Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2017, 06:21 AM
Bardman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by fxz
As demand for turbo is low why not offer a C2S with a 4.0L slightly detuned
and call it a Touring package?
This is what the GTS should be. I'd buy it.
Old 08-23-2017, 08:32 AM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Received 349 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by -eztrader-
Spoke with dealer today - he told me P is "still deciding/ working it out", and there are some hoops to jump though. Apparantly the touring is not set in stone.
My Deep Throat has been telling me exactly this for months but if true it takes the concept of "vague" to new levels of mystery given that the purported reveal is less than 30 days in the offing.
Old 08-23-2017, 02:23 PM
Tangerine
Pro

Received 124 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Surge74
I missed it, sorry.

However, insurance for rear passengers in my own car who decide to sue me is not important (for me).
The scenario people are more likely concerned with (if in the USA) is this:

You are driving along doing nothing wrong. You have a (small) friend or child in the (non-factory installed) rear seat.

There is a large impact. Front, back, side, doesn't matter. It's not your fault. Passenger in the back seat is injured fairly seriously. Again we are in the US, so a few critical surgeries, hospital stay, rehab, we're looking at $100K pretty quick.

Now the insurance company gets involved. Going over the details, they don't understand how there were people injured in the back seat in this "2 seat" car. You explain to them that you add them yourself. Added by the dealer as aftermarket? Oh no, you had them welded to the frame by a non-authorized shop. The insurance guy's eyes light up--we're going to need our mechanics to look over that work in detail.

If they can find any reason to invalidate your claim, they will. I don't know how this isn't obvious. It doesn't even matter whose fault it is--your insurance company or theirs will take this same approach.

If you don't believe me, call up an insurance company and get a quote for a GT3 and have them note on the policy that you are adding non-factory seats to the back. Maybe if you have notes on the policy they will accept it, but I imagine you're more likely to get the wrong kind of notes put there.
Old 08-23-2017, 02:33 PM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Received 349 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by Tangerine

You are driving along doing nothing wrong. You have a (small) friend or child in the (non-factory installed) rear seat.

There is a large impact. Front, back, side, doesn't matter. It's not your fault. Passenger in the back seat is injured fairly seriously. Again we are in the US, so a few critical surgeries, hospital stay, rehab, we're looking at $100K pretty quick.

Now the insurance company gets involved. Going over the details, they don't understand how there were people injured in the back seat in this "2 seat" car. You explain to them that you add them yourself. Added by the dealer as aftermarket? Oh no, you had them welded to the frame by a non-authorized shop. The insurance guy's eyes light up--we're going to need our mechanics to look over that work in detail.

If they can find any reason to invalidate your claim, they will. I don't know how this isn't obvious. It doesn't even matter whose fault it is--your insurance company or theirs will take this same approach.

If you don't believe me, call up an insurance company and get a quote for a GT3 and have them note on the policy that you are adding non-factory seats to the back. Maybe if you have notes on the policy they will accept it, but I imagine you're more likely to get the wrong kind of notes put there.
You don't need to debate facts w/ people who cannot accept factual information. There is a sticker on the back of each GT3 and GT3RS seat stating that the car is not designed for rear passengers, that's how the car is certified for sale in the US by the manufacturer w/ DOT approvals. The GTS is not available in the US with the ROW rear seat delete for the same certification reasons but in reverse. Porsche will not put the time, effort, and cost, to certify a rear seat delete option for sale in the US. Put people in the back of a GT3 at your own risk and liability, seats or no seats. Why anyone is our super litigious culture would wan to tempt financial ruin is unfathomable, but those facts also speak for themselves.
Old 08-23-2017, 02:53 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,867 Likes on 1,902 Posts

The only thing more retarded than welding rear seats into a car that wasn't designed for them is putting someone you care about in those seats and driving down the road. If one is so self centered as to not care about the safety of their friends and family, and/or is fine with opening themselves up to massive financial liability, then it should be fine. Go to it Surge.
Old 08-23-2017, 03:00 PM
Surge74
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
The only thing more retarded than welding rear seats into a car that wasn't designed for them is putting someone you care about in those seats and driving down the road. If one is so self centered as to not care about the safety of their friends and family, and/or is fine with opening themselves up to massive financial liability, then it should be fine. Go to it Surge.
"Retarded" is actually deragatory. Smarten up.

If you and Tangerine would care to read the thread from the guy who did it to his 997, he did get insurance. And he's in the US.

I don't know why this is so hard to grasp for some of you;
the belts attach via holes that are made at the factory. You use the OEM belts, torqued to spec. Nothing is "unsafe"!

What needs to be welded, or bonded, are the brackets that hold the seat back up. These do not protect you in a crash.
And welding a bracket safely is not rocket science.
Old 08-23-2017, 03:39 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

You go girl.

I'm sure how the seat attaches to the car has nothing to do with its safety in the event of a crash. And if it's good enough for an insurance agent, I'm sure it'll be fine.
Old 08-23-2017, 03:47 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 917 Posts

You gotta admit that in our litigious society, giving an insurance company a reason to deny your claim, or maybe even worse, getting some kind of involuntary manalaughter or negligence charge.. makes adding these vestigial sets a somewhat silly pursuit.

(Gentle suggestion button pressed)
Old 08-23-2017, 04:18 PM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 436 Likes on 262 Posts

Factuals
any 991 is not designed with rear passegers safety as main concern
thus rear passengers are not for your (and mine) family but i drive a SUV for that

unless you have a refillable harem indeed
Old 08-23-2017, 04:21 PM
Surge74
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

It would be best if you guys educated yourselves and actually Read the threads I posted links to. This has been done by others, including getting insurance. Including in the US.
Old 08-23-2017, 04:28 PM
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 196 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by Tangerine

Exactly.
Old 08-23-2017, 04:30 PM
RealityGT
Drifting

Received 239 Likes on 139 Posts

Marv 2.0.. jokes on us..
Old 08-23-2017, 04:35 PM
porscharu
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It would be best if you guys educated yourselves and actually Read the threads I posted links to. This has been done by others, including getting insurance. Including in the US.
Knock yourself out. Good gravy can we all move on. Put the seats in when you get the car. I won't be able to see them from my house.
Old 08-23-2017, 04:46 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Wait, someone did it and an insurance agent said it was okay. Well then, problem solved. It must be a great idea.

BTW, I can do those welds for you if need me to. Not rocket science, I hear.
Old 08-23-2017, 04:52 PM
Gretch
Range Master
Pepsie Lite
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1,235 Likes on 755 Posts

dead horse...........

closed

edit,

prevailed upon to open it back up for valuable content. Was suggested to dump rear seat mulberry bush........ will leave it....

but give it a rest, fellows......... conversation is breaking down to ad hom attacks......... you can put your minds to better subjects, I am sure.

best,

G

Quick Reply: 991.2 GT3 will come with "Touring Package" option