Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991 GT2RS

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2017, 08:11 AM
Footsoldier
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The 2RS will very likely stand up to a lot more hard use (eg track) than either of the other two, which is what it's made for. (Notwithstanding that any road car is a big compromise on a track)

675LTs chew through brakes for a start, and the 458 Speciale is also limited in the amount of hard use it can take, as is the 488. (2 hard laps and it's flagging with tyre heat etc) The GT3RS by contrast has all the years of GT dept. experience behind it, and the 2RS will be the same. (I'm getting a 488 in May and would be able to get a Speciale so no agenda - they are different types of car)

I know quite a lot of people who track cars such as these, and after being blown away by the performance of say a 675LT initially, the suitability of the 3RS to consistent (relativity...) inexpensive heavy use has come into its own over time.

After the .2GT3 rumour factory, I'm staying away from making too many predictions, but I have heard the 2RS is pretty close to 700bhp.

One thing that's been heard consistently by a number of people, and confirmed by dealers who know, is that the 2RS is going to cost more than 2x the price of a .2GT3; up to €300,000.
Old 03-25-2017, 10:35 AM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 130 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Footsoldier
The 2RS will very likely stand up to a lot more hard use (eg track) than either of the other two, which is what it's made for. (Notwithstanding that any road car is a big compromise on a track)

675LTs chew through brakes for a start, and the 458 Speciale is also limited in the amount of hard use it can take, as is the 488. (2 hard laps and it's flagging with tyre heat etc) The GT3RS by contrast has all the years of GT dept. experience behind it, and the 2RS will be the same. (I'm getting a 488 in May and would be able to get a Speciale so no agenda - they are different types of car)

I know quite a lot of people who track cars such as these, and after being blown away by the performance of say a 675LT initially, the suitability of the 3RS to consistent (relativity...) inexpensive heavy use has come into its own over time.

After the .2GT3 rumour factory, I'm staying away from making too many predictions, but I have heard the 2RS is pretty close to 700bhp.

One thing that's been heard consistently by a number of people, and confirmed by dealers who know, is that the 2RS is going to cost more than 2x the price of a .2GT3; up to €300,000.
If that price is true? Porsche better deliver a modern 993gt2 club sport with 700+ hp.

Won't be enough to slap a turbo on a 991.2gt3rs and call it a day.
Old 03-25-2017, 10:45 AM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It's interesting hearing about, fewer than ever, do you see .1GT3's on track compared to years ago. This goes the same, and more so with the .1RS, where most are either garage queens or C & C cars. So why when we compare the 2RS vs the latest Fcar's and Mac's, saying they're better on the track when they'll be that many more that will never see the track. All these GT cars are getting far too expensive to track. I'd really like to see the figures of tracked gt3 vs gt3rs vs gt2rs vs Fcar's vs Mac's.
Old 03-25-2017, 10:54 AM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 813 Likes on 427 Posts

Originally Posted by unotaz
Well, for a starter, if you haven't been in the Ferrari VIP circle, you ain't getting a 488 Speciale at sticker. You will need to buy the car at market and this pretty much puts everyone off.

The Mclaren 720S is a good choice (performance is mega as I have driven it already), but reliability is still an issue and depreciation will be killer.

That leaves the GT2RS and for some, they might be able to get one at MSRP, which makes it the only logical choice in this price segment.
Bingo in a word.
Old 03-25-2017, 11:05 AM
SHAG
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ferrari and McLaren keep putting the engine too far forward.
Being in a Porsche just feels comfortable/ natural to me.
I prefer less attention being in Porsche over Mc or F.
I don't think it will be as expensive as either 488 or 720 and I expect it to do as well or better on most tracks.
I always see GT3s when I go to the track but haven't seen a Ferrari here (CO) on it yet and the only McLaren I saw was a 675 LT that was getting passed by Miatas.
Old 03-25-2017, 01:29 PM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 436 Likes on 262 Posts

Old 03-25-2017, 02:22 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 813 Likes on 427 Posts

Ferraris don't do anything for me.

I love the Macs but their depreciation is killer. I realize most cars depreciate but I have no interest in takeing a $60K to $70K hit first year. My money tree died years ago.

I love Porsches. "A Porsche is a Porsche".

