UNDER the 78 mph threshold and deploy them PERFECTLY Multiple times (in / out / in / out) in EVERY mode (including automatically with the dial by closing Sport Plus) and NEVER throw a code or cause an issue at all????

Then after 40+ miles of staying under 78 mph, using my Cruise Control to go Just over the 77 mph mark to 78 and THEN All the sudden the msg. / code pops up??

Here's a long boring video of what happened when the Indy checked my DME with PIWIS.... Codes came RIGHT BACK while the car was sitting still running in the shop, after being cleared with PIWIS...Not even deployed and not being deployed and Not going 78 mph. Weird Stuff!!!

Old 04-25-2021, 11:38 PM
Mercuriell
Burning Brakes

Received 490 Likes on 303 Posts

Interesting video - the mechanic spent a lot of tine on the RDK error codes which seemed to coincide with your 78mph trigger speed - rdk is Reifendrucksensoren or tire pressure sensors - maybe a fault from these could affect spoiler deployment. Also interesting that after fault clearing that front spoiler linear sensor fault recurred - might be worth looking into that!

This makes interesting reading ! (I see Big Swole seen this - did you try the disgnostics routine?)

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...eed-error.html

Last edited by Mercuriell; 04-26-2021 at 01:44 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Big Swole (04-26-2021)
Old 04-26-2021, 07:23 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Interesting video - the mechanic spent a lot of tine on the RDK error codes which seemed to coincide with your 78mph trigger speed - rdk is Reifendrucksensoren or tire pressure sensors - maybe a fault from these could affect spoiler deployment. Also interesting that after fault clearing that front spoiler linear sensor fault recurred - might be worth looking into that!

This makes interesting reading ! (I see Big Swole seen this - did you try the disgnostics routine?)

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...eed-error.html

Replying before checking that thread link.

I will say that I did have LOW Tire pressure warnings on my car for several weeks, as they were still low from when I did the track event at AMP.
So they stayed below the "comfort" levels for quite a while. I'd only driven the car a few times since (not sure if I ever went over 78 during those short trips)

If I'm not mistaken, I'd just filled up my tires to proper amounts the very DAY I drove it and got the "Spoiler Failure" code.

Maybe this is related. Hmmm.

Why would it not just go back to normal since I raised the pressures though?
Old 04-26-2021, 07:29 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Yes, I saw that thread. I've not had the time or bravery to start pulling stuff apart though. Not sure I's something I want to tackle.
I have very little time to and would rather have it diagnosed / repaired by an Indy / Dealer.
It's going to be a few weeks (due to some training classes I'm going to be in for the next few weeks) before I will have time to take it in.

Old 04-26-2021, 07:58 PM
onfireTTS
Rennlist Member

Replying before checking that thread link.

I will say that I did have LOW Tire pressure warnings on my car for several weeks, as they were still low from when I did the track event at AMP.
So they stayed below the "comfort" levels for quite a while. I'd only driven the car a few times since (not sure if I ever went over 78 during those short trips)

If I'm not mistaken, I'd just filled up my tires to proper amounts the very DAY I drove it and got the "Spoiler Failure" code.

Maybe this is related. Hmmm.

Why would it not just go back to normal since I raised the pressures though?
Do you still have the pressure warning?
Old 04-26-2021, 08:05 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Do you still have the pressure warning?

The warning pops.
I hit the "back" arrow button and it goes away
But stores a little "F&R spoiler icon" in RED
After a while it seems to go away. Maybe after a re-crank.
However I can NOT deploy them again and Sport Plus doesn't either, UNTIL I pull the + cable off the battery for a few mins.

The Repeat the above steps.

If I stay BELOW 78 mph after removing the + cable, I'm assuming it would Never pop up again...Even with spoilers deployed at 76-77 MPH for a long distance.
Old 04-26-2021, 08:12 PM
onfireTTS
Rennlist Member

The warning pops.
I hit the "back" arrow button and it goes away
But stores a little "F&R spoiler icon" in RED
After a while it seems to go away. Maybe after a re-crank.
However I can NOT deploy them again and Sport Plus doesn't either, UNTIL I pull the + cable off the battery for a few mins.

The Repeat the above steps.

If I stay BELOW 78 mph after removing the + cable, I'm assuming it would Never pop up again...Even with spoilers deployed at 76-77 MPH for a long distance.

Is the tire pressure warning gone since you added air ?
Old 04-26-2021, 08:23 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Is the tire pressure warning gone since you added air ?

Yes Sir. Had been for a while, and every time It popped up since.
Old 04-26-2021, 08:46 PM
Mercuriell
Burning Brakes

Ok - so the PIWIS error codes on RDK consistent with your lowered track pressures - odd coincidence though that it occurred same day. That leaves the linear front spoiler sensor error so I guess I’d be honing in on that - I understand your reticence about pulling the front bumper - I feel the same way even though I badly want to fit radiator screens ... Could be something as simple as a corroded connector .....

Last edited by Mercuriell; 04-26-2021 at 08:48 PM.
Big Swole (04-26-2021)
Old 04-26-2021, 09:07 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Ok - so the PIWIS error codes on RDK consistent with your lowered track pressures - odd coincidence though that it occurred same day. That leaves the linear front spoiler sensor error so I guess I’d be honing in on that - I understand your reticence about pulling the front bumper - I feel the same way even though I badly want to fit radiator screens ... Could be something as simple as a corroded connector .....

Kinda what I was thinking. Just a connector that needs taken apart and cleaned and reconnected. Sure hope so.
Just need to have time to try it myself (if I knew where to look) or have an Indy / Dealer check it.

My hard decision is, do I pay and Indy to do it first and then if they can't, have to pay the Dealer to diagnose? Double the money.

Torn on what to do.
Old 04-26-2021, 09:14 PM
Mercuriell
Burning Brakes

Too many unknowns to make a rational decision - I think I’d get an indie to pull the bumper, test the pneumatics and maybe change the sensor loom (saw one s/h on eBay GBP99). Gotta be way cheaper than letting an authorised dealer run amok with your hard earned bucks. I’m getting my front spoiler replaced in couple of weeks - I’ll try and milk the tech for info on your problem.
Big Swole (04-26-2021)
Old 04-26-2021, 09:24 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Too many unknowns to make a rational decision - I think I’d get an indie to pull the bTHANK YOU!!!umper, test the pneumatics and maybe change the sensor loom (saw one s/h on eBay GBP99). Gotta be way cheaper than letting an authorised dealer run amok with your hard earned bucks. I’m getting my front spoiler replaced in couple of weeks - I’ll try and milk the tech for info on your problem.

THANK YOU!!
Old 04-27-2021, 10:53 AM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 845 Likes on 574 Posts

You can get Zunnsport screens and don't have to pull the front bumper to install them. Very easy - I even did them myself.

Quick Reply: I Stepped Up AGAIN (991.2 Turbo S)