Sponsored by:

991 GT3 RS Wrecked while at Speed Shop

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2017, 10:40 PM
NBoost
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Ccapx
Update: Damage estimate is coming in very material, far higher than my initial estimate. Carbon fiber is really expensive. The more we dig into the car, the more shenanigans we have found in regards to what happened and how everyone behaved after the car was damaged. More to come but this is progressing.
Good luck man. You're dealing with this really well. Oh, and...
Old 03-12-2017, 03:16 AM
DJM48
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

Hang in there.

I sense a new RS on the horizon..
Old 03-12-2017, 06:47 AM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
That you think this is somehow analogous to a shop accidentally damaging a vehicle is beyond disturbing.
While the child molester analogy is a stretch from bad judgement to complete lack of morals, perhaps soulless behavior; this was unethical behavior and severe negligence which is quite a bit different than an "accident". The shop owner knowingly abused customer property, using said property in a dangerous manner that fortunately ended only with damage to the vehicle and not bodily harm to an occupant or bystander.

Harsh as it sounds, the shop owner should be charged with reckless endangerment in addition to having his reputation stripped to nothing.

Ryan
Old 03-12-2017, 11:06 AM
ByeEnzo
Rennlist Member

Received 265 Likes on 80 Posts

I went down this road 12 years ago with my Ford GT. Still have the car, as damage was not as extensive as the OP's car. Car fully fixed and I got a diminished value settlement. Now at 47K miles, which I suspect got me a allocation on the new FGT. Can laugh about it now, but was pissed as hell early on. Best wishes on a satisfactory outcome for the OP.

http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/sh...medy+of+errors
Old 03-12-2017, 11:35 AM
Magicscott
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Wow, this has been a tough read! Ccapx is a class act and is handling this unfortunate situation with tons of coolness and class! Best of luck, karma and Bravo Zulu!

Magic
Old 03-12-2017, 12:06 PM
The Fat Kid
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Update: Damage estimate is coming in very material, far higher than my initial estimate. Carbon fiber is really expensive. The more we dig into the car, the more shenanigans we have found in regards to what happened and how everyone behaved after the car was damaged. More to come but this is progressing.
They tried to hide damage after the accident?
Old 03-12-2017, 12:18 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by The Fat Kid
They tried to hide damage after the accident?

Maybe info from ECU on how car was being used? Not sure what the "after" part may be. Maybe they tried making up a story.

OP will fill us in I'm sure eventually.

Old 03-12-2017, 12:25 PM
Milehigh981
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Just saw this thread.. and I'm floored. OP best of luck and so so sorry to hear about this. You're handling this way better that I would have.
Old 03-12-2017, 12:27 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Link once again for those who missed it.

http://jalopnik.com/shop-owner-smash...-in-1792973207

Name:  photo457.jpg
Views: 2124
Size:  551.8 KB

Rennlist front page:

https://rennlist.com/articles/shop-o...t3-rs-joyride/

I wouldn't use these guys if they offered me free service, just based on principle. The more I hear about them, the more dirt comes up on them. Very shady.

https://m.facebook.com/pg/BobHindson...ernal&mt_nav=1

Last edited by STG; 03-12-2017 at 02:48 PM.
Old 03-12-2017, 02:03 PM
Ccapx
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

ByeEnzo,

Wow read your whole thread. Well done on working through the process. It is good to know that idiocy is not isolated to Kansas City. The thread made me feel better so I appreciate you sharing thank you. Yes we have a VERY clear picture of what happened that day and subsequent steps that were taken to make it harder for us to figure out what happened that day. These cars are super interesting, I suggest Porsche start putting EDR's in these cars. The data is all there, you need a lot from corporate to interpret.
Old 03-12-2017, 02:10 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 257 Likes on 172 Posts

Basically the shop bought the car.
If they cant write the cheque, their insurance carrier will.

The questionable value will be the hard part.
This is where you accept, counter or sue.

Get enough money to buy another and move on.
Old 03-12-2017, 02:18 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

ByeEnzo,

Wow read your whole thread. Well done on working through the process. It is good to know that idiocy is not isolated to Kansas City. The thread made me feel better so I appreciate you sharing thank you. Yes we have a VERY clear picture of what happened that day and subsequent steps that were taken to make it harder for us to figure out what happened that day. These cars are super interesting, I suggest Porsche start putting EDR's in these cars. The data is all there, you need a lot from corporate to interpret.
So you're stating that these cars have fairly accurate data recorders on board? Any idea how much history is actually stored and what information it can provide?

I hope this all works out in a favorable outcome to you. I agree with others, the shop will likely lose lots of business as word of mouth gets out in the tightly knit KC Porsche community.
Old 03-12-2017, 02:49 PM
Ccapx
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

marine blue,

They don't have what I would call traditional Event Data Recorders (EDR's) or black boxes like every other car in America (except, VW (including Porsche) and Ferrari) not sure Mclaren and other hyper high end. However the ECU does still "log" apparently and the sport chrono track app has the ability to log (including video) although I don't know if its logging all the time, on each start up, or only when the app hits it. Someone smarter than i will know that on this board. However the factory can tell what is going on on the ECU, you just end up with 180 page print out of all kinds of stuff that needs to be interpreted. The cars have some sort of Airbag Deployment Modeule (ADM) but again it takes the factory to decipher. IN your typical American car, the EDR captures all this data really cleanly and easily. And actually records the prior 10 seconds of all car functions if the airbag deploys and the ADM module gets activated.
Old 03-12-2017, 03:15 PM
Warehouse33.net
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by napoleon1981
Jesus, I was just thinking about taking my 996 turbo there for an alignment....................
Take your car for an alignment to Sante Fe Auto in Independence, they do all the race alignments for the SCCA, NASA, SVRA guys, etc... and my track car too.

Ask for Greg and tell him Jason from Warehouse 33 sent you.

-Jason
Old 03-12-2017, 03:17 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Thanks, that makes sense. I know we are all curious to learn more about the discoveries but I understand that this can only be released after a conclusion to this whole mess.

I failed to note in my earlier post that if you need another shop for aftermarket work I would wholeheartedly recommend Rennsport KC. Karl and Wes will take good care of your car and they are honest guys.

Quick Reply: 991 GT3 RS Wrecked while at Speed Shop