Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

RS style Carbon side vent inlet scoop group buy

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2020, 10:09 PM
Robert Linton
Race Car

Received 512 Likes on 229 Posts

P. S. To the second to last person who posted, I have had cars that were 100% OE and cars that were not, but for those that were not, everything that I changed was better than OE.
Old 06-28-2020, 10:12 PM
Robert Linton
Race Car

P. P. S. For "Rodsky", nothing against bling, just prefer good bling and these parts are just not.
Old 06-28-2020, 10:53 PM
Agentorange
Pro

Received 555 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert Linton
P. S. To the second to last person who posted, I have had cars that were 100% OE and cars that were not, but for those that were not, everything that I changed was better than OE.
exactly the point. I was under the impression these were equivalent or better than OE. That’s why many are surprised, including me. I don’t think anyone signed up for the group buy expecting an inferior product.
The following 3 users liked this post by Agentorange:
AnthonyGan (06-29-2020), onfireTTS (06-28-2020), TurboS_GG (06-29-2020)
Old 06-28-2020, 11:26 PM
Robert Linton
Race Car

In fairness to the vendor, at the price you paid, inferior is all you could have gotten unless the vendor was prepared to take a loss. For the vendor to make an adequate return and provide an OE quality product, including the upfront costs, the retail price would need to have tripled.
Old 06-28-2020, 11:39 PM
Ttz06vette
Rennlist Member

Received 233 Likes on 159 Posts

Troll just trying to yank our chains. Thought you were out of this thread?
Old 06-29-2020, 02:39 AM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 866 Likes on 591 Posts

In fairness to the vendor, at the price you paid, inferior is all you could have gotten unless the vendor was prepared to take a loss. For the vendor to make an adequate return and provide an OE quality product, including the upfront costs, the retail price would need to have tripled.
P.P.P.P.S.. Mr. Linton, you’re still here. Did your account get hacked? In fairness to your security software, it must be freeware. Because if you peruse 3 posts up, you said you were out. Yet you’re still here. Although, it’s obviously not you as you indicated otherwise. If you pm me, I can suggest software that’s authentic and OEM that will protect you from future hacking attacks. But it will cost you. In fairness to the freeware, you could not have expected protection at such a low price when they are evil villains willing to exploit your exposed account.

on the bright side our vents are 375 grams lighter than plastic OEM ones. I’m told that (Despite the driver side gap), this will reduce my N ring time by up to a 3/4 of a second.
The following 2 users liked this post by rodsky:
Agentorange (06-29-2020), TurboS_GG (06-29-2020)
Old 06-29-2020, 04:04 AM
IMI A
Banned

Received 259 Likes on 155 Posts

For what I am about to write, you will probably stone me, or at least ban me from this forum. The 991 Turbo is a great car, in engineering, in performance and in looks -- I have one. To put anything less than a perfect part on it, particularly on its exterior, is, in my opinion, not only a mistake but cheapens the car. In small quantities (i.e., less than 100 sets), the cost of these vents, including as reasonable 20% margin, should be between $1200 and $1400 each, i.e., $2400 - $2800 a set. Additionally, to do the measuring, design, engineering, make the mold tools, etc., without which you cannot produce excellent parts, is likely an upfront investment of $12,000 - $15,000. The vendor in this case is attempting to buy its way into a market, gambling, candidly, correctly, that most customers do not know the difference between first class quality and what, in reality, is poor -- it is more than just a poor fit, e.g., looks like resin rich pockets, bad cloth layup, etc. To be sure, you or they can, possibly, jury rig the fit, but it will never be a good part. Indeed, if an engineer handed me one of those vents, I'd take a hammer to it. I'd much rather have the black plastic vents than poorly fitting and poorly looking carbon fiber versions. If you really want a proper part, buy the Porsche vents. As to these Carbonlution things, I'd put them in the circular file.

P.S. For years people ask me why I have never sold parts to retail customers? The answer is simple, most customers do not know the difference between outstanding and, if they are lucky, barely OK, and therefore are unwilling to pay for the former. Further, as my mother said, people's (i.e., Porsche owners) eyes are often bigger than their stomachs. Guys if you willing to spend significant funds on car as wonderful as a Porsche Turbo, this is not the time to become parsimonious, especially when a relatively small amount would buy glory.
All correct but I think with carbon the first thing you have to appreciate is its just jewellery. It doesn't make the car go faster which is why it makes me laugh when enthusiasts stick GT2 RS bonnet on his or her 991 turbo thinking to will make them go faster. It won't. Its decorative. The real lightweight carbon benefits come from having a carbon tub. Now whether you want fake Rolex or real Rolex up to you. Its hardly going to harm the car. I sent a private message to Carbonation early on saying QC needs to improve. Even the first set I saw were not perfect with weave a bit wonky and some white spots in resin. They're in the carbon business so should hopefully be able to improve the product. Bad luck those in the first batch I'm sure these guys will fix the issues and send new parts out immediately without a quibble. I'm happy for my set to go to whoever has received defective parts but this shows the issues with proto typing. I can't believe they were not checked in advance.
The following users liked this post:
TurboS_GG (06-29-2020)
Old 06-29-2020, 07:40 AM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,350 Likes on 760 Posts

