Sponsored by:

McLaren Success

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2020, 03:55 PM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Received 2,266 Likes on 945 Posts

Originally Posted by BryanCO
Thanks for the perspective of RS vs 650. Certainly noticed the lag - and how fast it was vs the RS (especially considering Denver’s elevation and the impact on NA engine performance).
oh 650 is fast as hell but too laggy for me. It was a boring drive. But 600 and 720 are another world.
Old 08-08-2020, 03:57 PM
Jerrym
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by kkabba
I'm sure there's somebody in a nursing home lusting for one of those.
hahahahaha
Old 08-08-2020, 03:59 PM
Jerrym
Instructor

Originally Posted by horns
Can anyone tell me the holy trinity of man purses please?
Hermès crocodile man purse.
The following users liked this post:
Metalblond (08-08-2020)
Old 08-08-2020, 04:01 PM
Jerrym
Instructor

Originally Posted by Yippiekiaye
To me its more like "I know nothing about watches but I did see a rich dude once with that watch on his wrist so Ill buy it cause it must be the greatest watch ever."

My 82 year old father owns one. Someday Ill inherit it. lol.
omg .. I’m dying lol
Old 08-08-2020, 04:32 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 201 Likes on 116 Posts

AP stainless Jumbo does well. And yes a few others But rest of AP is not an investment piece at all. Don’t get me wrong, I like AP and have owned a Grand Prix, bumblebee, safari amongst others but really never considered them investments. Good solid sports watches though.
AP as “investment” is a recent thing.

I’d like them to do a CODE 11:59 with the following characteristics: Steel case, rubber strap, fix the handset, move the date from 4 PM (or remove altogether); great alternate entry point to the brand vs. 15500 Royal Oak or Royal Oak Diver

Originally Posted by br911
Problem is not the watch, or it's sudden disappearance. The question to ask is what happens to one's arm if it happens to have anything that is not plastic wrapped around it.
https://hongkongfp.com/2020/08/05/tw...0-rolex-watch/
Old 08-08-2020, 04:56 PM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Guest89
AP as “investment” is a recent thing.

I’d like them to do a CODE 11:59 with the following characteristics: Steel case, rubber strap, fix the handset, move the date from 4 PM (or remove altogether); great alternate entry point to the brand vs. 15500 Royal Oak or Royal Oak Diver

https://hongkongfp.com/2020/08/05/tw...0-rolex-watch/
i think the Code was a bit of a flop for AP but I really liked em.
Old 08-08-2020, 06:52 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 813 Likes on 427 Posts

Figures. He owns multiples. Congrats. It suits you perfectly.
I guess owning multiple watches of a brand is not haute couture? I thought you own multiples of a brand ? Hmmm...

I am suggesting to you in a nice way to step back from the personal demeaning insults directed at me. Not appropriate. I will likewise measure my comments.

I am looking at a PP. Don’t know much about them. This is the one I am considering. As a gesture of good will and as someone who appears to know the brand I am requesting Your thoughts on this piece.

Last edited by Waxer; 08-08-2020 at 07:26 PM.
Old 08-08-2020, 07:35 PM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Waxer
I guess owning multiple watches of a brand is not haute couture? I thought you own multiples of a brand ? Hmmm...

I am suggesting to you in a nice way to step back from the personal demeaning insults directed at me. Not appropriate. I will likewise measure my comments.

I am looking at a PP. Don’t know much about them. This is the one I am considering. As a gesture of good will and as someone who appears to know the brand I am requesting Your thoughts on this piece.

Calatrava is their entry level line. This piece was discontinued I think in 2016 or so. Price is about in line where it should be.

i tend to lean towards slightly bigger pieces- all my Pateks are in the 42mm range (5522, 5968, 5524, 5905 etc etc). So for me this watch wouldn’t work but if you like the look and the size works- but it. Price seems right.
Old 08-08-2020, 07:36 PM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Just make sure the watch has box and papers. It matters for value and resale.
Old 08-08-2020, 07:37 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,529 Likes on 5,056 Posts

i think the Code was a bit of a flop for AP but I really liked em.
The AP Code is like the watch version of the Senna.

