Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2020, 09:15 PM
Agentorange
Pro

Received 555 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by TurboS_GG
Ttz06vette’s straight weave pattern.

Agentoranges angled weave pattern.

I’m just trying to wrap my head around all this.
How did Ttz06vette’s side vents install so perfectly, with no gaps whatsoever, to Agentorange’s large gap, and broken clips??
If the next few buyers have the same issues, I’m going to have to pull out of this GB for the vents. I’ll still purchase the window diffusers.

Anyone else notice the angled weave pattern of Agentoranges vents? Ttz06vette’s weave pattern is straight, just like the GT2-RS.
i think it the camera lense distorted the carbon weave in the photo above. Here’s a photo flat on with a normal camera lense. Weave is straight.
but good eye.

also the tab was delivered intact. It broke off when I installed the carbon intake then removed it to grind down the resin in the back.

The following users liked this post:
TurboS_GG (06-28-2020)
Old 06-27-2020, 09:49 PM
TurboS_GG
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

Thanks for the clarification Agent! I’m glad to hear your weave is ok👍
How did you break your clip? Did you use grease on the clips when you installed?

As you can tell, I’m on a fact finding mission, now that there are a lot of questions and issues about this product.

Last edited by TurboS_GG; 06-27-2020 at 10:16 PM.
Old 06-27-2020, 10:54 PM
Agentorange
Pro

Thanks for the clarification Agent! I’m glad to hear your weave is ok👍
How did you break your clip? Did you use grease on the clips when you installed?

As you can tell, I’m on a fact finding mission, now that there are a lot of questions and issues about this product.
when I pulled them out to grind the resin off two of the clips broke, the top and middle. I used globs of super glue to put one back on but couldn’t find the other broken tab. They’re tiny.

i didn’t use grease cuz I was afraid that if I did then they would pop out too easy. And the oem plastic intakes didn’t have grease, or any remnants of grease.

I’ll keep answering questions but I just arrived on a fire in the pecos wilderness (NM) so I may not have cell coverage for a while.
TurboS_GG (06-28-2020)
Old 06-28-2020, 01:12 AM
TurboS_GG
Instructor

Thanks for your reply! Stay safe out there fighting the fire!!
Old 06-28-2020, 10:42 AM
Robert Linton
Race Car

Received 512 Likes on 229 Posts

Where these things made as "splashes" from existing parts or were they: (1) properly scanned from correctly (i.e., occasionally an OE part is a bit warped) fitting OE parts, (2) scans checked with CMM, (3) scans "smoothed", (4) CAD developed, (5) proper metal mold tools (a) made, (b) checked for accuracy and (c) polished, (6) test parts (a) made, (b) tested for accurate fit and (c) best layup determined and (7) a layup book created to assure consistency?
TurboS_GG (06-28-2020)
Old 06-28-2020, 11:09 AM
Nanook
Burning Brakes

Received 209 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert Linton
Where these things made as "splashes" from existing parts or were they: (1) properly scanned from correctly (i.e., occasionally an OE part is a bit warped) fitting OE parts, (2) scans checked with CMM, (3) scans "smoothed", (4) CAD developed, (5) proper metal mold tools (a) made, (b) checked for accuracy and (c) polished, (6) test parts (a) made, (b) tested for accurate fit and (c) best layup determined and (7) a layup book created to assure consistency?
Oh without a doubt most certainly
Old 06-28-2020, 12:11 PM
onfireTTS
Rennlist Member

Received 1,126 Likes on 868 Posts

I’m fine that I’ve paid in full but can not install these yet as the driver’s side will not fit flush with any amount of dremel work. I own a full shop with a flow bench, 2 lifts, etc and do not mind grinding, but the contour is too high.

I’m fine so long as @Carbonlution posts in here that a new, correct part is being shipped to me and then I will use that box to return the bad part to them.

How this flaw is handled is a make or break moment.
The following 4 users liked this post by onfireTTS:
Agentorange (06-28-2020), AnthonyGan (06-29-2020), Pb Pedis (06-28-2020), TurboS_GG (06-28-2020)
Old 06-28-2020, 01:17 PM
Ttz06vette
Rennlist Member

Received 233 Likes on 159 Posts

Ttz06vette’s straight weave pattern.

Agentoranges angled weave pattern.

I’m just trying to wrap my head around all this.
How did Ttz06vette’s side vents install so perfectly, with no gaps whatsoever, to Agentorange’s large gap, and broken clips??
If the next few buyers have the same issues, I’m going to have to pull out of this GB for the vents. I’ll still purchase the window diffusers.

