Sponsored by:

My GT3 engine just blew up

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2016, 04:14 PM
GT63TT
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
Go buy some Mobil 5W50. On sale now at Napa auto parts. The oil in your car now has sheared down below a 30 weight.
How come the dealer is using a “0-40 mobile 1” Should I go with 5W50 instead? hmm
Old 12-01-2016, 04:29 PM
R.Deacon
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Only collision.
Thanks
I thought that the case
Old 12-01-2016, 04:45 PM
rm21
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Track insurance is only collision. Confirmed that last week with my provider, Open Track.

I don't think Porsche is using the fact that is was tracked as a reason not to write it off. They are going to spend plenty fixing it (to my satisfaction). I think the issue is that they aren't making GT3s anymore, and they aren't going to give me an RS. If they gave me a 991.2, I'd want compensation until I got the car, and that would add up as well. I'd lose the investments in my mods, and a full track season with the GT3. The current solution isn't ideal, but it isn't the end of the world. I smell far worse when I'm on track in the summer than the car will ever smell, and frankly, I think it will smell just fine when they are done with it. A G-engine should get me through the rest of the warranty period and then I'll trade it back to the dealer for something else. If I get anywhere close to 100k for the trade, that will be one very sweet value proposition for 12k track miles.

I think the most important open issue is for Porsche to be transparent with what led to this failure and to ensure steps are taken so it doesn't happen to anyone else in the future (me included!). Personally, I'll increase the frequency of my oil changes and get regular Blackstone check-ups to lower my own risk profile. And of course, I'll keep wearing my three-layer drivers suit...
Old 12-01-2016, 05:00 PM
GT63TT
Instructor

Originally Posted by rm21
Track insurance is only collision. Confirmed that last week with my provider, Open Track.

I think the most important open issue is for Porsche to be transparent with what led to this failure and to ensure steps are taken so it doesn't happen to anyone else in the future (me included!). Personally, I'll increase the frequency of my oil changes and get regular Blackstone check-ups to lower my own risk profile. And of course, I'll keep wearing my three-layer drivers suit...
I agree with you here
Old 12-01-2016, 05:18 PM
seapar
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice to hear good news.
Old 12-01-2016, 05:19 PM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Good news, I guess. But how will they get the stink out of the car from the fire? And who would ever buy a fire damaged GT3 with an engine replacement? Talk about diminished value. If Porsche owns the engine failure, then they need to total the car to make you whole with a replacement or a certified check. A fire repair would not be acceptable to me.
I agree. OP if you can, push for an "equal replacement" from a dealer lot.
Metal going through a fire then quick cooling w/ FE cycles eh. Best of luck.
I'm really,really gutted for you. ugh.
Old 12-01-2016, 05:26 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,410 Likes on 2,516 Posts

Originally Posted by GT63TT
How come the dealer is using a “0-40 mobile 1” Should I go with 5W50 instead? hmm
Mobil 0W40 is cheaper, and fits a wider range of climates and vehicles.

Should you go with 5W50? I think you should. I use it. My UOAs are excellent. It's Porsche A40 approved. Dealerships won't have it in stock. Hand carry.

If you drive in the winter, use 0W40, then switch to 5W50 from March till November. My car gets winter hibernation, so it's full time 5W50.
Old 12-01-2016, 05:35 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 917 Posts

Been following this closely and happy to see the result. Something inside me though would push for a full replacement.. I don't see how that car can be 100% again.
Old 12-01-2016, 05:43 PM
mwar99
Three Wheelin'

Received 424 Likes on 235 Posts

Related to a full replacement Rich is probably correct. They don't have new GT3's getting produced on the production line like they do a "normal" 911. If it is fixed to his satisfaction and is deemed safe by everyone and he doubles his track mileage from here it should be a winning situation for him. I'm not an engineer or a metallurgist so I won't be speculating on what happened from a brief fire.

What I'm more concerned about is if this keeps happening what gets done about what should be an obvious problem to Porsche.
Old 12-01-2016, 05:46 PM
SmokinGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 115 Posts

What has happened to the structural integrity of the car after the metal was super heated. How will you repair it? Personally I would throw out some dollars and get a new RS. Will there be diminished value when the car is repaired, I say yes even with a new engine. What about a buy back and you take your cage and bits with you. With cash in hand you can pick up a 16. Just Saying
Old 12-01-2016, 05:54 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,399 Likes on 2,501 Posts

At least push for extensive replacement of components potentially damaged by the fire, extra warranty coverage, compensation for diminished value, and compensation or a trackable loaner car for the period you're without the GT3 (991.2 C2S or GTS?).
Old 12-01-2016, 05:59 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,410 Likes on 2,516 Posts

Will they have to cut off the right rear quarter and weld in a new one? What about the wiring harness?
Old 12-01-2016, 06:07 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by SmokinGTS
What about a buy back and you take your cage and bits with you. With cash in hand you can pick up a 16.
^this
Old 12-01-2016, 06:55 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,882 Likes on 970 Posts

Originally Posted by R.Deacon
Anyone know if track insurance covers
Mechanical damages ?

I buy On Track policy and assumed for
Physical damage such as a crash
To be covered.
Only collision.
So message here is if you have a mechanical make sure you pull a Maldonado and hit something - joking of course

Originally Posted by rm21

I don't think Porsche is using the fact that is was tracked as a reason not to write it off. They are going to spend plenty fixing it (to my satisfaction). I think the issue is that they aren't making GT3s anymore, and they aren't going to give me an RS. If they gave me a 991.2, I'd want compensation until I got the car, and that would add up as well. I'd lose the investments in my mods, and a full track season with the GT3. The current solution isn't ideal, but it isn't the end of the world. I smell far worse when I'm on track in the summer than the car will ever smell, and frankly, I think it will smell just fine when they are done with it. A G-engine should get me through the rest of the warranty period and then I'll trade it back to the dealer for something else. If I get anywhere close to 100k for the trade, that will be one very sweet value proposition for 12k track miles...
Sounds like a good outcome to me and I'm sure it'll be fixed correctly. Piece of mind having the latest updated motor is worth a lot IMO.
Old 12-01-2016, 07:02 PM
IvanBurns
Instructor

Rich - In my experience, a Porsche approved/certified body shop does not "repair" components, they "replace" with OEM parts. You won't have any heat fatigued components. I think that you'll be fine with the results.

Let's hope that it gets done pretty quickly!

Quick Reply: My GT3 engine just blew up