Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2017, 01:14 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
Questions for guys here?

1. Ok for dealers to do ADM?

2. Ok for a buyer to by at MSRP just to flip shortly afterwards?

3. Ok for Porsche to produce in limited numbers?
My dealer says they never charge over MSRP, which I respect a lot.

On the other hand, I kinda hope some rando off the street that hasn't bought from them and taken their cars in to them for service for years isn't on the same waitlist as I am. Charge ADM for the randos!

I guess in the end it's just me being selfish so it's a bit hard to fault dealers for being selfish too.

There's a solution #4 that you haven't thought about: make worse cars so they aren't in such high demand.
Old 06-03-2017, 01:36 PM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes.....let's just have them make the GT products very undersirable! It will solve all issues (except really solve none). With many on all forums, Porsche feels they are always on brink of screwing up the cars anyways some of which they can't control, increasing weight, turbos, NA, emissions, safety regs., size, price, comfort, tranny, with wing, without wing, etc. lots of variables to mess up. Based on recent comments about German car companies.......we might have GT3 base price be $250k soon so those that think it's as simple as raising the prices be careful what you wish for ha ha
Old 06-03-2017, 01:40 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

But how does the rando become the long time customer? Especially for young guys. I had ordered a 2005 997 -- nothing special, in fact my spec was a one option car. I was on the list for two years. I placed the order when I was 24. I was fine with the launch cars and the good customers getting ahead of me, but then I was basically told buy a loaded S so we can make more money or we are not selling you a car. I was like no, I don't want an S, I want a white over blue C2 MT and a fire extinguisher and I don't want the alphabet soup or even floormats. They were like "sorry," we will sell your car to someone else. I got my deposit back from the manager (which took some doing which I thought was absurd), went to another brand (lotus), and have never set foot in that dealer again except to **** with them during the depths of the recession by making super low ball offers on cars.

Anyway, the other dealer is much better. You wait on the list, you get what you want, you pay MSRP.
Old 06-03-2017, 01:58 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 196 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by sccchiii
Yes.....let's just have them make the GT products very undersirable! It will solve all issues (except really solve none). With many on all forums, Porsche feels they are always on brink of screwing up the cars anyways some of which they can't control, increasing weight, turbos, NA, emissions, safety regs., size, price, comfort, tranny, with wing, without wing, etc. lots of variables to mess up. Based on recent comments about German car companies.......we might have GT3 base price be $250k soon so those that think it's as simple as raising the prices be careful what you wish for ha ha
When I reference that Porsche is building desirable cars it was meant as a compliment AND NOT AS A COMPLIANT! It's a good problem to have that there are more people than cars available. My point is all these complaints about Flippers, limited production and greedy dealers are nothing more than noise.

Porsche built a damn good car. Period. End of story.
Old 06-03-2017, 03:05 PM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick
When I reference that Porsche is building desirable cars it was meant as a compliment AND NOT AS A COMPLIANT! It's a good problem to have that there are more people than cars available. My point is all these complaints about Flippers, limited production and greedy dealers are nothing more than noise.

Porsche built a damn good car. Period. End of story.

we agree.....don't mind my comments, a horrible attempt by me to be sarcastic.
Old 06-03-2017, 03:23 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
Questions for guys here?

Isn't #1 meant to avoid #2? Dealers point of view, if anyone is going to profit its them. Why should it be Joe Blow Flipper?

Isn't #3 the real source of the issue? Without that you'd have no #1 and #2.

How do you have a market where there are no ADM's, no incentive to flip for any financial gain, and everyone that wants a car gets one?

There's only one solution right? Who controls that? Pretty obvious no? Porsche is threatening to crack down on an issue they're responsible for?? They say one thing but practice another. Those of you who fall for it are suckers. Telling enthusiasts what they want to hear but still rewarding themselves and their dealers.

Think logically here about this and not emotionally.

Best solution is to not get worked up and don't reward those with your business that don't value it. Whether a company, retailer, etc...
For me, it's:

1. Yes, it's a business with significant capital invested. If they put a single trade above the value of their franchise, then so be it.

2. Yes, I'm against anyone telling me what I can and can't do with things I own. I have no issue signing 12 month buyback options with dealers and have in the past.

3. Yes, they need something to reward people that support the business/brand. If everyone just bought GT cars only both Porsche and dealers would be bankrupt. I have no issue for people that took the risk on the 918 being rewarded with the 911R etc - I didn't want to take the risk for a project that will feed tech into the other cars for years to come.

Far too much whining on this board, Dealers are businesses, Porsche is a business and customers are adults. If you don't want to play the game, go buy something else - life is too short to have a hobby that makes you upset.
Old 06-03-2017, 04:07 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by NateOZ
For me, it's:

1. Yes, it's a business with significant capital invested. If they put a single trade above the value of their franchise, then so be it.

2. Yes, I'm against anyone telling me what I can and can't do with things I own. I have no issue signing 12 month buyback options with dealers and have in the past.

3. Yes, they need something to reward people that support the business/brand. If everyone just bought GT cars only both Porsche and dealers would be bankrupt. I have no issue for people that took the risk on the 918 being rewarded with the 911R etc - I didn't want to take the risk for a project that will feed tech into the other cars for years to come.

Far too much whining on this board, Dealers are businesses, Porsche is a business and customers are adults. If you don't want to play the game, go buy something else - life is too short to have a hobby that makes you upset.
Buying these cars is NOT a hobby.
Driving them is.
Old 06-03-2017, 04:24 PM
Bartleby7334
Racer

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
Questions for guys here?

