Sponsored by:

McLaren Success

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2020, 12:10 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by nolocontendere
is that a factory option? You have me intrigued but the dynamics of the car are such is be surprised there is software that can address it
Www.dscsport.com

Game changer, easy to install, completely programmable if desired.
Old 06-04-2020, 01:29 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 813 Likes on 427 Posts

Originally Posted by nolocontendere
nice work! A girl like that deserves to ride shotgun in a 675LT spider. At least a test drive on a nice sunny day to see what she says. Enjoy it while you are all still young and beautiful

Hmmm, funny since she walked right past the Mac Spider parked in the adjacent spot and found her standing by the RS😁
Old 06-04-2020, 01:56 PM
LnC993
Pro

Received 165 Likes on 77 Posts

Sorry, repost
Old 06-04-2020, 02:05 PM
AllAboutThatP
Burning Brakes

Received 557 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Www.dscsport.com

Yep, this. I wouldn't have believed it either, but it really did make a significant difference in how the car behaves on the street. I haven't had a chance to test it on track yet.

It literally took me about 60 seconds to install as well.
Old 06-04-2020, 02:22 PM
jgorscak
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 33 Posts

Www.dscsport.com

Pardon me if I'm not understanding what the purpose of this DSC is but isn't the point of having these more track oriented cars (i.e. RS, LT...) to feel the road MORE? Feel the jiggles, etc?
Old 06-04-2020, 03:23 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,869 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by jgorscak
Pardon me if I'm not understanding what the purpose of this DSC is but isn't the point of having these more track oriented cars (i.e. RS, LT...) to feel the road MORE? Feel the jiggles, etc?
Not if you're losing contact with the road.
Old 06-04-2020, 03:24 PM
AllAboutThatP
Burning Brakes

Received 557 Likes on 278 Posts

It doesn't take away from road feel at all IMO. You still have all the road feel and precision, but instead of feeling like the tires were leaving the pavement for a split second when hitting bumps, now it feels like it is much more composed and connected to the road.
Old 06-04-2020, 04:22 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,291 Likes on 680 Posts

Originally Posted by AllAboutThatP
It doesn't take away from road feel at all IMO. You still have all the road feel and precision, but instead of feeling like the tires were leaving the pavement for a split second when hitting bumps, now it feels like it is much more composed and connected to the road.

The one thing I don't understand is how the DSC improves on the standard Porsche GT car settings. I'm all for doing some basic mods to our cars, but I guess I always felt that the three most defining characteristics of a 911 based car are 1- rear engine dynamics, 2- steering feeling, 3- suspension excellence from Porsche.

If the chassis dynamics built into your Porsche GT car isn't to your liking, I'm not sure why you buy a Porsche in the first place? Maybe you should buy a car from another manufacturer or just build a kit car from the ground up which would be less expensive that a GT3RS?

It's an honest question. Something I've wondered about when you guys discuss suspension mods.
Old 06-04-2020, 06:39 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,784 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Www.dscsport.com

I need one of these for the ZR1. Just did the alignment for it today using the DSC specs. Next mod...
Old 06-04-2020, 06:48 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,784 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting
The one thing I don't understand is how the DSC improves on the standard Porsche GT car settings. I'm all for doing some basic mods to our cars, but I guess I always felt that the three most defining characteristics of a 911 based car are 1- rear engine dynamics, 2- steering feeling, 3- suspension excellence from Porsche.

If the chassis dynamics built into your Porsche GT car isn't to your liking, I'm not sure why you buy a Porsche in the first place? Maybe you should buy a car from another manufacturer or just build a kit car from the ground up which would be less expensive that a GT3RS?

