Rennlist Member

Received 11,543 Likes on 5,065 Posts

Originally Posted by fxz
.1 3RS 3281 lbs with steel brakes and to compare the 3500lbs GT R add another
100lbs because of turbos , so expect

3380lbs GT2 RS
(din) 3430lbs AMG GT R

RS pccb *and ...without turbo engine...

Where are you getting that number for the (presumably) 997 GT2 RS?

The official quoted weight for the 997 GT2 RS is the following from the official Porsche press release on the car:

ATLANTA - May 12, 2010 - The time: seven minutes, 18 seconds on the Nürburgring-Nordschleife. The power: 620 hp. The weight: 3,020 lb (1,370 kilograms) in road trim with all fluids on board. The car: the new 2011 Porsche 911 GT2 RS.
http://press.porsche.com/news/release.php?id=542
Old 03-27-2017, 01:07 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,631 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
How is a GT3RS with a tuned TTS motor and active aero appendages fron TTS going to be a $300K car??
hey dont ask me
i was told germans are more business savvy then the dutch
they have their ways.
i sure wish i am wrong as i have no interest in cutting a 300k chk + stealer premium.

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
I already have a log cabin in MT where I store my RS.
dont forget that i own half that musty cabin, pal.

Originally Posted by 997rs4.0
We'll just have to wait and see. I have very high expectations on the gt2rs.
But, totally agree with you that competition is fierce in this segment.
i have high expdection too. and fear of high $$$$$$$$$
Old 03-27-2017, 02:42 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,058 Likes on 578 Posts

It's really funny reading these threads going back and forth...

To clear the air on a few things:

Unotaz- where did you drive the 720S??

Official press drives and launches are not available until april

Dealer principals / GM have launch event in rome in may

Did you get to drive the white car at amelia?

Second:

675LTs don't chew through CCB any faster than an other car on CCB- IF YOU RTFM and burnish them in correctly! Also- if you're good enough to drive sans ESC then you don't burn the rear brakes, you burn your tires. The LT really responds well (lap time) with slip angle down into the middle of the corner and then small rolling speed delta as opposed to the porsche massive delta with bigger throttle inputs and lifts.

Also- you can use z/28 // z/R1 chevy rotors and pads as replacement!! Factoid. Very cheap.

LT's are multiple seconds faster than an RS or especially a 458 sp which is under-tired. The RS is super track worthy because of the tires and rear steering. The RS has 20% more contact patch than a P1 (same as a 918!!) which gives them a huge traction advantage exiting slow corners and also on the brakes from 5th gear to 2nd gear style hairpins. But those mich cuppers are super pricey. So that's your consumable burden.

In regards to "wooden brake feel" on LT/ 720S etc...

The car has a super short brake pedal, like a GT3 cup car or a formula car. You have to adapt your braking style to use more brake down to the apex (this is how you drive a midengined car anyway) instead of braking early in a straighter line (P1 especially you need to carry 30% of your braking past turn in point). They also like LFB.

Most people that drive miatas or other track cars have a hard time adapting to the porsche driving style- this is the same but different.

There is a proper "mclaren" driving style. It's slightly slippy down to the apex and very clean off the apex. For max lap times.

- in regards to depreciation etc...

Market for a GT3RS was 270-290k+ a year ago.

The last one I bought was a lot cheaper. Isn't that depreciation? LT coupe market is right around sticker as well. Maybe a little different depending on color...like an RS. Lava is worth less $ than silver or UV on the open market today.
Old 03-27-2017, 02:46 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Another thing

I was at the MVP track day at COTA a few weeks ago in my cup car. LOTS of cool cars.

10+ RS
Race cars everywhere.
No P1
A few 3? 458 sp
A few mclarens.
8-10 cup cars.

Reminded me of Jan 2008 track days. People beat on their cars. I just don't go to certain track days anymore because of format/ crowd.
Old 03-27-2017, 06:00 AM
Footsoldier
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
It's really funny reading these threads going back and forth...

To clear the air on a few things:

Second:

675LTs don't chew through CCB any faster than an other car on CCB- IF YOU RTFM and burnish them in correctly! Also- if you're good enough to drive sans ESC then you don't burn the rear brakes, you burn your tires. The LT really responds well (lap time) with slip angle down into the middle of the corner and then small rolling speed delta as opposed to the porsche massive delta with bigger throttle inputs and lifts.

