Sponsored by:

991.2 GT3 will come with "Touring Package" option

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2017, 09:11 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 626 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3 KSA
Look again at the leather area surrounding the stick shift. That is obviously the silver / platinum stitching whereas on the config it shows full black.
Just re-watched. It all looks like glossy black stitching to me.
Old 09-12-2017, 09:21 PM
Chris3963
Rennlist Member

Received 1,090 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
It's funny how folks are going to great lengths in order to get a manual GT3...wingless or not. When I said that the first gen GT3 pdk only is a mistake,they were coming at me with pitchforks and knives. Lol!
The manual 6 speed combined with that engine make that car...wing or not...
Would it be churlish of me to point out that back in April you were also tossing pitchforks about a wingless GT3...that it was BS, that the likelihood as akin to the occurrence of a crocodile leather dash option, or pink PTS,...
Old 09-12-2017, 09:29 PM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris3963
Would it be churlish of me to point out that back in April you were also tossing pitchforks about a wingless GT3...that it was BS, that the likelihood as akin to the occurrence of a crocodile leather dash option, or pink PTS,...
Old 09-12-2017, 09:33 PM
Lapis
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 41 Posts

Churlish

rennlist is great to expand one's daily vocabulary.
Old 09-12-2017, 10:04 PM
superchargedman
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's the frankfurt unveiling video with an extended commercial:
Old 09-12-2017, 10:10 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,248 Likes on 522 Posts

Originally Posted by Petevb
It looks like you're correct. Unlike the 911R Porsche hasn't reduced the size of the GT3's front splitter with the Touring package. This guarantees it'll have more downforce than the R, and it also means they are getting at least somewhat similar downforce out of the rear as they manage with the GT3's wing (in order to balance out the front).

A wing is a far more efficient way to make downforce than a spoiler, so similar downforce numbers with a pop-up decklid by definition mean significantly higher drag. That plus the loss of ram-air would account for the reduced top speed vs the R or regular GT3...

And the GT3 Touring also has a small lip at the end of the spoiler that is not present on the 911R.

For sure the GT3 Touring is making more downforce than the 911R. The R is a bit unstable at high speed. The Touring fixed that.

At the end of the day, the 911R is just a beta test car. Porsche test out the 6-speed transmission and the diffuser. They both worked and the wingless 911 just need a slight lip on the spoiler to make it stable again.
Old 09-12-2017, 10:20 PM
superchargedman
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Could someone please photoshop the 911R stripes on this bad boy? I'd be interested to contrast the two. Thanks!
Old 09-12-2017, 10:47 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,726 Likes on 5,123 Posts

Originally Posted by isv
How exactly is this going to stop flipping...? The R horse has long bolted, the touring is an option on the gt3 which is currently having it's fill of speculators tucking into the market. I honestly fail to see how this changes anything.
Originally Posted by RealityGT
Wrong.

Was not joking.
Old 09-12-2017, 10:58 PM
jlee504
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 254 Posts

there have to be more GT3 allocations coming, I can't imagine why they would go through the trouble of offering this option and have a very limited production run. the production run has already sold out...those that have spots already spec'd their cars so unless this is to just appease those of us who wish the GT3 was an R it doesn't make any sense.

I mean..thank you Porsche for appeasing me..

Does anyone know how this car is spec'd? I generally don't like chrome trim, but this is such a classic look I may do it..are the wheels standard GT3 wheels or Satin Aluminum?

Old 09-12-2017, 11:00 PM
love2drive
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default gt3 touring, questions

I'll just list my questions:
1.) How much performance do you loose? Touring vs Winged GT3
2.) If it's just a wing delete, why can't the wing be detachable, with the adjustable regular 911 flap swappable? yes, I want both worlds. this way, for an extra cost..we get both.
3.) Why doesn't the touring package say GT3 in the back?
4.) How would a 991.2 GTS manual fair compared to the touring in streets and track?

😋
Old 09-12-2017, 11:25 PM
squid42
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
The could have just left the GTS as an N/A model, dropped in the 4.0 slightly detuned to 450-465 HP, and been done with it. But either way, good that they did it one way or the other.
Not for people who want convertibles.

Although I have little doubt that a 991 Speedster is coming.

