Sponsored by:

991 GT3 RS Wrecked while at Speed Shop

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2017, 02:24 PM
drdonger
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

delete

Last edited by drdonger; 03-23-2017 at 10:25 AM.
Old 03-10-2017, 03:05 PM
fuego
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mikemessi
Forums are a place for "word of mouth" to spread. A journal article gets written for things that are over the top like this case (Jalopnik). Business reviews on Yelp, Google, Angies List, etc are supposed to be specifically for patrons who have direct experience with the business and they usually specifically state that. 1,000 negative or positive reviews for a business should not be all because of the experience of 1 customer. It is misleading. What if another guy had a great experience there so to counter act all the negative reviews he gets 1000 friends to write a fake positive review? See how it all falls apart and becomes meaningless then?
That's true in a vacuum, but in the real world with SEO and large fishes vs small fishes, this rennlist thread isn't even in the first 5 pages of a google search. And when is the last time you went through 5 pages of google search returns?

The game rules dictate a certain outcome, so players utilize strategies to maximize their effect towards their desired outcome. As a wise man once said, "don't hate the player, hate the game."
Old 03-10-2017, 03:11 PM
LionelB
Burning Brakes

Received 370 Likes on 209 Posts

Jeez, this is nuts. Best of luck on the outcome.
Old 03-10-2017, 03:31 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by drdonger
If a teacher molests a child, do you think it should be made publicly known? The teacher could be great with every single other kid except for that one child. Should people not be listed as sex offenders after they have served their time?
Over exaggerate much?

This thread and the Jalopnik article essentially make up the sex offender registry in your horrible analogy.

What you are suggesting is that a gang of locals swing by the sex offenders house and make trouble.

The owner has repeated joy ridden other people's cars, drove around for 4 hours with the OP's car and crashed an irreplaceable car.
The point, however, is that you have no direct knowledge of such things. I believe the OP's story, but he could just as easily be having a go or leaving out critical information. Same goes for all these other second and third hand stories.

As I said, I believe the OP, so I think the owner should rot in a gutter somewhere, but what you are talking about is just plain wrong. It's not a question about "different" ethics, you simply have none.
Old 03-10-2017, 03:49 PM
drdonger
Three Wheelin'

delete

Last edited by drdonger; 03-23-2017 at 10:26 AM.
Old 03-10-2017, 04:15 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by drdonger
Actually in my analogy, it would be more like barring the teacher or sex offender from interacting with kids in the future.
No that is what the registry does. It is the responsibility of the job they are applying for to check that if it is an issue for them.

And you've never heard of wrongful convictions?

The internet is full of stories of little vigilantes like yourself that jump into the middle of something they have no business in and making a mess of things. In the cases where it turns out the vigilantes were wrong, their mess is never cleaned up and it follows the target around unjustly (just like false rape/molestation charges follow an innocent person around forever).

Even though the OP hasn't advocated such foolishness, with the right lawyer the shop owner could make a good case that the OP has damaged his business and sue him for defamation. Are you going to pay for his legal defense to fight off such a suit?

Leaving negative reviews will help prevent other car owners from going to such a terrible establishment.
So you've gone and defamed a business since you are only what you are being told. What are you going to do if it came out that this was all made up? Are you going to remove your review as well as making everyone else you incited to do the same to remove theirs as well?

People have been successfully sued for leaving true first hand feedback on Yelp. Be careful that you don't end up being the one that pays for the OP's car...

The joy ride was shown by video cameras, people's post from around the city and time stamps. If he wasn't joy riding and didn't take off traction control, how did he crash the car?
Doesn't matter. Wasn't your car and you weren't there to witness any of it.

Who are you to judge my ethics or say that I have none?
I judge you based on what you've written and what you've written (inciting people to leave misleading feedback) shows you have poor ethics at best. Continuing to try to convince us that your actions are somehow righteous tells me that you have no ethics.

I believe in giving people second chances and the benefit of the doubt,
That's pretty laughable given that you are advocating destroying his business before there has been a chance for the matter to be fully resolved.

I'm not saying the owner should go rot in a gutter, but his business and reputation should definitely be hurt.
Your free to wish his business be ruined all day long, I have no problem with that. The problem arises because you are taking an active role in ruining his business when he and his company has not harmed you in any way.

Similarly I can wish for him to have many sleepless nights in the gutter, but the difference is that I take no action to see it actually come to pass.

As someone said above, with modern technology and SEO, this is the only way to actually get things done.
Actually it's not. The OP is giving a fine lesson on how to deal with the situation, I suggest you take notes and learn something.