Wait...did someone already put this in the most used sayings thread? If not lets add it.
Old 03-25-2017, 02:44 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 130 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by bronson7
It's interesting hearing about, fewer than ever, do you see .1GT3's on track compared to years ago. This goes the same, and more so with the .1RS, where most are either garage queens or C & C cars. So why when we compare the 2RS vs the latest Fcar's and Mac's, saying they're better on the track when they'll be that many more that will never see the track. All these GT cars are getting far too expensive to track. I'd really like to see the figures of tracked gt3 vs gt3rs vs gt2rs vs Fcar's vs Mac's.
I don't think the number of GT/RS cars that are being tracked is less today than before. Just added a new clientele of buyers that only drive them to C&C.
That's why Porsche managed to sell more of these modern Gt/Rs cars than they did before.
That and the PDK.
Old 03-25-2017, 04:27 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,287 Likes on 677 Posts

Originally Posted by 997rs4.0
If that price is true? Porsche better deliver a modern 993gt2 club sport with 700+ hp.

Won't be enough to slap a turbo on a 991.2gt3rs and call it a day.
Thats really my point. If Porsche is going to charge 300K for this car, I think it should be really special, not just a Turbo S with front wheel drive removed and the boost turned up 8%.

Why does the 675LT chew through brakes? I would think it would go through less brakes and tires than a G2TRS or 488 because the 675LT is 300-400 lbs lighter than either of those cars.

Agree that a GT2RS would likely stand up to regular track use with much more reliability than a 488 or 720s. I doubt that very many of these cars will see much track use due to their 300K price tag, although I'm sure there are some people with tens or hundreds of millions that would track any of them without a second thought.

As you said, the most reliable exotic to track is a Porsche GT car, although RSs are rarely seen at the track these days again due to their price/values, and its the GT4s and GT3s that see the track most frequently out of the 991 generation.

Last edited by Drifting; 03-25-2017 at 04:46 PM.
Old 03-25-2017, 04:43 PM
porscheflat6
Drifting

Received 225 Likes on 147 Posts

There are more RS's than I imagined. I just got back from two edge addicts COTA event and 5 most scene cars: Porsche GT4 & GT3/RS 2:1 ratio, Corvettes, Camero ZL1's. The Porsches were the most dominant as a total combined which was surprising. There were a few Ferrari's and decent Mac turnout but they have a strong presence in Austin. Great dealership I keep hearing about.
Old 03-25-2017, 05:03 PM
unotaz
Drifting

Received 937 Likes on 412 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting
Why does the 675LT chew through brakes? I would think it would go through less brakes and tires than a G2TRS or 488 because the 675LT is 300-400 lbs lighter than either of those cars.
Lack of a limited slip differential. They mimic the sensation of a locking diff through constant application of the rear brakes and voila!
Old 03-25-2017, 05:13 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Lack of a limited slip differential. They mimic the sensation of a locking diff through constant application of the rear brakes and voila!
Ah.

Good point. Thanks.
Old 03-25-2017, 05:19 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ****
I prefer less attention being in Porsche over Mc or F.

I always see GT3s when I go to the track but haven't seen a Ferrari here (CO) on it yet and the only McLaren I saw was a 675 LT that was getting passed by Miatas.
LOL, I love that story about the 675 LT owner getting passed by miatas, kind reminds of the rich guys you see in Colorado on $13,000 mountain bikes getting passed all the time by the guys on $1,300 bikes.

Does your purple RS really get that much less attention than a Ferrari?
Old 03-25-2017, 05:39 PM
Footsoldier
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

plus the brake disks are not up t the job. It's to do with the coating on the current generation Porsche ones, which is way ahead of what Mac uses. Apollo can explain it best...

It's the biggest complaint from guys I know who track the 675 - they are chewing through disks. 720 has same brakes so won't be any better.
Old 03-25-2017, 06:19 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

plus the brake disks are not up t the job. It's to do with the coating on the current generation Porsche ones, which is way ahead of what Mac uses. Apollo can explain it best...

It's the biggest complaint from guys I know who track the 675 - they are chewing through disks. 720 has same brakes so won't be any better.
Weird that Mclaren hasn't addressed at least the quality of the brake discs for reliability. Compared to Porsches the macs do have problems modulating the brakes for car control at speed on the track, although to be fair, the brakes are much better in the 650 than in the MP4. I haven't personally driven a 675LT.

Porsche brakes are a step above, although lots of GT owners still go aftermarket for improved durability of their brake pads and rotors, which I assume the Mac owners could do as well.

Also wonder why mclaren refuses to put a rear diff on their cars. Now that Unotaz brought it up, I remember Evo complaining that the lack of the rear diff was one of their biggest annoyances with the 650 and LT, and that Mclarens work around with the brakes wasn't as good as just including a differential on this 300K car.

Quick Reply: 991 GT2RS