Sponsored by:

Porsche Cracking Down on Flippers?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2017, 08:28 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,781 Likes on 1,084 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
I hate to break it to you, but it's the CAR that is special. Not you.

I don't understand the whole 'exclusivity' thing. Never did. Never will.

Some of us just want to pound the hell out of the on the race track and then repeat the process when the next model comes out. I don't care how many other people have the car and who sees me in the car. I really don't.
Yup. I collect memories. Not material crap.

#trackday #destroyingcollectibles

Old 05-27-2017, 08:46 PM
Chicago Mike
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hate to break it to you, but it's the CAR that is special. Not you.

I don't understand the whole 'exclusivity' thing. Never did. Never will.

Some of us just want to pound the hell out of the on the race track and then repeat the process when the next model comes out. I don't care how many other people have the car and who sees me in the car. I really don't.
I completely understand. BUT, My point is if a dealer/company is treating you poorly and giving you the run around why would you continue to spend your money with them? If my Porsche dealer treated me poorly and I had to venture to X,Y, and Z dealers to be added to a long list of others hoping to get a GT car, then why would I continue to buy from them? Life is about relationships/memories, material things come and go.
Old 05-27-2017, 08:49 PM
AMG USA
Premium Dealer
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Having more demand than supply is Ferrari's business model. It's what Ezno set up from the beginning. Is it, or should it be Porsche's model too? If Porsche knew that 911R's would trade at $500k and 918's at $1.5m+, would they have raised the MSRP and made more money? Should they have? Or does the after market mark ups help the brand?

I think they do it on purpose. It's good for the brand.
Old 05-27-2017, 08:50 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Chicago Mike
I completely understand. BUT, My point is if a dealer/company is treating you poorly and giving you the run around why would you continue to spend your money with them? If my Porsche dealer treated me poorly and I had to venture to X,Y, and Z dealers to be added to a long list of others hoping to get a GT car, then why would I continue to buy from them? Life is about relationships/memories, material things come and go.
I see what you are saying.

Some of us are loyal to the brand, but the dealers don't care. However, Porsche does. Therein lies the conflict.

The problem really lies with the dealers. Why do you think Porsche tried to open a direct sales dealership years ago? It was for the same reason we are having problems with now.
Old 05-27-2017, 08:51 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,984 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
Yup. I collect memories. Not material crap.

#trackday #destroyingcollectibles

Yup, tracking on a long weekend and getting away from the hustle...gotta love it.
Old 05-27-2017, 09:02 PM
Chicago Mike
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I see what you are saying.

Some of us are loyal to the brand, but the dealers don't care. However, Porsche does. Therein lies the conflict.

The problem really lies with the dealers. Why do you think Porsche tried to open a direct sales dealership years ago? It was for the same reason we are having problems with now.
I agree, that's the part that sucks. I like my sales guy, but the management at my dealership is very greedy. I don't appreciate that, and to be honest I would be 100% for a direct sales dealership. Ferrari seems to have a decent set up going that mimics the direct dealership model. Ferrari NOT the dealer ultimately determines who gets most of their exclusive cars. Sure, dealer loyalty matters somewhat, but in the end Ferrari is usually the ultimate judge.
Old 05-27-2017, 09:10 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by mcp486
If only it were that easy...

My dealer knows, but that doesn't really increase my confidence.

I'm laid back. It doesn't need the first one...I don't really care if it takes 12-18 months. I just want to know I'll be able to get one without getting completely boned on price, or trade-in value.
You're not trusting your dealer. Once you have a relationship established, a good dealer will not "bone" on price or trade in value. They see it has a mutually beneficial arrangement. They have a profit motive and in return they provide accessibility to allocations. My dealer trusts me to return my cars to him or at least to give him the first right of refusal. I trust him not to take advantage of me when we negotiate trade in or price.

BTW, being laid back is exactly where you will end up when it comes to allocations. They need to know and know often what you want but NOT IN A DEMANDING WAY.