It's an honest question. Something I've wondered about when you guys discuss suspension mods.
According to DSC's claims, their controllers provide a wider range of motion and control than the standard system, making for a more comfortable ride, while also providing better control through the corners than the standard Porsche controls. The units use G-force, Brake pressure, wheel speed, steering position, and throttle position inputs to control the damper's effective range electronically. On 991 and 981 chassis vehicles equipped with Porsche Dynamic Chassis Control, the DSC Sport V2 controller are even said to improve upon Porsche's active engine mount controls.

Porsche does a good job tuning car suspensions, but this takes things to another level. You can control these settings via software, which allows you to decide what to emphasize. You could have a track setup, a cruising setup for longer trips, or a balanced setup. All software controlled. Porsche has to come up with a balanced setup which has to include more compromises for all around drivability.

Old 06-04-2020, 08:40 PM
Jim50
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 600LT vs GT3

I have been following this thread since I ordered my 600LT. It arrived last year on this day and I also purchased at 2018 GT3 991.2 last summer as a car to track instead of a 991.1 4S. I wanted to give some first hand experience regarding ownership and tracking of both of these cars - facts, not speculation. After about 10 track days with the GT3 I decided I needed to track the 600LT. They are both great cars for the track - they are purpose built for that purpose. Too bad most never see a race track. I love the sound of the GT3 revving to 9000 rpms. The 600LT doesn't rev as high, but the power and torque is amazing. I think the 600LT is more stable at higher speeds and especially when braking from 165 mph to 45 on the back straight. All in all, the 600LT is more fun to drive on the street or on the track for a bunch of reasons. But it should, as it cost almost twice as much as the GT3.

Track days have been primarily at VIR, but a few other tracks also get mixed in occasionally. I now have 8 track days at VIR this year in the 600LT. I was at VIR two days ago and had a very special experience with the car I wanted to share. By chance Randy Pobst was next to my trailer on the paddock and I ask him if he would have an interest in driving my 600LT. If you haven't heard of Randy Pobst, he has 91 pro wins and holds the track record in a variety of cars at many tracks. He said sure and he drove and I rode for 4 amazing laps. My car is stock other than conversion to the Girodisc steel rotors and pads and now running Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar 3R tires, which are a little wider in the front. He was very complimentary of the car. He has driven McLarens before, including the 675LT, but noted that my car seemed to be much better around the track. He thought the car was very smooth and had incredible grip. Riding with him, I could tell when he was surprised at what the car would do. He ran a 1:59 on the first lap in the car and said he thought it was a 1:53-1:54 car if he had a little more time in it. These are extremely fast lap times for this track, and are within a few seconds of pro drivers in full race cars. See SCCA fastest times by class https://ncrscca.com/wp/wp-content/up...cords-1019.pdf There was a race team there practicing with GT4 Clubsport cars that race in IMSA and they said they do around 1:57, with maybe 1:54 in qualifying. A track friend of mine with a GT2RS had Randy Pobst drive his car with comparable times. He spent $450k on that car, $175K more than my 600LT. If you are interested in high performance value, there is no better value $ for $ IMHO than McLaren, especially the 675LT at where its prices are today.

My McLaren ownership has been very enjoyable. I have a local shop (Hbi Automotive) that does free track inspections and they do all of the pre and post track inspections recommended by McLaren. In the owners manual they are "recommended", but dealers say you run the risk of losing your warranty coverage, depending on claim. My dealer charges $326.40 each, with no discount if they are doing a post and pre at the same time. You do not have to go to McLaren to do these inspections. We have been told by a McLaren dealer that as long as the inspections are performed with their form and we keep a copy, everything is good. This shop has the McLaren computer and can remote into the McLaren system. There will be more and more independent shops that can work on these cars. Hbi also did my 1 year service for $1210. Dealer wanted $3000. You don't have to go to the dealer for the annual service. Here is a breakdown on my first year service. The list of items that check is extensive. The parts are more expensive, but not difference from other exotics.

I think this is typical for service on an exotic car. Mercedes S63 service was $550. 2nd annual service for GT3 quoted at $2955 by Porsche (this is a major service). Totally unrealistic to think a much more expensive car isn't going to be more expensive to maintain.

