Sponsored by:

OT: AMG GT R

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2016, 08:08 AM
fastmd
Burning Brakes

Received 281 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by NateOZ
My local dealers (all 3 of them) have no idea and still tell me the car can't be ordered...
Order banks were open for about 10 days at the end of October, all dealers who were approved to order received a communication through their star system(or whatever it's called) to put in their confirmed customers. I could dig up the email/letter if you like.
Old 12-13-2016, 10:14 AM
Nacelle
Rennlist Member

Received 164 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by fastmd
Order banks were open for about 10 days at the end of October, all dealers who were approved to order received a communication through their star system(or whatever it's called) to put in their confirmed customers. I could dig up the email/letter if you like.
Ya... trying to figure this out as well.
Old 12-13-2016, 11:47 AM
jpohill
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nacelle
Ya... trying to figure this out as well.
I have Magnetite Black coming April / May

The 1st wave of allocations were appox 60 cars. If you had not been on approved list (yourself and dealer) no allocation came.
The next round is set to allocate approx. at delivery of 1st cars - these cars delivered in early Q3 and repeat - Approx 200 cars this year.

Your dealer should have some insight into all of this - I believe there is a single contact point in Atlanta controlling the Allocations - Hint Hint.
Old 12-13-2016, 12:04 PM
Nacelle
Rennlist Member

Received 164 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by jpohill
I have Magnetite Black coming April / May

The 1st wave of allocations were appox 60 cars. If you had not been on approved list (yourself and dealer) no allocation came.
The next round is set to allocate approx. at delivery of 1st cars - these cars delivered in early Q3 and repeat - Approx 200 cars this year.

Your dealer should have some insight into all of this - I believe there is a single contact point in Atlanta controlling the Allocations - Hint Hint.
Thanks....
Old 12-13-2016, 01:43 PM
nxfedlt1
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by fastmd
I did, in the green hell Magno, was told April/may 2017.
love it! I couldnt pull the trigger on that color. I wanted to, but chickened out. Will look great! I'm anxious to hear your comparison to the 675, as I either want to get another GT-C or the spyder next for a summer home.
Old 12-13-2016, 02:23 PM
Chris3963
Rennlist Member

Received 1,089 Likes on 386 Posts

I have ordered a Selenit Grey car with yellow brake calipers, yellow stitching inside and yellow seat belts. I really, really wanted to order Hell Green but also chickened out because of the matte finished. Delivery expected in July.

It's going to be an interesting year. I have an M2 due in March. A 991.2 GT3 in June, followed by AMG GTR in July. Yum!
Old 12-13-2016, 02:38 PM
nxfedlt1
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris3963
I have ordered a Selenit Grey car with yellow brake calipers, yellow stitching inside and yellow seat belts. I really, really wanted to order Hell Green but also chickened out because of the matte finished. Delivery expected in July.

It's going to be an interesting year. I have an M2 due in March. A 991.2 GT3 in June, followed by AMG GTR in July. Yum!
exact same car I ordered but no yellow belts!
Old 12-13-2016, 02:50 PM
Outlaw
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Great year indeed. Looking forward to your impressions on .2 and GT R
Old 12-13-2016, 08:29 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A 991.2 GT3 in June? How do you know this already?
Old 12-13-2016, 09:22 PM
kingjr9000
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Suspension: Motorsport technology for top racetrack performance

The suspension of the new AMG high-performance sports model is also systematically designed for racetrack use. Wishbones, steering knuckles and hub carriers on the front and rear axle are manufactured entirely out of forged aluminium in order to reduce the unsprung masses. The double-wishbone concept locates the wheel firmly, with minimal elastic movements. The high camber and toe-in stability results in high cornering speeds and also provides the driver with an optimum feel for the road when cornering at the extreme limits.

The uniball spherical bearings on the lower wishbones of the rear axle are also inspired by motorsport. They are significantly more wear-resistant than wishbone bushings and due to their design have no play, which means toe-in and camber do not change even under high loads. As a result, the AMG GT R can be driven with even more precision.

In addition, the rear axle is fitted with a thicker tubular anti-roll bar. It has been adapted to the heightened driving dynamics requirements of the AMG GT R and saves weight due to its hollow design.