Joe, both you and the car are special if you have a relationship. I think its great you drive the **** out of your cars and that is the way it should be. I only have room for one GT car (two car garage) and I drive mine but not on a track. It's the only car I drive until I decide to turn it in. When the next and greatest Porsche is about to be introduced, I am ready to turn my car in. I don't get attached to cars. They are disposable and I dispose often.
Old 05-27-2017, 09:52 PM
mcp486
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last edited by mcp486; 01-26-2018 at 07:03 PM.
Old 05-27-2017, 10:04 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

You're right...I'm not trusting them. Should I trust them after they called to offer me a 991.2 GT3 allocation for $30K ADM?

When I say "laid back," I just mean I'm personable, and not rude or demanding. It doesn't mean I lack persistence...they know that I want to swap my car for a 991.2.

Sure, I could go to another dealer...but I'm either going to be at the very bottom of the list, or endure the same BS. In that case, I'm not really punishing my dealer. They will still sell the car to someone at a ridiculous markup, and I'll get the privilege of driving a three hour round trip for service to be in the same situation.

Hey, look on the bright side. At least I know I can get whatever GT car I want...I'll just have to pay dearly!
What area of the country do you live in?
Old 05-27-2017, 10:20 PM
mcp486
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last edited by mcp486; 01-26-2018 at 07:02 PM.
Old 05-27-2017, 10:40 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

I'm in the Southeast.

It's not my intention to come on here and slam my dealer. I find most of the staff extremely personable, and my interactions are positive. You don't have to wait three weeks for a service appointment. I don't entirely blame them for the situation, a lot of it is market driven...I know I'm not the only one in this boat.

I'm hoping Porsche becomes a bit more involved in the allocation process to make sure repeat customers and enthusiasts are able to get allocations at MSRP. While I understand it's in Porsche's best interest to have perceived exclusivity and not flood the market, leaving your loyal customers hanging isn't an ideal business practice. I don't care if they schedule allocations two years out, just let your customers know they'll be taken care of.
Oh interesting, I thought you were out west where there are only a few good guy dealers left. You know, the dealer makes the choice of charging over for their GT cars and it's a shame that they are doing that to good local customers.
Old 05-27-2017, 10:49 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,628 Likes on 755 Posts

Just when I was thinking about flipping my RS soon....
Old 05-27-2017, 10:51 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,869 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick
From the same dealer or did you shop price? If I am buying 3 cars from the same dealer in the past 30 months I would be all over the sale manager letting him know I want the next hot Porsche GT to be built. It's a campaign to insinuate yourself into being part of the program.

Once in, I doubt you will be taking the position you're taking now.
Two of the three from the one dealer and all the servicing. The other car was purchased out of state because my dealer couldn't get me the car I wanted.

You're projecting your perspective of your situation onto the broader Porsche dealer group, and it's simply not true. There are dozens of Rennlisters who have posted about how their repeated purchases have done little to nothing to build a 'relationship' with their dealer. We'd all love for it to be so, but it's simply not reality for a large number of Porsche dealers. Personally, given how often ahole buyers bone the dealerships, cancel orders, price shop over a few dollars, use indy's for service, etc., I don't blame the dealers and I don't have a problem with it being just business. Is what it is, but it's not a 'relationship' between anything but the cars and the money.
Old 05-27-2017, 10:56 PM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 436 Likes on 262 Posts

is there somebody that have been asked overMSRP for 991.2 GT3
brave enough to say no and write it here and to PAG ?
Old 05-27-2017, 11:05 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

I have a good relationship with my dealer - only car they couldn't get me recently was the 911R. I pay MSRP or under and I don't know anyone who hasn't had a long relationship that didn't get their cars in MSRP.

My definition of a relationship might be different - but we all buy cars regularly, specifically non-GT cars. A GT buyer only wallet is easy to replace.

Quick Reply: Porsche Cracking Down on Flippers?