Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2019, 12:08 PM
NSD991
Rennlist Member

Received 379 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Psup4s
https://youtu.be/H7qpUqwLS9o

I’ll just leave this here 😆

As an owner of 2 McLarens in the past, I’m not surprised by this video. As the man said...”the driving experience could not be better, the ownership experience could not be worse.” Such a shame.
Old 12-24-2019, 12:22 PM
fastmd
Burning Brakes

Received 281 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by nolocontendere
The MP4-12C was McLaren’s first mass production car and everyone knows they can have gremlins. If you are coming from a GT3 variant you should be looking at an LT (675 or 600) if you are looking to make the jump. The LTs are extremely reliable and the 675LT spider is my favorite car by a wide margin.
This.

The 12c was their first entry into the production market. Had issues. I have owned 4 and still own my 675 LT spider. Best car I have owned.

Old 12-24-2019, 12:53 PM
Gary(SF)
Instructor

Received 73 Likes on 42 Posts

My early '16 570S is the best car I have ever owned, bar none. Extremely reliable, ridiculously fast, light, nimble, just beautifully engineered. I've owned lots of Porsches, several Ferraris, Lotus, BMW. etc, and McLaren has my business for now, no question about it. For the record, not one of my 8 or so McLaren buddies, several of whom own more than one McLaren, have had anything like these experiences.
Old 12-24-2019, 02:20 PM
dewilmoth
Pro

Received 154 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by fastmd
This.

The 12c was their first entry into the production market. Had issues. I have owned 4 and still own my 675 LT spider. Best car I have owned.

Given your experience with lots of fantastic cars, do you think there's a better value out there for a special and fun weekend car at ~$200K than a 675LT coupe? My budget supports a single "fun" car currently at that price. I tend to gravitate more towards the hardcore cars in each model lineup, despite not being a track guy currently.

Based on your quote above, I'm guessing the answer is "no".
Old 12-24-2019, 02:32 PM
fastmd
Burning Brakes

Received 281 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by dewilmoth
Given your experience with lots of fantastic cars, do you think there's a better value out there for a special and fun weekend car at ~$200K than a 675LT coupe? My budget supports a single "fun" car currently at that price. I tend to gravitate more towards the hardcore cars in each model lineup, despite not being a track guy currently.

NO. there is is not in my opinion.

The 675LT is the supercar bargain right now.

It has everything a supercar needs, SPEED, Lightweight, Looks, Sound, Handling, and gives you a sense of emotion that most cars lack.

Additionally, the 675 LT is solidly built. You are buying at 50% off is some cases.

RL has taken this to a new level and my belief is that many people have stretched to afford their GT cars (because it was an "investment") and now that they see proper depreciation it is causing them undue angst for their Pcar and all others.

I bought new, with a high sticker. I don't care about whatever perceived depreciation there is around these cars.

I know that tonight I will be with my family, tomorrow is Christmas and I am blessed to have lived my life and enjoy things that make me happy. If I don't wake up in the morning or if something tragic happens do you think depreciation on the cars I have purchased will be on my mind.....

The following 6 users liked this post by fastmd:
cadster (12-24-2019), Maverick787 (12-24-2019), sampelligrino (12-25-2019), stanwine (12-24-2019), thebishman (12-24-2019), zim32 (12-24-2019) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 12-24-2019, 02:33 PM
dewilmoth
Pro

Received 154 Likes on 83 Posts

It has everything a supercar needs, SPEED, Lightweight, Looks, Sound, Handling, and gives you a sense of emotion that most cars lack.

Additionally, the 675 LT is solidly built. You are buying at 50% off is some cases.

RL has taken this to a new level and my belief is that many people have stretched to afford their GT cars (because it was an "investment") and now that they see proper depreciation it is causing them undue angst for their Pcar and all others.

I bought new, with a high sticker. I don't care about whatever perceived depreciation there is around these cars.