With regard to the extended warranty, I think $4000/year for a $250K high performance car that will be covered for track use is a bargain. I extended the warranty on my 2009 S63 Mercedes a while back and it was $3500 for an additional 2 years on a car worth $60K with half of the msrp of the 600LT. To suggest that $4000 a year is outrageous for an extended warranty on a 4+ year old hand built street legal car built to race and a reason not to buy the car is a little over the top. What would be "fair"? $3000 for the warranty and $1500 for the service? Are you really not buying an exotic car over an extra $1500 per year. Let's be honest. These cars are not for everyone. They are luxury items to the max. And if you take any Porsche or McLaren to the track the costs add up very quickly. Track fees, track insurance, 3rd party inspection fees (required by all PCA event sponsors in my experience), tires, brakes, more frequent oil and brake fluid changes, etc. Parts and labor on McLarens are expensive just like any other limited production exotics. Parts can obviously be made for less when they are made in the 1000s instead of 100s. Porsche sold 3176 991.2 GT3s and 1734 991.2 GT3RSs in the US and Canada. That is more than McLaren's total annual production. Less than 500 600LTs sold in North America, new 620R will only be 349 world-wide. The cars are hand-built limited production cars. Of course they are expensive to buy and expensive to maintain.

Are Porsche GT cars amazing cars? Of course they are. No one would really dispute that. But IMHO after owning both, I think the 600LT is a faster, sleeker, more beautiful and certainly more exclusive car. It makes me smile just sitting in it and starting the engine. And the smile gets bigger as you accelerate though the gears, with the downshift cracks. Riding with Randy Pobst in the car showed me a level of performance that is frankly scary. I've never driven another car like it. I'm sure there are better cars out there, and maybe someday I'll have a chance to drive one. For now I'll just wait for delivery of my 620R this month. And maybe I'll get a 765LT after it depreciates a bit. Those of you who think these cars will continue to depreciate steeply should consider McLaren's current production plans. Keep in mind the factory was closed for almost 2 months. Other than a few 720s that were on order and in production future production for this year will be limited to completing the 620R builds (unknown how many) and building the Elva and 765LT that are already fully allocated. My dealer is trying to source cars from other dealers and the nationwide new car inventory of 600LTs and 720Ss is quickly being bought up. There won't be any more of these cars built. Many of the cars being sold as new by dealers recently are not really new, just never registered. They are McLaren marketing, corporate or Pure McLaren cars that have been used, in some cases quite hard. Those are the cars that people report selling for $50K off sticker and its because McLaren is selling them to the dealers cheap. Admittedly McLaren dumped a lot of cars on the market in 2019 and early 2020. That won't be the case for the next cars in the production plan. They won't need to sell as many because they will be much more expensive and more profitable.

For any of you who are thinking about buying a McLaren, I don't think you will be disappointed moving from a Porsche GT3 or GT3RS. A GT2RS might be a different story.

The following 7 users liked this post by Jim50:
AlexCeres (06-04-2020), AllAboutThatP (06-04-2020), arashiyama (10-21-2020), Gary(SF) (06-04-2020), Saru385 (06-05-2020), stanwine (06-04-2020), thebishman (06-05-2020) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-04-2020, 09:51 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,529 Likes on 5,056 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting

Never thought the suspension on the GT cars were all that great.

A McLaren makes the Porsche look like it’s on wood tires.
Old 06-04-2020, 10:20 PM
bobodrink
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim50
I have been following this thread since I ordered my 600LT. It arrived last year on this day and I also purchased at 2018 GT3 991.2 last summer as a car to track instead of a 991.1 4S. I wanted to give some first hand experience regarding ownership and tracking of both of these cars - facts, not speculation. After about 10 track days with the GT3 I decided I needed to track the 600LT. They are both great cars for the track - they are purpose built for that purpose. Too bad most never see a race track. I love the sound of the GT3 revving to 9000 rpms. The 600LT doesn't rev as high, but the power and torque is amazing. I think the 600LT is more stable at higher speeds and especially when braking from 165 mph to 45 on the back straight. All in all, the 600LT is more fun to drive on the street or on the track for a bunch of reasons. But it should, as it cost almost twice as much as the GT3.

