McLaren Success

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2023, 12:01 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 12,024 Likes on 5,240 Posts

Originally Posted by ParadiseGT3
This Artura feedback? Have impressions of McLaren ownership in general, models to date, wondering if anyone is putting consistent miles on the Artura and how it's going.

Some good feedback on the McLaren forum linked above. But do run into commentary that makes me wonder about how quality/reliability are interpreted for this marque:

Most of my issues have been minor. No real big quality issues. It is in service for its first oil change and SW update. Hopefully the update will fix the entertainment screen from not booting up sometimes. Twice a drivetrain error and limpmode came on. I think due to the number of sensors in the car, by leaving it alone (locked) for 5-10mins, seems to reset everything.

To McLaren's credit, "Artura Peace of Mind" warranty is clearly aimed at inspiring confidence in new customers. And nice to have a straightforward conversation with a dealer, 5-6 months from order to delivery.
I was at my local Mclaren dealer over Labor Day and the dealer principal basically said if you're going to consider an Artura, at this point better just get the GT.
Old 09-12-2023, 02:20 PM
ParadiseGT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 977 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
I was at my local Mclaren dealer over Labor Day and the dealer principal basically said if you're going to consider an Artura, at this point better just get the GT.
Oh boy. thanks. Asking too much for a nuisance ownership experience. At 250-260 on a low key dd build.

Will keep an eye over the next half year, see how things develop.
Old 09-12-2023, 04:50 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 866 Likes on 591 Posts

do you know why he said that?
Old 09-12-2023, 06:49 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,503 Likes on 2,561 Posts

Oh boy. thanks. Asking too much for a nuisance ownership experience. At 250-260 on a low key dd build.

Will keep an eye over the next half year, see how things develop.
Ask around more, read the McLaren forum, etc. One guy at one dealer saying 'buy something else' doesn't necessarily mean you should buy something else.
The following users liked this post:
Nate Tempest (08-06-2024)
Old 09-12-2023, 08:07 PM
G.Irish
Racer

Received 205 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by rodsky
do you know why he said that?
Yeah I'm curious too, it's a very unusual comment. If I knew someone were looking at an Artura and I thought they should buy something else, I wouldn't say the GT unless they were specifically looking for something more mellow. Even then, a used 720S can be mellow when you want it to be, and a savage beast when you don't for as much or less than a new Artura.

Maybe the recommendation was because he had a new GT or two on the lot?
AlexCeres (09-12-2023)
Old 09-12-2023, 10:26 PM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Received 1,705 Likes on 1,043 Posts

I own both, and unless he means “it’ll take a year+ to get you into an artura, so buy this inventory while you wait” that makes no sense. The GT is fine, fun. But it’s like a Roma or a TTS upgrade. More touring, less super. If you want a supercar, Artura, 100%. It’s a 680hp cayman. A used 720 is also a fantastic choice. Different league entirely.
thebishman (09-13-2023)
Old 09-12-2023, 10:29 PM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Also, aren’t you getting into a 296 ? Or was that aspirational ? Need to get behind the wheel of one, but not sure on paper, I’d get either the artura or GT with one of those.
Old 09-12-2023, 10:36 PM
yesyoucan
Racer

Received 218 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexCeres
I own both, and unless he means “it’ll take a year+ to get you into an artura, so buy this inventory while you wait” that makes no sense. The GT is fine, fun. But it’s like a Roma or a TTS upgrade. More touring, less super. If you want a supercar, Artura, 100%. It’s a 680hp cayman. A used 720 is also a fantastic choice. Different league entirely.
dealer principles rarely know anything about the cars they sell . General managers aren’t the most knowledgeable either .

ipse should know better then to post what he did.

sales guys don’t have any Arturo’s to sell and it’ll take down time to spec and get them delivered . Gt is available and they have very good lease deals .

you would be correct that the play would be to get the Gt now while you wait for the artura .
The following 3 users liked this post by yesyoucan:
AlexCeres (09-12-2023), Manifold (09-12-2023), tgibrit (09-13-2023)
Old 09-12-2023, 10:44 PM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

This Artura feedback? Have impressions of McLaren ownership in general, models to date, wondering if anyone is putting consistent miles on the Artura and how it's going.