Also- you can use z/28 // z/R1 chevy rotors and pads as replacement!! Factoid. Very cheap.

LT's are multiple seconds faster than an RS or especially a 458 sp which is under-tired. The RS is super track worthy because of the tires and rear steering. The RS has 20% more contact patch than a P1 (same as a 918!!) which gives them a huge traction advantage exiting slow corners and also on the brakes from 5th gear to 2nd gear style hairpins. But those mich cuppers are super pricey. So that's your consumable burden.
I don't own an LT, (did briefly own a 570GT), but I can think of 4 friends who track their LTs, and are on the fast side of track day drivers. Some of them own an RS as well.

Each one of them is (relatively) chewing through disks on the LT, and that is their main, in some cases only, complaint about it. They are not happy that 720 has same spec, and some have changed to the chevy alternatives as you say, to reduce replacement costs

I guess it's possible they are all not bedding them in properly, but it is what they describe as the 'achilles heel' of the LT, and they don't have same issues with the RS brakes.

Can't comment further as I'm not an owner, but there are one or two others on here who are, and may chime in.

Agree with the rest of what you say - performance is on another level from an RS.
Old 03-27-2017, 10:04 AM
TurboDogue
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Cota

Originally Posted by Jrtaylor9
Agree. I was just at an event at COTA. There was one other RS of ANY vintage other than mine. One UV and one LO in entire lot. The most common work horses were 997.2 gt3's and gt4s. Were also a few 991 Gt3 but RS's were all at home in garage.
exactly. I saw you in LO. I was in red GT4 --and my buddy was the UV RS. Total of 11 gt4 cars on Sunday all classes. Similar town of 997 and 991 gt3 and the two RS. I don't track my RS anymore as it's far cheaper/less economic risk to simply take the gt4. It's why I bought it
Old 03-27-2017, 10:13 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,843 Likes on 955 Posts

Market for a GT3RS was 270-290k+ a year ago.

The last one I bought was a lot cheaper. Isn't that depreciation? LT coupe market is right around sticker as well. Maybe a little different depending on color...like an RS. Lava is worth less $ than silver or UV on the open market today.
Nope. That's stupid coming out of the market. Depreciation starts when they drop below MSRP.

But interesting comments on the other stuff. Macca continues to up the game.
Old 03-27-2017, 11:37 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Nizer
Nope. That's stupid coming out of the market. Depreciation starts when they drop below MSRP.

But interesting comments on the other stuff. Macca continues to up the game.
Ok so only msrp relates to depreciation?
Old 03-27-2017, 12:36 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Ok so only msrp relates to depreciation?
When you do leases at your dealerships do you add the market premium paid to the normal residual value? Rhetorical question. No need to answer.

But to answer your question, yes depreciation starts at MSRP because I never pay over MSRP.
Old 03-27-2017, 01:59 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Nizer
When you do leases at your dealerships do you add the market premium paid to the normal residual value? Rhetorical question. No need to answer.

But to answer your question, yes depreciation starts at MSRP because I never pay over MSRP.
well you are one of the lucky guys that obtained a car at MSRP. I had to buy my RS's over MSRP this last round through.
Old 03-27-2017, 02:09 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

well you are one of the lucky guys that obtained a car at MSRP. I had to buy my RS's over MSRP this last round through.
too many good cars out there that can be had at msrp to pay over IMO. but you won't have to worry about that problem next time around, will you?
Old 03-27-2017, 06:09 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,631 Likes on 758 Posts

Charge me over MSRP and I'll buy my own dealership
Old 03-27-2017, 08:59 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Every problem has a solution.
Old 03-27-2017, 09:59 PM
porscheflat6
Drifting

Received 225 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by Jrtaylor9
Had to be a different one than I was at??
What dates? they go there 3 to 4 times a year. Do you run Speed Ventures, MVP, or other events?
Old 03-27-2017, 11:23 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Charge me over MSRP and I'll buy my own dealership
I know of a few for sale

BUT- would you go live there?

do you have anyone to hire that won't steal from you?

Quick Reply: 991 GT2RS