Isn't #1 meant to avoid #2? Dealers point of view, if anyone is going to profit its them. Why should it be Joe Blow Flipper?

Isn't #3 the real source of the issue? Without that you'd have no #1 and #2.

How do you have a market where there are no ADM's, no incentive to flip for any financial gain, and everyone that wants a car gets one?

There's only one solution right? Who controls that? Pretty obvious no? Porsche is threatening to crack down on an issue they're responsible for?? They say one thing but practice another. Those of you who fall for it are suckers. Telling enthusiasts what they want to hear but still rewarding themselves and their dealers.

Think logically here about this and not emotionally.

Best solution is to not get worked up and don't reward those with your business that don't value it. Whether a company, retailer, etc...
Logically:

Porsche invents stuff and builds stuff. Quality stuff that is very desirable, but expensive to actually create. Superstar stuff.

This stuff has some of the qualities of 'currency' --
it doesn't cost a lot to store, it doesn't deteriorate really quickly, others are willing to exchange things of value (cash, credit, trade) for it, etc, etc. Its a store of value. That has a LOT of value.

Dealers are market makers... they keep inventory in stock to make a liquid market FOR NEW and CPO USED when the broader market lacks a buyer for a seller or a seller for a buyer. They set a spread between bid and ask. Whether ask is MSRP for a 718, or is ADM for a GT3. Factory authorized dealers are more than simple brokers. A smoothly function market should be the long-term goal. Short term profiteering is always a temptation, but we like to think Porsche will keep a rein on this.

Consumers and your local car lot dominate the lower end out of warantty market.
The beat up Porsches that haven't been well maintained and the pampered antiques that have been treasured. Oh, and some speculators.

Its a complex system that turns cars into cash for Porsche but only if they create.
When everybody else profits on 'new' or 'new but registered in montana for six months to create the illusion of used' its taking advantage of Porsche's hard work and willingness to take risks.

Last edited by Bartleby7334; 06-03-2017 at 04:25 PM. Reason: edited last line to make more sense
Old 06-03-2017, 04:40 PM
Leica 993
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If Porsche doesn't want the money, other people will take it. Flippers should be admired, celebrated and congratulated for doing something Porsche is unwilling to do, which is to provide a product at the equilibrium price based on willingness to pay. "Flippers" are offering you a car where Porsche would not. The hostility is misdirected.
Old 06-03-2017, 04:55 PM
Bartleby7334
Racer

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Houndstooth
If Porsche doesn't want the money, other people will take it. Flippers should be admired, celebrated and congratulated for doing something Porsche is unwilling to do, which is to provide a product at the equilibrium price based on willingness to pay. "Flippers" are offering you a car where Porsche would not. The hostility is misdirected.
Porsche wouldn't sell to you directly because you might back out after ordering a car,leaving them stuck.

The Dealer takes that risk by taking each ordered vehicle off the Factory's hands after its built and guaranteeing payment to Porshe

The minute this bubble bursts, those 'flippers' who have speculated on margin by buying a slot will back out and stiff the dealers who enabled them.

But until that day, I hear you say: YAY CAPITALISM!

Last edited by Bartleby7334; 06-03-2017 at 04:57 PM. Reason: Finished missing word.
Old 06-03-2017, 06:12 PM
Benedict14
Burning Brakes

Received 291 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by sccchiii
on recent comments about German car companies.......we might have GT3 base price be $250k ...
Welcome to Australia (etc.). The difference for us however is this; if this occurs, it will be a decision based largely upon spite and ignorance. Merkel was quoted directly as saying that she was asked eleven times by the same person if we (the U.S.) could negotiate directly with Germany on trade. She explained each time that the answer was no, and the reasons for it. She explained that this wasn't a case of not taking no for an answer. It was a lack of knowledge, insight and understanding. Spite and ignorance are poor reasons upon which to base trade policies.

More Importantly, it's really going to **** me off if I can't afford a Porsche
Old 06-03-2017, 09:46 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,744 Likes on 5,127 Posts

For me, it's:

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Buying these cars is NOT a hobby.
Driving them is.
With all due respect, I don't think anyone here has any right to tell others how to spend their money -- regardless of whether that money is spent on a hobby, or buying an appliance of some sort that is used to drive around in circles with.
Old 06-03-2017, 09:49 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,872 Likes on 1,902 Posts

If you don't want to play the game, go buy something else - life is too short to have a hobby that makes you upset.
100 percent agree, which is what I intend to do if I don't get an allocation by early next year. Buy something else and take all of my other car business elsewhere in the future as well. Would rather not do that, but if it comes to that, so be it.
Old 06-03-2017, 09:54 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,872 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by Leica 993
Agree to a point, however, in a market this illiquid and with such wide bid/ask spreads, the unintended consequence is that too many cars sit undriven in garages collecting dust. A flipper that puts the car out there in an auction format and gets the best market price would be great. The one that prices it $75k over market and just socks the car away in a garage somewhere and sits on it because it's a rounding error on their net worth is a parasite and is not only screwing it up for people who want a car to drive, they're actually doing damage to Porsche's business when people like us leave the brand. Porsche should have a vested interest in trying to stop that behavior.
Old 06-03-2017, 10:08 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,099 Likes on 1,011 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
With all due respect, I don't think anyone here has any right to tell others how to spend their money -- regardless of whether that money is spent on a hobby, or buying an appliance of some sort that is used to drive around in circles with.
Ditto, if they drive it or wax it daily they paid for it. We're not judges how people enjoy their cars. These comments have become quite silly.

Quick Reply: Porsche Cracking Down on Flippers?