Anyone else notice the angled weave pattern of Agentoranges vents? Ttz06vette’s weave pattern is straight, just like the GT2-RS.
Sorry you guys are having so much trouble with these vents. Hoping Carbonlution will make things right. Still love mine for the price.
Old 06-28-2020, 02:24 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 866 Likes on 591 Posts

Originally Posted by Ttz06vette
Sorry you guys are having so much trouble with these vents. Hoping Carbonlution will make things right. Still love mine for the price.
Tz - did yours fit perfectly?
Old 06-28-2020, 02:26 PM
TurboS_GG
Instructor

Originally Posted by onfireTTS
I’m fine that I’ve paid in full but can not install these yet as the driver’s side will not fit flush with any amount of dremel work. I own a full shop with a flow bench, 2 lifts, etc and do not mind grinding, but the contour is too high.

I’m fine so long as @Carbonlution posts in here that a new, correct part is being shipped to me and then I will use that box to return the bad part to them.

I agree! The contour looks way too high. Grinding down the amount of material needed to make these mount flush to our bodywork, might thin the top and bottom of these vents too much, potentially causing other issues.

I also agree that this is a make or break moment for Cabonlition.
The following 2 users liked this post by TurboS_GG:
AnthonyGan (06-29-2020), onfireTTS (06-28-2020)
Old 06-28-2020, 03:26 PM
Ttz06vette
Rennlist Member

Received 233 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by rodsky
Tz - did yours fit perfectly?
As you can see from my pics, I am happy with how they turned out. Maybe not perfect but no major problems with weave or large gaps. I have had other aftermarket parts fit much worse and for the money I feel like the only one who knows they may not be perfect is me. Have had many many compliments on the vents from local Porsche owners asking if they were a factory option. Just not sure if I got a better set than the rest of you.
Hope you guys get this straightened out because they are really a great looking add to our vehicles.
Old 06-28-2020, 03:34 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 866 Likes on 591 Posts

Thanks Tz - then there is hope for us. I hope Carbonlution steps up - makes it right, gets their QC under control and all's well that ends well. If not, they're not going to be successful with Porsche's with a bad reputation.
TurboS_GG (06-28-2020)
Old 06-28-2020, 03:38 PM
Agentorange
Pro

Originally Posted by onfireTTS

ABSOLUTELY! @Carbonlution please Correct this. Thanks
The following 2 users liked this post by Agentorange:
onfireTTS (06-28-2020), TurboS_GG (06-28-2020)
Old 06-28-2020, 04:44 PM
TurboS_GG
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ttz06vette
As you can see from my pics, I am happy with how they turned out. Maybe not perfect but no major problems with weave or large gaps. I have had other aftermarket parts fit much worse and for the money I feel like the only one who knows they may not be perfect is me. Have had many many compliments on the vents from local Porsche owners asking if they were a factory option. Just not sure if I got a better set than the rest of you.
Hope you guys get this straightened out because they are really a great looking add to our vehicles.
Your vent covers look like they don’t have any issues with any fit whatsoever. No gaps at all.
Your pictures gave me confidence to join this GB.

I’m wondering what changes were made during the GB manufacturing, that caused this
apparently consistent problem.
Old 06-28-2020, 06:20 PM
Robert Linton
Race Car

Received 512 Likes on 229 Posts

For what I am about to write, you will probably stone me, or at least ban me from this forum. The 991 Turbo is a great car, in engineering, in performance and in looks -- I have one. To put anything less than a perfect part on it, particularly on its exterior, is, in my opinion, not only a mistake but cheapens the car. In small quantities (i.e., less than 100 sets), the cost of these vents, including as reasonable 20% margin, should be between $1200 and $1400 each, i.e., $2400 - $2800 a set. Additionally, to do the measuring, design, engineering, make the mold tools, etc., without which you cannot produce excellent parts, is likely an upfront investment of $12,000 - $15,000. The vendor in this case is attempting to buy its way into a market, gambling, candidly, correctly, that most customers do not know the difference between first class quality and what, in reality, is poor -- it is more than just a poor fit, e.g., looks like resin rich pockets, bad cloth layup, etc. To be sure, you or they can, possibly, jury rig the fit, but it will never be a good part. Indeed, if an engineer handed me one of those vents, I'd take a hammer to it. I'd much rather have the black plastic vents than poorly fitting and poorly looking carbon fiber versions. If you really want a proper part, buy the Porsche vents. As to these Carbonlution things, I'd put them in the circular file.

P.S. For years people ask me why I have never sold parts to retail customers? The answer is simple, most customers do not know the difference between outstanding and, if they are lucky, barely OK, and therefore are unwilling to pay for the former. Further, as my mother said, people's (i.e., Porsche owners) eyes are often bigger than their stomachs. Guys if you willing to spend significant funds on car as wonderful as a Porsche Turbo, this is not the time to become parsimonious, especially when a relatively small amount would buy glory.
Steve 96C4S (08-15-2020)

Quick Reply: RS style Carbon side vent inlet scoop group buy