Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

McLaren Success

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2020, 08:31 PM
unotaz
Drifting

Received 974 Likes on 424 Posts

If we are using modern supercar as the interpretation, then the only 911 that will qualify is the GT2RS. The GT3RS is just too slow with insufficient horsepower.

But for me, a 911 is too common to be justified as a supercar. A 911 is just a sports car in my book. Supercar is for cars like F12 TDF, Ford GT, 458 Speciale, Aventador SVJ etc. Hypercar is for 918 Spyder, P1, LaFerrari, Senna, Project 1 etc.

Carrera GT and Enzo are also supercars, even though they have all carbon constructions, they are too slow to fit the definition of a hypercar.

While money is a factor in determining whether the car is a supercar or not, it’s not the most important factor. My 993 GT2 is plenty valuable, but it ain’t no supercar in my book.

Originally Posted by RoyalPink
To me the term "exotic" is passé. It was a colloquial term that basically meant an Italian car like Ferrari or Lamborghini. Today the modern term is "supercar" which means a car of limited production, race car type looks, lightweight, high-end materials/construction and high performance. All of which fits a 2, 3 RS. For a good sports car reference. A Mazda Miata is a sports car.
The following users liked this post:
Guest89 (08-05-2020)
Old 08-05-2020, 08:44 PM
unotaz
Drifting

Received 974 Likes on 424 Posts

There is a much easier method to figure this out.

Park a Mclaren 720S and a 911 GT3RS next to each other. Ask a 5 years old kid which one looks cooler. That’s your answer.

Do the same thing with an Aventador SVJ and a 911 GT3RS parked next to each other. Ask the same thing. You will surprise to see how accurate the answer coming out of a 5 years old is actually reflecting the general population’s perception of a 911 as just a mere sports car.

Originally Posted by Drifting
Agree with you three. An exotic was defined for most of the past 50 years as a colloquial term for either a Ferrari or Lamborghini. It is a bit passé these days. Either exotic or supercar could be used interchangeably now for cars of —-limited production, special materials, race car looks, and high performance. A GT3/RS/2RS fits that criteria as does a 488, Maclaren, Lambo.

Regarding rarity as a criteria, I see more Ferraris, Lambos, macs on the road than I see GT3s/RSs/2RSs.

Only the Hypercars truly have a word reserved only for them in the modern automotive world.
I.e. 918, la Ferrari, p1. Only those cars have their own unique category.
Old 08-05-2020, 09:22 PM
RoyalPink
Burning Brakes

Received 662 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by unotaz

Park a Mclaren 720S and a 911 GT3RS next to each other. Ask a 5 years old kid which one looks cooler. That’s your answer.

Do the same thing with an Aventador SVJ and a 911 GT3RS parked next to each other. Ask the same thing. You will surprise to see how accurate the answer coming out of a 5 years old is actually reflecting the general population’s perception of a 911 as just a mere sports car.
Sounds like conjecture to me.
Old 08-05-2020, 09:25 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 816 Likes on 429 Posts

I would categorize all 911s, regardless of variants, to be a sports car and not an exotic. While some 911 variants offer supercar like performance (eg. GT2RS), it is fundamentally just a sports car.

That's like calling the Mustang Shelby GT500 an exotic because it has 750hp and it is just as fast as some of the supercar. There is nothing on the Mustang that can be considered as an exotic

Criteria for an exotic:
- Exotics looks
- Rarity, not something made in the tens of thousands, and not based on a mass produced platform
- Expensive as heck to service and maintain (eg. windshield on a 458 Speciale is 6k, not 1k on a 911)
- Build from exotic materials
Yes. Your definition of exotic and your criteria. However, even by your criteria:
1. Exotic looks. Subjective.To my eyes 3RS and 2RS are exotic looking.
2. Rarity. They weren’t made in the 10s of thousands. Massed produced platform? Hmmm, that would disqualify most modern era Ferrari’s.
3. RSs I’m sure are expensive to service out of warranty.
4. Magnesium and carbon fiber are exotic materials in car production.

Nevertheless using common definitions of exotic cars they qualify also.

