Sponsored by:

911R Driving Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2018, 07:58 AM
Brian Himmelman
Burning Brakes

Received 287 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by BusDriver
Interesting discussion on making a 911 GT3 manual into a 911R. Of course, given enough time and money, it can be done – same as a 73 911 RS can be recreated from a more common model of a similar vintage. But a replica is almost never a 100% accurate recreation, and to me – instead of standing on its own, only serves to enhance the specialness of the original.

So, here is some food for thought…

Instead of spending significant $$$ to convert one carefully developed Porsche recipe – the GT3 – into another – the 911R, and ending up with something that is neither fish nor fowl, one could make their own recipe with the GT3. For example, it would be fun to make a truly unique 911 GT3 – e.g, add back seats, folding carbon buckets in the front, light Mg wheels, battery, and other parts from Robert Linton, custom paint, special exhaust and engine tuning, etc.

Of course, one wouldn’t get their money back from such a car and it wouldn’t be collectible. But then again, the same applies to a GT3 based 911R replica. But in the above example, the end result would be a truly unique car and that is exactly to your taste.
Recipe ... like Colonial Sanders the Cadbury secret !!

Last edited by Brian Himmelman; 09-15-2018 at 09:29 AM. Reason: Upgrade
Old 09-15-2018, 08:33 AM
Brian Himmelman
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Reza
I really do feel sorry for you; somewhere along the lines, something in your life must have really altered your path. I truly hope you find peace and happiness at some point
so self actualized !! Enjoy the yoga and Tofurkey ... lol

Last edited by Brian Himmelman; 09-15-2018 at 08:45 AM. Reason: Error
Old 09-15-2018, 08:43 AM
Brian Himmelman
Burning Brakes

Agreed completely. Thank you!

Duplicating alignment settings from the 911R to the RS or Touring would be interesting and probably result in a looser car, but there is more to the complete package. For example, the R also has unique RWS calibration, unique damper settings, and the R's mechanical LSD has unique overrun and acceleration locking characteristics.

BTW, if I were trying to add agility to an RS or Touring, first thing would be to equip the car with ceramic brakes (if not already the case), then swap to lightweight forged wheels with appropriate tires, then perhaps a differently calibrated LSD, and only then iterate on alignment (incl corner balancing) to preference.

There is no easy or cost effective path to duplicate the factory hotrod 911R, but there are many ways to make an RS or Touring with a very personalized fun car.
Oo
Old 09-15-2018, 08:51 AM
Brian Himmelman
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Brian Himmelman

better yet, drop the improved .2 engine in the R and adjust chassis so it is no longer an ice cream truck for handling

so

Last edited by Brian Himmelman; 09-15-2018 at 09:19 AM.
Old 09-15-2018, 08:57 AM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,092 Likes on 1,009 Posts

Interesting thread here, and I would buy an R at right price as many would here. A numbered plate GT car will always do well not sure I agree with the above. Remember its a 200k car that’s 3 years old and still selling 100k above MSRP. We’re all Porsche owners, and appreciate the brand but to say a R is not special is just foolish in my opinion. I wouldn’t buy any any car at 100k over that just me, and the ones that do let them enjoy it. Most just stroke a check on these cars and it’s two weeks pay .........enjoy what you have solves all. All these listed are good premiums, and the original owners all paid MSRP. My good friend has over 20 P cars and this is the one he will not sell and enjoys the most. Says something, I have no bone in this fight I just don’t get the bashing. Go drive and have a drink.

https://www.dupontregistry.com/autos...0000&inv=false
Old 09-15-2018, 11:33 AM
TylerCoupe
Instructor

Received 131 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Maverick787
Interesting thread here, and I would buy an R at right price as many would here. A numbered plate GT car will always do well not sure I agree with the above. Remember its a 200k car that’s 3 years old and still selling 100k above MSRP. We’re all Porsche owners, and appreciate the brand but to say a R is not special is just foolish in my opinion. I wouldn’t buy any any car at 100k over that just me, and the ones that do let them enjoy it. Most just stroke a check on these cars and it’s two weeks pay .........enjoy what you have solves all. All these listed are good premiums, and the original owners all paid MSRP. My good friend has over 20 P cars and this is the one he will not sell and enjoys the most. Says something, I have no bone in this fight I just don’t get the bashing. Go drive and have a drink.

https://www.dupontregistry.com/autos...0000&inv=false
+1

who are you trying to convince? Drive more type less
Old 09-15-2018, 11:35 AM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,097 Likes on 544 Posts

