Sponsored by:

GT3 Dealer Allocation Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2017, 10:49 AM
DUAlum
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chaosoul
Not in a negative way, but sounds like you are a Porsche Sales. Your comments reminds me of the grievance of many Porsche Sales. Ha ha your description of profitability, and price shopping is just too detailed and visual.

"You take every car you can get from Porsche" This sentence gave it away.

I work for a large well known Investment Bank. Financial Analyst in M&A for dealership groups. I hear the complaints from clients all the time.
Old 04-07-2017, 10:59 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
Must be tough, especially compared to ditch-digging. Is this why there are dozens of Porsche dealerships languishing for sale on Ebay at $1 and no one wants them?

Welcome to the world of sales. What's new?

There's a reason why some of these dealers are doing ground up rebuilds for $15 million dollars. They make money as they should. That's fine. Don't want to hear any sob stories though.

http://us.blastingnews.com/business/...001578109.html

http://blog.dupontregistry.com/indus...ber-cars-2016/

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...s-up-to-17-250
Old 04-07-2017, 11:03 AM
DUAlum
6th Gear

Originally Posted by hf1
Must be tough, especially compared to ditch-digging. Is this why there are dozens of Porsche dealerships languishing for sale on Ebay at $1 and no one wants them?

The point I was making was to simply expand the discussion to include some of the real world factors that GM's have to consider when they decide who gets what and at what price.
Old 04-07-2017, 11:04 AM
DUAlum
6th Gear

Originally Posted by STG

Welcome to the world of sales. What's new?

There's a reason why some of these dealers are doing ground up rebuilds for $15 million dollars. They make money as they should. That's fine. Don't want to hear any sob stories though.

http://us.blastingnews.com/business/...001578109.html

http://blog.dupontregistry.com/indus...ber-cars-2016/

Porsche as a manufacturer is very profitable. That is separate from the individual dealerships.
Old 04-07-2017, 11:06 AM
STG
Race Director

Originally Posted by DUAlum
The point I was making was to simply expand the discussion to include some of the real world factors that GM's have to consider when they decide who gets what and at what price.
If Porsche dealers can't make it without GT car sales, they should think about another profession.
Old 04-07-2017, 11:07 AM
STG
Race Director

Porsche as a manufacturer is very profitable. That is separate from the individual dealerships.
Like I said, see any run down dealerships?

Record sales in the USA doesn't translate into profitable dealerships?

Who would be investing $10+ million dollars and not get a return. Don't think ANYONE here will feel sorry for ANY dealer.

Is it a cake walk business? Of course not. What business is??
Old 04-07-2017, 11:15 AM
STG
Race Director

Since you're in finance, what are the average yearly sales volumes in $$$ of small, medium and large sized Porsche dealerships?
Old 04-07-2017, 11:15 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Nothing wrong with being profitable, per se. Porsche could be even more profitable still, or afford to make more and better GT cars at same or lower prices.

The fact that Porsche MUST sell its cars in the US through this racket is not at all separate from this discussion. Actually, it's essential, as anyone even slightly involved with the markets should know.
Old 04-07-2017, 11:20 AM
manitou202
Burning Brakes

Received 408 Likes on 159 Posts

Keeping in mind a couple of things:

1) You have a couple customers who have been loyal and bought GT cars or specialty cars from you in the past. You have other clients who have bought a few different 911’s from you over the years. You have many clients who have bought more than one new Porsche (SUV) from you over the years but not more than one 911.
2) You take every car you can get from Porsche. That means all those base Macans that you make nothing on. All “extra” 2016 Panamera Hybrids that you lost money selling. All the extra built cars like Cayman S’s with $100k stickers which you’ll sell for a loss, everything. You do that to try and get one more specialty car.
3) You get the crap shopped out of you on every SUV, where you slug it out over $200 to $500 and people will drive 100 miles to save that $500 bucks. You slug it out over 7 bucks a month on a lease because the even though the guy has been in 3 times and spent a couple hours with you, he called another dealer and showed them the price he beat you up over and they’re willing to do it for 7 bucks less a month.
But doesn't a lot of this hold true for all car dealerships? Maybe this is newer for Porsche because they are now selling more mainstream models with the Cayenne and Macan. This type of haggling has always existed.

I'd be curious to know how a typical Porsche Dealership's revenue/profit is divided up. SUV sales, 911 sales, Panamera sales, service, parts etc, and then how much additional profit can they make by selling a handful of special models with a high markup.

If my local dealer decides to add a large markup to the 991.2 GT3 then I'll probably pass on buying a car from them. Not because I'm bitter or don't want to give them business, but my interests will most likely be else where (570S, 997.2 GT3RS, R8, who knows). I'm a very reliable and loyal customer for them. I'm not the one who comes in a haggles every last penny on a discounted Cayenne and then never returns. I don't expect them to go way out of their way to give me some special treatment, but being able to buy a .2 GT3 at MSRP seems like a reasonable request.
Old 04-07-2017, 11:42 AM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Received 311 Likes on 175 Posts

All this chatter. I just want a car.
Attached Images  
Old 04-07-2017, 02:41 PM
2006m5
Banned

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by RealityGT
^LoL.. Growth of cheap money?

so true so true
Old 04-07-2017, 02:46 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
Exactly. And what's missing from this discussion is the fact that dealers make a lot of their profit in the service department. They might make only $500 selling a 4 banger Macan, but then they make a killing on all those $350 oil changes and $400 brake flushes every year. I've valued a number of car dealerships during my career and none of them made their money selling cars. They made their money servicing them and selling things like extended warranties, undercoating, wheel packages, and earning a spread on financing. And every dealer I studied made more profit selling a used car then they did selling a new one.
Old 04-07-2017, 03:06 PM
2006m5
Banned

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by RealityGT
^LoL.. Growth of cheap money?
Originally Posted by Archimedes
Exactly. And what's missing from this discussion is the fact that dealers make a lot of their profit in the service department. They might make only $500 selling a 4 banger Macan, but then they make a killing on all those $350 oil changes and $400 brake flushes every year. I've valued a number of car dealerships during my career and none of them made their money selling cars. They made their money servicing them and selling things like extended warranties, undercoating, wheel packages, and earning a spread on financing. And every dealer I studied made more profit selling a used car then they did selling a new one.

SO true I use to set up merchants to accept credit cards.
And dealers service bays make a ton money .
Old 04-07-2017, 03:06 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 377 Likes on 226 Posts

The most not a lot,above sales and parts.
Old 04-07-2017, 03:23 PM
STG
Race Director

Why they prefer local buyers too ....

Quick Reply: GT3 Dealer Allocation Thread