Some good feedback on the McLaren forum linked above. But do run into commentary that makes me wonder about how quality/reliability are interpreted for this marque:

Most of my issues have been minor. No real big quality issues. It is in service for its first oil change and SW update. Hopefully the update will fix the entertainment screen from not booting up sometimes. Twice a drivetrain error and limpmode came on. I think due to the number of sensors in the car, by leaving it alone (locked) for 5-10mins, seems to reset everything.

To McLaren's credit, "Artura Peace of Mind" warranty is clearly aimed at inspiring confidence in new customers. And nice to have a straightforward conversation with a dealer, 5-6 months from order to delivery.
That was GT feedback since you had asked for that specifically. The GT feels more like a TTS style touring. The artura is a pretty wild cayman like thing. I’ve spent some time borrowing the dealer’s demo artura but mine only just arrived so more feedback in a couple weeks.
Old 09-13-2023, 01:48 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 12,024 Likes on 5,240 Posts

Also, aren’t you getting into a 296 ? Or was that aspirational ? Need to get behind the wheel of one, but not sure on paper, I’d get either the artura or GT with one of those.
Yes, I am.

I'm not in the market for any Mclaren. The dealer principle is a client of mine.
Old 09-13-2023, 08:38 AM
ParadiseGT3
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Manifold
Ask around more, read the McLaren forum, etc. One guy at one dealer saying 'buy something else' doesn't necessarily mean you should buy something else.
It doesn't!?

That was GT feedback since you had asked for that specifically. The GT feels more like a TTS style touring. The artura is a pretty wild cayman like thing. I’ve spent some time borrowing the dealer’s demo artura but mine only just arrived so more feedback in a couple weeks.
Was asking for Artura feedback. 680 hp hybrid Cayman experience sounds right. Appreciate feedback as you get into yours.
Old 09-14-2023, 04:11 PM
RobbieRob
Pro

Received 112 Likes on 53 Posts

What would you like to know ? It’s a noticeable upgrade from a TTS. Lighter, mid engined, better balanced, billionaire doors, v8, drama, fast. It can’t do the incognito trick at the grocery store, or the drag strip launch. It’s a little bit like a Roma in spirit. More touring, a pinch less super. Both cars are fantastic. It suffers in comparison to cars costing $100k more. It’s a lot of car for the money, if you want something a little flashier than the 911
That is a great description of the GT. I have only 500 miles on mine and so far it is such a fun car. I use it for the weekend getaways or for backroads. Absolutely a lot of car for the money.
AlexCeres (09-14-2023)
Old 09-21-2023, 12:18 PM
PiB993
Rennlist Member

Received 154 Likes on 100 Posts

I must admit I am being lured in a bit by Mclarens when I see them at the track. AND the (2) people I have met said they had ZERO problems and good support from the dealer.

What do those of you with more knowledge really think of the 620r? The center locks worry me a bit. That is one end of the spectrum I am looking at but at the other a 570S seems like good value. One guy had a 2017 570s purchased off a lease that looked immaculate. They really do look better in person. I like what I have heard about the ride comfort and the ability to set the amount of yaw on track. Wondering if they can be serviced easily in Omaha Nebraska area or not.
Old 09-21-2023, 12:32 PM
SSO
Instructor

Received 75 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by PiB993
I must admit I am being lured in a bit by Mclarens when I see them at the track. AND the (2) people I have met said they had ZERO problems and good support from the dealer.

What do those of you with more knowledge really think of the 620r? The center locks worry me a bit. That is one end of the spectrum I am looking at but at the other a 570S seems like good value. One guy had a 2017 570s purchased off a lease that looked immaculate. They really do look better in person. I like what I have heard about the ride comfort and the ability to set the amount of yaw on track. Wondering if they can be serviced easily in Omaha Nebraska area or not.
Personally the 620R is the most tempting of the 570/600 range
Old 09-21-2023, 12:43 PM
ParadiseGT3
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by PiB993

Basically a derestricted GT4 racecar and has plummeted in price. Also find tempting, but would not take over RS. Good to hear positive reports from the track. Macs seem to come and go from track scene here, and some of the ones I have seen are definitely not trouble free (unfortunately).

Quick Reply: McLaren Success