Sponsored by: Road Spy

I Stepped Up AGAIN (991.2 Turbo S)

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2021, 02:38 PM
onfireTTS
Rennlist Member

Received 1,109 Likes on 857 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Swole
Okay, so I posted this on another thread a few days ago, but realized I need to update this thread.
Had a pressure spike due to a WOT in manual mode but forgot I was in manual mode and when it didn't shift automatically, I let off at the rev limiter.
It spiked the boost and I heard a loud "POP". Thank God I was only 2 miles From the house. It drove fine home but with no boost.
I thought I only popped a hose or something. Turns out the Factory Y-pipe SUCKS and will split at the seems. Have a look

Long story short, I've been in a very tough and stressful Emergency Vehicle Driver Instructor class the last two weeks and haven't had time to do anything with it.
I did graduate the class thank Goodness, even though they have a 60% failure rate of this class. We started with 19 people and only graduated 9 people.

Now, I'm trying to decide to just go back to the factory Y-pipe (which I have one enroute, thanks to Sam by Design!! ), or to upgrade to aftermarket (IPD, do88, etc)
If I do upgrade, What brands to use and how far to upgrade??? do88 has the "Big Pack" that'll upgrade my IC's, hoses, and Y-pipe, but no Plenum.

Anybody have recommendation on what I should do and which brands to use? If so, where to get the best deals on said parts?? do88 IC's vs. like CSF IC's or others???
I'd rather have a kit that comes with new shrouds so as not to have to modify / cut my factor shrouds.

Here are the pics of the split factory Y-pipe..

I would install the stock piece coming from @SamboTT@ByDesign and be happy. You have the Tune & exhaust. Race fuel runs 6.0's. Done. I think it was a fluke. If it happens again, you and I will both be contacting @SamboTT@ByDesign for a completer IC , piping, etc upgrade. I just hit 4000 miles with Sam's tune and zero issues. I'm keeping my stock stuff unless failures become chronic....Good Luck !
The following users liked this post:
Big Swole (05-15-2021)
Old 05-15-2021, 04:26 PM
Mercuriell
Burning Brakes

Received 490 Likes on 303 Posts

Congratz on graduating the drivers course - bet you wished you had your TTS (without split y-pipe!) on some of the challenges 😎
Big Swole (05-15-2021)
Old 05-15-2021, 04:32 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Received 2,102 Likes on 1,324 Posts

Originally Posted by Mercuriell
Congratz on graduating the drivers course - bet you wished you had your TTS (without split y-pipe!) on some of the challenges 😎
Thank you!!

Without a Doubt!!!! lol

I did get permission to drive down and take some laps on the Big Track though. Will kinda be link having a free track to test on when I want. Only 1.5 hrs. away.

Will just have to be careful. Decent run off but don't want to chance anything crazy.
Old 05-15-2021, 04:37 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

I want to add by the way. To get my car to the shop or a buddies house (lot more room and tools) if I decide to do an upgrade / plugs / & air filter myself, I was able to JB Weld the blown cap back on the car.

Unfortunately, it as tight in there and I wasn't able to get it completely sealed. I just took the car for a ride. It was able to hold 10 psi of boost (Not going to push it further) and ran just fine, however I could hear a slight "Hiss" back there, so I know I do not have a perfect seal. I just wanted to close it off to be able to move the car without towing it somewhere.

Once I get the Y-pipe and / or upgraded parts (along with plugs and filter), I'll drive It over to my buddies and we'll knock it all out.

I'll post the short vid I shot of the JB Weld job. Have to upload it real quick.
Old 05-15-2021, 04:49 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Old 05-15-2021, 04:59 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,025 Likes on 3,062 Posts

As good a bush fix as I have ever seen; I hope it holds together...
Big Swole (05-15-2021)
Old 05-15-2021, 05:31 PM
Pb Pedis
Rennlist Member

Received 1,034 Likes on 653 Posts

That is just completely bizarre! I don’t think I’ve ever read about anyone’s Y-pipe splitting open like that! On the other hand, I would use this as an opportunity to upgrade to some aftermarket parts. From what I can tell, the Y-pipe and Plenum upgrades seem to have mixed feedback on whether they do or do not improve performance. But, I’m planning on doing these upgrades anyway. The DO88 Big pack seems like a great bargain, and you can get their plenum too when it’s back in stock.