Track days have been primarily at VIR, but a few other tracks also get mixed in occasionally. I now have 8 track days at VIR this year in the 600LT. I was at VIR two days ago and had a very special experience with the car I wanted to share. By chance Randy Pobst was next to my trailer on the paddock and I ask him if he would have an interest in driving my 600LT. If you haven't heard of Randy Pobst, he has 91 pro wins and holds the track record in a variety of cars at many tracks. He said sure and he drove and I rode for 4 amazing laps. My car is stock other than conversion to the Girodisc steel rotors and pads and now running Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar 3R tires, which are a little wider in the front. He was very complimentary of the car. He has driven McLarens before, including the 675LT, but noted that my car seemed to be much better around the track. He thought the car was very smooth and had incredible grip. Riding with him, I could tell when he was surprised at what the car would do. He ran a 1:59 on the first lap in the car and said he thought it was a 1:53-1:54 car if he had a little more time in it. These are extremely fast lap times for this track, and are within a few seconds of pro drivers in full race cars. See SCCA fastest times by class https://ncrscca.com/wp/wp-content/up...cords-1019.pdf There was a race team there practicing with GT4 Clubsport cars that race in IMSA and they said they do around 1:57, with maybe 1:54 in qualifying. A track friend of mine with a GT2RS had Randy Pobst drive his car with comparable times. He spent $450k on that car, $175K more than my 600LT. If you are interested in high performance value, there is no better value $ for $ IMHO than McLaren, especially the 675LT at where its prices are today.

My McLaren ownership has been very enjoyable. I have a local shop (Hbi Automotive) that does free track inspections and they do all of the pre and post track inspections recommended by McLaren. In the owners manual they are "recommended", but dealers say you run the risk of losing your warranty coverage, depending on claim. My dealer charges $326.40 each, with no discount if they are doing a post and pre at the same time. You do not have to go to McLaren to do these inspections. We have been told by a McLaren dealer that as long as the inspections are performed with their form and we keep a copy, everything is good. This shop has the McLaren computer and can remote into the McLaren system. There will be more and more independent shops that can work on these cars. Hbi also did my 1 year service for $1210. Dealer wanted $3000. You don't have to go to the dealer for the annual service. Here is a breakdown on my first year service. The list of items that check is extensive. The parts are more expensive, but not difference from other exotics.

I think this is typical for service on an exotic car. Mercedes S63 service was $550. 2nd annual service for GT3 quoted at $2955 by Porsche (this is a major service). Totally unrealistic to think a much more expensive car isn't going to be more expensive to maintain.

With regard to the extended warranty, I think $4000/year for a $250K high performance car that will be covered for track use is a bargain. I extended the warranty on my 2009 S63 Mercedes a while back and it was $3500 for an additional 2 years on a car worth $60K with half of the msrp of the 600LT. To suggest that $4000 a year is outrageous for an extended warranty on a 4+ year old hand built street legal car built to race and a reason not to buy the car is a little over the top. What would be "fair"? $3000 for the warranty and $1500 for the service? Are you really not buying an exotic car over an extra $1500 per year. Let's be honest. These cars are not for everyone. They are luxury items to the max. And if you take any Porsche or McLaren to the track the costs add up very quickly. Track fees, track insurance, 3rd party inspection fees (required by all PCA event sponsors in my experience), tires, brakes, more frequent oil and brake fluid changes, etc. Parts and labor on McLarens are expensive just like any other limited production exotics. Parts can obviously be made for less when they are made in the 1000s instead of 100s. Porsche sold 3176 991.2 GT3s and 1734 991.2 GT3RSs in the US and Canada. That is more than McLaren's total annual production. Less than 500 600LTs sold in North America, new 620R will only be 349 world-wide. The cars are hand-built limited production cars. Of course they are expensive to buy and expensive to maintain.