Or...

https://www.exoticcarlist.com/blog/t...oming-in-2018/

Point being what qualifies as an exotic car is pretty broad.

To me basically distills down to being above average in price, has a unique or special quality and takes more than normal effort to acquire when new and or used and you don’t see a lot of them in the wild.
Old 08-05-2020, 10:50 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,099 Likes on 1,011 Posts

I think many of you need to read the 1st post it was not a pro Mclaren post, but more of a new entrant post that’s gaining market share good or bad? They’re selling cars, and a 10 year old company is moving share off someone based on their product. I was not a fan, and listened to all the chatter and I said let me try it because I like cars .......I’ve had nothing but a good experience with the car and my dealer is fantastic. Also when I purchased they added a warranty, and my service appointments they meet me at the door and I get a 720S loaner. It’s a selling brand, and people are buying .....by the way I love my Porsche’s with zero complaints. I’m a car guy, and being a single brand guy you only see one brand you become blinded to what’s out there.

I do buy cars for appreciation not depreciation as a car is sunk cost for me to drive and enjoy/not collect. I hate to see what this thread has become as it was never intended Porsche vs Mclaren .....I get it it’s a Porsche site! But I own many brands, and thought it would be a good discussion with mature owners clearly not the case. But I will say it’s been a 3 year conversation, and we all should be car guys to chat about what’s out there. The question I think for many owners is a 911 a 300k car NO, and that’s what it has become because of drama, and ADM. Many have paid 100K to 200K for GT2RS, GT3RS, and Speedster’s all now at MSRP or below?? Now many want to trade for the GT3RS 2022 that’s not even out for minimal performance? Let’s all be honest it’s not about performance but the new Porsche .......I’ve had many Porsche’s and my 675LT makes me say of sh@t this is fun. Don’t care about depreciation because my 51 year old body is not worth my 41 year old body, and when I die my kids will have more crap than than they use or spend so please stop with depreciation (:

Last edited by Maverick787; 08-05-2020 at 11:46 PM.
Old 08-05-2020, 10:51 PM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Received 2,269 Likes on 945 Posts

Originally Posted by Guest89
The highly sought-after McLaren GT, I reckon (I actually like the car, in particular in the very ‘90s Pacific Blue color)

As far as Track 25, I suspect (as I have posted previously in this thread) that the equity offerings that took place earlier this year were rights offerings and that the shareholder composition didn’t change materially, if at all - i.e., Mumtalakat is still in charge. Perhaps the Bahrainis and the new CEO have abandoned Track 25.

To the above point, this is how Camilleri responded to a research analyst question about (unnamed) competing marques in Ferrari’s Q2 earnings call:
I tried to like the GT. I really did. I just don’t see the purpose of the car. They advertise trunk space and a daily driver but I just don’t see how it’s different from a 570 GT. The Pacific Blue is very nice but regardless- that car has been a flop for mclaren.

I guess from a “regular car” we have the 765 coupe and spider and then the 570 replacement but not sure Mclaren can survive in that.
Old 08-05-2020, 11:06 PM
RoyalPink
Burning Brakes

2021 is a new car year for me so I decided on the AMG GT Black Series as I had a GTR prior. My MB dealer is a 5-minute drive from my house. If I had a McLaren dealer 5 minutes from my house instead of 400 miles. I'd probably have gone for a 765 LT. Being in relative close proximity to a servicing dealer I'd venture to say is an important factor for most on here. I'm still surprised by the fact there is no McLaren dealer in Vegas which is 105 miles south of me.
Old 08-05-2020, 11:09 PM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

2021 is a new car year for me so I decided on the AMG GT Black Series as I had a GTR prior. My MB dealer is a 5-minute drive from my house. If I had a McLaren dealer 5 minutes from my house instead of 400 miles. I'd probably have gone for a 765 LT. Being in relative close proximity to a servicing dealer I'd venture to say is an important factor for most on here. I'm still surprised by the fact there is no McLaren dealer in Vegas which is 105 miles south of me.
I had heard they are opening a Mclaren dealership in Vegas. The closest one to you is probably the one in Scottsdale.
Old 08-05-2020, 11:51 PM
RoyalPink
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Yippiekiaye
I had heard they are opening a Mclaren dealership in Vegas. The closest one to you is probably the one in Scottsdale.
I've heard that as well but who really knows for sure. Would be great if they do.
Old 08-06-2020, 12:09 AM
horns
Pro

