Sponsored by:

My GT3 engine just blew up

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2016, 11:48 AM
mwar99
Three Wheelin'

Received 457 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by Marv800
Rich, I'm glad you're happy, but I wouldn't be. In every other possible scenario, the car would probably deemed a total loss, yet PCNA thinks repair to "new" condition is possible? Would that have been there conclusion if the GT3 production run was not over?
How does speculation of if they were still making the cars matter? I would believe the only difference that would make in the decision is cost. It would most likely be cheaper to give him a new car then rebuild. So since they are not still producing then their only choice is to rebuild at a high cost.

This is the decision made and for now he is good with it. And I don't see how they can't get it back to like new. Rebuild the back end with new parts and it should be like new as long as it's done right.
Old 12-05-2016, 01:28 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,555 Likes on 2,588 Posts

No part of the car was new at the time of the fire, but many parts of the car, including the engine, will be new after the repair. So there are factors that both diminish and increase the value of the car. I personally would pursue a diminished value claim, and compensation for not having use of the car while it's under repair.
Old 12-05-2016, 06:54 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would not be happy with the outcome but I'm thinking there wasn't another offer to Rich. As long as Rich is happy that's all that matters. As far as value goes, I would say, regardless of the new engine and most of the back end replacement, the potential future value would be lower vs this event not happening at all. Just my opinion.
Old 12-05-2016, 07:08 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by rosenbergendo
I wouldn't touch that car for street (possible accident in rear quarter) or god forbid the track. Insist on check and new car. Car is a total write off. And no you won't be able to get 100k for it with it's past.

Agree with you. With that fire damage any sheet metal involved in the fire is questionable.

How can Porsche "guarantee" the car is roadworthy in the context of a GT3 after that kind of damage?

I think it mistake to insist Porsche fix the car. (And I wouldn't be surprised if Porsche had second thoughts and ultimately declines repairing the car. A lot less risk involved.)

If the car is "fixed" I'd not want that car if it was traded in. Not for $100K not for $10K. Well, maybe $10K. For parts.

To the OP: I'd ask for a check, a big check, and go find another car. That one's good only for parts.
Old 12-05-2016, 07:54 PM
MileHigh911
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd just ask them to put the RS4.0 motor in it. Have a 1 of 1 car built by Porsche. Then let's see what the future value is!!!
Old 12-05-2016, 07:54 PM
MileHigh911
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Oh...and while they are at it.......Paint to Sample
Old 12-05-2016, 08:00 PM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
Agree with you. With that fire damage any sheet metal involved in the fire is questionable.

How can Porsche "guarantee" the car is roadworthy in the context of a GT3 after that kind of damage?

I think it mistake to insist Porsche fix the car. (And I wouldn't be surprised if Porsche had second thoughts and ultimately declines repairing the car. A lot less risk involved.)

If the car is "fixed" I'd not want that car if it was traded in. Not for $100K not for $10K. Well, maybe $10K. For parts.

To the OP: I'd ask for a check, a big check, and go find another car. That one's good only for parts.
I do not want to stab the sword further to make the wound bigger but yeah- like i said and initiated the talk about metal fatigue due to heat cycle (non controlled environment/ chemical bonding phase), i'd take a check for what i paid for or going in trade in value/ private sale and go buy another. I'm within a 99.99% probably of certainty that 99.99% of individuals on this board would NOT touch that car with a 1,000 foot pole if sold private party anywhere within the margins of other similar cars selling, unless at 65% of what other cars are going for(not including it will take any shop to do the work ~6 months). Those whom are saying "oh its great and better then ever w/ latest engine and longer warranty", PM the OP and do a straight swap of cars , i'll pay the taxes and registration fees- i bet no one steps up.

Last edited by F1CrazyDriver; 12-05-2016 at 08:22 PM.
Old 12-05-2016, 08:18 PM
JCtx
Three Wheelin'

Received 188 Likes on 137 Posts

I'd negotiate what was paid for the car plus mods, and pay difference for a new RS (if desired). Or just get what paid for car, removed mods, and get something else. One more who wouldn't want that car repaired. If Porsche wouldn't agree to either of those options, then no choice. But wouldn't hurt to try. Good luck OP.
Old 12-05-2016, 08:24 PM
allans
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, So many woulda, shoulda, coulda's. I'm sure Rich will manage the outcome without so much ill founded advice from the forum. IMO only. Best, Allan

Last edited by allans; 12-05-2016 at 11:03 PM.
Old 12-05-2016, 08:53 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 378 Likes on 226 Posts

Everyone has an opinion about what the OP should be doing but they're not in his situation. I am not either but I have a feeling it sucks big time. You're at PAG and PCNA's mercy. A major player is the dealer and how they choose to represent you. Sure you can fight and ask for more,but in the end they'll pretty much do what they want within the limits of their obligations. What else can you do if you don't get what you want? You can sue,but the question is if one wants to go through that hassle,time and money consuming process,against PCNA's army of lawyers. I guess you could also try and wage a media war to tarnish their reputation. But all these are bitter and nerve consuming processes which might not accomplish anything.
Old 12-05-2016, 09:05 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,687 Likes on 785 Posts

^^ exactly.
Who wants the headache. **** happens.

If they fix it right, or even keep fixing it I'd be OK with that.
Old 12-05-2016, 09:14 PM
RealityGT
Drifting

Received 264 Likes on 159 Posts

^+1
Lot's of salt on an open wound, boys.. OP tracks his car. It will be rebuilt and he will be faster. It will live on in infamy..
Old 12-05-2016, 11:04 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

^^^ Last two posts spot on IMO. Difficult to negotiate from a position of questionable strength, and too painful to litigate with uncertainty. Life short, its a car for using on the track, OP has been made mostly whole, use the car some more and trade it for the next IMO. Its not like the price has bombed on GT3s, heck weve pretty much been given a zero depreciation track ***** to use and abuse for teh last few years - cant ask for much more than that - cheaper than shopping, drugs or gambling as a hobby!
Old 12-05-2016, 11:24 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,687 Likes on 785 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
^^^ heck weve pretty much been given a zero depreciation track ***** to use and abuse for teh last few years - cant ask for much more than that - cheaper than shopping, drugs or gambling as a hobby!
No depreciation or repairs since 2007 and 40-50 track days a year.
Gimme me a better track day solution I fit in and I'll start bitching at Porsche. As long as they keep is on the track under warranty or "Good will" we are winning.

That no Clubsport option in a box is annoying though.
Old 12-06-2016, 02:17 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 12,122 Likes on 5,270 Posts

I think the larger, and more important, point here is that PAG is standing behind their product and warranty claim, no questions (that we know of) asked.

For that, we (including the OP) should be encouraged.

Quick Reply: My GT3 engine just blew up