As for the implementation - the new lip looks better than the 991.2 sportdesign one, but it isn't right. Should have a thing like the 991.1 Aerokit Cup - a duck with something extensible.

Touring colors have not been added. No dark blue, no green, no brown.
Old 09-12-2017, 11:26 PM
jphughan
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by love2drive
I'll just list my questions:
1.) How much performance do you loose? Touring vs Winged GT3
2.) If it's just a wing delete, why can't the wing be detachable, with the adjustable regular 911 flap swappable? yes, I want both worlds. this way, for an extra cost..we get both.
3.) Why doesn't the touring package say GT3 in the back?
4.) How would a 991.2 GTS manual fair compared to the touring in streets and track?

��

1. Would be track-dependent. The Touring could theoretically be faster on tracks that had long straightaways since it likely has less drag and therefore possibly a higher top speed (at least with the same transmission) depending on what the limiting factor is. On tracks with lots of high-speed corners, the "regular" GT3 would do better. On tracks that had lots of tight corners and shorter straights where neither downforce nor drag are major factors with road cars, probably no real difference. (Also, "lose", not "loose". )

2. Is this a serious question? If you detached a GT3's wing, you'd have holes in your deck lid, and Porsche probably figured that selling body colored plugs to fill those wouldn't appeal to many owners, to say nothing of the risk of water damage. And from a purely functional standpoint, the front and rear aero also have to be set in harmony to avoid biasing the car too much toward oversteer or understeer, which would make for poor handling and even safety issues, and it may not be possible to offer front aero that's sufficiently adjustable to offset the removal of a wing. The Cayman GT4 has removable front aero bits, but that's only to offset something like a 2-degree change in rear wing attack angle, just for perspective.

3. It does. The plaque on the rear decklid shown even in the photo above clearly says "GT3 Touring". If you're asking why it doesn't have the lettering in the standard place, that probably goes with the whole "understatement" ethos of this offering. The 911R used the same model designation layout, for what it's worth.

4. On track, the GT3 should destroy a GTS if for no other reason than superior suspension and larger, MUCH stickier tires. On the road, it would probably be a lot more driver-dependent, but on the road I suspect the appeal is going to be much more about the steering feel and the scream of an NA engine rather than outright speeds. (Also, "fare", not "fair".)
Old 09-12-2017, 11:28 PM
Bardman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

For those going with the silver trim, what colours are you choosing?

I had been secretly planning to go Brewster Green with mine - contrast with silver trim would have been fantastic - but if PTS is not a thing for this car, I am kind of struggling to find a colour that I like that goes with the silver trim.

Candidates that make sense to me are:
- Black / JBM
- Sapphire Blue
- Agate
- Carmine

The thing is, I dont really want any of those colours. Sapphire looks like a cheap colour to me, I have Agate on my GT4 and in sunlight its just not as appealing as in diffuse light, and Carmine has short term appeal but I would get tired of looking at it in the medium to long term. Potentially black, I actually find black a bit of a dull colour, but maybe the silver highlights lift it up enough.

Its a shame, as I think the silver trim on a deep blue or green would be a really refined look - perfect for the wolf in sheeps clothing that this car is.

The other alternative I'm considering is GT silver with the black trim and black wheels, but thats a completely different look and whilst it would be really sharp, is somewhat different from the look I was thinking of.
Old 09-12-2017, 11:32 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,013 Likes on 2,836 Posts

Originally Posted by jphughan
1. Would be track-dependent. The Touring could theoretically be faster on tracks that had long straightaways since it likely has less drag and therefore possibly a higher top speed
Don't forget that the Touring doesn't have the ram-air intakes that are supposed to add 20hp at top speed (maybe the reason the Touring is 4 kph slower top speed compared to manual with wing, per PetevB)
Old 09-12-2017, 11:36 PM
jphughan
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
Don't forget that the Touring doesn't have the ram-air intakes that are supposed to add 20hp at top speed (maybe the reason the Touring is 4 kph slower top speed compared to manual with wing, per PetevB)
Thanks! I did indeed forget about those, since they're nowhere near as obvious as those on the GT4/RS/Turbo. If I didn't know better I'd say Porsche was deliberately making sure the GT3 will always be faster....

Quick Reply: 991.2 GT3 will come with "Touring Package" option