Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So this is truly a "911 GT" .I love it.
Old 09-13-2017, 11:33 AM
_fletch
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Lapis
these options aren't online. And AFIK, there's no comprehensive menu available either. What I do know is that you can custom tailor virtually any interior surface of the car, and all have different prices, as long as it doesn't affect actual function of the car (no wiring changes, etc). On exterior you can have wheels custom painted different colors including pin stripe on them in any color, mirrors painted, etc.
Thank you sir!
Old 09-13-2017, 12:35 PM
BrntRubber
Three Wheelin'

Received 250 Likes on 144 Posts

these options aren't online. And AFIK, there's no comprehensive menu available either. What I do know is that you can custom tailor virtually any interior surface of the car, and all have different prices, as long as it doesn't affect actual function of the car (no wiring changes, etc). On exterior you can have wheels custom painted different colors including pin stripe on them in any color, mirrors painted, etc.
Does anyone know the cost of adding dual stripes like he 911r and how much it adds to the build time?
Old 09-13-2017, 12:53 PM
manitou202
Burning Brakes

Received 408 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by BrntRubber
Does anyone know the cost of adding dual stripes like he 911r and how much it adds to the build time?
I've been told Porsche will not add 911 R stripes to any other model. So you'll have to find a local shop. They should run in the $600-$1200 range installed depending on colors etc.
Old 09-13-2017, 01:06 PM
Lapis
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 41 Posts

The side stripes are in the $1000-$1500 range to do CXX (sorry I cannot recall the exact price they said, but was in this range which I recall thinking was reasonable, actually). It is TBD whether top stripes like 911 R will be available. Initial answer I was told by porsche exclusive was NO for 991.2 GT3.

You can always do the stripes after market to match exactly, but then they won't be on the monroney, if that matters to you from a collectibility standpoint.

Another dilemma about doing stripes from factory vs. after market is if you want to wrap the car in clear PPF... It's generally recommended to install stripes on TOP of PPF, not under it, because if you install PPF over stripe decals, there will be a small air gap under the PPF at the edges of the decals. To avoid this the installers can cut out the PPF to go around the decals, but then there will be seems that will be visible on close inspection, which is also not ideal.

I suppose if you're OK with the possibility of a tiny air gap around the edges of the factory stripe decals, then best thing to do is get factory stripes and wrap over them. Then the stripes would be protected by the PPF like the rest of the paint finish, and they'd also be on monroney. But then, if for any reason you ever wanted to remove or change them, you have to remove the whole PPF. And if/when you ever remove the PPF covering the stripes, the stripes are going to peel off or get damaged in the removal process.

I'm thinking if I get factory stripes, I might just go for the ceramic pro coating instead of PPF wrapper. It can be done on the stripes too, according to my local detailer PPF installer. There's even ceramic pro coating for matte / satin color stripes if you get that finish on them. And the ceramic pro coating is a lot cheaper to do than PPF wrapper. Protction's not as thorough as PPF, of course, but it adds gloss, gleanability, and some protection.
Old 09-13-2017, 01:26 PM
BrntRubber
Three Wheelin'

The side stripes are in the $1000-$1500 range to do CXX (sorry I cannot recall the exact price they said, but was in this range which I recall thinking was reasonable, actually). It is TBD whether top stripes like 911 R will be available. Initial answer I was told by porsche exclusive was NO for 991.2 GT3.

You can always do the stripes after market to match exactly, but then they won't be on the monroney, if that matters to you from a collectibility standpoint.

Another dilemma about doing stripes from factory vs. after market is if you want to wrap the car in clear PPF... It's generally recommended to install stripes on TOP of PPF, not under it, because if you install PPF over stripe decals, there will be a small air gap under the PPF at the edges of the decals. To avoid this the installers can cut out the PPF to go around the decals, but then there will be seems that will be visible on close inspection, which is also not ideal.

I suppose if you're OK with the possibility of a tiny air gap around the edges of the factory stripe decals, then best thing to do is get factory stripes and wrap over them. Then the stripes would be protected by the PPF like the rest of the paint finish, and they'd also be on monroney. But then, if for any reason you ever wanted to remove or change them, you have to remove the whole PPF. And if/when you ever remove the PPF covering the stripes, the stripes are going to peel off or get damaged in the removal process.

I'm thinking if I get factory stripes, I might just go for the ceramic pro coating instead of PPF wrapper. It can be done on the stripes too, according to my local detailer PPF installer. There's even ceramic pro coating for matte / satin color stripes if you get that finish on them. And the ceramic pro coating is a lot cheaper to do than PPF wrapper. Protction's not as thorough as PPF, of course, but it adds gloss, gleanability, and some protection.
Thank you for a very helpful and informative response.

I have some homework to do on PPF and Ceramic pro coating. Glad I'm not the only one considering 991r type stripes.

What is monroney?

Collectibility is important to me.
Old 09-13-2017, 01:27 PM
BrntRubber
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by manitou202
I've been told Porsche will not add 911 R stripes to any other model. So you'll have to find a local shop. They should run in the $600-$1200 range installed depending on colors etc.
So the stripes are always decals and not painted on from the factory?
Old 09-13-2017, 01:30 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,248 Likes on 522 Posts

Most.

Just off the top of my head, I believe there are 5 cars with painted stripes from the factory, at least in the US.