Are Porsche GT cars amazing cars? Of course they are. No one would really dispute that. But IMHO after owning both, I think the 600LT is a faster, sleeker, more beautiful and certainly more exclusive car. It makes me smile just sitting in it and starting the engine. And the smile gets bigger as you accelerate though the gears, with the downshift cracks. Riding with Randy Pobst in the car showed me a level of performance that is frankly scary. I've never driven another car like it. I'm sure there are better cars out there, and maybe someday I'll have a chance to drive one. For now I'll just wait for delivery of my 620R this month. And maybe I'll get a 765LT after it depreciates a bit. Those of you who think these cars will continue to depreciate steeply should consider McLaren's current production plans. Keep in mind the factory was closed for almost 2 months. Other than a few 720s that were on order and in production future production for this year will be limited to completing the 620R builds (unknown how many) and building the Elva and 765LT that are already fully allocated. My dealer is trying to source cars from other dealers and the nationwide new car inventory of 600LTs and 720Ss is quickly being bought up. There won't be any more of these cars built. Many of the cars being sold as new by dealers recently are not really new, just never registered. They are McLaren marketing, corporate or Pure McLaren cars that have been used, in some cases quite hard. Those are the cars that people report selling for $50K off sticker and its because McLaren is selling them to the dealers cheap. Admittedly McLaren dumped a lot of cars on the market in 2019 and early 2020. That won't be the case for the next cars in the production plan. They won't need to sell as many because they will be much more expensive and more profitable.

For any of you who are thinking about buying a McLaren, I don't think you will be disappointed moving from a Porsche GT3 or GT3RS. A GT2RS might be a different story.
I too own a GT3 RS and a 600LT. TBH you have to own both, they are so different approaching the race inspired road car. 600LT has a good exhaust tone but the GT3RS is sonorous and the energy climbing up the revs is intoxicating. The PDK is crisper and faster than the 600LT. Dynamically both are so similar in grip and performance its negotiable. Speed wise I don't feel the GT3RS was ever lacking in power, it is perfect for the car. The biggest difference in the 600LT is the rawness, its the most brutal car in 2020 I have experienced, shifts like a Scuderia, idles like a Mercy, accelerate like a 720S and corners like a GT3RS, but all of this needs to be driven hard to experience. End of the day, the RS can be enjoyed more at lower speeds and the NA engine connects with you better. In conclusion, the 600LT is tiny less engaging, little finicky with electronics, slightly lower build quality and you always have a thought in mind when is it gonna break, but it is all expected when I bought it. Aside from that, its the most exciting modern turbo car ever built, but it can never beat naturally aspiration.

Last edited by bobodrink; 06-04-2020 at 10:36 PM.
Old 06-04-2020, 10:25 PM
stanwine
Intermediate

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim50

Great post. I appreciate how you summarized the ownership proposition from each company in an objective and constructive way.
Old 06-04-2020, 11:35 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 917 Posts

What??? No, that sounds terrible. Jiggly or rough suspension is never desirable. The point is to have suspension which adapts to the road surface and driving conditions the most. Most competent road and track cars you'll be in like a corvette or a Ferrari with infinitely fast adjusting magnetorheological suspensions or a McLaren with their trick system are like magic carpet rides... amazing on road and track.

The DSC tries to take the somewhat comparatively pedestrian Gt3 suspension and maximize its range so that its more comfortable on the road AND more competent on track.

Discomfort has never meant performance, it's meant unfortunate compromise. DSC helps with this.
The following users liked this post:
AllAboutThatP (06-05-2020)

Quick Reply: McLaren Success