Sponsored by:

911R Driving Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2016, 09:36 PM
GT3RS-Fan1
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Post#93 (BusDriver),

Thank you and would like to compliment you for sharing your 911R driving experience and keen feedback. Having read numerous positive feedback from car journalist, and now with what you (as an owner) wrote here makes future owners of the 911R delivery and acceptance even more exciting to look forward to.

Drive safe,
GT3RS-Fan1
Old 10-18-2016, 01:37 PM
BusDriver
Instructor

Received 222 Likes on 64 Posts

Glad that people found my writing useful - thank you for your comments.
I am very lucky to have the car and I am enjoy writing (and driving!) about it.

C.J. Ichiban - European delivery sounds great. If possible, the sooner the better as you may need winter tires now, esp in the Alps. Enjoy your car and please post your driving impressions here - look forward to reading them!

Also, would be great to hear driving impressions from other owners - wtdoom, apolo1, and other owners. Please post when you can.
Old 10-18-2016, 03:40 PM
Apolo1
Pro

Received 359 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by BusDriver
Glad that people found my writing useful - thank you for your comments.
I am very lucky to have the car and I am enjoy writing (and driving!) about it.

C.J. Ichiban - European delivery sounds great. If possible, the sooner the better as you may need winter tires now, esp in the Alps. Enjoy your car and please post your driving impressions here - look forward to reading them!

Also, would be great to hear driving impressions from other owners - wtdoom, apolo1, and other owners. Please post when you can.
I think you have covered all the points. The only point I would like to expand on is just how much different the engine feels to the one in my 91RS.
It really does feel like it has another 10% BHP, and the way it revs and sounds, reminds me a lot like a Ducati 996 SPS with sports pipes I used to have a while back.

Feel very lucky to own an R.....
Old 10-18-2016, 05:32 PM
JGC930
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad that people found my writing useful - thank you for your comments. I am very lucky to have the car and I am enjoy writing (and driving!) about it. C.J. Ichiban - European delivery sounds great. If possible, the sooner the better as you may need winter tires now, esp in the Alps. Enjoy your car and please post your driving impressions here - look forward to reading them! Also, would be great to hear driving impressions from other owners - wtdoom, apolo1, and other owners. Please post when you can.
Thanks for sharing your impressions, Im getting mine late this week, I will post my comments once I drive it for some kms
Old 10-20-2016, 04:44 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
Yes it does. Same as on the GT4. But only when the Sport button is engaged : if you want to do it yourself just don't press the Sport button.
Well, this struck me as odd. So I asked a mate of mine who has a GT4 (EU spec car living in the US), and who knows his car stuff. NO autoblipping on UPshifts on his car !

You are either:
-1- pulling my leg
-2- full of sh*t, know nothing and or can't drive a MT
-3- discovering a difference between US en EU spec cars, or maybe difference between software updates or versions !

Which option is it ? 1 or 3 ?
Old 10-20-2016, 07:13 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

The GT4 rev holds in Sport mode on upshifts. Fact. Period.
Old 10-20-2016, 08:37 AM
Leica 993
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bccars
Well, this struck me as odd. So I asked a mate of mine who has a GT4 (EU spec car living in the US), and who knows his car stuff. NO autoblipping on UPshifts on his car !

You are either:
-1- pulling my leg
-3- discovering a difference between US en EU spec cars, or maybe difference between software updates or versions !

Old 10-20-2016, 08:57 AM
Dante
Racer

Received 156 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
The GT4 rev holds in Sport mode on upshifts. Fact. Period.
same on the R
Old 10-20-2016, 11:58 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by bccars

You are either:
-1- pulling my leg

Option 4: your friend is incorrect.?.. no difference with Europe, have him try an upshift and then go back to neutral and he'll see how t holds.
Old 10-20-2016, 01:53 PM
BusDriver
Instructor

Received 222 Likes on 64 Posts

With the Sport button engaged, both cars - the GT4 and the 911R - will match revs on upshifts (and downshifts). But you feel the upshift blips a lot more in one car than the other...

On a GT4, rev matching on upshifts is barely noticeable as the engine has sufficient inertia to allow the natural slow decay of revs to make a smooth upshift without any throttle required. With the Sport button disengaged, one needs to heel and toe for smooth downshifts, but no throttle is needed for a smooth upshift unless the upshift is exceptionally slow.

However on a 911R, rev matching on upshifts a lot more noticeable because of the light flywheel and highly responsive engine. Throttle is required to match revs when making an upshift as the engine looses revs to quickly otherwise. Similar to a CGT in this regard. Cool to feel the throttle blips for upshifts with the Sport button engaged - makes the R feel a lot more aggressive.
Old 10-20-2016, 02:13 PM
Footsoldier
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Surely if you change gear quickly enough, you don't need blips on upshifts? Race cars manage with even less inertia.

Wasn't planning to ever touch the Rev match button. May ask dealer to delete it, to save weight ;-)
Old 10-20-2016, 02:21 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,839 Likes on 954 Posts

However on a 911R, rev matching on upshifts a lot more noticeable because of the light flywheel and highly responsive engine.
Be very interesting to know how the weight of this flywheel compares to 997.2 RS single-mass flywheel.

It'd be great to see them address the PDK inertia and weight issue in 991.2 RS regardless of whether it remains automatic-only.
Old 10-20-2016, 03:05 PM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

OK, so the upshift blip is there in the GT4 but only noticeable if you shift much too slow. That's why he has never noticed it !
This does make me want to drive the 911R to see how slow you have to be to invoke the blip. Damn it, I couldn't care less about that car in the past, now I want to drive it. Damn you guys for planting this seed in my mind ;-)
Old 10-20-2016, 03:13 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 917 Posts

Just hope (or pray depending on your beliefs) that SMFW is offered on the GT3... just really really focus on that wish and it just may happen.
Old 10-21-2016, 07:26 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Absolutely right CAlexio, my chances of driving an R are virtually non existant. Driving a 991.2 GT3 with MT is a more realistic goal !

Quick Reply: 911R Driving Impressions