Sponsored by: Road Spy

I Stepped Up AGAIN (991.2 Turbo S)

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2021, 12:15 PM
991TurboTim
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by 99Gdzra
That’s weird. I haven’t heard of a software update and I’m at my Porsche dealer all the time. Wonder if it’s a recent or very early update? Can’t they verify your current software and see if it’s current?
Does anyone know if there is a software update for a 991.1?

The following users liked this post:
Big Swole (05-04-2021)
Old 05-04-2021, 09:13 AM
991TurboTim
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by 991TurboTim
Does anyone know if there is a software update for a 991.1?
Found out from GIAC the answer is "no" in case anyone else might be interested.
Big Swole (05-04-2021)
Old 05-04-2021, 12:19 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Received 2,102 Likes on 1,324 Posts

Thanks for posting. I guess they're not working on updates for the .1's anymore.

I know GIAC is still working on tweaks for the .2's still.
Old 05-08-2021, 09:13 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Not much interesting with my TTS lately, minus the blown stock y pipe (I posted pics in the "What did you do to your 991 Turbo Today" thread"

Been in EVOC Driver Instructor two week class all last week. One more week to go. Hope I make it. They have a 60 % Failure rate in this class. We started with 21 and now down to only 10 left after yesterday's Challenge course training.

Couple of practice vids from use driving these old 200K plus mile Clapped out Crown Vics. lolol. We got to test in some slightly better 130+ k mile Chargers.

Beezupra (05-08-2021)
Old 05-09-2021, 04:57 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,805 Likes on 1,504 Posts

Shuffle steering ONLY. NO hands past 3 and 9 positions allowed.
THAT would be hard to adjust to! And the opposite of every driving coach I've seen at the track... Do they train this because of the relatively slow steering rate of cruisers?
Old 05-09-2021, 08:37 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pfbz
THAT would be hard to adjust to! And the opposite of every driving coach I've seen at the track... Do they train this because of the relatively slow steering rate of cruisers?

Very hard to get used to and no, not how I normally drive at all.

They "Claim" it's been taught for years and years (All GA State Troopers taught this way) and due to the UNSURE landscape that happens during police / emergency vehicle operation / chases, Shuffle Steering promotes minimal movements in the wheel keeps the officer from Over correcting during unexpected turns and such.

Once I got used to it, It was surprisingly easy to drive fast. However, I don't see me driving my TTS in the Mountains / Track this way.
Old 05-10-2021, 09:54 AM
Steve Cole
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

That's not the only reason you hand-shuffle.

There's this pesky explosive device in the middle of your steering wheel. If your arms are in front of it and it goes off suddenly for any reason, those arms become ballistic missiles headed directly at your face from short range.

I'm sure you can fill in the rest of the details.
Old 05-10-2021, 11:07 AM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 740 Likes on 539 Posts

Went on the track for hotlaps with Doc Bundy a few years back, who professionally raced for Porsche and other makes (won Lemans), in a pouring down torrential rain.

He drove a Cayenne Turbo around the Barber Motorsports Park at crazy speeds, 120 mph plus speeds, using around 5 and 8 hand placement with very tiny adjustments made as the car hydroplaned to keep control.....

Never have seen anything like it, but he had unbelievable control in missing wetter parts of the track ever so slightly to keep as much of the tire patches away from puddles of water and to maintain control/speed........we should have spun out that day numerous times.....

Thanks for posting these videos!!
Old 05-10-2021, 10:20 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Steve Cole
That's not the only reason you hand-shuffle.

There's this pesky explosive device in the middle of your steering wheel. If your arms are in front of it and it goes off suddenly for any reason, those arms become ballistic missiles headed directly at your face from short range.

I'm sure you can fill in the rest of the details.

Yes, this is very true! This is the main reason people got away from 10 & 2.

3 & 9 isn't as bad, but 4 & 8 or 5 & 7 are even better in this regard.

Originally Posted by abiazis
Went on the track for hotlaps with Doc Bundy a few years back, who professionally raced for Porsche and other makes (won Lemans), in a pouring down torrential rain.

He drove a Cayenne Turbo around the Barber Motorsports Park at crazy speeds, 120 mph plus speeds, using around 5 and 8 hand placement with very tiny adjustments made as the car hydroplaned to keep control.....

Never have seen anything like it, but he had unbelievable control in missing wetter parts of the track ever so slightly to keep as much of the tire patches away from puddles of water and to maintain control/speed........we should have spun out that day numerous times.....

Thanks for posting these videos!!

It was weird at first but after all week last week and mainly Friday's Test, it became way more normal feeling.