You think someone bringing their Porsche into a shop is going to read pages of google articles or go beyond reading a couple yelp reviews?
I certainly don't, but that's exactly because of internet trolls like yourself as well as the ratings/ranking gaming that goes on. I know they are useless.
Old 03-10-2017, 04:34 PM
mikemessi
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

Thank you gnat.
Old 03-10-2017, 04:46 PM
drdonger
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by gnat
No that is what the registry does. It is the responsibility of the job they are applying for to check that if it is an issue for them.

And you've never heard of wrongful convictions?

The internet is full of stories of little vigilantes like yourself that jump into the middle of something they have no business in and making a mess of things. In the cases where it turns out the vigilantes were wrong, their mess is never cleaned up and it follows the target around unjustly (just like false rape/molestation charges follow an innocent person around forever).

Even though the OP hasn't advocated such foolishness, with the right lawyer the shop owner could make a good case that the OP has damaged his business and sue him for defamation. Are you going to pay for his legal defense to fight off such a suit?

So you've gone and defamed a business since you are only what you are being told. What are you going to do if it came out that this was all made up? Are you going to remove your review as well as making everyone else you incited to do the same to remove theirs as well?

People have been successfully sued for leaving true first hand feedback on Yelp. Be careful that you don't end up being the one that pays for the OP's car...

Doesn't matter. Wasn't your car and you weren't there to witness any of it.

I judge you based on what you've written and what you've written (inciting people to leave misleading feedback) shows you have poor ethics at best. Continuing to try to convince us that your actions are somehow righteous tells me that you have no ethics.

That's pretty laughable given that you are advocating destroying his business before there has been a chance for the matter to be fully resolved.

Your free to wish his business be ruined all day long, I have no problem with that. The problem arises because you are taking an active role in ruining his business when he and his company has not harmed you in any way.

Similarly I can wish for him to have many sleepless nights in the gutter, but the difference is that I take no action to see it actually come to pass.

Actually it's not. The OP is giving a fine lesson on how to deal with the situation, I suggest you take notes and learn something.

I certainly don't, but that's exactly because of internet trolls like yourself as well as the ratings/ranking gaming that goes on. I know they are useless.
It seems that you like controversy and arguing, by your many posts on Rennlist's Politics and Controversy forum. You call me a troll, yet you normally only post in the political and the 996 forum and come in here to bash me. I won't entertain you any further. I come here as a car enthusiast and to support my fellow car enthusiasts. We obviously have differences in opinion.

Last edited by drdonger; 03-10-2017 at 06:06 PM.
Old 03-10-2017, 04:46 PM
Yellow996
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 39 Posts

Between Trump and Rennlist, there's never a dull moment around here in the news cycle!
Old 03-10-2017, 06:01 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 545 Posts

Old 03-10-2017, 06:41 PM
daberlin
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 12 Posts

This is the 2nd data point why I don't trust service shops with my cars. The first one was in 1994. Best title of an article ever. The driver of the Acura had survived multiple tours in Vietnam without a scratch, had never been in a car accident in 40+ years of driving, was on his way home from Church, and then this....

- Washington Post 1994 -

"A Very Costly Brush With the Devil; Fairfax Man Takes Bad Turn - Into Path of $200,000 Car"

At a Fairfax intersection, James M. Updyke turned his 1988 Acura Legend in front of an oncoming 1991 Lamborghini Diablo, a sleek, black monster of an Italian sports car that then hit him broadside, police said.

The driver of the Lamborghini was Mark L. Husler, a service employee at BMW of Fairfax. He was test-driving the car after fitting it with a new thermostat, according to his boss, John Jaffe, an owner of the dealership. "It's not funny from our perspective," Jaffe said.

He wouldn't identify the car's owner, but the 12-cylinder, mid-engine, two-passenger supercoupe belongs to Carl E. Gnom, of Reston, according to police. Jaffe said the car wasn't bought from BMW of Fairfax, but the owner often has vehicles serviced there. Jaffe said the man owns "lots of exotics," including a Ferrari. Gnom did not return calls to his home yesterday.
Old 03-10-2017, 06:44 PM
NBoost
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

"It's not funny from our perspective," Jaffe said.
Old 03-10-2017, 06:52 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

On the Rennlist front page too

Name:  photo611.jpg
Views: 2019
Size:  433.0 KB

https://rennlist.com/articles/shop-o...t3-rs-joyride/
Old 03-10-2017, 06:56 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

This shop owner will get what's coming to him judged by the market he does business in. He will also face any legal consequences for his actions. This story has gone viral.

Don't think there's a reason to leave any feeback on his Facebook page or Google reviews. Those are meant for user reviews who have used his business. That's my take on it.

Not sure why this has gone so off topic?

By the way, the OP never mentioned who it was that did this damage to his car.

Last edited by STG; 03-10-2017 at 07:46 PM.
Old 03-10-2017, 06:59 PM
NBoost
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Facebook Post

His facebook is lit up like a roman candle.

Quick Reply: 991 GT3 RS Wrecked while at Speed Shop