Received 132 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by rm21
Top 10 Reasons to be happy for the OP

10. His post generated more excitement on RL than an fxz 991.2 prediction
9. Being offered the title of honorary Smokies mascot by Mayur and Sean
8. Set a new bar for what heat-cycled really means
7. No need to worry about further diminished value from track usage/incidents
6. Will run faster lap times in rebuilt car
5. Gets to drive with all of his mods, knowing that none of them will result in a warranty denial
4. Being taken care of by Porsche, and then some (don't ask for details)
3. Gets new and more reliable G+ series engine
2. May reach 180 track days, all under warranty
1. Still has his sense of humor

For all the guys with more attorneys than the OP, and who could easily get a new car if this happened to them, bravo. Glad that you and Marv are on the same page.
Post of the week on Rennlist.

Something to be said for buying a car and mentally treat it like it's worth 0$! Those are the fastest and most fun.
Old 12-06-2016, 01:32 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 816 Likes on 429 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
It depends on how widespread the problem is. We hear about the cars that have issues, but we hear less about the ones without issues, most of which aren't on RL.

I can't see them doing another recall, with the attendant bad publicity and high cost, if the problem isn't quite widespread and/or a liability issue related to safety. We may just need to live with them honoring warranty coverage during the warranty period, and hopefully also doing the right thing after warranties expire.
We do know a good number of cars have failed. Rich's failure and Carmen's failure just should not have happened. Period. Some have had engines replaced multiple times. The failures all deal with valve train some leading to catastrophic failure. Valve trains should be good for 100,000+ miles or more. According to Macca we know of 35 RL failures on E1 and F engines and likely the number is 10 times that or maybe 20 times that WW that we don't hear about especially with PAG doing fixes under NDA's.

I don't like this anymore than you and it bothers me too but I'm not drinking Koolaide. Never did. Don't like the stuff.

I agree too that a recall would not be good for PR. So a way to resolve the concerns and boost confidence in existing owners and future owners is for PAG to stand behind these engines beyond the 4 years and at least 10 years. If there is no design issue or manufacturing issue this extended assurance as to valve train costs PAG NOTHING or very little and gains them a ALOT of customer confidence and appreciation AND LOYALTY. Owners of these cars dropped $150,000+ large on these cars that were touted and "designed" to handle track use. Thats their raison d'etre. Oui? They are not Ford Focuses.

The above suggestoin would be a win win for PAG and its loyal motorsport custormers and inspire confidence and loyalty for customers down the line.
Old 12-06-2016, 01:56 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,399 Likes on 2,501 Posts

Originally Posted by Waxer
We do know a good number of cars have failed. Rich's failure and Carmen's failure just should not have happened. Period. Some have had engines replaced multiple times. The failures all deal with valve train some leading to catastrophic failure. Valve trains should be good for 100,000+ miles or more. According to Macca we know of 35 RL failures on E1 and F engines and likely the number is 10 times that or maybe 20 times that WW that we don't hear about especially with PAG doing fixes under NDA's.

I don't like this anymore than you and it bothers me too but I'm not drinking Koolaide. Never did. Don't like the stuff.

I agree too that a recall would not be good for PR. So a way to resolve the concerns and boost confidence in existing owners and future owners is for PAG to stand behind these engines beyond the 4 years and at least 10 years. If there is no design issue or manufacturing issue this extended assurance as to valve train costs PAG NOTHING or very little and gains them a ALOT of customer confidence and appreciation AND LOYALTY. Owners of these cars dropped $150,000+ large on these cars that were touted and "designed" to handle track use. Thats their raison d'etre. Oui? They are not Ford Focuses.

The above suggestoin would be a win win for PAG and its loyal motorsport custormers and inspire confidence and loyalty for customers down the line.
Thanks for the data, and agreed on your reasoning. Maybe we should all band together and send Porsche a letter to that effect. Worrying about having to foot the bill for an expensive blown engine and its consequences (eg, fire) is a feeling which tends to taint the driving and ownership experience.
Old 12-06-2016, 02:57 PM
Match-Lave
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Extending warranty would be a great way to solve this issue once and for all. Durability ranked 2nd in my purchase decision and I'm not ashamed to admit this was a stretch purchase for me - not "one in a stable". -I like the idea and believe it is fair for them and us.
Old 12-06-2016, 04:04 PM
IvanBurns
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All of this whining about the decreased value of Rich's car reminds me of the same reaction of some about the diminished value of their new car after Porsche offered to replace the engine with a new one. They were offered (and took) a buyback.