4 of those are in Minnesota.
Old 09-13-2017, 02:36 PM
johnny2five
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

seems we are both in same boat and thinking same thing.

I also think the "black cloth" seat fabric (as opposed to houndstooth / pepita), is also a bow to R owners to visually differentiate GT3T from R. Porsche can use the excuse that GT3T is homage to '73 2.7 RS Touring (which had similar corduroy black cloth seat inserts) all they want, but everyone knows this car is much more of a direct homage to R than that classic.

Of course, we could splurge on CXX custom tailored seats option ($8700) and get houndstooth seats (or anything else we want), but that's a lot of coin.
While $8700 for seats is insane, if there's a car to do tailored seats on, I think the touring is it. It has black stitching, black dash trim, and no alcantara so much less for the seats to clash with. I think chalk exterior with medium dark brown leather seats could look really classy. Maybe this is the next best alternative to PTS. Would cost about the same as PTS too. Hmm...
Old 09-13-2017, 03:20 PM
Lapis
Burning Brakes

Thank you for a very helpful and informative response.

I have some homework to do on PPF and Ceramic pro coating. Glad I'm not the only one considering 991r type stripes.

What is monroney?

Collectibility is important to me.
Slang for the window sticker....

"The Monroney sticker or window sticker is a label required in the United States to be displayed in all new automobiles and includes the listing of certain official information about the car. The window sticker was named after Almer Stillwell "Mike" Monroney, United States Senator from Oklahoma."
Old 09-13-2017, 03:25 PM
Lapis
Burning Brakes

CXX stripes that I'm referring to are 3M brand adhesive vinyl decals. That's what Porsche has always done and what was standard on 911 R.

Porsche also sells them as techequipment for specific models, which you can buy from any Porsche dealer and Suncoast and install yourself (not recommended; its harder than you think to put them on perfect) or have a pro install.

And there are any any number of shops and outfits that make custom decals including ones that would precisely match the Porsche ones.

Porsche has done some cars with PAINTED stripes, but that is a whole other league of money vs vinyl ones. Think at least 10X as much money, since you're basically asking for a very custom hand done paint job at that point.

The vinyl ones are fine. They look great, are available in about any color and finish (glossy, matte) you may want, and are easy to later have removed if you don't like or want to change them (or just replace due to wear and tear).

It is a bit cheaper to buy aftermarket and have installed vs CXX from factory, and aftermarket, sky's the limit on your creativity. But again, then it's not on the monroney if that matters to you.
Old 09-13-2017, 03:30 PM
ricsan
Advanced

Someone know the correct 3M code to use that mach wik the genuine Porsche stripes in red or green?
Old 09-13-2017, 03:33 PM
Lapis
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by johnny2five
While $8700 for seats is insane, if there's a car to do tailored seats on, I think the touring is it. It has black stitching, black dash trim, and no alcantara so much less for the seats to clash with. I think chalk exterior with medium dark brown leather seats could look really classy. Maybe this is the next best alternative to PTS. Would cost about the same as PTS too. Hmm...
maybe. My worry now is that since the black corduroy like striped cloth is unique to Touring Package and is supposed to be a direct reference to the 73 RS 2.7 Touring, NOT having the original seats would somehow devalue the car in the future. That is, people might actually consider the black cloth seats collectible/special and the $8700 it would cost to customize the seats different would not only be lost on eventual resale, but could backfire.

Perhaps the thing to do then with the Touring would be to get it with the standard seats and to aftermarket for different seat inserts to enjoy while I own and drive the car and preserve the originals for resale? Only then, you are stuck with the standard black leather bolsters and stitching.

On the latter though, there are other factory interior stitching options to dress it up a bit. For one, deviated stitching in red is still a $1500 option in the configurator with the Touring Package, so black stitching isn't required. Also, you can still also do in the configurator the Decorative Stitching in Deviated Thread for $3500 which allows you to select from a rainbow of other deviated stitching colors besides red, among them racing yellow, acid green, and..... wait for it.... Chalk.
Old 09-13-2017, 03:50 PM
GT3 KSA
Three Wheelin'

Received 175 Likes on 100 Posts

maybe. My worry now is that since the black corduroy like striped cloth is unique to Touring Package and is supposed to be a direct reference to the 73 RS 2.7 Touring, NOT having the original seats would somehow devalue the car in the future. That is, people might actually consider the black cloth seats collectible/special and the $8700 it would cost to customize the seats different would not only be lost on eventual resale, but could backfire.

Perhaps the thing to do then with the Touring would be to get it with the standard seats and to aftermarket for different seat inserts to enjoy while I own and drive the car and preserve the originals for resale? Only then, you are stuck with the standard black leather bolsters and stitching.

On the latter though, there are other factory interior stitching options to dress it up a bit. For one, deviated stitching in red is still a $1500 option in the configurator with the Touring Package, so black stitching isn't required. Also, you can still also do in the configurator the Decorative Stitching in Deviated Thread for $3500 which allows you to select from a rainbow of other deviated stitching colors besides red, among them racing yellow, acid green, and..... wait for it.... Chalk.
Actually if you try to do deviated on the configurator besides the standard red option it asks you to de select the touring package
Old 09-13-2017, 04:00 PM
andrewordrew
Track Day

Quick Reply: 991.2 GT3 will come with "Touring Package" option