Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

I Stepped Up AGAIN (991.2 Turbo S)

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2024, 11:56 AM
Foosh
Pro

Received 369 Likes on 253 Posts

I love seeing these cars actually used a lot.
The following users liked this post:
Big Swole (06-20-2024)
Old 06-20-2024, 12:30 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Received 2,102 Likes on 1,324 Posts

Old 06-21-2024, 11:26 AM
VaderCab
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
P.S. I recently drove my brother's 991.2 GT3 on Cup2s in the Augusta, GA area. Even though temps were in the 70's, the Cup2s scared the crap out of me, with the car getting loose on multiple occasions. We just weren't able to run them hard enough to get them very hot, which is what they need to be.

Also, be very careful about not getting caught in a heavy downpour on Cups2s. They can be terrifying.
Originally Posted by Foosh
Honestly, I think it's nearly impossible to get Cup2s hot enough on the street to ever be better than the PS4S. I think the track is the only place one can do that.

Tail of the Dragon is way too dangerous with all the blind curves to maintain the speeds necessary to do that, even if you can manage to do it on a day with minimal traffic.
Originally Posted by Big Swole
You might be right. Few friends with different cars have run them there but on the old pavement. They said it was better grip with cup 2's but minimal for the pace anyone "needs" to carry.

The new payment will be a bit slicker until properly broken in anyway.

Oh well, I just wanted some experience with them and do hope the track is where I get to find out really what they'll do. We'll see.

Thanks for the input for sure !!

David
Great stuff, guys. I just wanted to offer a different perspective. I run Cup2s on my car street and track. My car is a "daily" in the sense that I drive it pretty much everywhere (even though I work from home and don't have a daily commute). But since I do hit the track—and don't have the time or resources at the moment to mess with swapping wheels and tires for the circuit—I was looking for an solution that I could use on road and track. I was worried Cup2s, while great on track, would hold me back on the street, particularly in the rain. As it turns out, I drove to and from my first track day in the car in pouring rain. The Cup2s did fine. And they've been civil and worn well on the street, too. I should note here that I live in SoCal where the temps are generally above 50 degrees in the winter and we don't get much rain. If those factors changed, or if I was purely street driving, I would definitely avoid the Cup2s. But for anyone in warmer, drier climates looking for a reliable dual-use tire for road and track, I enthusiastically recommend the Cup2.

Last edited by VaderCab; 06-21-2024 at 11:28 AM.
Old 06-21-2024, 11:52 AM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Received 2,102 Likes on 1,324 Posts

Glad you reminded me about the Cup 2's....

I LOVED them!!! The second part of our day, we were able to carry a quicker pace and keep heat in them. There is DEFINITELY a difference in grip and feel.
Very sticky on the front end and a good bit more direct steering to them. Seems they pretty much got rid of the little bit of understeer my car had as a quick pace.
I know they will not be for every situation but for hot Summer (Low chance of rain drives), I will absolutely run the Cup 2's

Quick Reply: I Stepped Up AGAIN (991.2 Turbo S)