As far as I'm concerned, the whiners don't get it. A new engine is a new engine. And in Rich's case, he's getting a new generation of a new engine. Plus, Porsche, unlike any other manufacturer that I know of, is warranting this engine under track use. Plus, knowing Rich, like me, he'll probably get in more than 100 track hours before the warranty expires and get even another new engine or rebuild under warranty from Porsche. So he, like me, will likely get four engines from Porsche under warranty.

And the whiners need to stop stressing about the strength and paint holding characteristics of heat damage metal. There won't be any heat damaged metal. There will be nothing but new factory OEM parts. That's the way Porsche certified repair shops work. Give it a break, guys!

And finally, I have spent enough time at tracks with Rich to know that the only thing that matters to Rich is how fast the car is and how well it handles on the track. His car will be fine, and he will be a happy camper when he gets it back!

Last edited by IvanBurns; 12-06-2016 at 04:06 PM. Reason: typo
Old 12-06-2016, 04:13 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Well said Ivan. Feel the same way myself.

Rich love your email. You are treating this the right way. I learnt along time ago as a 991 GT owner if you don't laugh about these things then the only thing left is to cry. Pretty tough on Marv though - he's having woman troubles right now apparently I hear lol
Old 12-06-2016, 04:59 PM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Received 126 Likes on 86 Posts

NOBODY has said anything to make OP feel bad. Some of us merely said we'd ASK for a new car, extended warranty, etc. It never hurts to ask. Having said that, if I was the OP, under his circumstances, I'd absolutely feel okay with PAGs solution. It's a good compromise IMO.
Old 12-06-2016, 05:16 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 360 Likes on 217 Posts

Sure,it never hurts to ask. I'd like to ask Jessica Alba if she'll go to bed with me whenever she has some time to kill,but she might say no...
Attached Images  
Old 12-06-2016, 05:26 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 816 Likes on 429 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
Sure,it never hurts to ask. I'd like to ask Jessica Alba if she'll go to bed with me whenever she has some time to kill,but she might say no...
Likely because she'll be with me.
Old 12-06-2016, 07:51 PM
StudGarden
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Match-Lave
Extending warranty would be a great way to solve this issue once and for all. Durability ranked 2nd in my purchase decision and I'm not ashamed to admit this was a stretch purchase for me - not "one in a stable". -I like the idea and believe it is fair for them and us.
As a regular 991S owner who kicks the thought of a GT3 around, I'm watching this closely too. It effects the brand way more than just the customers who buy those models.
Old 12-06-2016, 08:03 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by IvanBurns
So he, like me, will likely get four engines from Porsche under warranty.
What's not to like, right? Except at that engine swap rate, how much would a car like this be worth out of warranty?
Old 12-06-2016, 08:44 PM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by IvanBurns
And the whiners need to stop stressing about the strength and paint holding characteristics of heat damage metal. There won't be any heat damaged metal. There will be nothing but new factory OEM parts. That's the way Porsche certified repair shops work. Give it a break, guys!
Exactly. If it's a got a nick on it, it'll be replaced with a new part. If it's got fire damage, it'll be replaced with a new part. If it's got discoloration or any other potential damage from the heat, it'll be replaced with... you guessed it, a brand new part.

If Porsche, a Porsche-certified body shop, or other experts (i.e. NOT internet pundits ) deem that it'll cost too much to replace every single seemingly affected part, they will say so.

Originally Posted by elp_jc
NOBODY has said anything to make OP feel bad.
Some of you just don't get it, do you?
Old 12-06-2016, 09:12 PM
Mlbraptor
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

rm21; I'm hoping everything works out to your satisfaction...
Old 12-06-2016, 09:12 PM
allans
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

5. Gets to drive with all of his mods, knowing that none of them will result in a warranty denial

For all the guys with more attorneys than the OP, and who could easily get a new car if this happened to them, bravo. Glad that you and Marv are on the same page.
Congrats Rich, Great outcome which will probably only get better. Best, Allan
Old 12-06-2016, 09:19 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,707 Likes on 2,342 Posts

the man knows his sh*t and drives his cars.

and he doesn't whine all day...
you all should go chk out gT4 board... bunch of 12 year olds.
bravo

Quick Reply: My GT3 engine just blew up