Sponsored by:

Porsche Cracking Down on Flippers?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2017, 02:31 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Or more importantly, anyone know what it's like to sell in 50 states, each with their own set of consumer rights and laws? Especially as it relates to financing, disclosure requirements, etc.?

That too!

Well, the good thing is we live in a free country. We can choose where or when to spend our money. Don't like the Porsche drama with these cars??

Give them the middle finger and don't play. That easy. I would never pay over MSRP for a car, and not even close to it for a used one with 2K++ miles. That's me. Too many other things important in life than worrying about having the latest car. Drive and enjoy what you have. It's cheaper and most likely just as fun.

Easy enough just to step away and say no thanks. Less stressful too.
Old 05-30-2017, 02:35 PM
RealityGT
Drifting

Received 239 Likes on 139 Posts

^BOOM! There you have it!
Old 05-30-2017, 05:30 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
That too!

Well, the good thing is we live in a free country. We can choose where or when to spend our money. Don't like the Porsche drama with these cars??

Give them the middle finger and don't play. That easy. I would never pay over MSRP for a car, and not even close to it for a used one with 2K++ miles. That's me. Too many other things important in life than worrying about having the latest car. Drive and enjoy what you have. It's cheaper and most likely just as fun.

Hmm, not so sure you would hold to that position regarding not paying over MSRP. If a .2GT3 owner took delivery in September 2017 and decided to sell it in November 2017 with 2500 miles on it for $3000 over MSRP you would reject offer? I don't think so.
Old 05-30-2017, 08:20 PM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick
Hmm, not so sure you would hold to that position regarding not paying over MSRP. If a .2GT3 owner took delivery in September 2017 and decided to sell it in November 2017 with 2500 miles on it for $3000 over MSRP you would reject offer? I don't think so.
Yes....not sure why it would be so hard? Many will not play in the over MSRP realm, its ok life goes on. As stupid as I might be I feel same. I don't need anything that bad, besides I have plenty of other cars to play with.....I'm also the one encouraging dealers if they want to mark up over msrp go for it, I think its a stupid business model long term but who am I to say whats right and wrong for them? The reality is few remember in 5 years that a store tried asking for additional dealer markup on a previous GT3 when the next new thing comes around and they are the only ones that have one and in grand scheme its really a small fraction of what PCNA will deliver this year. I've seen it happen over and over again to customers that swore they would never buy from a particular store again, then sure enough they are back because at some point most want to keep a relationship with dealer especially if no other brand tickles their whistle. Location matters also so most of the banter proves to be empty threats. Ive also seen situations where customer went to other brand to prove a point, only to come back and lose a sh*t ton of money on trade at original dealer? So I'm either lost in common sense or just not smart enough?
Old 05-30-2017, 08:25 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick
Beat a car for 2,500 miles, a build I didn't spec, and the seller takes me for a fool because he thinks he got a couple month free joyride? No thanks.

That's the ISSUE with this inflated market. The secondary market buyer isn't ready to step into the game at these prices. For over or near MSRP prices, that buyer wants a NEW car he can spec himself. They don't want hand me downs for those prices.

There's a huge group of guys that would jump into a pre-owned GT car, but would have to be $20K-$30K under MSRP.

That's how the market usually works for these cars and will happen sooner than later here.

New, or pre-owned at a nice discount.

This free ride won't go on for much longer. Stock market drops and interest rates hikes will shake off a lot of the guys quickly. Will happen sooner than later.
Old 05-30-2017, 08:30 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
Beat a car for 2,500 miles, a build I didn't spec, and the seller takes me for a fool because he thinks he got a couple month free joyride? No thanks.

That's the ISSUE with this inflated market. The secondary market buyer isn't ready to step into the game at these prices. For over or near MSRP prices, that buyer wants a NEW car he can spec himself. They don't want hand me downs for those prices.

There's a huge group of guys that would jump into a pre-owned GT car, but would have to be $20K-$30K under MSRP.

That's how the market usually works for these cars and will happen sooner than later here.

New, or pre-owned at a nice discount.

This free ride won't go on for much longer. Stock market drops and interest rates hikes will shake off a lot of the guys quickly.
Agree 100%
Old 05-30-2017, 10:27 PM
WernerE
Three Wheelin'

Received 294 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Pokerhobo
Your point was (paraphrasing) "who's going to spend millions to build a facility and hire people to work at that facility [if manufacturers sell directly to consumers]". My point is that a significant portion of profit (not gross income) comes from servicing sold vehicles and the manufacturers would not have a problem building service and delivery stores (not needing full blown dealerships that exist today).
If Porsche were allowed to sell direct, capital costs and overhead costs would likely be unchanged (rent is approx. 1-2% of total sales). Anyone thinking factories would do a better job, delivering lower costs to customers are ignoring the history of failed attempts to do so. Tesla has high rent in malls and can do so only because they've got 3 models, hardly representative of what the majors are selling. There is some inefficiency with inventory storage but improving this wouldn't produce meaningful savings with a "direct model" -- at least with current flooring rates and factory incentives.
Old 05-30-2017, 10:33 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

The 991.2 GT3 with a manual surely cracked down on flippers on 911Rs...
Old 05-30-2017, 10:43 PM
WernerE
Three Wheelin'

Received 294 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by LastMezger
The 991.2 GT3 with a manual surely cracked down on flippers on 911Rs...
The 911R prices appear to be correcting. They use to be all > $500k. Here's one with delivery miles for $450k.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...3043/overview/
Old 05-30-2017, 10:54 PM
goin2drt
Banned

Received 739 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
That too!

Yep you nailed it.
Old 05-30-2017, 10:55 PM
goin2drt
Banned

Originally Posted by WernerE
The 911R prices appear to be correcting. They use to be all > $500k. Here's one with delivery miles for $450k.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...3043/overview/
Correcting? Well I guess. They are still over double the MSRP. That needs to be a LARGE correction.
Old 05-30-2017, 11:04 PM
IrishAndy
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by goin2drt
Correcting? Well I guess. They are still over double the MSRP. That needs to be a LARGE correction.
The post .2 manual price is way down on the pre .2 manual price. It's still way above MSRP, but it's an enormous correction in anyone's book.
Old 05-30-2017, 11:08 PM
goin2drt
Banned

Originally Posted by IrishAndy
The post .2 manual price is way down on the pre .2 manual price. It's still way above MSRP, but it's an enormous correction in anyone's book.
Didn't say anything about that post. I was replying to the quote about the R correcting. From 500 down to 450 on a 200 MSRP is hardly a big correction
Old 05-30-2017, 11:30 PM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Received 349 Likes on 176 Posts

Dealers go with the winds of the market and you can't blame them for that. If customers are not bound by locality and loyalty why should dealers be bound by MSRP if the fishing is good and the big ones are biting? OTHO the collectors and speculators all think like Goldfinger who wanted to make the US gold supply radioactive so his own gold would go up in value--- got my 911R so let's blow up the factory to protect the investment. That's just fiction and internet buzz.
Old 05-30-2017, 11:34 PM
IrishAndy
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by goin2drt
Didn't say anything about that post. I was replying to the quote about the R correcting. From 500 down to 450 on a 200 MSRP is hardly a big correction
Nope same thing. R prices moving from > $700K to < $500K is a huge correction. The original MSRP isn't a factor. These cars were way higher than $500K.

Quick Reply: Porsche Cracking Down on Flippers?