New development: AMG coil-over suspension

The new AMG coil-over suspension was designed specifically for the AMG GT R. This technology familiar from motorsport is combined with the AMG RIDE CONTROL continuously variable, adaptive damping system. The system is controlled electronically and adjusts the damping at each wheel automatically to suit the current driving situation, the current speed and the road or track surface.

The damping characteristics are modulated rapidly and precisely by two separate valves for the rebound and compression forces in the dampers. A harder damping rate, for example when cornering and braking, effectively reduces rolling movements.

The continuous adjustment of the damping to the current speed also ensures the best possible road contact even at high speeds, thus enhancing safety.

Adaptive damping adjustment in three stages

The driver can also adjust the adaptive damping characteristics at the touch of a button in the AMG DRIVE UNIT or by using the AMG DYNAMIC SELECT drive modes. Three modes are available: "Comfort", "Sport" and "Sport Plus". The purpose of each of the three damping characteristics is clear: "Comfort" is the right choice for public roads; "Sport" is perfect for racetracks like the North Circuit of the Nürburgring, in other words for highly dynamic driving on partially undulating racetracks with maximum surface contact. "Sport Plus" is ideal for more flat, modern Grand Prix circuits such as Hockenheim and conveys a high degree of structural rigidity.

Conventional suspension measures include the wider front and rear track as well as the standard-fit Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 tyres, of size 275/35 ZR 19 at the front and 325/30 ZR 20 at the rear. The street-legal racing tyres allow faster laps and up to 50 percent more mileage on the racetrack.

Agility and stability: the active rear-wheel steering

The new AMG GT R is even more sensitive to steering inputs thanks to standard-fit active rear-wheel steering, which is being used for the first time on a Mercedes-AMG model. The system offers an ideal combination of agility and stability ‑ handling characteristics that are normally in direct conflict.

Two steering actuators replace the conventional control arms on the rear axle of the AMG GT R. At the heart of the system are two electro-mechanical actuators (electric motors with jackscrew) that are not mechanically connected to the steering wheel.

This "by-wire" system adjusts the rear wheels within a predefined operating map by means of electronic control. The maximum toe angle change on the rear wheels of the AMG GT R is 1.5 degrees.

Up to a speed of 100 km/h, the rear wheels are turned in the opposite direction to the front wheels, corresponding to a virtual shortening of the wheelbase. The advantage of the AMG GT R is far more agile when steering into bends, resulting in even greater driving enjoyment and less steering effort ‑ especially on small and winding roads, narrow racetracks on which there are multiple changes in direction, or slalom courses. Further benefits include increased manoeuvrability and a smaller turning circle in everyday driving situations ‑ such as when turning or parking.

Once the speed of the AMG GT R exceeds 100 km/h, the system turns the rear wheels in the same direction as the front wheels, corresponding to a virtual lengthening of the wheelbase and improving handling stability. At the same time, the lateral force on the rear wheels builds up considerably faster when changing direction, which makes the response to steering inputs quicker. Drivers also notice that the AMG GT R delivers massive grip on the rear axle and strong stability during fast changes in direction.

The active rear-wheel steering not only improves cornering, it also assists the driver in the event of sudden evasive manoeuvres and thus enhances active safety, This makes the AMG GT R easier to control at the limit.

The standard 3-stage ESP® with the settings "ESP ON", "ESP SPORT Handling Mode" and "ESP OFF" works in perfect unison with the limited-slip differential and is optimally adapted to the outstanding driving dynamics of the AMG GT R. The programming for the “ESP OFF” mode is taken from the AMG GT3.

Grip to the power of nine: AMG TRACTION CONTROL

In “ESP OFF” mode, another innovation allows the driver to exert even more influence on the handling characteristics of the AMG GT R. The new AMG TRACTION CONTROL system also comes directly from motorsport. It allows drivers to pre-select the slip on the driven rear axle in nine levels. Just like in the current AMG GT3, it isolates the grip on the driven wheels and does not affect the stabilisation provided by the ESP®. Corresponding characteristic maps are programmed into the vehicle electronics to this end.