Would the R be the undisputed ultimate 991 if it was a .2 send-off with new engine, etc, instead of .1? Probably so. Is it always going to have a little bit of an asterisk and need to explain WHY it's so special? Probably so. Is it one or two checks shy of a 67r/73rs/993gt2/997-4.0 era defining car? Yes. Is it still a very cool concept with exclusivity and some unique tuning? Yes. Would I add one to my small collection at the right price? Yes. Do I understand the hate? No.
Old 09-15-2018, 12:07 PM
WernerE
Three Wheelin'

Received 294 Likes on 158 Posts

Old 09-15-2018, 12:08 PM
Brian Himmelman
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Jrtaylor9
Would the R be the undisputed ultimate 991 if it was a .2 send-off with new engine, etc, instead of .1? Probably so. Is it always going to have a little bit of an asterisk and need to explain WHY it's so special? Probably so. Is it one or two checks shy of a 67r/73rs/993gt2/997-4.0 era defining car? Yes. Is it still a very cool concept with exclusivity and some unique tuning? Yes. Would I add one to my small collection at the right price? Yes. Do I understand the hate? No.

it it is the GT3 manual getting the hate and passive aggressive promo posts ... not the R ... most will agree the R is an epic 911 but is it hardly 50-100% better than the GT3 manual or Touring as implied by many here ... no 5% at best and highly subjective ... not one R owner has given the slightest kudos to the GT3 manual and Touring ... that in itself is speaks volumes
Old 09-15-2018, 12:15 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,092 Likes on 1,009 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian Himmelman

it it is the GT3 manual getting the hate and passive aggressive promo posts ... not the R ... most will agree the R is an epic 911 but is it hardly 50-100% better than the GT3 manual or Touring as implied by many here ... no 5% at best and highly subjective ... not one R owner has given the slightest kudos to the GT3 manual and T that in itself is speaks volumes
The touring is bad *** car and very good! Cars are emotional which drives value for that person, and performance is in the hands of the driver. I just like my GT3 with a big *** wing, and my DD is an SUV I’m easy.
Old 09-15-2018, 12:16 PM
Brian Himmelman
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Maverick787

The touring is bad *** car and very good! Cars are emotional which drives value for that person, and performance is in the hands of the driver. I just like my GT3 with a big *** wing, and my DD is an SUV I’m easy.
refreshing ... thank you !!
Old 09-15-2018, 01:52 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 1,012 Likes on 473 Posts

Chinese food has never had more fun getting to it's destination...

Still gets me every time...

Old 09-15-2018, 05:33 PM
Brian Himmelman
Burning Brakes

Default Motorsports stripe look great !! Happy Saturday

Old 09-15-2018, 05:54 PM
Brian Himmelman
Burning Brakes

Interesting discussion on making a 911 GT3 manual into a 911R. Of course, given enough time and money, it can be done – same as a 73 911 RS can be recreated from a more common model of a similar vintage. But a replica is almost never a 100% accurate recreation, and to me – instead of standing on its own, only serves to enhance the specialness of the original.

So, here is some food for thought…

Instead of spending significant $$$ to convert one carefully developed Porsche recipe – the GT3 – into another – the 911R, and ending up with something that is neither fish nor fowl, one could make their own recipe with the GT3. For example, it would be fun to make a truly unique 911 GT3 – e.g, add back seats, folding carbon buckets in the front, light Mg wheels, battery, and other parts from Robert Linton, custom paint, special exhaust and engine tuning, etc.

Of course, one wouldn’t get their money back from such a car and it wouldn’t be collectible. But then again, the same applies to a GT3 based 911R replica. But in the above example, the end result would be a truly unique car and that is exactly to your taste.

Who would ruin a perfect GT3 with a replica job ??? Change front bumper to an inferior one? Changing hood and roof for 8lbs ?? Change badges to R is total loser ?? Sounds pretty ridiculous about the same as someone adding a wing to an R to replica an RS ... not sure where you are coming from on this one ... crazy ... if you like the look throw on some Motorsports stripes like the GT3 owners above and enjoy !! But a replica 911 R car ... distasteful
Old 09-15-2018, 05:58 PM
localmotion411
Rennlist Member

Received 289 Likes on 94 Posts

^ agreed

These aren’t Mustangs. Each GT car is great in it’s own right and ought to be left alone.

Quick Reply: 911R Driving Impressions