Received 198 Likes on 106 Posts

If we are using modern supercar as the interpretation, then the only 911 that will qualify is the GT2RS. The GT3RS is just too slow with insufficient horsepower.
It's kinda funny that people that own millions of dollars worth of cars are arguing over what is a supercar. I'm not going to dive into those waters, but in what sense is a GT3RS too slow? I have to think a lot more emphasis is being placed on roll racing speed than road course speed..
Old 08-06-2020, 12:24 AM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by horns
It's kinda funny that people that own millions of dollars worth of cars are arguing over what is a supercar. I'm not going to dive into those waters, but in what sense is a GT3RS too slow? I have to think a lot more emphasis is being placed on roll racing speed than road course speed..
I don’t think anyone is saying the 3rs is in and of itself slow. But compared to some of the aforementioned super cars, it’s relatively slow. Doesn’t make it a bad car by any means. It’s a spectacular piece of machine.
Old 08-06-2020, 12:30 AM
RoyalPink
Burning Brakes

Anyone who says a GT3 RS is slow is talking gibberish - just my opinion.
Old 08-06-2020, 12:32 AM
AllAboutThatP
Burning Brakes

Received 565 Likes on 279 Posts

Definitely some truth there. When I asked my kids (all under teen age still) which car they liked better, they all said the 600LT, without hesitation. That being said, I think the GT3RS is a beautiful car. It’s not as exotic looking as the Mac, but beautiful in a more sophisticated, timeless way.

The 918 is probably one of the most gorgeous cars ever made IMO. I’m jealous of yours.
Old 08-06-2020, 12:36 AM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 201 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Yippiekiaye
I tried to like the GT. I really did. I just don’t see the purpose of the car. They advertise trunk space and a daily driver but I just don’t see how it’s different from a 570 GT. The Pacific Blue is very nice but regardless- that car has been a flop for mclaren.

I guess from a “regular car” we have the 765 coupe and spider and then the 570 replacement but not sure Mclaren can survive in that.
The purpose of the GT - in my opinion - was to build another model line out of McLaren’s basic building blocks.

The problem, based on commentary, is that the car is neither fish nor fowl: It is the least sportive McLaren (who wants to buy the least sporty car from a company that only makes “supercars” - ?) but cannot with a straight face be called a “Grand Tourer” in the modern conception of the term because it falls short of offerings from Ferrari, Aston Martin, Bentley, Merc, BMW, etc. in that category. The niche is too thin.

Regardless, I like the looks of the GT and suspect it is an excellent road car.

The “I know it when I see it” definition is the most accurate description in my opinion; there are a multitude of opinions in this thread about what constitutes a “supercar” or “hypercar,” and there is considerable debate about whether any 911 variant qualifies - a few observations:

Most (all?) participants in this thread own or have owned a 911, and probably a rare, more expensive, more sporting version vs. the most commonly seen variants (i.e., GTx cars); the fact that there is significant debate over whether or not any 911 is a supercar indicates that it probably is not a supercar

Some don’t care whether or not their / any 911 is a supercar, in particular those contributors who own vehicles whose supercar bona fides are not in doubt - wonder why?

I don’t think that there’s any debate that all McLarens are supercars (notwithstanding the fact that McLaren themselves call the “entry-level” cars Sport Series!)
Old 08-06-2020, 01:25 AM
nolocontendere
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 33 Posts

Anyone who says a GT3 RS is slow is talking gibberish - just my opinion.
It is slow (acceleration wise) compared to a 675LT. Don’t get me wrong, the Gt3rs is great in its own right, but my 675LT is an absolute rocket ship, even as a spider which makes it even better

Last edited by nolocontendere; 08-06-2020 at 05:05 PM.

Quick Reply: McLaren Success