As for which is better: DO88 or IPD? The times I have asked this question, the feedback I get is they are about the same although the DO88 products are less expensive. It’s hard to argue with lower price and similar performance, however, I am easily tricked. Sam and several others seem to swear by IPD products so I might yield to what appears to be more effective marketing and spend extra money on the IPD parts myself. Again, I’m the guy distracted by shiny objects so you may want to ignore this post.
Big Swole (05-15-2021)
Old 05-15-2021, 06:00 PM
vrybad
Rennlist Member

Received 435 Likes on 328 Posts

Originally Posted by Pb Pedis
That is just completely bizarre! I don’t think I’ve ever read about anyone’s Y-pipe splitting open like that! On the other hand, I would use this as an opportunity to upgrade to some aftermarket parts. From what I can tell, the Y-pipe and Plenum upgrades seem to have mixed feedback on whether they do or do not improve performance. But, I’m planning on doing these upgrades anyway. The DO88 Big pack seems like a great bargain, and you can get their plenum too when it’s back in stock.

As for which is better: DO88 or IPD? The times I have asked this question, the feedback I get is they are about the same although the DO88 products are less expensive. It’s hard to argue with lower price and similar performance, however, I am easily tricked. Sam and several others seem to swear by IPD products so I might yield to what appears to be more effective marketing and spend extra money on the IPD parts myself. Again, I’m the guy distracted by shiny objects so you may want to ignore this post.
My understanding is that the plenum/y-pipe upgrades are usually a good idea once you start pushing the boost as they can split like Dave's did.
Even the intakes can be susceptible to breakage.
Not saying it is expected but can be a possibility.
Big Swole (05-15-2021)
Old 05-15-2021, 09:58 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Pb Pedis

Just my luck to have something happen weird and not normal. lol

Yes, I think at a minimum, I'll eventually do a metal Y-pipe of some brand. do88 stuff does seem nice, but then again IPD does as well.

Sam seems to like both brands. He deals in either brand I think.

I too am like you when it comes to "shiny" things and being swayed easily. Hence me trying to take my time and make a good educated decision before going forward.
Only problem is, I can't really enjoy my car until l decide one path (Just replace with stock Y-pipe) or Aftermarket stuff / full kit (I'll need to order and receive parts before I can move forward with repairs).
Old 05-15-2021, 11:47 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Well look what I found. Seems my stock y-pipe failure isn't so uncommon.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-turb...ttle-body.html
Old 05-27-2021, 12:36 AM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Hasn't anyone done a DIY thread on the 991 Turbo / Turbo S??? I thought I saw one one time but can't seem to find it. Only the reg. 991.

We dug into mine today and we can not believe how tight it is to get the coil / plug out on the drivers side Rear most hole! This was after we figured out that the IC's had to be removed also.

Anybody have a clue how you get it out of there?? Remove the Turbo? Exhaust? or just the turbo heat shield?? Will it move past at that point??

That turbo hanger is the main thing in the way.

Any other info that'll help us would greatly be appreciated.

Old 05-27-2021, 12:40 AM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Also found out that the original / previous owner replaced the stock air filter with a BMC filter and also had Porsche of Houston install Champion FORGE Diverter Valves. Nice to know I have a couple extra mods for free.

Fixing my Y-pipe issue while it's apart also.

Old 05-27-2021, 08:18 AM
Pb Pedis
Rennlist Member

Received 1,034 Likes on 653 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Swole
Also found out that the original / previous owner replaced the stock air filter with a BMC filter and also had Porsche of Houston install Champion FORGE Diverter Valves. Nice to know I have a couple extra mods for free.....Fixing my Y-pipe issue while it's apart also.
That is so awesome...like finding free money in the car! Reminds of another thread where the guy found out his car had 68mm turbos already installed!

How are you going to fix your Y-pipe? Replacement/upgrade?
Big Swole (05-27-2021)
Old 05-27-2021, 08:43 AM
cosmo1
Pro

Received 123 Likes on 78 Posts

Been running the do88 Y-Pipe and Inlets for several months now with zero issues. Half the cost of the other brand and well made..
Big Swole (05-27-2021)
Old 05-27-2021, 09:13 AM
vrybad
Rennlist Member

Received 435 Likes on 328 Posts

^^^do88 makes nice stuff...
Big Swole (05-27-2021)

Quick Reply: I Stepped Up AGAIN (991.2 Turbo S)