We had to Test out on the Urban Course today. It was make or Break!! This class has a 60% failure rate, so it's challenging to say the least.

Tmrw. we have to practice on the Big Track (as seen in vid 2 from above, WithOUT the cones). We have to do at least a 1:15 lap Counter Clockwise and test out tmrw.
Then do at least a 1:17 lap on Wed. Clockwise. We have to stay in our lane and can NOT touch the yellow or white lines, all while hitting ALL the apex boxes painted on track.

Y'all pray for me. They still lose people on the second week. It would suck to go home without my certificate of Driver Instructor for Emergency Vehicle operation.

Last edited by Big Swole; 05-10-2021 at 10:26 PM.
Old 05-10-2021, 10:24 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

I forgot to film the Urban Course from today. Dang.

It was a blast though. LOTS of full throttle and HARD braking, with some low and high speed corning.

Had to do a 2:02 lap to pass. I did a few 1:54's in practice, while still trying top keep it clean. I know I could drop it a few more secs. without the pressure of passing a class.
Old 05-10-2021, 11:06 PM
onfireTTS
Rennlist Member

Received 1,109 Likes on 857 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Swole
Yes, this is very true! This is the main reason people got away from 10 & 2.

3 & 9 isn't as bad, but 4 & 8 or 5 & 7 are even better in this regard.

It was weird at first but after all week last week and mainly Friday's Test, it became way more normal feeling.

We had to Test out on the Urban Course today. It was make or Break!! This class has a 60% failure rate, so it's challenging to say the least.

Tmrw. we have to practice on the Big Track (as seen in vid 2 from above, WithOUT the cones). We have to do at least a 1:15 lap Counter Clockwise and test out tmrw.
Then do at least a 1:17 lap on Wed. Clockwise. We have to stay in our lane and can NOT touch the yellow or white lines, all while hitting ALL the apex boxes painted on track.

Y'all pray for me. They still lose people on the second week. It would suck to go home without my certificate of Driver Instructor for Emergency Vehicle operation.
Man, you have pushed a PORSCHE from 60 -130mph in 6.0 seconds ! You will bust that Track's A S S
Big Swole (05-10-2021)
Old 05-11-2021, 01:21 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Big Track practice today. Old warn out Dodge Chargers.

you can absolutely not touch the yellow or the white line and must stay in your lane unless you can see down the road to cross over. You must hit five out of six Apex’s, and the back section is technically able to be used all of the track with speed approaching 105 mph before hard braking.

1:17 is the max time.

Last edited by Big Swole; 08-26-2021 at 09:09 PM.
Old 05-11-2021, 01:25 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,025 Likes on 3,062 Posts

I'm surprised they didn't give you a ticket for a broken windshield...

Looks like a ton o fun!
Old 05-11-2021, 01:42 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 2fcknfst
I'm surprised they didn't give you a ticket for a broken windshield...

Looks like a ton o fun!

lolol. Yeah that’s the GOOD car. The one we were in was broken WAY worse.

It is fun for sure but the pressure to pass is Huge!
Old 05-15-2021, 02:13 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Okay, so I posted this on another thread a few days ago, but realized I need to update this thread.
Had a pressure spike due to a WOT in manual mode but forgot I was in manual mode and when it didn't shift automatically, I let off at the rev limiter.
It spiked the boost and I heard a loud "POP". Thank God I was only 2 miles From the house. It drove fine home but with no boost.
I thought I only popped a hose or something. Turns out the Factory Y-pipe SUCKS and will split at the seems. Have a look

Long story short, I've been in a very tough and stressful Emergency Vehicle Driver Instructor class the last two weeks and haven't had time to do anything with it.
I did graduate the class thank Goodness, even though they have a 60% failure rate of this class. We started with 19 people and only graduated 9 people.

Now, I'm trying to decide to just go back to the factory Y-pipe (which I have one enroute, thanks to Sam by Design!! ), or to upgrade to aftermarket (IPD, do88, etc)
If I do upgrade, What brands to use and how far to upgrade??? do88 has the "Big Pack" that'll upgrade my IC's, hoses, and Y-pipe, but no Plenum.

Anybody have recommendation on what I should do and which brands to use? If so, where to get the best deals on said parts?? do88 IC's vs. like CSF IC's or others???
I'd rather have a kit that comes with new shrouds so as not to have to modify / cut my factor shrouds.

Here are the pics of the split factory Y-pipe..

Last edited by Big Swole; 05-15-2021 at 02:15 PM.

Quick Reply: I Stepped Up AGAIN (991.2 Turbo S)