Hated and misunderstood by the press.
Old 08-08-2020, 08:38 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Calatrava is their entry level line. This piece was discontinued I think in 2016 or so. Price is about in line where it should be.

i tend to lean towards slightly bigger pieces- all my Pateks are in the 42mm range (5522, 5968, 5524, 5905 etc etc). So for me this watch wouldn’t work but if you like the look and the size works- but it. Price seems right.
Thsnks. Its beautiful.
Old 08-08-2020, 09:55 PM
fastmd
Burning Brakes

Received 281 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Waxer

Waxer, I don’t think you will like this watch. Its very thin, small, and extremely lightweight, very feminine on mans wrist. My opinion. Looking at your other watches, this will feel very underwhelming.

If you are serious about Patek, there has never been a better time to buy their complicated pieces. Because of the craziness of the sports watch market there are great deals to be had.

I have overlooked some of my nautilus etc, because I have rotated to wearing complicated pieces. More importantly, you have to buy what speaks to you. Also, look at ALS, incredible pieces, but terrible resale.

Additionally, they probably bought that watch for no more than $5K. My friend was trying to sell the same one and no dealer wanted it unless he purchased something plus cash.
The following users liked this post:
sampelligrino (08-08-2020)
Old 08-08-2020, 10:45 PM
Jerrym
Instructor

Is he joking or is he seriously considering that patek?
Old 08-08-2020, 11:34 PM
horns
Pro

Received 197 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by fastmd
More importantly, you have to buy what speaks to you. Also, look at ALS, incredible pieces, but terrible resale.
I have many money pits other than cars, but I haven't ventured into watches (so far). If I were to take the plunge, ALS is first on my list followed by AP. To me the style of those two buries PP. I know that will probably bring out the pitchforks, but it's just my opinion. PP have a classic look, but they are vanilla compared to ALS and AP. I just haven't been able to bring myself to pony up because I don't think the pieces justify the price. I'm not looking for an investment per se, and my idea would be to buy and pass down rather than sell, but thus far I don't think I would extract near the value out of them at the prices they command. Furthermore, in the last 6 months I think I can count on two hands how many times I've worn a watch. If it isn't an investment, and I'm not using it, what's the point. I'll probably buckle one day...just because.

Old 08-08-2020, 11:39 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by fastmd
Waxer, I don’t think you will like this watch. Its very thin, small, and extremely lightweight, very feminine on mans wrist. My opinion. Looking at your other watches, this will feel very underwhelming.

If you are serious about Patek, there has never been a better time to buy their complicated pieces. Because of the craziness of the sports watch market there are great deals to be had.

I have overlooked some of my nautilus etc, because I have rotated to wearing complicated pieces. More importantly, you have to buy what speaks to you. Also, look at ALS, incredible pieces, but terrible resale.

Additionally, they probably bought that watch for no more than $5K. My friend was trying to sell the same one and no dealer wanted it unless he purchased something plus cash.
Doc: I appreciate the input. I have small wrists. A 36mm looks fine on my wrist and 40mm is pushing it.

I have become brand centric as to Rolexes. I love them for many reasons but the problem with them is they are all different notes but the same general tune. I have 5 of them the last being a new Daytona I bought in November so I’m kinda Rolexed out. They are all Stainless and/or gold chunky sport watches. They really aren’t known for leather band pieces.

Have a couple of Brietlings I don’t wear anymore one being a gold and stainless Navimeter I’ll trade in if they give a fair number otherwise I’ll just keep them. On the fence about letting my Omega Sea-master go. The UN has little value on the secondary market.
so might as well keep it and use it. Shame since they make beautiful watches.

Liked the Calatrava for its simplicity and elegance and the bonus is it’s not crazy $. Also I don’t have a watch like it. Fills a spot for me.

ALS are very nice too. Always had my heart set on a Patek one day. New the watch was $23000.00. It also comes with the box and papers..

There aren’t many watches I would consider an investment. The object for me is to buy near the bottom of the curve. If a watch hold most of its value that’s a win.

Last edited by Waxer; 08-08-2020 at 11:55 PM.

Quick Reply: McLaren Success