I know that tonight I will be with my family, tomorrow is Christmas and I am blessed to have lived my life and enjoy things that make me happy. If I don't wake up in the morning or if something tragic happens do you think depreciation on the cars I have purchased will be on my mind.....
Thanks for the insight. Great outlook, I concur. Merry Christmas!
Old 12-24-2019, 02:47 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,742 Likes on 5,127 Posts

Originally Posted by dewilmoth

While I agree the 675LT is not only a great car, but a bargain at current market prices, for around 200k, I think a used Huracan LP 580-2 is right up there with the 675LT in terms of both bargain and fun factor, plus you still are within the OEM factory warranty with the Lamborghini.
Old 12-24-2019, 03:59 PM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Received 2,269 Likes on 945 Posts

https://youtu.be/H7qpUqwLS9o

I’ll just leave this here 😆
i don’t have the patience to sit through 40 minutes of some guy rambling. What is the cliff notes version? What is he so butt hurt about?
Old 12-24-2019, 04:18 PM
Psup4s
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Yippiekiaye
i don’t have the patience to sit through 40 minutes of some guy rambling. What is the cliff notes version? What is he so butt hurt about?
Father and son buy two brand new Mclarens 720 and 570 both cars turned out to be a nightmare. Whole situation was poorly handled by the dealer..... great cars to drive when they don't brake.
Old 12-24-2019, 04:22 PM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Father and son buy two brand new Mclarens 720 and 570 both cars turned out to be a nightmare. Whole situation was poorly handled by the dealer..... great cars to drive when they don't brake.
so crappy dealer? Jesus. Glad I didn’t sit throeugh the drivel.
Old 12-24-2019, 04:26 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,099 Likes on 1,011 Posts

Here’s why I never kill brands because the dealer can always make it right. I’ve had zero issues with my MAC dealer, and they sell RR, Aston, Lambo in a big car community you screw someone it kills your brand. Same with my Porsche dealership both have been great ............the day you screw me I will not buy your cars, and so far all all have been good to me.

Old 12-24-2019, 04:29 PM
Psup4s
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 66 Posts

so crappy dealer? Jesus. Glad I didn’t sit throeugh the drivel.
Yep really crappy dealer. McLaren needs to open up new dealerships to make their product more available. Also, seems like there is still room for improvement in their build quality.
Old 12-24-2019, 04:35 PM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Yep really crappy dealer. McLaren needs to open up new dealerships to make their product more available. Also, seems like there is still room for improvement in their build quality.
mclaren will skyrocket as a brand if they let independent shops work and service their cars.

As far as opening up new dealerships- I’m sure that will happen when demand catches up.

for the record- close to 4K miles on my 720. No major issues with the car. My car alarm started to go off on its own in the middle of the night but other than that- no problems.
Old 12-24-2019, 04:47 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,099 Likes on 1,011 Posts

mclaren will skyrocket as a brand if they let independent shops work and service their cars.

As far as opening up new dealerships- I’m sure that will happen when demand catches up.

for the record- close to 4K miles on my 720. No major issues with the car. My car alarm started to go off on its own in the middle of the night but other than that- no problems.
spot on ......I bleed Porsche, but I do try other brands because of the experience. I have 3 MAC friends I drive with and between them they’ve owned over 10 MAC’s and still own them. No major issues other than stupid crap like you said horns and minor issues. Problem on forums people tell what they’ve heard many cases vs real life experience. I’ve heard here Ferrari treats people like crap and I’ve had zero issues with them, just got a call do I want to spec a F8. Said nope I’m good but will send them business you give you get. Stop by the Porsche dealers to say hey to the guys just to say hello. Was driving my 675LT Saturday and my fluid light came on for power steering, and I called my sales guy he met me the service bay with the tech who topped of the car and no issues. Treat people right good goes around.
Old 12-24-2019, 04:51 PM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Maverick787
spot on ......I bleed Porsche, but I do try other brands because of the experience. I have 3 MAC friends I drive with and between them there owned over 10 MAC’s and still own them. No major issues other than stupid crap like you said horns and minor issues. Problem on forums people tell what they’ve heard any many cases vs real life experience. I’ve heard here Ferrari treats people like crap and I’ve had zero issues with them, just got a call do I want to spec a F8. Said nope I’m good but will send them business you give you get. Stop by the Porsche dealers to say hey to the guys just to say hello. Was driving my 675LT Saturday and my fluid light came on for power steering, and I called my sales guy he met me the service bay with the tech who topped of the car and no issues. Treat people right good goes around.
well said. I’m not brand loyal. Own a Ferrari, own a Mclaren, have owned multiple Porsche’s- am currently looking to add another. All have their pros and cons. Treat the dealers well and they will treat u well.

and 40 minute internet rants about defective cars can be had on every manufacturer. I’d rather drive my car for 40 minutes than to listen someone ramble on how bad a car dealer is.

Quick Reply: McLaren Success