Sponsored by:

McLaren Success

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2020, 09:19 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 201 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
The oldest McLaren on the road is less than 10yrs old. How old is the oldest Ferrari?
Late 40s for road cars; factors helping Ferrari in this regard include:

Almost every Ferrari road car ever made still exists ... they might have the highest % of all historically produced road cars still in existence (notwithstanding outliers like Pagani or Koenigsegg)

High value Ferraris lose their high value if they are not serviced / repaired via official channels (there are exceptions, but so few as to be conspicuously noteworthy)
Old 08-10-2020, 10:58 PM
tgibrit
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
The oldest McLaren on the road is less than 10yrs old. How old is the oldest Ferrari?
Not to be too pedantic, but the McLaren F1 started production in 1992
Old 08-11-2020, 01:44 AM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 843 Likes on 572 Posts

Originally Posted by unotaz
The P1 had the manual latch but it didn't work. Just like the gentleman in the YouTube video, he used the manual and it didn't work for him either. So the hammer technique was applied
Which is what is suggested in the P1 manual - when option 1 AND 2 fail.....

Old 08-11-2020, 01:47 AM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 843 Likes on 572 Posts

Originally Posted by tgibrit
Not to be too pedantic, but the McLaren F1 started production in 1992
I remember going into a Mac dealership in London in the mid-90's (Mayfair - i believe it was) and they had one on the showroom floor. It was priced at whatever they were MSRP - 500K quid? I "browsed" and wondered who would pay that amount of money for a car. Boy did I miss the mark
The following users liked this post:
17bhub (08-12-2020)
Old 08-11-2020, 12:59 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Originally Posted by rodsky
I remember going into a Mac dealership in London in the mid-90's (Mayfair - i believe it was) and they had one on the showroom floor. It was priced at whatever they were MSRP - 500K quid? I "browsed" and wondered who would pay that amount of money for a car. Boy did I miss the mark
There was a car in a showroom on Park Lane just north of Hyde Park Corner.

I went to London on a school trip in middle school and my primary objectives were: loading up on CAR, Evo, etc. magazines, buying a cheap pair of Dr. Martens, and seeing the F1 on Park Lane
Old 08-12-2020, 01:17 AM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 1,012 Likes on 473 Posts

Originally Posted by rodsky
I sat in that car...
Old 08-19-2020, 04:13 PM
Zeus
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by unotaz
https://youtu.be/f_lf_Ks-gSs?t=1183

This gentleman also got locked in his Mclaren as well. Start watching at the 19:45 mark. So between me, my friend's P1 and this guy on Youtube, that's already 3 guys getting stuck in their Mclaren. Surely, there are no serious quality issues with Mclaren whatsoever
In the video above, the guy on the right takes a crack at Koenigsegg.

Granted, I have only spoken with one koenigsegg owner, but he mentioned that his was 'Lexus' reliable. Even though he flogs it hard every chance he gets...

Anyone know any different?

Old 08-19-2020, 04:45 PM
RoyalPink
Burning Brakes

Received 662 Likes on 277 Posts

Waiting for an RS dis and the return of Wax.
Old 08-20-2020, 08:26 AM
SSO
Instructor

Received 75 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Guest89
Late 40s for road cars; factors helping Ferrari in this regard include:

Almost every Ferrari road car ever made still exists ... they might have the highest % of all historically produced road cars still in existence (notwithstanding outliers like Pagani or Koenigsegg)

High value Ferraris lose their high value if they are not serviced / repaired via official channels (there are exceptions, but so few as to be conspicuously noteworthy)
I've seen estimates that 90%+ of all the Ferraris ever produced are still in existence. Its very rare that any Ferrari pre 1975 will get written off, no matter how bad the accident. Probably the most successful new program Ferrari has come up in the last 15 years is the Ferrari Classiche program and restoring vintage Ferraris. Its basically the world's most expensive picture book but has become almost a must have if you want to sell a Enzo era Ferrari.
The following users liked this post:
Guest89 (08-20-2020)
Old 08-20-2020, 02:58 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Originally Posted by SSO
I've seen estimates that 90%+ of all the Ferraris ever produced are still in existence. Its very rare that any Ferrari pre 1975 will get written off, no matter how bad the accident. Probably the most successful new program Ferrari has come up in the last 15 years is the Ferrari Classiche program and restoring vintage Ferraris. Its basically the world's most expensive picture book but has become almost a must have if you want to sell a Enzo era Ferrari.
On Classiche:

I have a good friend whose family has owned multiple “significant” V12 Ferraris from the late 50s - early 60s over the years (including some cars with noteworthy competition provenance). According to him, within the small community of people who have firsthand ownership experience, there is more than a little grousing about Ferrari’s Classiche program; there is a small, very hush hush network of mechanics and restoration shops who will quietly “fix” some of the mistakes made by Ferrari themselves during Ferrari’s restoration process. Arousing the ire of the Ferrari mothership regarding a car worth eight figures is probably financially imprudent, so this is all rather clandestine. I have no reason to doubt him - he’s very trustworthy and has no reason to fabricate anecdotes - and I would not put that beyond Ferrari.
Old 08-20-2020, 06:25 PM
SSO
Instructor

Received 75 Likes on 44 Posts

On Classiche:

I have a good friend whose family has owned multiple “significant” V12 Ferraris from the late 50s - early 60s over the years (including some cars with noteworthy competition provenance). According to him, within the small community of people who have firsthand ownership experience, there is more than a little grousing about Ferrari’s Classiche program; there is a small, very hush hush network of mechanics and restoration shops who will quietly “fix” some of the mistakes made by Ferrari themselves during Ferrari’s restoration process. Arousing the ire of the Ferrari mothership regarding a car worth eight figures is probably financially imprudent, so this is all rather clandestine. I have no reason to doubt him - he’s very trustworthy and has no reason to fabricate anecdotes - and I would not put that beyond Ferrari.
Would not surprise me at all.
Old 08-20-2020, 07:29 PM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Received 2,266 Likes on 945 Posts

Originally Posted by SSO
Would not surprise me at all.
me neither.
Old 08-20-2020, 07:29 PM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Received 2,266 Likes on 945 Posts

On Classiche:

what are some of the mistakes?
Old 08-21-2020, 12:48 AM
Guest89
Drifting

Originally Posted by Yippiekiaye
what are some of the mistakes?
Sloppy detail work in general (e.g., paint overspray; small mechanical hiccups; trim misalignments; cars returned with comically bad alignment (ie, there was never an alignment done after the car was put back together))

All of the shortcomings conveyed to me were things that could be resolved without it being apparent to Ferrari that a third party mechanic had had their hands on the car during the intervening period should the car eventually be back with Ferrari.

The downside of arousing Ferrari’s ire - especially in light of the accuracy and completeness of the contemporary record keeping - could go as far as Ferrari suddenly deciding that your car is suddenly “illegitimate,” which reminds me (on a much smaller scale) of an experience I had with the Rolex boutique on Michigan Avenue in Chicago:

I had just purchased my new-to-me 116520 Daytona, and I couldn’t find my little toolkit to add a link to the bracelet. I swung by the store on Michigan on a Friday evening and began to explain myself to a store associate (“I just bought a Daytona and need to add a link to the bracelet so that I can wear the watch comfortably, can you help me out?”). I had the watch in my jacket pocket and the link in a small plastic baggie. The store associate asked me where I bought the watch, and I told him I bought it from a broker (this was in early 2017, well after the 116520 had been discontinued to make way for the 116500 Daytona). Without having seen my watch, he immediately proclaimed “Oh, it’s probably fake if you didn’t buy it from Rolex. We don’t work on counterfeit watches.” I have not, since that juncture, darkened the vestibule of that establishment.
Old 08-21-2020, 02:53 AM
ForeverCar
Burning Brakes

Received 454 Likes on 199 Posts

On Classiche:

Thanks for sharing and it’s sad to hear. While I’d like to believe different, I am not surprised. Consistent with the aspect of the brand that I find difficult to come to terms with.

Quick Reply: McLaren Success