Carbon is tricky due to all the hand work required. I'm sure Carbonlution will work with you all to get a proper fix.
I've bought a lot of carbon pieces from DB Carbon. Never liked their prices but when I received pieces for an interior in a previous car they slid right into place like they came from the factory. On my TTS I bought a full carbon rear valance from them, again hated the price, but fit and finish perfect and last Christmas treated myself to an all carbon PDK shift **** with GT Silver lettering. Again perfect.
This is a new venture and with that comes some adjusting, as long as Carbonlution works out a resolution it should work out great. Good luck to everyone that purchased.
TurboS_GG (06-29-2020)
Old 06-29-2020, 12:14 PM
onfireTTS
Rennlist Member

Received 1,126 Likes on 868 Posts

Is Agentorange and me the only 2 sets that have been received ? If so, that should make it easy for @Carbonlution to send us a correct driver side part and then we can return the bad part in their box.
TurboS_GG (06-29-2020)
Old 06-29-2020, 12:42 PM
Agentorange
Pro

Received 555 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by rodsky
P.P.P.P.S.. Mr. Linton, you’re still here. Did your account get hacked? In fairness to your security software, it must be freeware. Because if you peruse 3 posts up, you said you were out. Yet you’re still here. Although, it’s obviously not you as you indicated otherwise. If you pm me, I can suggest software that’s authentic and OEM that will protect you from future hacking attacks. But it will cost you. In fairness to the freeware, you could not have expected protection at such a low price when they are evil villains willing to exploit your exposed account.

on the bright side our vents are 375 grams lighter than plastic OEM ones. I’m told that (Despite the driver side gap), this will reduce my N ring time by up to a 3/4 of a second.
this made my day hahaha!
Old 06-29-2020, 01:39 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 866 Likes on 591 Posts

Originally Posted by Agentorange
this made my day hahaha!
Thanks Agent - Hey we all need a chuckle in these trying times. I will admit that i wrote that post after a couple glasses of a very nice Santa Barbara Pinot Noir, so the creative juices were "amplified". I'm sure Mr. Linton (I am not sure I am comfortable addressing him by his first name yet) meant well. So its all in good fun
Agentorange (06-29-2020)
Old 06-29-2020, 01:43 PM
onfireTTS
Rennlist Member

Carbonlution checked in at 10:24am today but no comments in this thread. Hmmmmm ?
Old 06-29-2020, 02:09 PM
Carbonlution
Former Vendor

Received 53 Likes on 29 Posts

We are group of car enthusiast (especially Porsche) just like many of you, we create these parts partially out of passion and it makes us happy to see our customers put our products on their car and happy with what they buy, but if there are any issues we will also try our best to make it right. We accept any criticisms as much as we appreciate good words because there is always room for improvement. We understand a lot of you are worried about the gap issue on the driver side and we are currently fixing this issue so the next batch won't have the same issue as some might have experienced and even with guys who have received the vents if you have the same issue please let us know we will take care of that for you as well as we mentioned in the previous reply.
The following 2 users liked this post by Carbonlution:
Redlinerobert (06-29-2020), TurboS_GG (06-29-2020)
Old 06-29-2020, 02:29 PM
onfireTTS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Carbonlution
We are group of car enthusiast (especially Porsche) just like many of you, we create these parts partially out of passion and it makes us happy to see our customers put our products on their car and happy with what they buy, but if there are any issues we will also try our best to make it right. We accept any criticisms as much as we appreciate good words because there is always room for improvement. We understand a lot of you are worried about the gap issue on the driver side and we are currently fixing this issue so the next batch won't have the same issue as some might have experienced and even with guys who have received the vents if you have the same issue please let us know we will take care of that for you as well as we mentioned in the previous reply.
Excellent response.

Looking forward to the new vent !
TurboS_GG (06-29-2020)
Old 06-29-2020, 04:47 PM
TurboS_GG
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

Thanks for the update Carbonlution.
I think I can speak for all of us in the GB, when I say, that we want you to succeed, and knock this GB out of the park!!
And, I’m sure others here will agree, we have more than a few TT & TTS friends interested in buying these CF side vents, but want to see these installed on our cars before pulling the trigger.

Quick Reply: RS style Carbon side vent inlet scoop group buy