Control is via a special rotary switch located in the centre console below the ventilation outlets. Depending on the setting, the system permits more or less slip on the rear wheels ‑ very helpful in varying road conditions. Level 1 is programmed for driving in the wet with high safety reserves. Level 9 allows maximum slip on the rear axle. A luminescent band of LEDs around the rotary switch indicates the current setting ‑ this display logic likewise has its origins in motorsport. In addition, the setting is indicated on the instrument cluster's central display.

The AMG development has a major advantage over conventional systems in that it anticipates situations with the help of a virtual µ(mu) simulator and other data processed by a control unit within fractions of a second. The maximum permissible drive slip at the rear wheels is calculated depending on the selected AMG TRACTION CONTROL setting. When the wheels reach this level of slip during acceleration, the traction control modulates the engine output so that this level is not exceeded and the vehicle continues accelerating with this specified slip. The effect of the electronic limited-slip differential is also included in the adjustment scope. This control therefore takes place without lag, further enhancing both driving enjoyment and performance.

The driver receives assistance for one of the most challenging aspects of driving, namely selecting the optimum engine torque and the optimum torque increase when accelerating out of a turn. Drivers can get as much grip as they want and have dialled in. The precisely measured power delivery of the engine when accelerating out of a turn is one of the most important criteria for achieving a top lap time.

Electronically controlled: the rear-axle locking differential

As standard, the AMG GT R is equipped with an electronically controlled limited-slip differential on the rear axle, which is integrated into the compact transmission housing. Its sensitive and rapid control elevates the physical handling limits to a new level. It not only further improves the grip of the driven wheels, but also increases the cornering speeds at the limit. The system operates with a variable locking effect in acceleration and overrun mode, and is perfectly fitted to various handling conditions and road friction coefficients.

Variable ratio: speed-sensitive sports steering

The speed-sensitive sports steering features a variable steering ratio, which enhances vehicle handling and agility at low speeds while maintaining driving safety at high speeds. The power assistance is a particular highlight: It responds not only depending on the given road speed, but also according to the current lateral acceleration and the selected AMG DYNAMIC SELECT drive mode. The result: The driver has a perfect feel for the vehicle thanks to the direct feedback from the road.

Fade-resistance and consistent performance: the brakes

The high-performance compound braking system ensures excellent deceleration and high fade-resistance with internally ventilated and perforated brake discs of diameter 390 millimetres on the front axle and 360 millimetres on the rear axle. The brake callipers are painted yellow as standard. They are also optionally available in red for no extra charge.

A ceramic high-performance composite brake system is available as an option. The advantages of this system are a weight saving of approx.15 kilograms, a longer service life and even better fade resistance thanks to the ceramic brake discs with a diameter of 402 millimetres at the front and 360 millimetres at the rear.
Old 12-13-2016, 09:23 PM
kingjr9000
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

TG review
http://www.topgear.com/car-reviews/m...to/first-drive
Old 12-14-2016, 08:39 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
I respectfully disagree. There is an incredible granularity and sense of connectedness to the mclaren steering which is simply not there in Porsche electric steering. The current p-cars steering doesn't feel connected to anything mechanical, the mclaren steering "talks" to you.
All you guys must be driving a different 991 than I am. After the geo check it has been the most response and chatty steering I've ever had ! Direct link into my steering cortex ...
Old 12-14-2016, 08:44 AM
Chris3963
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bronson7
A 991.2 GT3 in June? How do you know this already?
My dealer already has his allocations for 2017. He got 4 slots. I am first in queue. First slot is June (first month of production)..... Should get the car late June...or maybe early July. I have reported this in other posts.
Old 12-14-2016, 08:51 AM
RealityGT
Drifting

Received 239 Likes on 139 Posts

My dealer already has his allocations for 2017. He got 4 slots. I am first in queue. First slot is June (first month of production)..... Should get the car late June...or maybe early July. I have reported this in other posts.
I still don't understand how you've been allocated a car that doesn't (technically) exist yet. Or how Europe dealers are privy to such advance information..
Old 12-14-2016, 09:07 AM
Chris3963
Rennlist Member

The European dealers have been allocated their slots for 2017 production. Final pricing and config details are released January 9th. I will be able to configure my car on, or about, January 10th.

Quick Reply: OT: AMG GT R